- I am a CIO and senior technology executive with a proven track record of creatively deploying technology to solve specific business problems. By so doing I have helped to return well over a half billion dollars in value to customers and shareholders over the last fifteen years. I’m an executive who has mastered the process of leveraging technology to accomplish a business objective—not an engineer who has mastered the hardware, software, and switches necessary to keep an infrastructure or data center running.
- A unique background that blends academia, finance and accounting, software development, and systems implementation that enables me to elicit and distill diverse user requirements into tactical action plans that deliver innovative technology solutions that consistently exceed expectations.
- Member of the executive teams of three highly successful high - tech and health-tech companies; taking each from the earliest stages through multiple Confidential capital, private Confidential, and institutional financing rounds; and rapid revenue growth to either IPO or acquisition by a larger publicly traded company;
- Co-Founder and Chief Architect of an advanced analytic and predictive modeling company that was recognized in a global competition sponsored by the Smithsonian Institution and Computer World as being one of the ten most innovative technologies on Earth—out of a field of nearly 4,000 nominees.
- Doctoral student fellow in organizational and system design with emphasis on knowledge management, six sigma, and continuous learning systems. Confidential Coopers CPA and Consultant;
- Extensive experience in the high-tech and healthcare (insurance, managed care, provider and alternate site delivery models) sectors.
- A trusted advisor and contemporary to ‘C’ level executives with the expertise and experience to cross disciplines from finance, operations, and IT to sales and marketing.
- Extensive expertise in Enterprise and Cloud development and deployment spanning the entire SLDC; Big Data, Business Intelligence, Analytics and Data Warehousing (“BIDW”), Enterprise Performance Management (“ Confidential ”), Business Process Re-engineering (“BPR”), large scale Enterprise Resource Planning (“ERP”) implementations, and distributed Knowledge Management Systems (“ Confidential ”);
- Multiple implementations of PeopleSoft, Oracle, JD Edwards, Lawson, and Microsoft Dynamics ERPs; Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, Microstrategy, and Informatica BIDW solutions.
- Over 25 years of tech project management leading multi-discipline, multi-region, and international teams ranging from 10 to 500 professional using both Microsoft and LAMP stacks to successfully complete projects on time and budget.
- Serving as an adjunct advisor to Confidential ’s, Boards of Directors, Confidential, and Private Confidential Funds investing in early to late stage technology companies across the United States and Europe.
- Client engagements have focused on: market positioning; technology selection, systems design and development; go-to-market strategies; investment preparation; strategic partnership and sales channel development; and exit/merger due diligence in the education, network security, financial services, healthcare, and industrial IOT sectors.
Chief Information Officer
- Served as the contract CIO of this construction materials roll-up backed by the Confidential Group. Confidential did not exist until Q3 ‘09. Through the acquisition of over 40 regional firms the company grew to over 3,500 employees and nearly one billion in revenue by mid-2012.
- Reporting directly to the CFO, I served as the enterprise architect to design, develop, and implement a strategic and tactical IT plan to: integrate the IT operations, networks, and software systems of this extremely diverse, formerly independent group of subsidiaries; identify and contract with an out-sourced hosting provider to centralize IT administration and begin desktop virtualization; create a company-wide security, disaster recovery, and business continuity capability; and prepare the company for the regulatory rigors of an IPO and on-going SOX compliance - all while maintaining a minimal in-house professional footprint.
- Co-wrote and managed the RFP and selection process for a central hosting provider; negotiated definitive agreement with finalist.
- Developed a replicable methodology for acquiring, integrating and continuously improving the performance of the businesses being acquired.
- Lead and co-architect of a business intelligence, analytics, and data warehouse initiative to automate financial and operational reporting and facilitate best practices identification, knowledge management and performance improvement.
- Developed MDM, Security, and User policies. Supervised design of a company-wide WAN and AD structure to standardize network administration, security, and enable single sign-on.
Chief Information Officer
- Served initially in the role of advisor to the CEO, but transitioned into the CIO role in February 2007 for this solid-state storage device manufacturer that was repeatedly recognized for being one of the fastest growing companies in the US. Served the company from shortly after first revenue generation in Q4 ‘04 until the sale of the organization to Western Digital at the end of Q1 ‘09. Worked closely with the CEO, CFO, VP Operations, and VP of Sales on the development of the organizational infrastructure to support the 100%+ per annum sales increases in the healthcare and global telecommunications markets. Participated as a key member of management to package the company for acquisition.
- Developed the IT blueprint for automating sales processing and revenue cycle management from opportunity identification to order shipment; researched and identified a revenue cycle transaction processing solution; architected, designed, and built a web-based forecasting, reporting and analytics platform for end-to-end pipeline management that covered both internal sales resources as well as contracted external sales agents and international distributors. Designed and implemented a company-wide ERP system that tied together finance, operations, global sales, and three Asian contract manufacturers. Oversaw company server, storage, internet/intranet, security, disaster recovery, and desktop/laptop management policies and administration staff. Worked extensively with Microsoft Dynamics GP, CRM, SQL 2005-8, SSRS, SSAS, .NET, Windows Server, IIS, and other technologies.
