- Expert on Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended by the Workforce Investment Act of 1998, and the Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board Electronic and Information (EIT) Accessibility Standards (36 CFR part 1194), that require (unless an exception applies) all EIT products and services developed, acquired, maintained, or used by any Federal department or agency permit:
- Federal employees with disabilities to have access to and use information and data that is comparable to the access and use of information and data by Federal employees who are not individuals with disabilities; and
- Members of the public with disabilities seeking information or services from a Federal agency to have access to and use of information and data that is comparable to the access and use of information and data by members of the public who are not individuals with disabilities.
- Fully efficient use of assistive devices, accessibility software, automated testing tools used to identify non - compliance issues, and the remediation of Government communications.
- Expert facets of advanced Web design, online content, printed matter, electronic media, and video presentations.
- Skilled in hardware/software desktop support, troubleshooting services, database development, Website integration, and system administration.
- Advance knowledge of Website Internet Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Search Engine Marketing (SEM) strategies and implementation.
- Quality Assurance Testing maintaining traceability between application requirements and products under development, including developing testing plans/execution of test cases, reports results, and documents defects.
IT SKILLS / EXPERENCE SUMMARY:
SEO/SEM: Google Analytics, Google SiteMaps and Webmaster Tools, Search Marketing Products
Section 508 Accessibility: Accenture, JAWS, MAGic, Dragon Naturally Speaking, ZoomText, FireEyes, ACCVerify, Window-Eyes, Wave, Adobe Acrobat
Graphics Design Software: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Fireworks
Web Development Software: Microsoft Visual Studio, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Flash
Layout/Publishing Software: Adobe InDesign, Microsoft Publisher, QuarkXPress, Visio
Other: Microsoft Office, Lotus Notes, Word Perfect
Confidential, Jersey City, NJ
It Specialist, Section 508 Compliance and Web Site Developer
- Maintain/remediate and update content on web applications for compliance with Section 508/HHS web standards.
- Create Section 508 compliance versions of HTML, PDF, MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint documents.
- Create Section 508 scripts for web site/web applications.
- Provide scanned results and remediation recommendations to content owners to correct 508 issues.
Confidential, Linthicum, MD
Section 508 Test Lead
- Develop, execute and maintain Section 508-compliant test plans, test cases and test documentation; review existing test plans and suggest improvements
- Perform all aspects of Section 508-compliant testing using the JAWS Screen Reader such as web page and electronic document validation; use automated and manual testing procedures
- Use Section 508 policies and accessibility best practices in all testing activities
- Review and update requirements to ensure alignment with Section 508 policies including WCAG 2.0.
- Perform testing in compliance with information security (IS), IT and business policies, processes and procedures
- Perform end-to-end Section 508 compliance testing for a complex software environment on a platform to include commercial, off the shelf (COTS) software solutions, state systems and external government and carrier entities.
- Review and analyze technical requirements, gain a thorough understanding of project scope and support testing efforts that are aligned with project parameters and goals
- Write and execute test cases through manual and automated processes
- Document test plan results and report testing activity status to the Test Lead
- Communicate the daily status of the testing environment, builds and releases
- Execute test plans using various testing methods, levels and objectives
- Create test management plans, use cases, release notes and test scenario templates
- Detect errors and bugs, research origin of errors and recommend bug fixes; collaborate with engineers to determine root causes and keep problem resolution/issues log
- Provide input for testing activity and quality assurance (QA) reviews and audits
- Review technical documentation and maintain knowledge about software releases
- Install/update software on machines in test environments; maintain lab infrastructure
- Maintain industry/technical knowledge base and facilitate/maintain industry relationships.
Confidential, Rockville, MD
Section 508 Remediation Specialist
- Remediated documents in accordance with Section 508 standards with an emphasis on large, complicated and corrupted files.
- Performed 508 testing using JAWS and manual techniques.
- Provided guidance to government client regarding Section 508 requirements and law.
Confidential, Laurel, MD
Senior Business Consultant/Section 508 Specialist
- Produced public release ready 508 compliant products to include HTML templates, MS Office Suite deliverables, CDs, Video, and PDF documents.
- Used remediation tools including JAWS, MAGic, NVDA, WAVE, Dragon Naturally Speaking, browser accessibility toolbars.
- Managed customer relationships and requests.
- Followed and reported on new/updated Section 508 requirements and the techniques needed to comply with federal and agency specific policies.
- Mentored staff on HTML semantics/tagging, hyperlink integrity, and remediation of Section 508 accessibility issues.
- This included the ability to interpret the reading order and flow of large, text-heavy documents with graphics, charts and complex tables.
- Provided expert knowledge of advanced PDF coding.
Confidential, Bethesda, MD
Project Manager/Section 508 Specialist
- Developed inventories of document content and develop strategic action plans to accomplish remediation efforts.
- Created a 508 strategic plan and schedule.
- Worked with 508 Work Group members to build a plan and schedule to support Confidential Section 508 Compliance.
- Provided an assessment that included a catalogue of materials for remediation and recommendations of tools to support compliance.
- Reviewed and tested existing Program documentation content for Section 508 compliance and corrected any existing problems (remediate). Such documentation included online courses, student guides, files associated with process documentation, user information and forms, and other program documentation.
- Provided assistance with the development of future documentation by ensuring Section 508 compliance of finished products.
- Offered recommendations to documentation developers in the interest of planning for Section 508-compliant design of future products.
- Coordinated, planned and prepared materials for all 508 Work Group meetings.
- Prepared and provided information awareness documents and in-person sessions on 508 compliance tools, helpful hints, FAQs, 508 compliance standards and presentations on 508 compliance progress for meetings.
