- 8+ years of experience in developing Data Warehousing/BI applications using Cognos BI, ETL tools with strong business understanding of Finance, Banking, Retail, Insurance and Health Care domains.
- Over six years of experience on Cognos Tools – Cognos 10.1/8.2/8.3/8.4 Suite (Report Studio, Analysis Studio, Query Studio, Metric Studio and Cognos Connection), Cognos Report net 1.1 Mr3, Cognos EP Series 7.3(Impromptu, IWR, Power Play Transformer and Power Play Windows/Web, upfront).
- Involved in gathering and analyzing the business requirements.
- Very good Experience in Installation & Configuring the Cognos BI Environment.
- Extensively worked on Cognos Framework Manager – Creating Models in Framework Manager – Importing Meta Data from Different Sources, Dimension Hierarchy, Determinants, Star Schema Grouping, and Packages.
- Sound Skills in Report Development, Modelling (Relational, DMR) in Cognos 8.
- Developed logical models providing Business Relations implementing to star schema and Snowflake schema concepts.
- Hands on Experience with Framework Manager Modelling (Physical Layer, Business Layer, Packages).
- Extensive experience in building Complex Reports using Report Studio.
- Involved in creating adhoc reporting with Query Studio.
- Expertise in creating Dash Board Reports using Report Studio and Analysis Studio.
- Expertise indeveloping Score Card Applications using Metric Manger and Metric Studio.
- Good Experience with MDX Functions in Report Studio using Multi-dimensional Sources.
- Experience with Cognos Software Development Kit (SDK) to customize reports using JAVA.
- Expertise in working with Transformer model and Building Power play cube.
- Excellent Team Coordinating Skills with the Development Teams and Deliverable dates.
- Expertise in developing Database Schemas like Star Schema and Snowflake Schema used in relational, dimensional and multidimensional modelling.
- Basic knowledge in ETL tools like Informatica, Data Stage and Data Manger.
- Involved in Migrating reports from Cognos Series 7 to Cognos 8 series.
- Sound Skills in SQL Scripts using Oracle, SQL Server 2005 and DB2.
- Involved in Performance Tuning, Developed Stored Procedures, Functions and Packages.
- Extensive experiencein Multiple Relational Databases including SQL SERVER, ORACLE, TERADATA and DB2.
- Good experience in interacting with offshore team to get the deliverables in time.
- Proficient at developing and implementing training programs to enhance the efficiency, competency and motivation levels of the employees in line with organizational objectives.
- Ability to write and maintain technical documentation to describe Reports development, logic, coding, testing, changes, and corrections.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, technically competent and result-oriented with strong problem solving skills.
Reporting Tools: Cognos 10/8.2/8.3/8.4 Suite (Framework manager, Report Studio, Analysis Studio, Cognos Connection, Event Studio, Query Studio)
Cognos EP Series 7.3, Business Objects 5.1, Cognos Impromptu 7.3, Power Play 7.3, IWR, Upfront.
Databases: Oracle11g/10g/9i, MS SQL Server 2005/2008, DB2 UDB, Teradata V2R6
Data Modeling: Erwin, Microsoft Visio.
Oracle Tools: SQL*Plus, Toad, SQL*Loader, PL/SQL Developer, WinSql.
Languages: SQL, PL/SQL Programming, Visual Basic.
Operating Systems: Windows98/2000/NT/XP, Unix/Linux, Sun-Solaris
Servers: Application Servers (WAS, Tomcat), Web Servers (IIS, IHS)
Confidential , North Carolina Oct’11 - Present
Sr. Cognos Developer
- Involved in gathering and analyzing requirements and preparing the Specification document as per the Business requirement.
- Created Meta data model using Cognos 10.1 Framework Manager.
- Creating star schema grouping for better understanding of the model & facilitate multi-fact (cross-fact) reporting.
