Summary of Experience
- Over Seven years of IT experience in Enterprise Business Intelligence lifecycle implementation and Cognos BI tools.
- Extensively worked on Framework Manager, Report Studio, Query Studio, Analysis Studio and Event Studio for Reports design in Cognos Suite.
- Strong experience as a Reports Author with experience in gathering requirements, assessing, developing project designs, tests, research and data analysis.
- Proven ability to deliver and ensure success in high-pressure/high-risk situations.
- Liason between business groups and technical teams.
- Persuasive verbal and written communication skills and Strong analytical skills.
- Experienced in building multidimensional models and creating Power Cubes for distribution using PowerPlay Transformer and Power Play reports.
- Expertise in Migration of the applications from Cognos Series 7 to Cognos series 8.
- Experienced in maintenance, support, change-control and end-user training as part of setting up a sustainable BI life cycle.
- Proficient in all phases of Data Warehousing Concepts.
- Data warehousing ETL experience using Informatica Power Center 5.1.2/1.7.x, Power Mart 5.1.2/4.7.x (Repository Manager, Server manager, Mapping Designer, Mapplet Designer, Transformations Designer, Warehouse Designer, Workflow Manager and Workflow Monitor).
- Experienced in dimensional and relational modeling in Star Schema and Snowflake Schemas.
- Expertise in multiple relational databases including Oracle (9i, 10g), MS SQL Server and DB2.
- Experience in PL/SQL, SQL, SQL*Plus, Shell Scripts, TOAD, Stored Procedures /Triggers on Unix and Windows platforms.
- Involved in the complete life cycle development process in the data warehousing.
- Proficient in developing and executing test plans based on system and validation requirements.
- Expertise in Planning, designing, implementing and deploying Cognos solutions for various clients.
- Expertise in Installing and configuring Cognos BI Server 8.4 using distributed Servers methodology.
- Trained on Cognos TM1 software.
Bachelors in Computer science
BI Tools : Cognos 8.0/8.2/8.3/8.4 BI Framework Manager, Report Studio, Query
Studio, Analysis Studio, Metric Studio, Event Studio
ReportNet1.1 (MR1/2) : Cognos Connection, Framework Manager, Query studio, Report Studio,
Cognos Series (7.x/6.x) : Cognos Impromptu, Impromptu User, Impromptu Web Reports,
Cognos Power Play Transformer, Power Play User, Power Play Web
Reports, Power Play Enterprise server, Access Manager
ETL Tools : Informatica 7.x. Decision Stream, Data Stage.
Databases : Oracle 10g/9i, MS SQL Server 2008/2005/2000, DB2, Teradata and
Web Servers : Apache Tomcat, Web logic Server 8.1/9.2/10, MS IIS 5/6.0
Programming : C, C#, Java, Unix Shell Scripting, SQL, T-SQL, PL/SQL, HTML, XML
Environment : Windows XP/2000/98, Win NT, UNIX (Sun Solaris, HP, AIX, Linux)
Other Tools : SQL*Plus, Toad, Putty, Ms-Office
Role: Sr Cognos Developer Feb ‘09 – Jun ’10
- Gathered, analyzed and documented user requirements for reporting.
- Installed and configured Cognos BI Server 8.4 using Multi Tier Architecture
- Provided application design guidance and create design techniques to advance the client’s application capabilities.
- Implemented BI administration procedures and application support practices.
- Prepare Functional Specifications, Technical Specifications, Testing Plans and other documentation as required by client’s Systems Development Lifecycle.
- Created Report Data Mappings from the base data sources which eased business to identify requirements
- Developed Framework Model against ORACLE database with filters and calculations included for effective reporting and published packages on to portal
- Created Complex reports like the Multipage reports, conditionally formatted reports including graphs and images, drill through reports.
- Developed Dash Board reports in Report Studio using MDX Functions.
- Created, refreshed and supported Cognos Transformer models and cubes to support timely Transaction operations.
- Working on Cube data’s and developing many cross tab reports by using various MDX functions like Tuple, Children, Memberset and experienced in Query joining.
- Used MDX capabilities for improving system efficiency.
- Created Conditional Block reports to dynamically hide or show report objects and provide the end user the option to view the data in different formats.
- Developed Cascading prompts to filter data dynamically and conveniently locate the data the users are trying to use.
- Developed complex reports, multi-query reports and sub selects queries to meet the client requirements.
- Applied Security based on user roles and published reports. Prepared user and technical documentation.
- Imported Cognos reports into Excel and formatted those using Cognos 8 Go! Office and scheduled them.
- Using the Cognos Scheduler (Schedule Management tool), scheduled the long-running reports to provide static views to the business.
Environment: Cognos series8 (version 8.3 & 8.4), Framework Manager, Access Manager, Cognos Connection, Transformer, Cognos 8 Go! Office, Oracle 10G, Toad, UNIX and Windows XP
Role: Cognos Developer/Designer July’07 – Jan’09
Confidential,is the largest North American firm of chocolate and sugar confectionery products. Developed reports for the APO Team using information stored in Teradata, which helped in demand planning and forecasting of products. The project involved debugging and creation of frameworks. Also created 30+ reports for Logistics Team. Using carrier modes, carrier freights created reports that way helped users and warehouse contacts to schedules deliveries including delivery time and delivery stop times.
- Responsible for understanding Business Process and managing with Business users to meet specific user requirements.
- Developed Informatica ETL programs that retrieve and load data from/to SQL Server or Oracle databases.
- Developed processes for extracting, cleansing, transforming, integrating and loading data.
- Metadata modeling of both Relational and Dimensional data using Framework manager.
