- Entrepreneur and communications technology professional with more than 25 years’ experience in research and development environments with an emphasis on planning, leading, designing, and architecting communication, networking and operations systems and software. I have served as both a project manager and lead architect for many internal and external software and system architecture development groups. My area of expertise lies in architecting systems and solutions for service manageability and automation, operational and network management system interfaces, data modeling and protocols within communications and data networks. In addition, I have led and contributed to the development of network and service management standards within the SCTE, Confidential, CableLabs, TM Forum, IETF, ITU - T, Confidential and Linux Foundation’s Open Network Automation Platform (ONAP).
- I’ve launched three businesses to-date, including a business automation consulting firm for the communications industry, an e-commerce website focused on selling a niche brand, and a business-to-business Software-as-as-Service telecom software startup.
- My specialties include: Model Driven Design and Architecture, Service and Network Management Architecture and Design, Business Process Modeling, Software Defined Networking, Service Lifecycle Management, Network Management Protocols, Information and Data Modeling using UML, XML and XML Schemas, Carrier Ethernet Operations Administration & Maintenance, Service Manageability and Operations, Resource Management, BSS/OSS Architecture using TM Forum Frameworx, Confidential Lifecycle Service Orchestration Framework, MSO/Cable/Telco Back Office automation and OSS Interfaces (FCAPS/Telemetry), IPDR/SP, NETCONF, YANG, SNMP, MIBs, REST APIs.
Network Management Protocols: NETCONF, SNMPv1/v2c/v3, TL1, CLI, TFTP, DHCP, IPDR, RESTful API, RESTCONF
Information Modeling and Design: Unified Modeling Language (UML), MagicDraw UML, Eclipse Papyrus, TM Forum Information Model Framework (SID), Confidential Carrier Ethernet Information Model (CIM), CableLabs DOCSIS Information Model
Business Process Modeling: Business Process Model Notation (BPMN2), TM Forum Business Process Framework (eTOM)
Programming Languages and Development Tools: Java J2SE, C, C++, PERL, HTML, XML, Schema, Python, Java Client/Server/GUI, Embedded Real-TimeJava NetBeans, TogetherSoft, ObjecTime, Lab Windows, SNMP Test Tools & MIB Browsers, NETCONF and YANG development tools
Element Management Systems: Micromuse EMS, AdventNet WebNMS, OpenDaylight
Network and Service Management Systems: Cisco Network Services Orchestrator enabled by Tail-f, ONAP
Collaborative Project Management and Execution Tools: Atlassian Confluence Wiki/Jira Issue Tracking System, Redmine, Trello
Founder, Owner & Principal, Consultant
Confidential, Boulder, CO
- Software and System Architecture and Design
- Model Driven Design and Architecture
- Service and Service Lifecycle Management
- Network and Resource Management including Network Management Protocols
- Software Defined Networking
- Operations, Automation and BSS/OSS Architecture
- Business Process Modeling, Workflow Management and Automation
- Information Modeling and Design
- Interface and Data Modeling Design and Implementation
- API Definitions
- Element and Network Management Systems
- Service and Business Management Systems
- Communication Protocols, Standards and Specification Development
- Collaborative Project Management and Execution
- DOCSIS and Cable Network Management
Cable Technology Consultant
Confidential, Louisville, CO
- Lead the DOCSIS 3.1 and 4.0 Operational Support Systems Interface (OSSI) project team, including leading weekly conference calls, leading face-to-face meetings, and providing technical and architectural guidance and direction.
- Contributed text for inclusion in theCable Modem and Converged Cable Access Platform OSSI specifications, and organized the work of the rest of the team for the development of the specification.
- Developed and maintained a project plan for the development of the OSSI specification set.
- Developed WiFi Gateway Management U
- Redesigned the XML Schemas for the Cable Broadband
- ML Information Model and corresponding SNMP MIB.
- Lead MSO working group to operationalize Multicast IPTV including defining IPDR Service Definitions and SNMP MIBs to support Service and Accounting Management of Multicast IPTV services Intercept Specification (CBIS) to include support for MSO public WiFi services.
- Developed requirements for OpenDaylight Carrier Ethernet Resource Manager plugin information model
- Defined a requirements document for a network resource provisioning data model based on ITU-T's network resource model
- Developed a Confidential Lifecycle Service Orchestration engagement model centered on Product, Service and Resource entities for orchestrating Carrier Ethernet services with emphasis on resource provisioning.
Open Source Networking Telecommunications Consultant
Confidential, San Jose, CA
- Represented Confidential in the Open Orchestration open source project (A Linux Foundation project). Open-O enables telecommunications and cable operators to effectively deliver end-to-end services across Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) Infrastructure, as well as Software Defined Network (SDN) and legacy network services. Participated in the VNF SDK, Modeling and Architecture work groups in specifying hardware level attributes for VNFs.
- Participated in the Open-O Mercury Release, Open-O's second and final code release.
- Open-O was merged into Open Network Automation Platform (ONAP) in April 2017.
- Participated in ONAP’s first three software releases.
Co-founder, CTO and Neurodiversity Advocate
- Organized and led a two-day technical API strategy session focused on on-demand service delivery of key PCCW service offerings.
- Developed a technical proposal and strategy to enable PCCW more automation and API integration with their back office systems. This focused on various service lifecycle management phases along with process, information and interface (API) modeling for the identified phases.
Senior Consulting Engineer
- Participant in several Confidential working groups for Software Defined Networking, Computing and Storage for large Enterprises to support an open networking ecosystem in a multivendor environment.
- Technical contributor for several Confidential white papers and presentations.