- Setting up cardinality (minimum, maximum & optional), Determinants to avoid double counting, support loop joins, optimize data source, and identify dimensions and facts.
- Implementing concept of hierarchies by defining dimension (regular, measure) to enable analysis on relational data source.
- Implemented different types of hierarchies (balanced, unbalanced, ragged).
- Adding business rules by defining different kinds of calculations and filter.
- Creating prompts with query macros by including references to parameter maps.
- Developing the reports using various templates like list report, Cross-tab Report and Chart Report using Report Studio and Query studio.
- Created simple and Complex reports with multiple prompts using Report Studio.
- Worked on bug fixing and enhancements to existing Cognos reports in Report Studio & models in Framework Manger and development of any new Reports.
- Performance tuning by analyzing and comparing the turnaround times between SQL and Cognos.
- Customize reports using Cognos SDK and integrated with Portal.
- Pre-sort, clean, consolidate Data for faster process in transformer
- Developing the shell scripts to load the data in Backend Reporting tables.
- Import and export statements are used in writing the SQL scripts.
- Based on proto type refining the model by creating dimension map (dimensions, drill down path, alternate drill downs) and measures.
- Have been involved in creating cubes using Transformer
- Diagnosing and resolving any design problems using techniques like show scope, count, reference and by generating categories
- Handling unbalanced hierarchy by using sub-dimensions
- Creating cube groups where the child cubes were intended for different users.
Environment: Cognos 10.1/8.4 Suite (Cognos Connection, Framework Manger, Report Studio, Query Studio, Analysis Studio, Metric Studio, Metric Manager), Transformer , Cognos SDK , DB2 8.1, Oracle 11g, Cognos Access Manger, MSAS 2005,MSRS, Windows 2003 Server.
Confidential, IL Dec’10 – Sep’11
Sr. Cognos Consultant
- Involved in gathering report requirements from business users.
- Designed Meta Data Model’s - Packages in Framework Manager using best practises like implementing three layer structure (Database layer, Business Layer and Presentation layer)
- Developed Dash Board reports in Report Studio using MDX Functions.
- Developed List, cross tab, drill through, master-detail, chart and complex reports which involved Multiple Prompts in Report Studio.
- Administer Security in Reports based on the user role (Executive, Team lead and Manager).
- Java Script for complex validation, navigation, communication and format customization.
- Performance Tuning and load balancing of complex reports.
- Export and Import of Packages / Reports for Auto / Manual Deployment to Dev, QA and PROD.
- Creation of Transformer Cubes from IQD’s /Cognos Connection Package.
- Customizing user class security views in Cube by user classes / Roles.
- Batch script automation for Power Cube refresh.
- Resolving the Performance issues of the Reports.
- Deployment of reports from Development to Production.
- Experience with conditional blocks and conditional layouts.
- Experienced with migration of Cognos code (reports/models/ frameworks) from one environment to another.
- Sound Skills on Developing Score Card Applications using Metric Manger and Metric Studio
- Upgraded reports from 8.3 to 8.4.
- Trained business users on Query Studio for ad hoc reporting.
- Reporting Powerplay cubes in Analysis Studio and Conditional formatting of Cube Reports in Report Studio 8.4.
- Performed administrative functions such as creating user accounts, user classes and roles using Access Manager.
- Extensive knowledge in resolving production issues in given time.
- Good experience in documentation of project
- Interacting with the End users on a regular basis for resolving issues pertaining to the reports
Environment: Cognos 8.4 Suite (Cognos Connection, Framework Manger, Report Studio, Query Studio, Analysis Studio, Metric Manager, Metric Studio), Cognos Series 7.3(Transformer), DB2, Oracle 9i, SQL Server 2000, Cognos Access Manger, Windows 2003 Server.
Confidential, NJ Jun’09 – Nov’10
- Designed models using Framework Manager and deployed packages to the Report Net Servers
- Implemented Framework manager security for Data access, Object level access and Package access.
