- BIG DATA Engineer with 15+ years of experience in the design / development for Tableau 9.x & 10.x, Cognos 11.x, Cognos 10.X, 8.4 (Framework Manager, Event Studio, Query Studio, Analysis Studio, Report Studio, Transformer), ETL, Data Warehouse, Oracle environment in supporting all aspects product life cycle seeks a challenging position.
- 6 Plus Years’ experience in designing/developing, supporting ETL / Data Warehouse No SQL/ Big Data / AWS Applications with hands on experience for AWS RedShift / Tableau / Cognos, S3.
- Experience in Leading/Managing Analytics environment.
- Experience in Cognos Migrations, tuning Cognos BI 10.x and OLAP components for faster access and performance.
- Experience in creating/developing Tableau visualizations, dashboards, and schedule, distribute, and run reports. Sound knowledge on Tableau architecture, design and development.
- Thorough knowledge on Cognos 11.x Analytics suite.
- Commendable knowledge in data preparation and adhoc data cleansing and standardization using Alteryx and SSIS.
- Extensively used Unix Shell scripting with AWK & SED languages and SQL, PL/SQL to create stored packages, procedures, functions and database triggers.
- Interact with Business Analysts and business users to gather various Metrics and Dashboard requirements.
- Mentoring developers and power users on Cognos new features and how to use the various Cognos studios.
OS: Windows NT/2000/XP, SunOS 5.7, HP - Unix 11, Linux
Databases: Oracle RDBMS (v6.x, v7.x, 8i, 9i & 10g), SQL Server (2012 & 2015), MS Access, Excel
Big data: Hadoop 1.0, Cloudera 4, Pig 0.11.1
ETL: Informatica 5.1 (Power Mart & Power Center)
Tools: & Packages: Cognos 10.x, 8.x (Framework Manager, Report Studio, Query Studio, Analysis Studio, Metrics Studio and Cognos connection), Impromptu 7.x (User and Admin Versions), IWR 7.x with IIS, Ticket Server, Power Play Transformer 7.x, Power Play Enterprise for Web 7.x with Upfront & Access Manager 7.x, Power Prompts 7.x, Metrics, Architect, Tableau 9.x, 10.x, SQL*Loader, ER-Win, Toad, SQL*Navigator.
Version Control System Tools: PVCS, HVCS, Clear Case, RCS, Visual Source Safe, TFS
Confidential, Ewing, NJ
BI Architect/ Senior Programmer
- Interact with Business users, Business Analysts and DBAs.
- Developed canned/ad hoc reports/visualizations and complex dashboards in Tableau per client requirement.
- Developed and maintaining Tableau dashboards, and schedule, distribute, and run reports.
- Converted Cenbase portal queries to Tableau reports/visualizations.
- Developed SQL mappings and workflows to load the files received from the vendors and create extract files for downstream systems for both internal applications and external vendors.
- Re-wrote SQL queries to improve the Query performance.
- Written stored procedures to utilize in applications to get optimal performance.
- Work with the QC team to facilitate extensive and rigorous testing and troubleshooting bugs before deployment.
Environment: SQL Server 2015, SQL Server 2012, SSIS,Team Foundation Server, Tableau 10.x
Confidential, Warren, NJ
BI Architect / Sr. Developer
- Establish the process for documenting reporting requirements and designs. With a focus on data quality and usability, recommend and implement reporting mechanisms that enable data analysis to facilitate business decisions.
- Key liaison among business owners, functional analysts, application developers, and data warehouse teams to clarify functional design questions.
- Understands and translates business and data requirements
- Creates and maintains excellent data documentation that allows the data to be understood and leveraged for additional use.
- Ensures data structures are designed for flexibility to support future business needs and enhancements.
- Acts as a Subject Matter Expert on Data Warehousing and consults with business and technical personnel to enable understanding and use of existing data.
- Good understanding of ODS, Data Warehouse, Data Mart’s and Cubes.
- In-depth knowledge of Dimensions, hierarchies and attributes, Data Warehousing.
- Work with the development team to deliver new developments to customers
- Expert data modeling skills in addition to schema design, SQL, and in-depth data modeling techniques
- Effectively Used Database Management & Performance Tools - Toad, SQL Programmer, Data modeling/Data Warehousing - Snowflake, Star Schema, Erwin.
- Ability to Lead Team, good coordination with team members to make sure proper standard are followed.
- Very good Documentation and communication skills.
- Coordinating with QA, DBA, Infrastructure, Production support team for Release Management.
- Responsible for leading offshore development teams.
- Mentors, educates, and trains less experienced team members.
- Analysis of MCS system processes/functionality to identify potential financial risks and/or opportunities for VZW and vendors.
- Create summarized tables on top of transactional tables for faster data retrieval of Cognos reports/trends.
- Using DSE Cassandra, Hadoop ran MapReduce jobs for Recon data in Cassandra. Prepared Analytics Report based on Recon Ran.