- Queried data from different database tables as per the requirement.
- Created different filters and calculations in Framework Manager that can be effectively used while reporting.
- Created packages using multiple data sources in the framework manager.
- Created Calculated Levels based on Business Requirement to perform Analysis using Analysis Studio.
- Created highly complex and formatted reports in Cognos8 using most of the Cognos functionality (such as Conditional Formatting, Drill Through, Repeaters, and Discontinuous Crosstabs, Dashboards etc.)
- Performed optimization on the existing reports to decrease the run time to meet the real time requirements and made changes to the existing reports for good look and feel for the users.
- Migrated packages and Reports among various environments such as Development, Test and Production.
- Conducted User training for a batch of 10 on Cognos8 (Report Studio, Analysis Studio and Query Studio) and Framework Manager and provided end documentation.
- Providing support and troubleshooting problems as required.
- Created ASP pages for clients.
Environment: Cognos 8/8.1/8.2(Framework Manager, Query Studio, Analysis Studio Report Studio, Deployment Manager), Oracle 10g, 9i, MS Access, SQL Server, Teradata, Teradata SQL Assistant, TOAD, Windows NT/2000, UNIX.
Role: Cognos Developer Nov’06 – Jun’07
Confidential,is a prepaid mobile phone provider. A subsidiary of América Móvil, it provides service in the United States, Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands. TracFone is currently the fifth-largest mobile network operator and the largest mobile virtual network operator in the U.S. market with over 12 million customers.
- Involved in the Migration Project from Reportnet to Cognos8.
- Migrated and Tested many reports in Report Studio.
- Involved in the Installation and configuration of Framework manager.
- Created different Packages and Models based upon the Requirements and published them to Cognos Connection.
- Created shortcuts to all cubes, dashboards and other reports in BI and scheduled them every day.
- Tested all the reports including dashboards and created a template and solved many kinds of issues like Conditional Formatting to the Dashboards, and many other issues in Report Studio.
- Gathered, Analyzed and Documented user requirements for reporting.
- Created simple and complex reports using Report Studio and Analysis Studio.
- Developed Dash boards including custom charts, cross tabs, drill-throughs
- Provided training in Analysis Studio to the end users.
- Designed and implemented data cubes using Microsoft OLAP services, Cognos Impromptu and Power Play to facilitate executive, management and end user reporting.
- Integrated Transformer 8.3 with various other third party namespaces
- Created reports using Cognos and automated scripts to validate the integrity of the data based on end user needs.
- Worked on Analysis studio for creating various reports to the Executives for analyzing various Budget Management tasks.
Environment: Cognos series8 (version 8.2), ReportNet, Framework Manager, Oracle 10g, Toad, Cognos Connection, SQL Server 2005
End client: Confidential,PA
Role: Cognos Consultant Nov ‘05 – Oct’06
Confidential,one of the largest life insurance companies in the U.S. These companies offer a variety of products and services, including life insurance, mutual funds, annuities, pension and retirement-related services and administration etc. This project involved designing of Functional Requirement Specifications for report development in retirement products and migration from Cognos series 7 to Cognos8.
- Assisted System Administrators in Cognos Migration from series 7 to 8 and installed Software Updates.
- Involved in data gathering and developing models in Framework Manager and publishing the packages onto Cognos Connection.
- Converted as many as 50 + reports from Series 7 to Cognos 8.
- Implemented Package level security and object level security in Framework manager
- Created Simple List reports, Cross-tab reports, Conditional formatting and Drill - through Reports using Report Studio.
- Created burst reports and made them available to appropriate users resulting in saving lot of time and effort.
- Worked using OLAP tool, PowerPlay for building cubes and reports that meet the business requirements.
- Experience in building multidimensional cubes.
- Involved in creating complex reports involving stored procedures with parameters.
- Optimized cubes by selecting appropriate methods, which include partitioning, time-based partitioning, cube groups and incremental updates.
- Tuned transformer models for faster cube builds and access times.
- Provided documentation to the end users and conducted training workshops.
Environment: Cognos 8.1(Framework Manager, Query Studio, Report Studio, Deployment Manager), Cognos 7.4, Oracle 9i, Windows NT/2000
Role: Cognos Developer Nov’03 – Sept’05
- Designed, Developed and Implemented an Enterprise Wide Reporting system using Cognos ReportNet.
- Imported metadata from various data sources into the Framework Manager.
- Used Framework Manager to build models, packages and publish packages to the ReportNet Server.
- Migrated metadata from Impromptu using the migration utility and mapped it to the corresponding metadata of ReportNet.
- Created calculations, filters, parameter maps and session parameters used by report authors.
- Configured ReportNet to use the Cognos Series 7 namespace to render Series 7 entries in Cognos Connection.
- Planned and Created professional reports in Report Studio and ad hoc reports in Query Studio.
- Maintained projects using CVS as the version control mechanism.
- Used Cognos Connection extensively to administer Reports as well as the ReportNet Server.
- Designed and Developed Multi-Dimensional Cubes and Cube groups using Power play also implemented incremental updates for power cubes.
- Creating Cognos cubes from SQL server database using Power Play Connect and making the cubes available for remote-access.
- Creating detailed reports in Power Play client for the Power user.
- Creating reports in Power Play client and publishing them to Cognos Upfront in windows and PDF formats for the end-users.
- Setup and administer the Cognos tools for development and production environment.
- Involved in development of user training material for the usage of Cognos products.
Environment: Cognos ReportNet 1.01/1.1, Cognos Impromptu 7.0, PowerPlay Transformer 7.0, Upfront, IWR 7.0, PPES 7.0, SQL Server and Windows 2000.