- Long-term advisor and contract executive to healthcare and technology clients ranging from Fortune 100 to early stage start-ups responsible for: defining strategic IT and BI initiatives for sales, marketing and CRM; identifying or designing appropriate solutions to implement those strategies; and overseeing the implementation and deployment of those solutions. Worked extensively with technologies such as Microsoft SQL 2000-08, SSAS, SSRS, .NET, Microsoft CRM, Dynamics AX, NAV, and GP, and to a lesser extent with Oracle, SaleForce.Com, SAS and other on-line survey instruments.
- Worked directly with the highest levels of executive management at United Healthcare, Microsoft, Morgan Stanley, and others, to develop both BI and Enterprise Feedback Management systems to: evaluate the performance of their sales channels; identify opportunities; then formulate and implement improvements. Engagements required: soliciting, capturing, organizing, and analyzing feedback from thousands of national and international employees and channel partners; extensive coordination with scores of local business units and subsidiaries, and with domestic and international partners to determine local requirements and solutions for each market. Projects at customers were credited with savings and/or revenue enhancements in excess of $18 million in 2006 alone.
- Oversaw transition of Confidential staff and technology to Confidential personnel including training of technical and sales staff and integration with existing BI offerings and Facets claims administration system. On-going responsibilities as both Chief Architect and Sr. Product Manager for Confidential ’s three Business Intelligence (“BI”) offerings with responsibilities including those detailed below for my previous position at Confidential . Additional responsibilities included managing technology partnerships with Business Objects, Cognos, Oracle, Hyperion, Crystal Reports, and Microsoft and overseeing the implementation of their products for our clients.
- Managed a full-time development staff of 28 full-time professionals including data and systems architects, programmers, quality control and documentation specialists. Supervised reporting and BI implementation engagements at major health plan clients such as Providence Health Systems, Blue Cross of Michigan, Anthem - Wellpoint, United Healthcare, and Empire Blue Cross. Managed teams of over 300 global resources. Engagements focused on a combination of Confidential, BI/DW and reporting implementations for the Medical, Contract Management, Claims and Finance departments.
- Worked with Sales, Marketing and Business Development teams on collateral, campaigns and analyst (Gartner, IDC, etc) briefings for BI offerings. Participated in numerous sales teams, proposals and contract negotiations for engagements ranging from $800,000-$24 million.
President & Chief Operating Officer
- Co-founder and Board member of this Confidential backed, privately held, BI and Predictive Analytics Software Company serving the Healthcare and High Tech industries from the date of in corporation until sale to the Confidential Group.
- Developed exit strategy, marketed Company in pursuit of strategic acquisition, and negotiated sale to the Confidential Group in January ‘03.
- To site one example of our value, our solution helped the Hewlett Packard Consumer Products Division increase revenues by over $200 million per annum by optimizing SKU shelf-mix and virtually eliminating stock-outs through their retail channels.
- Chief architect for Company’s software application and consulting methodology that provided client management with a means to automate the on-going monitoring, analysis, and planning necessary to implement performance management and Six Sigma initiatives. Continually worked with clients, advisory boards, and partners to develop and enhance functional specifications, user interfaces and software operability.
- Worked extensively with JD Edwards, PeopleSoft, Oracle, and Lawson ERP systems and customers along with Hyperion Solutions including Essbase and Pillar. Oversaw all software development operations including design, coding, testing, documentation, implementation, and support functions.
- Development environment utilized the following languages and tools: Sequel, C++, Visual Basic, JAVA, PERL. Pascal, IIS, Apache, SourceSafe, FogBugz, Windows Server 2000, and various others.
- Supervised all on-line help, customer service, web operations, and training programs.
- Recruited technical, testing, documentation, support, and implementation staff.
- Managed a staff of 38 professionals—all with either Masters or PhD credentials.
Manager of Financial Operations
- Direct report to CFO of this national, pioneering, telemetric health care provider. Worked daily with CEO, COO, Field Operations and Marketing executives to plan, structure and negotiate joint ventures, acquisitions and internal development of new services during a period where company revenues increased from $15 million to over $275 million.
- Developed, implemented, and managed the company’s pricing policies.
- Worked with the Director of Reimbursement to re-engineer a new method for claims processing that cut Days Sales Outstanding in A/R by 70%. Designed a process for clinical staff to capture all equipment and services being provided to patients that increased revenues by 40%.
- Consulted with a national vendor to re-engineer their pharmacy operations yielding recurring savings to the vendor and company of over $1.7 million annually.
- Participated in the preparation of the company’s IPO, and served as a standing member of the compensation committee.
- Other responsibilities included business operations planning and budgeting; ERP implementation; developing and maintaining a manufacturing and health care services cost accounting system; and financial reporting and analysis. Designed, implemented, and automated a flex budgeting and enterprise wide BI system which eliminated the need to hire six additional staff and provided management visibility during a period of 100% annual growth. Supervised eight direct reports and multiple inter-departmental teams; managed audit coordination, and financial reporting functions.
Senior Accountant / Consultant
- Planned, managed and executed financial audits, reviews and compilations, acquisition/due diligence audits and reviews, LBO engagements and reviews of management and computer information systems.
- Prepared computer system requirements definitions and RFP’s, private placement memorandum, Reg D offerings, business plans, 10K and 10Q filings, and litigation support.