Hands - on data security architect with extensive experience in multiple phases of software development from inception through building the infrastructure with an emphasis on data security and governance. Expert in analyzing a problem and translating it into business requirements and detailed specifications. Versatile, results-driven professional having worked in diverse industries, particularly financial services. Over 25 years experience in all aspects of data-related architecture, engineering disciplines, project development and implementation.
Storage: EMC (DMX, VNX and Clarion), Netapp NAS, HP EVA, IBM SAN/VC, DAS, SDD
OS: RHEL, Windows, Solaris, AIX, VMWare, MVS, JCL
OLTP Database: DB2/UDB/LUW. Sybase ASE, MS SQL Server, Oracle, DB2 PureScale, IMS, VSAM
Big Data DWs: Sybase IQ, Vertica, ParAccel, Greenplum, DB2 BLU, Netezza, Hadoop
Replication/DR: SRDF, IBM CDC, Oracle GoldenGate, Sybase Rep Server, F5, Snapshots, NetbackupRHCS, VCS, Sybase MA, MS Clustering
Other Software: Foglight, Confidential, BMC Automation, Power Designer, ERwin, JIRA, SecureonixOptim, Microfocus, MSA, Informatica, Cognos, Pentaho, Tableau, SAP Business Objects, Cognos, Hadoop, NoSQL, Autosys, Puppet. various performance tools
Languages: SQL, Ksh, Bash, Expect, Visual Basic, COBOL II, 'C', Perl
Methodologies/SDLC: Agile/Scrum, Waterfall, RAD/JAD, UML, ITIL, TOGAF, DLP, Data Lifecycle Management Member IBM DB2/LUW Customer Advisory Council
- Building self-service analytic warehouse to provide significantly enhanced capabilities for the marketing VP.
- This includes physical system design (Vertica platform with Hadoop links), code review, logical and physical data modeling (segments, partitions, sort sequences, projections) query tuning, designing dashboards with Tableau and an updated security paradigm.
- Led Implementation of Confidential Database Access Management, VA, audit and governance solution for all databases and warehouses in the firm; heavy emphasis on cloud-based, automated system deployment and integrating with Hadoop-based behavioral analysis technologies (Secureonix). Developed policies, workflows, issue resolution methodologies, reporting, DLP integration and provided extensive training for internal personnel
- In support of the core Insurance business as well as Market Risk initiatives, built OLTP and warehouse infrastructure from the ground up including physical and logical architecture, modeling and data governance standards; IAM, hardware and storage; backup and disaster recovery solutions; access and security policies, SOX and other regulatory compliance; development and turnover procedures..
- Developed processes for SOX, PII, Dodd-Frank and other regulatory compliance, Instituted Master Data, data governance, protection and stewardship procedures
- Managed entire life cycle for deploying Confidential for real-time Database Activity Monitoring, auditing and vulnerability assessment for all corporate databases hosting PII and PCI data. Instituted DAM and VA monitoring policies, workflows and issue resolution methodologies. Created extensive reporting framework including ESM and DLP integration.
- Developed, tested, published documentation and implemented authentication, entitlements, security and auditing standards for multiple DBMS’s using native audit tools and Confidential, integrating with SIEMs such as Splunk using ITIL-based processes.
- Defined accountability procedures governing data access, data stewardship, storage, retention, reporting and auditing.
- Designed logical and physical architecture and collaborated with external vendors to define data requirements, design system architecture and deploy the global Reference Data Project. This system replaced over two dozen separate reference databases with a single global system of record replicated out to local repositories with built-in hooks for compliance with international regulatory bodies. Designed data quality and governance strategies and procedures
- Worked directly with several Big Data vendors to embed standardized monitoring and auditing processes directly into their products. Provided requirements specifications and oversaw development to assure that the solutions conformed to banking requirements.
- Served as an internal architectural consultant for launching various Data Warehousing projects throughout the firm. Determined requirements, designed ETL and migration processes, provided modeling and data management services. Software products included Sybase IQ Multiplex, Vertica, Greenplum, Hadoop, ParAccel, Teradata and Netezza, DB2, Oracle RAC, Pentaho and Ganglia.
- Managed on- and off-shore teams to perform successful POCs with integrated enterprise spanning multiple technologies such as VM-based cloud computing platforms, and various backup solutions. Produced detailed documentation at the close of each project.
- Developed solutions for consolidating data architectures, data obfuscation/masking and archiving based on IBM’s Optim DLM tool.
- Managed deployment of Quest Foglight with home-grown scripts for global monitoring and auditing of entire database environment enabling establishment of a follow-the-sun support model
- Developed data stewardship program establishing metadata registry responsibilities
- Matrix-managed multiple projects using dedicated staff with support DBAs, UNIX and Windows SAs
- Developed data security standards and architecture for securely managing the Bank’s data-management infrastructure.
- Engineered replication solutions for warm and hot standby DR using MS Replication, Sybase Rep Server and Mirror Activator and Microsoft Clustering
- Created deployment standards for software builds, operational procedures, file system and directory layouts, security and auditing policies, monitoring, backups, workflows, and defined roles and responsibilities
- Evaluated, recommended and deployed products to fill gaps in Bank’s portfolio such as single sign-on (Kerberos), monitoring, performance tools, storage hardware and software, intrusion detection and auditing, configuration, capacity and patch management, ILM, grid computing, storage virtualization and enhanced backup facilities
- Developed, tested and implemented disaster recovery plans using various hardware and software replication solutions such as EMC SRDF/A, Veritas and database replication
- Managed team of outsourced consultants building SOA-based development architecture for entire division
- Instituted processes for internal development projects and for all database support and instituted policies and procedures for data and application security
Senior Data Architect
- Re-architected single physical database into logical business-oriented databases using ERwin
- Alleviated performance bottlenecks caused by inadequate design and poorly written queries
- Developed data models for extranet e-commerce applications, introduced Quality Assurance as a formal part of the development life-cycle and introduced a formal development methodology
Consultant: Data Warehouse
- Designed and developed Oracle Data Warehouse. Developed data feeds from a MVS/DB2 ODS and Sybase OLTP; built ETL models with Informatica
Sybase Production Support DBA
- Oversaw group of DBAs that provided support for Equity, Fixed Income and Asset Management applications running on Sybase dataservers, replication servers, IQ servers and Mainframe gateways
- Lead DBA, maintained and administered strategic corporate Sybase and Oracle database applications.
- Provided all aspects of database support for over 100 production Sybase and Microsoft SQL Servers.
Client/Server Systems Designer, Sybase DBA
- Managed group of four programmers re-engineering the corporate securities processing database to a cross-platform repository that supported reporting on mainframes as well as distributed systems using DB2, SQL Server, Sybase and Microfocus Workbench