Architecture, design, development and management of data warehousing, business intelligence and advanced analytics solutions using leading BI and ETL technologies
- Seventeen years of experience in architecting, designing, developing and delivering Data Warehousing and data analytics solutions in clients across various industries.
- Excellent experience with customer facing, recruiting, mentoring and team building.
- Development, deployment, and administration of MicroStrategy BI tool (up to version 10.2), SAS EBI, Information Builder, Tableau and Informatica.
- Advanced data warehousing design experience including slow changing dimensions, variations of star and snowflake schema. Best practice experience in logical and physical data modeling, data governance, metadata management, design/development, performance tuning, security configuration, Mobile BI and data visualizations. Big data analytics experience in R, Hadoop and SAS.
- Gather and frame business requirements and decompose into system and functional design.
- Build proof - of-concept application for review/feedbacks and conduct BI/ETL tool assessment. A technical leader to work with business owners to resolve data issues and requirement scope.
TECHNICAL BACKGROUND AND COMPUTER LITERACY:
Data Warehousing/OLAP: MicroStrategy 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.2, SAS EBI, Actuate Reporting, IBL WebFOCUS.
ETL: Informatica Power Center, Teradata BTEQ, FastLoad, MultiLoad, SSIS.
RDBMS: Teradata, Oracle, DB2 UDB, SQL Server, Sybase ASE, My SQL, Netezza, Kognitio.
Scripting: PL/SQL, Stored Procedures, UNIX Shell Scripting, XML/XSL, Hadoop, Hive.
OS: Windows, SUN Solaris, Linux.
Others: ERwin, TOAD, DBArtisan, Teradata SQL Assistant.
BI Solution Architect & Project Manager
Confidential, Washington, DC
- As a technical manager to grow a team of 4 members to over 10 developers and delivered enterprise reporting and data visualization applications at the organization.
- Within 12 months, four enterprise projects were successfully deployed to life in production to support client's need in data visualization and advanced analytics.
- Worked directly with clients in framing business requirement, design review, developing, production deployment and application enhancement.
- Have built close relationship and established strong bonding with business stakeholders.
- Used MicroStrategy multisource capability to blend data from various data sources to provide required analytics in various subject areas.
- Intelligence Cubes and Visual Insight are recommended for users to meet their self-service and ad-hoc reporting purposes.
- Worked on TRB presentation, performance tuning, server sizing/capacity planning, security configuration and user training.
Confidential, Linthicum, MD
- Lead a team of 4 developers and architects to develop and deliver an Analytical and Reporting tool for CMS.
- The initial scope was to measure and monitor the quality of beneficiary diagnosis data submitted by service providers. Later it was expanded to include beneficiary risk scores, payment, pricing/bidding and cost data.
- Following full SDLC process, the projects were built from the ground up. It allows government agency identify data quality issues prior to data processing in production. It helps to provide insights on payment, enrollment, pricing and costs across demographical and plan attributes. The warehouse database is hosted in IBM mainframe z/OS with over several TB of diagnosis and Medicare data.
- Designed, developed and deployed the BI application. Analyzed and decomposed business requirements into functional design and system design documents to be approved by business owners. Coordinated with QA and ETL team to ensure reports and dashboards are delivered for each release schedule.
- Developed and integrated aggregate tables, tuned table indexes, designed Intelligent Cubes, OLAP Services and VLDB settings to improve query performance.
- Worked closely with business users and partners on dashboard design and development.
- The dashboards were rendered in both DHTML and Flash mode.
- Enhanced dashboards performance using Intelligent Cubes and OLAP Services.
- Developed custom-defined Flash widget as a plug-in to MicroStrategy dashboard reports using visualization SDK framework.
- Integrated report data with Adobe Flex Builder to generate customized visualizations and Rich Internet Application using Flash.
- Designed logical and physical data models using snowflake and star schema.
- Developed MicroStrategy attributes, facts, metrics and hierarchies.
- Developed reports using custom groups, consolidations and drill-maps.
- Created report builders to meet ad-hoc reporting requirement.
- Developed As-is and As-was attributes based on current and historical (Type-2 slow changing dimension) fact tables.
- Develop dashboards using MicroStrategy Transaction Services and database stored procedures.
- It serves as a UI for data entry (insert, edit, update and delete functions) and request approval.
- Used SAS EBI (Enterprise Business Intelligence) to develop queries and reports against IDR in Teradata database.
- Created SAS OLAP cubes, Information Maps and Stored Processes. Developed SAS Enterprise Guide Process Flow and email final results to users on schedules.
- Created SQL queries to perform data validation of dimension tables and fact tables in IDR against source tables in mainframe DB2 database.
- Used PROC SQL to perform post-query data manipulation and data validation.
