- Seasoned tax professional with broad experience in many areas of tax. Specialize in sales and use tax, and property tax. Experience with 3 tax software implementations in which I was the business lead for 2. Adept in saving tax dollars by reducing and eliminating audit assessments, submitting refund claims and conducting research on key issues to ensure the correct tax is being charged to the customer and the correct tax is being paid or accrued on purchases from the vendor.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- SAP ( MM, SD, FICO, OTC)
- Sales Tax
- Tax Software Implantations
- Property Tax
- Project Management
- Canadian (GST, HST, PST)
- Tax Return Preparation (Compliance)
- Value Added Tax (VAT)
- Staff Management
- JSOX, SOX
- Payables & Receivables
- Manage sales and use tax functions for a leading pharmaceutical company with $12 billion in US sales.
- Manage monthly compliance needs with third party supplier.
- Conducted research and created tax matrices for AP and AR departments.
- Coordinated all sales and use tax functions for two new acquisitions.
- Successfully managed sales and use tax audits that resulted in no audit assessments.
- Educate various business units on the importance of sales and use tax.
- Answer ad hoc questions in regards to sales and use tax.
- Responsible for the monthly maintenance of Vertex updates.
- Daily usage of SAP to ensure transactions are being taxed correctly.
- Responsibilities included the sales and use tax compliance for 5 LLCs which involved the preparation of over 300 returns per month.
- Filed Canadian GST and QST returns.
- Managed the tax department’s remittance of over $1.6 million of sales tax per month.
- Successfully managed several state sales and use tax audits for various states that produced over $500,000 in refunds.
- Analyzed sales tax results to ensure we are charging the appropriate tax to our customers and paying the appropriate tax to our vendors.
- Supervised 4 employees in the tax department.
- Provided ad hoc analysis to senior management on tax issues for 29 manufacturing plants and warehouses located in 15 states.
- Prepared and managed annual budget for tax department.
- Business Lead for the implementation of Sabrix tax software for Confidential Products and Firestone Industrial Products.
- Prepared general ledger tax account reconciliations.
- Used SAP daily to book journal entries, prepare financial statements, research AP and AR transactions and various other tasks.
- Prepared and filed over 650 returns per year and remitted over $1.4 million in sales and use taxes annually in 75 state and local jurisdictions.
- Prepared and filed property tax returns for IN, VA, and TN.
- Prepared and filed income tax returns in several local jurisdictions across the United States.
- Implemented new tax filing strategies that generated savings of over $15,000 per year.
- Corresponded with customers and subcontractors to resolve any sales and use tax issues.
- Performed all fixed asset functions with FAS 1000.
- Performed job costing procedures.
- Filled all lien documentation including waiver.