- Over 10 years of professional work experience in System analysis, design, development, data conversion, Data Warehouse/Data Mart design development and 9 Years of IBM Cognos experience on different roles.
- 3 full lifecycle BI implementation (DEV/QAT/PROD)
- Experience in dimensional modeling, DMR Packages and build OLAP Cubes
- Strong ETL experience using Cognos Data Manager/SSIS.
- Strong Business Analyst experience in Gathering Business Requirements.
- Strong Administrator experience in UNIX and Windows environments.
- Expertise in Business Intelligence tools using Cognos 10.1, Cognos 8.4.1 BI, Cognos Express ,Cognos Series 7 and SQL Server Reporting Services
- Strong background in Business Administration, fast understanding of business terminologies, business processes and client’s requirements.
Skills / Tools Experience:
BI Tools Cognos 10.1 ReportStudio, Query Studio, Analysis Studio, Framework Manager, Cognos Express and Cognos Impromptu 7.5 and SQL Server Reporting Services 2008
OLAP Cognos Transformer 10.1/8/7.5 and SSAS 2008
Databases MS SQL Server 2008/2005, Oracle 10g, 9i, DB2 and MS Access 2010
ETL IBM Cognos Data manager/DecisionStream, SSIS, MS SQL Server 7.0 DTS, Oracle SQL*Loader
Data Modeling Microsoft Visio/ERWIN
Languages C, SQL, PL/SQL, UNIX Shell Scripting
OS Windows 2008 R2, XP/2003/NT/98/95, AIX 6.1, UNIX, Sun Solaris 11/5.11, Red Hat Linux 5/6
Confidential,Maryland, USA Cognos BI Administrator August 2003 till Date
The purpose of this project is to support and improve Education management programs in Baltimore County Public Schools and to provide educational support services to students from K to 12 Grade. Create Reports, dashboards and Cubes for Superintendent, Executive staff, Area directors, Principals, Assistant Principal, Teacher, Research Teachers and different departments within the School system.
- Full lifecycle BI implementation.
- Successfully Install, Configure, load balance Cognos 10.1/8 Servers on Windows and Unix environments
- Created about 300 cubes of different sizes to serve different department within the organization.
- Created 1000 individual reports for different departments like Gifted & Talented, Special Ed, AVID, Research Accountability and Assessment and ESOL etc.
- Designed both relational and DMR in framework manager.
- Designed, developed and maintained reporting and multi-dimensional data modeling solutions.
- Upgrade IBM Cognos 8.4.1 reports to IBM Cognos10.1.
- Experience using Life cycle manager.
- Designed, developed, tested, maintained, and documented Cognos powerplay cubes and reports.
- Implement row level data security for 200 users.
- Gathering Business Requirements.
- Non Functional Requirements.
- Security Requirements ,Audit and Control Requirements
- Create Templates for gathering requirements
- End user training and creating manuals/guides for training.
Version: Cognos 10.1
- Support and maintain Cognos environment (DEV/QAT/PROD).
- Export/Import Packages in Cognos Administration.
- Setup Cognos Server using various deployment methods like Single Server and Multi-Server installation on Windows and AIX environment, Also implemented Vertical/Horizontal Scaling of web server.
- Performance tuning at different levels and implementation of failover techniques.
- Worked closely with Enterprise Architects, data architects, Database Administrators, ETL team, Developers, stakeholders, end-users, on various internal BI initiatives.
- Adopted CSIM (Cognos Solution and Implementation Methodology) procedures / Processes.)
- Optimize Transformer model for performance enhancements.
- Manage License Usage.
- Design and implement Framework / Transformer Models and Report Template.
- Implement Security on Framework Manager / Transformer Models / Reports / packages.
- Migration of Transformer IQD’s to Framework Packages.
- Monitor system usage at OS level for CPU/ Memory/ and File systems.
- Customization of Cognos Interface.
- Design Audit Reports to determine active usage.
- Experience in scripts on AIX / Windows.
- On Call 24/7 production support.
Version: Cognos 8.4/8.2
- Create cubes with different dimensions, measures and alternate drill down.
- Create cubes form different datasource (Excel, SQL query, Report, Access, IQD’S)
- Create DMR and relational packages.
- Resolved Report upgrade issues.
- Upgrade Framework Model.
- Metadata Modeling in Framework Manager using logical and physical model.
- Design Standard reports, Ad hoc and drill through reports.
