- 16 years experience in data modeling, data, database architecture planning, administration, performance tuning, and project management.
- 8 years in OLTP applications and 9 years in data warehouse applications utilizing Oracle, DB2 Universal Database (UDB), Sybase, and MS SQL Server.
- Plus 6 years experience in coding and data modeling in COBOL, CICS, and DB2 environment.
- System architecture planning, feasibility studies for tool selections, project plan creation and implementation, JAD facilitator for business process and data analysis, logical and physical database design through the use of case tools for large databases (over 1 TB), task management for system integration among users, programmers, and management, logical database design and physical database implementation, ETL processing, performance tuning and coding.
- Database replication from mainframe DB2 UDB to NT DB2 UDB, from DB2 to Sybase, from Sybase to Sybase, from Oracle to Sybase and SQLAnywhere.
- Bank, Brokerage, Telecommunication, Pharmaceutical, Retail, Property & Casualty Insurance, Transportation, Defense, Travel, Utility, Restaurant, and Healthcare
DATABASES: Oracle, DB2UDB, DB2, Sybase, Sybase Replication Server, SQLAnywhere, MS SQL ServerDATA WAREHOUSE TOOLS
ETL: Informatica, IWay ETL ManagerDB2 Data Warehouse Center
BI: Brio, WebFocus Reporting Tool, Oracle DiscoverImpromtu, Cognos Framework Manager
LANGUAGES: JAVA, C, HTML, XML, PL/SQL, Transact - SQLUnix shell scripts CICS, COBOL, COBOLIICOBOL/VSAM
HARDWARE: Sun workstations, HP V2000 and 9000IBM RS6000, IBM 3090, 3080, PCs
CASETOOLS: ERWin, Power Designer (S-Designer), System ArchitectOracle Designer, Rational Rose
OPERATING SYSTEMS: HP Unix, Sun Solaris, SunOS, Mach, AIX, MVS/XAOS/JCL, Window 2003, Windows NT, Window XP
OTHERS: Oracle Enterprise Manager, DBArtisan, CocobaseToad, SQL Navigator, OmniConnect, IBM utilitiesTSO/ISPF
Data Warehouse Architect
Confidential, Tampa, FL
- Design an enterprise data warehouse for Confidential to consolidate, pharmacy claims, and premium data into one data warehouse for profitability analysis in a rapid phase; intergraded 3 subsystems with multi million transactions per month in 6 months.
- Hold JAD sessions with users and review existing documentation and current source systems to derive requirement details.
- Data architect planning and create dimensional data model by following the methodology of Data Warehouse Institute and Ralph Kimball.
- Document metadata about data elements, table definitions, data transformation logic, & load process.
- Set strategy for data load and validation, write SQL, performance tuning for ETL process.
Confidential, Ft Lauderdale, FL
Data Warehouse Architect & Performance Tuning
- Design a data warehouse for sales transaction analysis to identify profitable region, restaurant, locations, products, promotions, and minimize expenses to achieve higher profitability
- Application production support: troubleshooting for DB2 & MS SQL Server stored procedures and tune the procedures reduced runtime by 90%
- Create source, target, and process models to load data with DB2 Data warehouse Center
Confidential, Orlando, FL
- Wrote SQL and performance tuned existing SQL, reduce processing time by 50% to 95%
Confidential, Juno Beach, FL
- Review Cognos report technical specifications and generated SQL to identify incorrect SQL statements or potential performance problems
- Decide partition and index strategy for tables and indexes
Confidential, McLean, VA
- Diagnosed performance problems for load processes for a data warehouse application, reviewed database physical layout, identify the problem area, reduce the load time for 110 minutes to 10 minutes
Confidential, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Understood requirements and deliverable, identified subject areas and entities to consolidate various data warehouse about reservations, passengers, revenues, travel partner, commissions into an enterprise conceptual model
- Helped project manager to set project implementation strategy and create detailed project plans and allocate appropriate work hours for each task
- Reviewed and analyzed system documents, hold JAD sessions to discuss current problems and new requirements, review current data models to create an enterprise Operation Data Store for all systems.
