Dedicated IT pro with a lot of DA/DBA experience along with a tech lead focus on deriving useful analytical information from operational system data. Worked for years with vendors such as IBM since Confidential outsourced a majority of IT jobs.
- SQL Server 7 thru SQL Server 2014, Teradata, DB2, Hadoop
- Business Objects XI, Knosys ProClarity, Cognos Impromptu, Crystal Enterprise, SAS
- AS 2000 thru AS 2014, Cognos PowerPlay, Essbase
- IIS/.NET, App Center, MS Cluster Service, Active Directory
- MS Office 95 thru Office 2016, WordPerfect, Harvard Graphics, MS Project, MacProject
- ASP.NET, ANSI & Teradata SQL, COBOL
- Win/DOS thru Win 10, Win Server 3.51 thru Win 2012, OS2, IBM MVS/ESA, VAX/VMS, Apple/Mac
- TCP/IP, Windows, Banyan/Vines, LAN Manager, AppleTalk, Novell, DEC/Pathworks
- Rational, Visio, ERWin, Visible Analyst & EasyER, LBMS, Bachman, IEF (TI)
- UML, Bachman (Chris Gane), Information Engineering, Yourdan, SDM70
BI Solutions Engineer Senior Advisor
- The last 7 years as a BI Sol Engineer Sen Advisor, was a lead technology resource on multi - million-dollar projects such as Payment Innovation, PC2, Provider Finder involved large teams and multi-platform integration. This was typical of extracting data from Teradata (over 6 petabytes) into SQL Server datamarts and sometimes AS OLAP DB’s or Confidential .
- The last prototype project involved Hadoop and Analysis Services. About 1000 physical servers were virtualized to host SQL Server EE.
- As an Infrastructure Services Advisor, responsibilities of supporting SQL Server and Analysis Services continued.
- Also added were the server virtualization initiative, expansion of the Confidential R2 environments. Consolidation and upgrading of the test SQL 2000 and AS 2000 environments for Virginia users was completed and similar work on the production environment started.
- As a Developer Advisor, responsibilities remained unchanged with regards to SQL Server, Analysis Services and BI tool support and administration. Still supporting over 100 production databases on 8 servers including active/active and active/passive clusters.
- Originally hired as a Senior DBA at Confidential accomplishments included consolidation of Win/SQL Server physical servers, virtualization, the implementation of new Teradata environments, converting 9 SQL Server to Teradata. Installed SAS 9.3.1 on 4 servers including Forecaster and Metadata Server.
- Assisted a project team with the development and implementation of two new OLAP databases containing 15 cubes.
- Another major accomplishment was the design and implementation of the new enterprise system architecture for Business Objects XI (R2).
- The initial production environment consisted of 5 Win 2003 servers, IIS6/.NET 2.0 and Confidential R2 (2 web servers, 3 app servers) then R3 upgrade.
- Worked with the Business Objects vendor to size the initial 1000 user environment in Virginia before corporate rollout in 14 more states.
- As a data architect at the Virginia Employment Commission, responsibilities included integration of Microsoft products on 20 servers (15 production, 5 test). The MACC system (ASP/COM+) has been implemented on Win 2000, SQL Server 2000 and App Center 2000 architecture.
- Major accomplishments included integration of all Microsoft technologies, performance tuning (including 2 weeks at the Boston MTC performing a Transaction Cost Analysis). Supported 9 servers with over 100 databases, including failover clustering and log shipping (warm standby). The type two data warehouse has two physical databases; one a daily copy and the other captures all updates and delete transactions.
- Views were used to union all rows for history of an entity.
- As a DA at the Confidential, major accomplishments included designing a new SQL Server database to support the new Forest Management system.
- Responsibilities included analysis, design and implementation of the database along with facilitating end user sessions and interviews.
- As a data architect at the Confidential, major accomplishments included design and implementation of a new SQL Server architecture to replace Sybase. All 17 databases were upgraded to SQL Server 2000 with only 1 remaining on SQL Server 7 (purchased system).
- The new architecture included log shipping for the mission critical system.
- Responsibilities included project management, task supervision, sizing of servers and traditional DBA tasks. Another major accomplishment involved designing and implementing a multi subject area data warehouse that is used for reporting via MS Access and OLAP cube generation (MS Excel client). The initial data warehouse had about 75 tables.
- As a data architect at the Confidential, major accomplishments included the design and implementation of a multi subject area data warehouse that supports public safety departments (police, fire, rescue). The initial SQL Server 2000 data warehouse contained over 140 tables, over 12 OLAP cubes and dozens of web-enabled reports (200 user rollout of Seagate Info). Knosys ProClarity and MS Excel are clients to the OLAP cubes. DTS was used for 2 major ETL interfaces from Oracle to SQL 2000. Responsibilities included analysis, design, implementation and typical DBA tasks.
Senior Information Consultant
- As a lead information consultant with Reynolds Metals, major accomplishments included defining and implementing best practices for data base administration, data warehousing, BI and OLAP. Consulted with several project teams on data warehouse design for manufacturing systems and designed a custom meta data repository for Mill Products plants.
- Lead the product evaluation of BI tools (Cognos PowerPlay and Impromptu were chosen).
- Lead the product evaluation for ETL tools (Data Junction was chosen).
- Enhanced the Confidential data warehouse, migrated data bases to SQL Server 7.0 from 6.5, and rolled out MS OLAP technology.
- Also supported project teams with data modeling, SQL Server and DB2 (project DBA tasks). Completed the design (logical and physical) on many SQL Server databases.
- Assisted with the design and implementation of several data warehouses for manufacturing divisions and corporate departments.
- One of the three data architects assigned to the ERP suite evaluation and data architecture portion of the Enterprise Architecture strategy.
- As the data architect assigned to the middleware team, new ODBC drivers for DB2 were implemented with a replication strategy for SQL Server and asynchronous message queuing from the shop floor to JD Edwards “One World” ERP suite.
- As a systems analyst with the Commonwealth, responsibilities included working on the full life cycle analysis (including data modeling) and design of several standalone PC based GUI applications (Windows & Watcom SQL) using Bachman and PowerBuilder and rolling out a client/server reporting application (InfoMaker, DEC/Rdb and IBM/DB2).
- Directed the development completion and rollout of a large criminal justice data base called " Confidential " (CICS/DB2) using Bachman and CSP/2AD.
- Directed the rollout of an OS2 LAN to support MIS analysts (Bachman) and developers (PowerBuilder).
- Performed product evaluations for GUI development, client/server tools and data base gateways.
- Introduced client/server practices such as defining classes, objects and inheritance strategies.
- Staff supervision included managing a project teams of several developers including annual reviews.