- Results - driven Confidential Executive with a distinguished record of executive leadership experience and achievement in Accounting, Finance, Information Systems, and Administrative positions.
- Collaborative leader with 15 years of experience as a Chief Financial Officer in acute care hospital/multi-hospital settings for Confidential organizations ranging from $90M to over $900M in net revenue.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with a strong commitment and focus on hospital operations and improved financial performance.
- Able to orchestrate complex financial turnarounds and restore hospitals to profitability.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
- Financial Turnarounds Budgetary Planning & Management
- Strategic Financial Planning Process & Operational Improvements
- Initiating Hospital Productivity Standards Single hospital & system owned experience
- Executive Professional Experience
Confidential Systems: MediTech, SMS, Epic, Cerner
Accounting Systems: QuickBooks, Lawson, PeopleSoft, SAP, Multiview
Word Processing: Microsoft Word
Spreadsheet: Microsoft Excel, Lotus 1-2-3
Presentation: Microsoft PowerPoint
Data Access: Monarch V10.0
Confidential, Dunkirk, NY
Vice President of Finance and Chief Financial Officer
- Confidential is comprised of Confidential Hospital, a 65 bed acute care hospital, and a captive professional corporation containing employed physicians with multiple specialties
- Lead financial improvement efforts to restore the hospital to positive cash flow and profitability.
- Review the financial performance of all services provided and make detailed recommendations for improvement or closure.
- Establish financial policies and procedures that enhance the credibility of all financial statements.
- Increased operating margin by 6.8%
- Renegotiated all major managed care contracts
- Designed and implemented a labor productivity system & corresponding monitoring tools
Confidential, Miami, FL
Interim Vice President for Finance
- Increased hospital cash collections by 11% in first three months
- Replaced in-house physician billing function with outside vendor, with an net annual savings of $2.7M and increasing collection rates by 5%
- Completed restructure of general ledger and reduced monthly closing process to 7 days
- Redesign of internal financial statements in Lawson to more accurately report operations
Confidential, Potsdam, NY
- Designed and implemented a labor productivity model that reduced annual labor expenses and increased operating margins by 1.8%.
- Implemented a cost accounting model that outlined profit and loss by department and service line and consequently generated specific plans for measurable improvements.
- Created customized performance improvement plans and accurate financial statements for hospital-owned physician practices.
- Identified, prioritized, and established enterprise-wide financial policies and procedures, resulting in greater consistency and significant cost savings to the hospital.
Confidential, Oakland, CA
Area Finance Officer
- Responsible for the development of annual and multi-year forecasts of $900M of area revenue and expense.
- Directed the analysis and oversight of performance to operational budgets including benchmarking and opportunity analysis.
- Developed long-range capital and business plans addressing market trends and needs.
- Planned, organized, and directed the cost-effective operations of the revenue cycle and decision support departments.
- Established benchmarks, labor standards, and position control for the entire medical center.
- Improved internal controls over purchasing of operational expense items and capital project spending.
- Reduced the number of days from patient discharge to bill processing from 30+ days to 4 days.
- Created utilization review policies and procedures resulting in a 20% reduction in length of stay for acute patients.
- Reversed annual operating loss run rate from $8M to less than $1M in the first year.
Confidential, Chapel Hill, NC
- Served in diverse interim executive positions and completed complex financial projects at Confidential organizations located throughout the country.
Confidential, Great Neck, NY
Interim Senior Vice President
- Established financial policies and procedures including a detailed Confidential improvement plan.
- Renegotiated hospital-based physician professional services contracts for the facility.
- Played a significant leadership role in transitioning the hospitals ownership of a multi-site physician practice, saving the hospital over $1.5M.
- Reversed annual operating loss run rate from $19M to $9M in the first six months of interim leadership.
Confidential, Coudersport, PA
Chief Financial Officer
- Consolidated multiple patient billing systems into 1 integrated platform.
- Introduced hospital-wide staffing and productivity standards with corresponding monitoring tools to gauge efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Initiated regular charge description master reviews and other financial strategies that resulted in an annual increase of $200K in net revenue.
- Reversed the hospital’s bottom line loss of $4.8M in fiscal year 2002 to a net profit of $300K in fiscal year 2004.
- Transitioned local county contracted mental retardation and mental health services to a new vendor, preserving 90% of jobs and reducing annual expenses by more than $350K.
- Increased average daily cash on hand balance from $136K to $1.3M in first 9 months.
- Decreased net accounts receivables days from 60 to 37.
- Reduced un-coded patient accounts from $1M+ to a daily par balance of $250K.