- Researched and confirmed data definition for every column and code value from current system dictionary, users, and programmers to create Data Warehouse data dictionary includes various value counts and notations
- Created data flow diagram for current systems and data mapping document to describe source, target tables and transformation logic
- Created Informatica ETL mapping to test load
Oracle Data Warehouse Architect
Confidential, Orlando, FL
- Data architect for an integrated data warehouse project for an equipment failure analysis project from multiple source systems.
- Gathered, analyzed, and researched data requirements and existing applications to identify data attributes, entities, business rules and the relationship of data by holding JAD sessions and consulting with data users, application programmers, and management to transform requirements into logical data model for Operational Data Store.
- Identified dimensions, facts, and grains. Used conformed dimensions and facts to create an enterprise model with slowly changing dimensions by following the methodology of Data Warehouse Institute and Ralph Kimball.
- Set naming standards for business attributes and defined data types, sizes, formats
- Convert logical model to physical model with performance consideration to avoid long running queries.
- Generated DDL using ERWin, and created tables in Oracle.
- Architecture planning for new data warehouse project proposal by recommending feasible database vendor and tool sets for the nature of the project
- Consolidated data from various departments into the data warehouse to populate the enterprise model. Created data validation routines to identify and solve discrepancies on data values, insure data integrity. Created various data marts for various group of users.
- Defined load process, using IWay ETL manager for data transformation to load data from multiple sources. Created copy requests and troubleshoot ETL problems
- Provided selected data from Data Warehouse to OLTP applications to enhance application's ability
- SQL performance tuning to decrease loading time from 12 hours to 8 minutes and decreased reporting time from a few hours to less then one minute
- Created and tested WebFocus report objects and standard reports to meet user requirements
DB2 UDB DBA
Confidential, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Supported multiple projects in a multiple node & instances environment for supply chain applications
- Created and modified tables, constraints, indexes, triggers, and users
- Duplicated, backed up and restored databases
- Optimized query, moved data between different databases by utilizing import, export, and load utilities
- Made performance tuning recommendations, such as using DMS tablespaces with separate bufferpool for data & index storage for large tables. Utilizing multiple data files from different logical volumes for temporary tablespace, large tables, and database log to spread I/O contention and reduce I/O time. Made changes to some configuration parameters for database and instance to enable parallelism and increase system resource utilization.
Confidential, Tampa, FL
- Reviewed requirement documentation and held JAD sessions with users to identity business attributes, entities, relationships to create a logical data model in ERWin for a web application for an insurance quoting system for Westfield Property & Casualty Insurance Company by following the data modeling principle to the 3RD normal form
- Defined naming standards for data attributes, created data dictionary, insured data integrity and controlled data quality
- Application is written in Java EJB Beans. Application logic involves evaluation of various conditions such as; the type of insurance, coverage, line of business, subject conditions, insured amount and many others to determine the insurance quote instantly on the web to improve efficiency and reduce commission costs
- Convert logical data model to physical database structure by defining data types, sizes, indexes and doing some entity modifications such as; consolidating small condition tables into one condition table to facilitate Java object access, created some object like tables to reduce joins and decrease response time
- Identified all primary keys and indexes for all the tables
- Install DB2 UDB and DB2 Connect on Win NT platform, modified some database manager and database configuration parameters to improve database efficiency
- Structured database file layout and created databases, tablespaces, tables, indexes, constraints, users, triggers, and granting permissions
- Used Cocobase to map database tables to Java objects and generated java code
- Wrote Java test clients to test Weblogic EJB beans
- Tested DB2 UDB replication process, duplicated a DB2 database from OS/390 to DB2 UDB on Win NT and maintained it
- Identified and resolved database related problems in application development and testing
Confidential, Charlotte, NC
Project Management, Data and Database Architect, Data Modeler and Physical DBA
- Co-managed a data warehouse project for analyzing credit card information
- Reviewed project plan, identified incorrect steps and unreasonable time line, created new project plan, prioritizing user requirements, using iterative approach to have incremental deliveries
- Reassigned resources, coordinated project tasks and activities, tracked issues and reported project status to management
- Studied requirements, reviewed current logical data model, identified problem area in the data model. Modified the current data model to improve performance by following data modeling standards using the correct one to many relationships to enhance the accessibility of the data
- Followed existing naming standards for business attributes, designed metadata repository to store all the information about the data and data marts, including data dictionary. Organized the load and validated data accuracy and integrity.
