Senior Programmer/Analyst with 20+ years working on IBM Mainframe business systems using Structured Systems Development methodology. Proficient in COBOL, CICS, DB2, IMS DB/DC, DL/I, TSO/ISPF, SPUFI and JCL. Experienced in Easytrieve Plus, Intertest, Xpediter, Endevor, TELON, MS Windows and EDI/HIPAA inbound and outbound transaction processing. Analyzes system requirements and develops detailed system and program specifications. Adept at communicating concepts, ideas and information effectively and works exceptionally well with users and other team members. Reviews and translates logic into concise, maintainable, well structured code. Develops test data, conducts program tests and debugs programs according to plan. As a support analyst, provides technical assistance and problem solving support when required, which includes preparing user, system and operation documentation and providing on - call production recovery support.
Waterfall, RUP & Agile. System Development Life Cycle practices. Web application development using Java, ASP.net and C# with SOA design patterns. Enterprise Data Warehouse using Oracle, Sybase and SQL Server. Data Integration (ETL) using IBM Infosphere DataStage and MS SQL Server Integration Services. Business Intelligence/Analytics/Reporting using Business Objects Enterprise XI (SAP Business Objects), MS SQL Server Reporting Services and SharePoint., MS Windows (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Project)COBOL, DB2, SPUFI, SYNCSORT, IMS DB/DC, CICS, MVS, TSO/ISPF, DL/I, TELON, ENDEVOR, INTERTEST, XPEDITOR, JCL, EDI, z/OS, NDM, File-AID, Abend-AID, IBM utilities (IDCAMS, IEBGENER, etc.), QMF.
Confidential, Redmond, Washington
- Communicate requirements and QA product delivery prior to UAT with business customers.
- Front-line support for incident Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and resolution.
- Lead Sprint cycles for monthly delivery cadence
Confidential, Redmond, Washington
Business Intelligence Project Manager
- Business requirements (User Stories) and Business Requirements Documents.
- Data modeling and artifact creation; Logical Data Models (LDM) using ER/Studio
- Source-To-Target (STM) mapping documents using Excel/Sharepoint.
- Excel/Power BI to create prototypes via direct connections to MS SQL Server
- Reverse Engineering and analysis using MS SQL Sever (2014 & 2016)
- Meeting with clients to determine requirements, define project scope, timelines and resources needed.
- Clarifying a client's system specifications, understanding their work practices and the nature of their business.
- Presenting solutions in written or oral reports and helping clients with change-management activities.
- Defining software, hardware and network requirements.
- Designing, testing, installing and monitoring new systems.
Confidential, Seattle, Washington
IT Manager, Application Development & Support
- Performed package execution monitoring (SQL Server 2008 R2 Activity Monitor & Data Collection) to identify performance issues. Tuned various packages resulting in reduced batch window to meet online availability Service Level Agreements (SLA’s).
- Implemented Embarcadero ER/Studio to support reverse- and forward-engineer, compare and merge, and visually document data assets across multiple platforms and data sources.
- Proposed and implemented several process improvement initiatives, which included a time accounting system for workflow management to help enable more effective resource management and higher velocity for work request deliverables.
- Identify and resolve data integrity issues. Ensure business data requirements are accurately captured and agree to Master Data Management (MDM) and Data Governance guidelines.
- Completed systems analysis on as-is legacy COBOL zOS/Mainframe system to correlate system processing with user requirements. Queried Panvalet libraries to analyze COBOL modules and subroutines to perform systems analysis for batch and online processing.
- Used IBM utilities (IDCAMS, IEBGENER/IEBCOPY/IEBCOMPR, etc.) to identify and categorize legacy data that needed to be converted/migrated to new operational platform and which data could be archived for historical reference.
- Obtained budget approval for migrating Federal Employee Program (FEP) system off legacy mainframe platform onto a new SOA and web-based platform…>$5M Project
- In my role as business lead, I ensured that solid Business Use Cases (BUC’s) accurately captured business requirements. Applied business process improvement disciplines to ensure the “to-be” solution was optimal and not just a mirror of the “as-is” process flow.
IT Manager, Application Development
- Instituted Agile Sprint planning and review process to consistently deliver application features and fixes on a predetermined Build schedule. This enabled the development, test and business teams to work more effectively to coordinate and deploy successful builds.
- Implemented Customer Data Warehouse, Data Integration and Business Intelligence systems to support the Marketing Analytics and Membership departments. Providing the capability to view detailed historical customer data resulted in successful targeted marketing campaigns and improved customer experience…>$4M Project
- Negotiated with vendor (IBM) to provide adequate System Integration Test (SIT) environment to satisfy production parallel testing requirements.
- Mentored and trained Programmer/Analysts on structured design/coding, COBOL, IBM utilities, etc. in support of the legacy applications.
- Successful implementation of ANSI X12 for HIPAA compliance. Transaction sets include electronic claim processing and provider inquiry/response. Resulting in improved electronic benefit enrollment, claim status, payment and web based capabilities.
- Successful implementation of the Federal Employees Program Shared System (FEPSS) Real-Time claims adjudication project. This utilized IBM Websphere (MQ Series) technology to get real-time claim authorizations from District of Columbia (DC) Operations Center instead of older file transfer technology. This significantly reduced the time required to process member’s claims and improved adjudication rates…>$1M Project
- Successful implementation of an enterprise Operational Reporting project using Business Objects Enterprise XI (BOEXI). This was a major system migration/conversion effort that involved moving from Crystal Reports/COGNOS and Sybase to BOEXI and Oracle. This resulted in creating a common platform for over 300 customer reports being presented on a web based portal and allowing for significant operational improvements across all departments at the four Regence Bluecross/Blueshield plans…>$2M Project
- Revised existing COBOL batch and online (CICS) processing to accommodate revised schemas and file layouts.
- Converted the Boeing Membership Eligibility load process to new Hewitt vendor. Completed data flow diagrams and data mapping conversion documentation. Created one-time data conversion programs and modified existing system to receive data from a new source/vendor.
Confidential, Denver, Colorado
Consultant (Sr. Programmer/Analyst)
- Constructed and implemented two major MVS batch systems for the Offline Applications Development department. The MVS batch AP Card Management system gave Visa DPS its first capability to allow client institutions to order the actual credit/debit cards for their members.
- Integrated the Falcon Fraud detection system from HNC. This gave Visa DPS its first capability to offer their client real-time neural logic fraud detection, resulting in significant savings due to loss prevention.
- Implemented DB2 relational database enhancements for the Eastern region Loop Maintenance Operations System (LMOS). Extensive COBOL design and development to implement SQL for data access/update. Worked closely with DBA’s and business customers to develop Data Flow Diagrams and data models that translated to technical specifications for programmers.
- Developed new interface between the Mechanized Trouble Analysis System (MTAS) and the Work Force Administration System/Network Services Database (WFA/NSDB).
Systems Analyst (Programmer/Analyst)
- Converted applications from flat files to DB2 and IMS databases, performed batch and online development.
- Completed EDI Application Advice Mapping Integration for Accounting Systems.
- Consolidating plant Accounts Payable departments to Division, and enhancing the Cost Accounting application to ensure NAFTA customs compliance for trucks sold across the northern border for the Corporate Accounting department. He also traveled to various plant locations for project planning, user training and systems implementation.