- Update the Cognos Framework Manager (Metadata modeling tool) model on a timely manner and publish the package on Cognos connection.
- Preparation all required Trend reports / Dashboards using Cognos/Tableau application to provide Revenue/Sales Metrics (hourly/daily/monthly/week over week) on the products to the senior management on timely manner.
- Migrated Cognos version 10.1.1 into 10.2.2 environment.
- Created process/standards for migrating metrics from UNIX reporting into COGNOS/Tableau.
- Routinely identify opportunities for minimizing revenue loss and increasing premium content sales.
- Review capabilities of Error Management System and provide recommendations for recovering additional revenue from erred records
- Create alerts to validate newly deployed code to ensure no impacts to the vendors/customers.
- Identify monitoring gaps and make recommendations for implementation to ensure the system availability is 100%
- Develop complex queries and reports.
- Developed new Tableau visualizations based on the business need.
- Created repeatable processes for data extraction, classification, enhancement, and analysis activities in Tableau.
- Converted business requirements into dashboard views and designs. Created analytical views for reporting portfolio data.
- Developed canned/ad hoc reports and complex dashboards in Tableau.
- Developed and maintaining Tableau dashboards, and schedule, distribute, and run reports.
- Work with DBA team to identify opportunities for query/report tuning and process improvement
- Provide support on all production applications which includes Data Grid and Recon. Created event driven reporting on Data Grid reports.
- Create COGNOS reporting methods and procedures for Marketing/Cost Assurance/Analysts teams and Coach/ Mentor the Power Users and Analysts.
Environment: Cognos 10.x (Report Studio, Event Studio, Query Studio, Cognos Configuration), Framework Manager, Powerplay Transformer, Tableau 9.x, UNIX SHELL/SED/AWK, Oracle,SQLServer, IBM Cognos, Datastax-Cassandra 4.8/5.x,D-Series scheduler, Toad/SQL Developer.
Confidential, South Brunswick, NJ
Cognos Architect / Sr. Developer
- Created multipage dashboards and set communication between pages using global prompts.
- Involved in Development, Planning and implementation of Cognos8 BI Suite.
- Interact with Business users and gather requirements.
- Coordinating with the database team in setting up the required materialized views, aggregated and De-normalized tables as per reporting and analytical requirements.
- Created Models using Framework Manager and published packages on Cognos connection.
- Designed and created multi dimensional powercubes with Transformer and published them on Cognos Connection.
- Created Complex Reports (crosstab reports, drill through reports and charts) in Cognos 8BI Report Studio.
- Extensively written SQL queries to verify the Report studio reports against database queries.
- Created Powerplay Reports using Analysis Studio.
- Scheduled Content Store Backup.
- Scheduled report jobs using Event Studio and set agents to alert when the revenue threshold cross the limit.
- Configured Active Directory server with Cognos 8 BI.
- Implemented data security to restrict users in Framework Manager Level and report level.
- Created user Groups and Roles in Cognos Connection.
- Deployed Packages and Reports from DEV Environment to UAT and PROD Environments.
- Imported metadata from various sources such as Relational Databases, Report Net models, Impromptu Catalogs into the Framework Manager.
- Used Query Studio to develop ad hoc reports.
- Interact with business users to for future release requirements.
- Update the Catalog according to the changes in Source database and make the joins where ever necessary.
- Update all the affected reports and Cubes.
- Change / Create new measures to the existing Cubes.
- Create new Impromptu reports and published on IWR.
- Test reports and Cubes, build test cases and moving from Development to QA/Staging into Production.
- Provide on-going production support to the Cubes and Reports.
- Feature enhancements and bug fixes in the Cubes and Reports.
- Support users and give to the new users.
Environment: Cognos 8.4.1 (Framework Manager, Event Studio, Query Studio, Analysis Studio, Report Studio Cognos Configuration), Oracle 9i/11g, SQL Server,AIX / Windows 2008 server, Impromptu 7 series / IWR, Power play Transformer 8.4.1, Cognos Impromptu 7.3, Visual Source Safe.
Confidential, Peapack, NJ
Sr. Cognos Developer
- Worked on ReportNet studio to convert the existing Impropmtu reports to ReportNet.
- Created complex reports with multiple prompts, cascading prompts, conditional formatting and calculated columns.
- Validated the reports against database using SQLs.
- Worked closely with Business users to help them develop ad-hoc reports in Query Studio.
- Trained users on Cognos connection and creation of simple reports in Query Studio using the specific packages and prepared documentation.
- Created complex Impromptu and PowerPlay reports as per the requirements to solve business problems.
- Created and published the PowerPlay cube using PowerPlay Enterprise Manager.
- Consult with business users on various aspects of their reporting needs, gather and define report requirements through user interviews and solicitation.
- Created Transformer models using PowerPlay Transformer.
- Created Drill through reports, Crosstab reports, Sub reports as per reporting requirements.
- Created reports with conditional formatting to create exception reports.