Confidential, Winsor Mill and Bethesda, MD
Section 508 Consultant
- Web applications including content management systems (CMS).
- Accessible documents using Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Power Point, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Acrobat (including electronic fillable forms).
- Assistive Technology tools (primarily Freedom Scientific’s JAWS and Nuance’s Dragon Naturally Speaking products).
- Performed Section 508 Compliance Testing and Evaluation, in accordance with Section 508 and Accessibility Standards, for:
- Accessible documents using Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Power Point, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Other electronic and information technology that contains a user interface and is subject to Section 508 law.
- Beta testing new releases of assistive technology, testing tools and development tools (to determine tool’s ability to generate Section 508 compliant output).
- Provided operations and management support to improve the effectiveness of the client’s Section 508 Program:
- Conducted analysis of Accessibility Architecture and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Developed processes to help improve the effectiveness and efficiency of Section 508 planning, design, development and testing activities.
- Prepared and conducted training on Section 508 planning, design, development, and testing activities.
- Identified, developed and validated best practices for implementing Section 508 standards.
- Participated in Section 508 research relating to the practical implementation of Section 508.
- Participated in efforts to improve communication and collaboration with respect to Section 508 compliance activities.
- Delivered presentations on Section 508 and accessibility initiatives.
- Mentored less experienced team members.
Confidential, Lanham, MD
Section 508 Analyst
- Researched and provided subject matter expertise and technical assistance with creating or improving testing protocols, accessibility testing plans, quality assurance planning, design standards, guidelines and checklists. Look for innovative approaches to accessibility and usability.
- Provided written testing summaries and detailed analysis to support results of accessibility testing and evaluations. If needed, discuss and explain these findings verbally.
- Performed both comprehensive automated and manual usability testing on websites and web applications, including use of AT software (JAWS, WindowsEyes, Dragon Naturally Speaking, MAGgic, Zoom-Text, etc.).
- Managed document assessment and remediation services, including testing, analysis, validation, and remediation (PDF, MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, etc.).
- Coached developers on accessible and usable web design techniques to enable proper creation of compliant applications.
- Prepared training curriculum and course modules and conduct training sessions remotely and on client site.
Confidential, Rockville, MD
Senior Associate, Section 508 Specialist/QA Testing Lead
- Worked with Web teams in the Confidential Office of the Director (OD) to interpret and understand the impact of reported compliance testing data.
- Assisted OD Section 508 Coordinator with report preparation and remediation activities.
- Reviewed reports from automated section 508 compliance testing tools.
- Assisted Web editors, content writers, and developers in understanding Section 508 issues.
- Responded to queries regarding Section 508 standards for Web and electronic media.
- Tracked and monitored incoming Section 508 support requests.
- Performed duties of Quality Assurance Test Lead, included development and execution of project-specific test plans, requirements traceability, and documents test results and defects.
Confidential, Rockville, MD
Section 508 Systems Analyst/Contractor
- Developed a checklist to assist users in verifying and modifying their Web documents and applications for full Section 508 compliancy in accordance with latest DHHS 508 Compliancy standards (includes Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe PDF files residing on the intranet and SharePoint sites).
- Assessed latest 508 software and made recommendations for purchase (JAWS, ACCVerify, Window-Eyes, World Space-Deque Systems).
- Served as a resource or directly assisted users in correcting their Web documents and applications for full Section 508 compliancy in accordance with latest DHHS 508 compliancy standards.
- Assisted with the development and implementation of a training effort for staff members who signed off on the compliancy of all documents or applications for inclusion on the Internet/intranet.
- Assisted with the development and implementation of a training effort for Project Officers, who either developed or supervised the development of documents/applications or were required to sign off on the compliancy of all contractor provided deliverables for inclusion on the Internet/intranet.
- Amended documents and applications to achieve Section 508 compliancy where necessary.
- Developed a testing strategy to ensure any electronic and information technology such as electronic documents, videos, CDs for distribution, hardware, software, and email developed or procured met Section 508 compliancy standards.
Confidential, Rockville, MD
- Primary Web Developer assigned to work on National Eye Institute (NEI) government contract.
- Member of Web Development team responsible for 20 plus simultaneous contracts.
- CSS layout in .net environment with concentration on Section 508 compliance and accessibility standards. Primary focus on redesign for this purpose.
- Ran accessibility checks on Websites to determine compliance.
- Evaluated documents for inclusion on Websites to ensure Section 508 compliance, including tagging PDF, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and multimedia files.
- Involved in training workshops to inform and teach Confidential staff Section 508 compliance and accessibility standards.
- Liaised with in-house multimedia studio and client to produce video presentations and online media.
Confidential, Columbia, MD
Web Designer, SEO/SEM Supervisor
- Performed graphic design for company’s proprietary content management system.
- Was responsible for direct communication with manager of programming team to ensure designs are compatible with back- end databases and operations.
- Ensured sites continued to meet SEO/SEM and proper XHTML, CSS, and Section 508 standards.
- Reviewed Request for Proposals for design layout and SEO/SEM.
- Web page optimization of navigation, load times, graphics, XHTML and CSS ensuring W3C cross-platform and browser compliance of existing new client Websites.
- Evaluated and tested client’s existing site infrastructure.
- Performed Keyword Market Research on targeted markets searching habits.
- Worked with System Administrator to review server logs and created statistical analysis to project future behaviors.
- Redesigned existing sites by incorporating programming standards XHTML, CSS, and Section 508, utilizing layers (div) vs. tables, and Search Engine Optimization practices to produce Websites for Search Engine traffic and improving natural search engine positioning.
- Developed print marketing materials, such as brochures, folders, business cards, and flyers.