Extensive experience in accounting, finance, human resources and information technology in service based companies. Leader in providing structure to the financial management processes that provide meaningful and timely information. Executive responsible for anticipating operational and compliance challenges and the creator of strategies to leverage readily available technology to reduce the effort and cost of providing critical data.
Experienced user of integrated accounting systems (G/L, inventory, A/P, A/R, point of sale, cash management) including Peachtree, QuickBooks, Quantum, Jonas, MAS90 and others. Intermediate/advanced user of Excel. Experienced pc user, familiar with Windows networks, active directory, DHCP, terminal services manager and remote desktop over VPN. Familiar with various tax tools and tax preparation software applications. Advanced user of Intuit ProSeries products and Thomson Reuters Fixed Asset Solution.
Controller and Human Resources Manager
- Financial manager for private member owned country club.
- Responsible for all financial accounting and human resources activities, including monthly closings, employee on - boarding, payroll, benefits administration and the systems that make this all happen.
- Confidential has 120 employees in total (50 full time with benefits, 40 part-time and 30 seasonal).
- I inherited a very difficult situation where the methods and policies related to basically all financial activities had been severely neglected by the board of directors and finance committee that govern these processes.
- Changes were made and since my tenure began several issues have been brought under control, policies have been put in place and vendors & systems changed.
- Some larger, more complicated challenges are still works in progress.
- Fractional controller for wholesale distributor of odor elimination products and related accessories with revenues of $18mm+.
- Assist management team with valuation, accounting processes and controls for $1.1mm finished goods inventory being sold through two main distribution channels.
- Prepare annual cash flow plan and monthly cash flow projections.
- Provide monthly reconciliation of other subsidiary systems to trial balance.
- Implemented capitalization policy to comply with recent tax changes related to repairs, maintenance and betterment expenditures and the corresponding safe harbor rules.
Controller and Human Resources Director
- Improved the effectiveness and efficiency of employees and improved the members’ experience by persuading the board of directors to make initial and continuing investment in information technology and network infrastructure, including virtualizing application and terminal servers and acquiring image based back-up and disaster recovery.
- Improved the quality and timeliness of financial and statistical information by converting an existing legacy point of sale and general ledger systems to a robust vertically integrated line of business application to meet the needs of users club wide. Provide first line of system and network user support to point-of-sale operators and back office workstations to reduce the dependence on costly outside service provider.
- Converted in-house legacy time keeping and payroll systems to outsourced providers using biometric time clocks and web based applications to eliminate buddy punching and provide remote access to department heads to fix missing time clock punches and paid time off.
- Introduced organizational controls to reduce operating costs by improving department head accountability. Provide internal audit processes that uncovered frauds totaling $60K of missing inventory.
- Improved compliance and reduced property taxes by implementing a widely used fixed asset accounting system to track book, tax and AMT depreciation.
- Designed and implemented compliance systems to meet general & industry specific regulatory requirements, including sales & use tax reporting and unrelated business income calculation (non-member revenue) for an Confidential Section 501(c)(7) organization.
- Provide public accounting, tax and controllership services to small businesses.
- Clientele included manufacturers, medical offices, commercial real estate developer/broker, construction contractors, property managers, distributors and wholesalers, dealerships, retailers, private clubs, trade magazine publishers, nonprofit organizations and many other service companies.
Vice President and Controller
- Responsible for external and internal financial reporting, supervised preparation of consolidated financial statements for bank holding company, annual report, SEC 10Q and 10K, Federal Reserve and FDIC regulatory reporting.
- Managed accounting department, directly responsible for all financial and managerial accounting including investment portfolio accounting, annual budget, account analysis and special projects.