- Administer Application and Web server.
- Migrated ReportNet servers and Reports to Cognos 8.
- Performance Tuned Servers (Load Balancing), Processors (Report and Batch), Dispatchers and Gateways.
- Develop, implement and enforce procedures for Cognos objects security based on groups, roles and environment.
- Examine Server logs on all servers: Identify system generated errors from server log and troubleshoot it.
- Developed and enforced standards for Cognos content and server environment.
- Report and Package Security Implementation.
- Designing the Models, Creating project.
- Import the required metadata into new or existing projects.
- Migrated Impromptu reports to ReportNet.
- Creating the relationship between the query subjects.
- Externalize the query subjects for .mdc Cube data source.
- Publishing the package to the ReportNet server.
- Created List, Crosstab reports using the publish package.
- Adding Filter to reports and Creating Calculated Data item
- Creating prompts and passing parameters.
- Examine Server logs on all servers: Identify system generated errors from ReportNet server log and troubleshoot it.
- Implement single sign-on with Windows Active Directory.
- Deploying the ReportNet content.
- Creating database connections for different data sources.
- Adding Namespace to integrate Series 7.
Version: Cognos 7.x
- Enforcing report filters, column conditions, prompts, conditional formatting.
- Creating Catalogs.
- Designing Folders based on Business Requirements.
- Developing a Join strategy, Analyzing and testing.
- Worked with Congos scheduler.
- Organizing, Summarizing and Filtering Data.
- Creating HOTFILES.
- Restricting the user access with the help of User Class Privileges.
- Involved in tuning the application for better Performance.
- Involved in Documentation for User training.
- Cascading Prompts, Report Picklist Prompts in impromptu reports.
- Defined Multidimensional Analysis.
- Defined and modify dimensions, levels and measures.
- Securing the cube by assigning privileges on dimensions and measures.
- Creating Power Cubes for different groups.
- Creating power cube using Auto Design and Manual Design.
- Setting up drill through to Cognos Impromptu and to the Power Cubes.
- Modified Time dimension properties as per the requirement.
- Creating Powerplay reports both in Explorer and reporter modes.
- Creating Graphs and Split View Reports in Powerplay.
- Build Tables, Views in Oracle, SQL Server 2008/2005 for Reporting Purpose
- Creating index’s for better performance.
- Responsible for Data Massaging for Cognos reporting purpose.
- Perform Extract and transfer and load the data using SSIS,DTS packages and Cognos Decision stream/Data Manager
- Involved in Data Warehouse design and implementation
- Perform database tuning and performance monitoring
- Knowledge of Oracle backup, SQL Backup and recovery scenarios
- Administer data base objects, including tables, clusters, indexes, views and procedures
Environment: Cognos10.1 8.4, ReportStudio, Query Studio, Cognos Impromptu 7.5, Power Play Transformer 7.5/7.4, Oracle 10g, SQL Server 2008/2005, MS Access and Windows 2008/2003 Server
Cognos Developer/Administrator September’ 2002 till August 2003
Data warehouse Engineering Group supports the development teams of different departments.
The Cognos Infra structure Group supports all the cognos development, Test and Productions Servers and also Promotes the Reports, cubes in to the test and production environments and supports the development team in all respects. Main Responsibility of department is to install, maintain and enhancement of the servers.
Cognos Series 7:
- Install and Configure Cognos Tools.
- Providing security and multi-user access using Access Manager and Transformer model.
- Create User Classes, Configuring User Class Inheritance based on their role.
- Create Users and Assigning privileges, configuring Table, Folder and adding Filters to the table.
- Client Server Balancing by choosing Database only or Limited Local or Flexible Processing.
- Create standard and Ad hoc reports using Cognos Query and Architect tool.
- Drilling down, slicing, dicing and changing displays.
- Creating Cognos Power Cubes and deployed them on Power Play Enterprise Server.
- Adding Namespace to integrate Series 7.
- Defining the role, Group.
- Deploying Sample, Testing the Server and Managing Cognos Connection Portal
Scheduling and Distributing Reports through Schedule Management in Cognos Connection
Environment: Cognos Series 7 - Cognos Impromptu, Impromptu Web Reports, Power Play, Power Play transformer, Power Play Enterprise Server (PPES), Upfront, Architect, Power Prompts , Cognos Query , scheduler, Access Manager, Oracle 9i
Education: Master of Science in Information Systems.