- Implemented Star Schema Grouping and Dimension Hierarchy in Framework Manager. Model.
- Involved in migration of Catalogs, reports from Cognos Series 7/CRN to Cognos 8 using Migration Utilities.
- Created database layer and business layer, defining appropriate relationship between query subjects in Framework Manager.
- Developed List, cross tab, drill through, master-detail, chart and complex reports which involved Multiple Prompts, multi-query, Cubes in Report Studio, Burst Reports against database.
- Created custom templates and custom tool boxes for the use of reporting.
- Extensively worked on Analysis Studio to develop multi dimensional reporting.
- Worked with Global Drill- through Definitions to drill through from analysis studio reports to report studio reports ( MOLAP – ROLAP)
- Designed Power Play reports to provide summarized results by measures and dimensions.
- Created custom prompted reports in Report Studio, Bursting reports to different user groups.
- Moved Packages and reports from development to QA and then Production servers
- Developed Power Play Reports based on the cubes and published to Report Net Server.
- Deployed the cube from Testing Environment to Production Environment using Batch script.
- Testing reports using review checklists for Quality Assurance before delivering to the end users.
- Writing the SQL scripts using the teradata.
- Involved into move to Deployment to UAT and Production.
- Developed Dash Board reports in Report Studio using MDX Functions.
- Involved in writing Stored Procedures and functions in Oracle PLSQL.
- Trained the end users effectively to use the reporting tool, to build and customize their ad-hoc reports.
Confidential, Thousand Oaks, CA Mar’08 – May’09
- Installed and Configured Cognos 8BI version 8.3 Suite in multi server environment on Windows and UNIX environments.
- Created Metadata Modeling by using multiple databases in Cognos 8 BI Modeling.
- Created and published packages from Cognos 8 BI Modeling.
- Created Complex Reports in Cognos 8BI Report Studio.
- Created Powerplay Reports by using Analysis Studio.
- Scheduled Content Store Backup.
- Created Scheduled Jobs by scheduling multiple reports in a job.
- Published Powerplay Cubes onto Cognos Connection by using Cognos 8 BI Modeling.
- Integrated Series 7 Security within Cognos 8BI.
- Upgraded Reportnet Reports, Packages and Data Source Connections into Cognos 8 BI.
- Deployed Packages and Reports from DEV Environment to UAT and PROD Environments.
- Created and scheduled different portlets.
- Created Dashboard indicators.
- Created Metadata modeling by using Framework Manager.
- Imported metadata from various sources such as Relational Databases, Report Net models, Impromptu Catalogs into the Framework Manager.
- Created OLAP cubes by using Power play Transformer
- Created complex reports by using Report Studio.
- Used Query Studio to develop ad hoc reports
- Did Unit Testing for all reports and packages.
- Day-to-day administration activities like monitoring Scheduled jobs like Cube refresh and Impromptu scheduled reports.
- Creating report views with saved prompts and schedule according to the business requirement.
- Created Jobs to Schedule multiple reports in Cognos Connection.
- Personalized Cognos Connection, Specified display options, regional options and personal information.
- Migrated existing Cognos series 7 application to Cognos Report Net 1.1
- Migrated Cognos Reportnet reports into Cognos 8BI.
- Implemented security in Framework Manager Packages.
- Integrated Cognos Series 7 Security in Report Net.
- Integrated Cognos Upfront News boxes and News Items in Cognos Connection.
Cognos 8 BI Report Studio, Cognos 8 BI Query Studio, Cognos 8 BI Analysis Studio, Cognos 8 BI, Cognos 8 BI Suite Cognos 8 SDK, version 8.3,Cognos Connection, Cognos 8 BI Modeling, Report Net 1.1, Framework Manager, Report Studio, Cognos Connection, Cognos Impromptu Administrator 7.1/7.3, Architect 7.1/7.3, Power play Enterprise Server 7.1/7.3, Impromptu Web Reports 7.1/7.3, Power play Transformer 7.1/7.3, Cognos Scheduler, Cognos Query 7.1/7.3, Cognos Upfront 7.1/7.3, Access Manager, Configuration Manager, Windows 2000, Oracle9i/10G, PL/SQL, Toad
Confidential, Houston, TX Dec’07 – Jan’08
- Involved in designing data model and report design.