- Created, tested and deployed reports using Cognos suite
- Actively involved in the upgrade of cognos reporting environment at the company.
- Developed standard templates in the company for standard use
- Acted as a technical expert on the implementation of systems business requirements.
- Provided developer support on complex development challenges as needed (for example, helping teams work out logic issues on reports)
- Developed a process for performing design reviews and code reviews for all Cognos development and developed documentation for the project.
- Responsible for analysis of business requirement and evaluation of solutions to provide with a most efficient and cost effective system design
- Provided technical and business knowledge throughout the lifecycle of the project.
Environment: ReportNet 1.x (Report Studio, Query Studio, Cognos Configuration), Framework Manager, Oracle 9i, Impromptu 7 series, Powerplay Transformer and Windows XP.
Confidential, Wilmington, DE
- Interaction with Business users.
- Analyze business requirements and document business functions.
- Prepare technical requirements and technical design documents.
- Prepare project timelines using Microsoft Project.
- Data extraction using Oracle PL/SQL procedures, SQL*Loader and unix shell scripts.
- Create Cognos catalog and maintain / update catalogs.
- Build Impromptu reports and IWR reports using Cognos Impromptu.
- Apply security to the PowerPlay Cube Model via Cognos Access Manager.
- Create / Enhance powerplay data models using Cognos powerplay transformer and apply security to the Model.
- Create / Re-build powerplay cubes using Cognos Powerplay.
- Make the powerplay cubes available to users on web by sourcing the Catalog and cubes.
- Write UNIX shell script(s) to automate and the cube rebuild process.
- Create test plans and work with team member to move-up and back-out plans from
- Development to Production.
- Implement the project(s).
Environment: Intel Pentium PCs, Windows NT/HP-UX 11, Oracle 9I( 22.214.171.124), PL/SQL, SQL*Loader, Lecco SQL expert, Cognos impromptu 7.1/IWR, Cognos Powerplay 7.1 /Web, PowerPlay Enterprise Server, PowerPlay Transformer 7.1, Upfront 7.1, Access Manager 7.1, Cognos Metrics Manager, Unix Shell Scripting, ER-Win, Visio, MS-Project 2000.
Confidential, West Point, PA
ETL and Cognos Developer
- Responsible for developing extraction, transformation and load (ETL) programs, writing Informatica source/target mappings, scripts and schedules for a New, Strategic enterprise wide application.
- Created Impromptu Reports, Catalogs and Impromptu Web Reports (IWR).
- Created Power cubes, PowerPlay Reports, PowerPlay Web Reports.
- Involved in users maintenance and security settings using Access Manager and Architect for data modeling.
- Created scripts for cubes rebuild process.
- Also worked on a project to convert the existing Crystal reports into Cognos environment. In this high visibility project, my responsibilities were:
- Analyzed the existing crystal reports to convert into Cognos IWR and PowerPlay.
- Create Oracle Functions / Procedures to boost-up the performance in Metrics development.
- Create / Update/ Maintain the Cognos catalogs in production and development environment.
- Actively involved in new metrics development using Impromptu and PowerPlay.
Environment: Intel Pentium PCs, Windows NT/HP-UX 11, Oracle 8.1.7(8i) / 9iInformatica (Power Center, Power Mart), PL/SQL, SQL*Loader, SQL*Navigator, Cognos impromptu 7.0, Power play7.0 /Web, PowerPlay Transformer 7.0, Cognos Query, Upfront 7.0, Access Manager, Cognos Visualizer, ER-Win
Confidential, Morris Plains, NJ
ETL and Cognos Developer
- Involved in ETL programming, warehouse design, reporting and implementing security for the data warehouse application.
- The source data comes from People Soft 7.5/ 8.0 and is snapped into Oracle tables (derived tables) on a daily basis. Some parts of the data are loaded into Oracle tables using SQL*Loader, but the majority of the ETL work is done writing PL/SQL scripts.
- Derived tables were transformed into dimensions and facts using PL/SQL Scripts, which were then scheduled to run overnight to refresh the data into the warehouse.
- Created Impromptu Reports, Maintained Catalog (TMS) and Impromptu Web Reports (IWR).
- Involved in user Maintenance and security settings using Access Manager and Cognos Architect for data modeling.
- The security was implemented at the department level for the organization.
- Wrote shell scripts to run and schedule jobs and provide flat file manipulation using AWK and SED languages in interfacing.
- Created SQR Reports.The warehouse design is based on the star schema with 17 dimensions and 6 facts and is snow flaked with 2-3 dimensions.
Environment: Intel Pentium PCs, Windows NT/HP-UX 11/Sun Solaris 2.8 Oracle 8.1.7(8i) / Oracle 9I, PL/SQL, Informatica (Power Center, Power Mart), Pro*C, SQL*Loader, Cognos Architect 6.x, Cognos Visualizer, Cognos impromptu / IWR 6.1, Power play6.6, Upfront 6.0, Access Manager 6.0, ER-Win, SQL*Navigator