Confidential, Melville, NY
- Worked on MicroStrategy upgrade from 7.5.3 to 8.0.2.
- Engaged in the Corporate Dashboard report design.
- Re-modeled and re-developed global data warehouse in MicroStrategy to meet higher scalability and performance requirements.
- In MicroStrategy architecture level, reengineered the application with the goal of zero-impact to existing users in terms of old functions and private application objects.
- Responsibilities also include MicroStrategy production support and administration, change management, Teradata development and troubleshooting, Narrowcaster development including dynamic subscription set.
- Metadata management using Object Manager, Scan MD and MD Doctor utility tools.
- Advanced report development with pass-through expressions, VLDB setting, custom group, and metric level setup.
- Worked on Teradata FastLoad and MultiLoad data loading utility tool.
- Conducted requirement analysis, data quality validation, data profiling, and LOE (level of efforts) estimation. Lead a 4-member BI development team.
- Provide best-practice development advice and guidance, which includes data modeling, report/metrics design, query performance troubleshooting and security management.
Confidential, New York, NY
- Responsibilities include gathering requirement and conducting user interviews, star/snowflake schema modeling, ETL design using Informatica and PL/SQL.
- Merged existing Hyperion Essbase and Cognos reports into new-implemented MicroStrategy system (7.5.3/8.0.2 ).
- Adopted Kimball's methodology of analyzing business process, grain, common dimensions and FACTs as the basis of data modeling design.
- Employed Type-2 slow changing dimension modeling for “As - Was” type of reporting requirements.
- As the data warehousing “Go To” person, answered high-level customer questions and provided directions for junior developers.
- Lead a 6-member MicroStrategy team and established report design standards.
- Product performance tuning includes back-end (CPU, Memory, and Disk I/O) and frond-end (SQL, concurrency, MicroStrategy).
- Database SQL troubleshooting using query execution plan, statistics collecting, index analysis (B-tree vs Bitmap index), database partitioning.
- BI development includes MicroStrategy architect design of attribute, fact and hierarchies.
- Advanced report development using custom group and consolidation, VLDB setting, drill map, Query Builder (8.0.2), enterprise dashboard reporting design.
- Data quality test and security setup. Report distribution through email, web subscription portal and file system using MicroStrategy Narrowcast services.
- Develop Oracle Real-time Warehouse Applications to Support EQ/FX/FI in a 2-Terabyte DW. Analyzed user requirements and business rules.
- Helped to establish transformation rules, mapping and workflow specifications.
- Developed and maintained ETL mappings using Informatica Designer 7.1 and PL/SQL to extract data from Sybase ASE 12.5, flat files and Excel spreadsheet into ODS and data warehouse.
- Converted PL/SQL and SAS ETL into Informatica ETL to streamline the ETL processes.
- Used ERWIN to design logical/physical data models, forward/reverse engineering.
Confidential, Vienna, VA
- MicroStrategy team lead to support Funding & Investment business.
- Primarily focused on prototyping, designing, and implementing MicroStrategy platforms based on DB2/UDB, Sybase and Oracle databases.
- Closely working with ETL (Datastage) developers on data modeling design and data validation testing.
- Thorough understanding of MicroStrategy technologies including in-depth experience with its SQL engine and SQL fine-tuning with VLDB properties.
- Acted as point of contact for high-critical production issues of clustered MicroStrategy Intelligence Server and Web Server.
- Thorough understanding and extensive experience of Object Manager, Command Manager, Project Merge and MicroStrategy/Narrowcast server log files.
- Customization and performance tuning for Enterprise Manager.
Confidential, Melville, NY
- MicroStrategy platform is a Reporting and Decision Support System for global sales and marketing. DSS includes Telesales and Fieldsales reporting across medical, dental and veterinary products.
- Particularly, Master Report Builders were created in MicroStrategy to provide full ad-hoc analysis for different types of sales forces, customers, and product/service lines.
- DSS system also provides historical trending analysis as compared to legacy system reporting.
- Responsibility includes Data Modeling, Development, Administration and Testing of Sales and Marketing project based on 800-GB DB2 UDB on IBM AS/400 system.
- Warehouse has 6-year transaction data of sales orders in medical, dental and veterinary products and services globally. Development involved star schema modeling, recursive hierarchies, transformation metrics, pass-through-based attributes and facts. Administration involved production support, Intelligence Server tuning up, VLDB setting,
- Database level performance tuning, MicroStrategy SQL analysis, requirement gathering, user support and issue follow-ups.
- Change management and migration from across DEV, QA and PROD environment using Object Manager.
- MicroStrategy upgrade from version 7.1.6 to 7.2.3, Enterprise Manager 7.2.3 implementation, Narrowcaster 7.5 installation and development.