- Seasoned web operations engineer with years in the industry
- Comfortable with large server installations across multiple data centers
- Experienced with supporting high volume and critical production environments
- Results oriented individual, able to meet deadlines and achieve company goals
- Quick learner, ability to acquire new technologies, adapt to new/changing environment in a short period of time
- Amazon AWS
DIRECTOR OF DATACENTER OPERATIONS
- Our company acquired another company and had to in corporate their EC2 environment with our physical datacenter environment. Converted all their build and deployment processes to be managed by puppet. Created Amazon VPC and configured VPN between our datacenter and AWS cloud. This allowed us to add additional functionality to our core applications.
- First project was to automate our server deployments. We were able to replace the legacy script - based method with a combination of Puppet and Cobbler. Reduced the time to deploy hundreds of servers from days to hours.
- Replaced Puppet with Saltstack. This allowed us to tie it to our development process which allowed us to deploy and configure in-house apps with Saltstack. Code release times were improved significantly.
- Worked closely with development teams to come up with requirements, procuring resources in order to productionalize, deploy, and update applications. Automated the building of alpha and beta environments to test new application builds. Served as the highest point of escalation for support issues related to the infrastructure.
- Evaluated and implemented open source technologies such as Hadoop, Hive, Kafka, Zookeeper, Flume, Sqoop, Puppet, Cassandra, Scylla, Redis, Memcached, Aerospike, MongoDB, LVS, Keepalived, Postgres, Pgpool, MySQL, Tomcat, Httpd, Vservers, Ovirt
- Built Hadoop stack with all related technologies to support ingesting and analyzing 100s of TBs of data daily which was crucial to the core business.
- Real-time bidding platform required sub 25ms end-to-end latency. To achieve this, had to constantly tune the backend applications such as Cassandra, Scylla, Memcached, the frontend applications such as Httpd, Tomcat, jvm tuning, and adding and upgrading hardware as needed.
- Designed a network infrastructure to support traffic that doubles in volume every year. Configured WAN, BGP, routers, load balancers, switches, firewalls, proxies, DNS and VPNs.
- Early on, Piranha load balancers were not able to meet the demands of our growing traffic and became a bottleneck. Switched the load balancing method to direct routing and reconfigured all the real servers. This allowed the load balancers to be horizontally scalable.
- Planned and designed the build-out of the physical datacenter including capacity-planning, forecasting, gathering requirements, and implementation.
SENIOR LINUX SYSTEMS ENGINEER
- Increased productivity by designing an automated framework to build and provision new application servers using Puppet, Kickstart, and VMware, thereby reducing application deployment time by 90%.
- Maintained system and network infrastructure in production environment. Monitored 24x7 operation ensuring stability and performance. Rotated on-call duties with other team members.
- Deployed and configured environments for J2EE applications using Jboss and Weblogic platform. Improved web application performance by tuning Apache, Tomcat, and Jboss settings. Analyzed application performance and submitted recommendations to developers.
- Served as lead technical expert when evaluating, testing, adopting new technologies including many open source software such as Puppet, Mysql, Nagios, Opswise, and Openldap.
- Administered and installed Oracle 10G database servers. Improved application performance by tuning database settings. Designed and implemented database backup, restore and maintenance policies.
- Created procedures to load data and migrate existing data to Confidential web application which reduced time for implementation of new clients by 50% and significantly reduced future errors due to faulty implementation.
- Designed web tools using custom cgi, shell and sql scripts to allow support personnel to process cases without escalating to Engineering department.
- Responsibility includes maintaining and monitoring three different sites on a daily basis. Sites include production environment, disaster recovery environment, and office environment each with their own distinct infrastructure.
- Maintained router, switch, firewall, disk arrays and other networking and san equipment.
- Implemented new web, application, and database servers. Upgraded and repurposed legacy servers. Upgraded existing equipment to provide more capacity for rapidly growing base of 30000 users
- Optimized IIS web application by enabling caching, compression, analyzing memory dumps, editing metabase and registry settings. Used http analyzer and ethereal packet traces to discover problems with the web site.
- Served as the highest point of escalation for technical support issues related to our web application product.
COMPUTER FIELD TECHNICIAN
- Installed and replaced field replacement units for desktops and portables.
- Diagnosed malfunctioning units.
- Repaired hardware problems and software configuration issues.
- Installed operating systems and performed backup and restores.
TECHNICAL SUPPORT SPECIALIST
- Interacted with customers by phone, e-mail or online chat to support our VOIP service.
- Worked closely with Network Operations Center Engineers to escalate or resolve end user problems.
JR SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR
- Troubleshoot, maintain and support the hardware, software, and network for the university library
INFORMATION SYSTEMS INTERN
- Project included installing and configuring a UNIX Sun Solaris Server and adding additional tables and forms for the library’s voyager database