- Understanding functional specification and preparing technical spec.
- Created reportnet models, queries according to standards
- Created and publishing packages to Cognos connection.
- Created the user roles in cognos connection.
- Built Power Play Reports in Report Studio by replicating the powerplay functionality in Report Studio using dynamic Measure selection, Dynamic Sorting, ranking.
- Created Dashboard Reports by translating data into visually rich presentations using different types of charts, and other graphical elements to show multiple results together.
- Customize the Cognos connection portal using existing portlets and customized tabs.
- Worked on complex reports using Static Prompt and mdx functions and union conditions.
- Used Cognos Office Connection to publish the reports in Powerpoint and format them for business presentation.
- Created the Dashboard reports using Report Studio.
- Authoring reports in report studio according to requirement by implementing many features like prompts, conditional formatting.
- Scheduling the monthly reports with saved prompts using Job Wizard.
- Designed transformer model (dimension map, facts (regular/calculated)).
- Created batch files (macros) to refresh the cube monthly.
- Deployed the cube from Testing Environment to Production Environment using Batch script.
Confidential, India Oct’05 – Nov’06
- Customer’s first point of contact for BI Cognos related support/issues
- Monitoring scheduled daily/weekly power play cube builds
- Published the customer authored, requested Powerplay reports to upfront
- Published the Impromptu reports to upfront Newsbox by creating new reportset or updating the existed reportset
- Granting and revoking IWR report access to user classes from IWR-Report Administration and Upfront
- Monitoring weekly scheduled IWR reports in upfront and IWR-Server Administration
- Filtering cubes and building new cubes (Time Based partitioned) during year end.
- Installing and configuring Cognos applications (Impromptu, Powerplay) on Citrix servers and desktops remotely.
- Grant and revoke access to Powerplay and IWR reports in upfront.
- Monitoring Cognos (PPES, Upfront and Reportserver) services.
- Access manager administrator (adding users, user signon, user membership, user’s datasource access).
- Developed and Published Packages in Framework Manager - Connecting and testing the data source, created database layer, physical layer and presentation layer, defining appropriate relationship between query subjects.
- Implemented security for Data access, Object level access and Package access.
- Designed and developed multi dimensional cubes.
- Customized data by adding calculations, summaries and functions.
- Created List Reports, Cross Tab Reports and Drill Through reports.
- Generated reports using Cognos Impromptu tools querying database.
- Created Filters, Conditions and Prompts in Catalog.
- Created User Groups, Roles to implement the Cognos Security, using Directory Server.
- Developed Reports using Conditional Formatting, Cascading Prompts and Report Burs.
- Resolving reports (Impromptu, Powerplay and Reportnet) data discrepancy issues.
Environment: Cognos Powerplay 7.3, Transformer 7.3 Cognos Report Net 1.1,Powerplay Enterprise Server 7.3, Upfront 7.3, Impromptu Administrator 7.3 , Access Manager 7.3, TOAD.
Confidential, India Oct’04 – Sep’05
- Clarified the requirements by talking to the user groups and accordingly modified the functional and technical specifications.
- Developed / modified Oracle PL/SQL codes like stored procedures, functions, triggers etc based on technical and functional specification documents.
- Developed / modified scripts to create tables, views and executed them using SQL Plus.
- Developed / modified scripts to rectify data errors and executed them using SQL Plus.
- Ran batch jobs for loading database tables from flat files using SQL Loader.
- Prepared unit test cases and executed the same.
Environment: Oracle 8i, PL/SQL, SQL*Plus, UNIX