- Created fact, dimension, and aggregate tables following Ralph Kimball’s data warehouse modeling methodology to support data analysis
- Designed metadata repository to store all the information about the data and data marts, including data dictionary, evaluated OLAP tools, writing process design documents
- Physical database architecture planning and creation, utilized multiple partitions with multiple data files to create partition tables, used parallel query and bitmap indexes to improve performance for 1 TB database
- Maintain database, wrote PL/SQL stored procedures, support users
Senior Oracle and Sybase Database Architect
Confidential, Charlotte, NC
- Supported multiple banking applications concurrently, half are Oracle databases, half are Sybase servers
- Designed logical data models for Oracle and Sybase systems by holding JAD sessions with users and programmers to gather project requirements, identified data attributes, entities, and relationship among entities
- Converted logical model to physical model, defined data types, sizes, indexes with performance consideration in mind
- Created naming standards for data attributes and metadata to track data source, load frequency, generated key values, and data dictionary
- Designed Star schema, identified data attributes on fact, dimension tables to support data analysis for a data warehouse project following Ralph Kimball’s methodology for a bank wire transfer analysis project
- Set up data verification process to insure the data integrity and accuracy
- Analyzed frequently used SQL, created monthly aggregate tables to improve performance
- Installed Oracle database 7.3.3, structured database layout and created and managed database objects such as tablespaces, tables, indexes, synonyms, roles, users and wrote packages, procedures, and triggers
- Setup and performed backup & recovery procedures for Oracle and Syabse databases and loaded data
- Set up replication system from Oracle to Sybase and SQLAnywhere for a client tracking system
- Installed Sybase replication server 11, configured and managed Sybase databases
- Wrote Shell scripts for database backup and load
- Attended classes for Web application development & JAVA, including writing HTML, CGI, Perl, JAVA script, and Java
- Tuned Sybase stored procedures, reduced response time from 5 minutes to 10 seconds
Sybase Database architect
Confidential, Jackson, Mississippi
- Worked on the project deliverables, such as; reviewing the Capacity Plan, creating the Backup and Recovery Plan for a GIS project involving replication from SQL Anywhere to Sybase, and Sybase to Sybase
- Worked with the developers in deciding the application architecture
Senior Sybase DBA
Confidential, Grand Rapid, MI
- Setup, maintained, and troubleshoot replication processes from DB2 to Sybase, Sybase to Sybase
- Reviewed various logical data models for supply chain applications, made recommendations for physical table structures and index selections based on the data accessibility and performance considerations
- Improved physical databases performance by placing tables on segments to improve query response time
- Made recommendations on the coding standards for Stored Procedures to improve efficiency and accuracy
MS SQL Server DBA
Confidential, Columbus, OH
- Supported multiple applications by giving directions and suggestions on system architecture planning, naming standards for data attributes, database physical allocation and maintenance procedures
- Applications include a distributed application and a data warehousing project for analysis
- Reviewed database schemas and made recommendations for better performance
- Established replication processes among multiple servers and recommended backup strategy for replication servers
- Created standards for installing MS SQL Server 6.0, database daily maintenance routine, writing better queries and stored procedures
Senior Sybase DBA
Confidential, Chicago, IL
- Performance tuning for a point of sales application
- Reviewed Sybase database architecture, restructure the database layout to better utilize available resources
- Reviewed core Stored Procedures, made suggestions in table design, index selection, SQL coding technique to improve the system response time and accuracy
Senior Sybase DBA
Confidential, Atlanta, GA
- Reviewed the system environment, identified and resolved problem to ensure Sybase and other tools were properly utilized
- System implementation strategy planning: system connectivity for client server application, physical database architecture, system mirror, backup, and restore procedures
- Imported a fixed asset tax compliance application into the platform
- Reinstall system 10 SQL Server and upgrade to 10.0.2
- Created database, setup threshold management, audit server, backup server for daily database maintenance routines
- Database and SQL performance tuning, reduced the processing time to 60% less time
MS SQL Server DBA
Confidential, Indianapolis, IN
- Analyzed existing system, reviewed the proposed future requirements, restructured current database logical model to integrate and support all system functionalities for an analyzer customer support and part management system
- Followed the existing naming standard for business attributes while modifing the existing data model to better support the application
- Strategy planning for file interface, data access and synchronization