- Working group participant in the following areas
- Software-Defined Wide Area Networks
- Network State Collection, Correlation and Analytics
- Common Tools for Automated Configuration and Change Management
- SDN Federation and Operability Orchestration
- Confidential Spring 2015 and Fall 2015 Conference speaker
- Technical Architect for Confidential 's IT Service Lifecycle Framework
Senior Consulting Engineer
Confidential, Annandale, NJ
- Providing Software Defined Networking, BSS/OSS, YANG and NETCONF solutions and to large Enterprises and Communication Service Providers.
- Providing network service configuration management solutions based on the Cisco NSO enabled by Tail-f framework.
- Pre-sales and new business development support
- Requirements analysis, design and architecture development
- Built a collaborative environment for team members and partners using the Atlassian Confluence collaboration platform.
BSS/OSS Architect Consultant
Confidential, Los Angeles, CA
- Provided technical leadership and service operations architecture for the Confidential Service Operations Committee to facilitate streamlining, automation and standardization of Confidential -defined services.
- Developed business processes, use cases, UML information models, YANG and SNMP data models and REST APIs for Carrier Ethernet Service Lifecycle automation including Product Catalog, Product Order, Service Configuration & Activation, Service Activation Testing, Problem Management, and Quality Management.
- Along with the committee co-chairs, launched the Confidential Service Operations Committee and oversaw the technical aspects of building a collaborative environment for Confidential Member companies using the Atlassian Confluence collaboration platform.
- Co-authored the first Confidential Service Operations Committee standard, Confidential 50, defining a product and service lifecycle process model for Confidential defined services.
- Worked with all Confidential Service Operations Committee project leads on progressing their projects through the Confidential standardization process while contributing technical content to the projects.
- Contributing to the Confidential ’s next generation vision and strategy for delivering agile, assured and orchestrated services for multi-operator connectivity.
- Worked with several industry leaders on positioning the Confidential as a software oriented organization, driving information modeling, data modeling, business process definitions and API specifications into many Confidential standards.
- Developed and presented lectures for Confidential members on software-based model driven design and architecture.
Confidential, San Francisco, CA
- Expert witness consultant for telecommunications litigation involving network and service management Intellectual Property.
- Gathered and synthesized technical information and Intellectual Property for the case.
Senior Architect, Business & Operational Support Systems
Confidential, Louisville, CO
- Developing architecture and solutions, through specification development, for interface definitions, information models and data models, for the Network Element Layer up through the Business and Service Management Layer for the cable industry.
- Lead cable operator and vendor focus teams in developing technology in the service and network management area for the cable industry.
- Lead and contributed to the development of the Operations Support System Interface Specification for the next generation Cable Modem Termination System architecture, based on the FCAPS TMN management model. This included an evolution to an XML-based configuration management model based on the IETF RFC 6241 NETCONF and RFC 6020 YANG standards. This project was named the Converged Cable Access Platform (CCAP).
- Lead the development of the Operations Support System Interface Specification requirements analysis for the DOCSIS Provisioning of EPON 2.0 project.
- Lead the development of the CableLabs’ Ethernet Service OAM Specification for Business Services and transitioned this specification into the Confidential which formed the basis of Confidential 7.1.
- Lead the development of the CableLabs’ Ethernet Service Activation Specification for Business Services and transitioned this specification into the Confidential which formed the basis of the Service Activation Testing Project.
- Participant in SCTE and IETF Energy Management standards development.
Technical Editor and Marketing Co-Chair
- Technical Editor of the Ethernet Service Activation Testing Confidential Specification currently under collaborative development where I lead a team of Service Providers and Vendors.
- As Co-Editor of the EMS-NMS Information Model Confidential 7.1 Specification, I led the development of the Service OAM UML Information Model development for Fault and Performance Monitoring which served as the catalyst to several follow on Confidential Specifications defining SNMP MIB and NETCONF YANG data models.
- Participated in the development of the Confidential Fault Management SOAM Specifications for defining Confidential use cases, requirements, and data models.
- Participated in the development of the Confidential Performance Monitoring SOAM Specifications for defining Confidential use cases, requirements and data models.
- Currently participating in the development of the next generation set of Confidential specifications focusing on Network Management of Confidential Services.
- Former member of the Confidential Operations, Administration and Maintenance Marketing working group where I assisted in launching new ideas/work/projects centered on management and operationalizing of Confidential services. This group was merged with the Management Market focus group.
- Championed the creation of and currently co-chair of the Confidential Management Market focus group to focus on Service Management of Confidential services and sharing of information models with other industry organizations such as TM Forum. The charter of this working group also includes addressing network management requirements, technologies and protocols for all Confidential specifications.
- Led the development of initial work for defining use cases for standardization of Resource Provisioning of Ethernet Services at the Network Layer.
Senior OSS Engineer
Confidential, Louisville, CO
- Lead architect for the development of DOCSIS 2.0, and 3.0 network management protocols, interfaces, Unified Modeling Language (UML) models, SNMP MIBs and XML Schemas.
- Lead and contributed to the development of the Operations Support System Interface Specification for the DOCSIS 3.0 protocol.
- Lead architect for the development of network management test plans for the of DOCSIS 3.0 head-end CMTS and Cable Model devices.
- Lead architect for the development of UML designs for the Information Model for Metro Ethernet Operations, Administration and Maintenance.
- Process champion for company-wide business process models, workflows and process improvements.
- Project manager for handling all changes to the maintenance and evolution of the DOCSIS and PacketCable family of specifications.
- CableLabs liaison to TeleManagement Forum for Cable-specific usage and evolution of the IPDR/SP protocol.
Senior Staff Software Engineer
Confidential, Boulder, CO
- Lead architect and project manager for the successful design, implementation, test and deployment of a 2nd generation Element Management System (EMS).
- Lead a team of offshore software developers.
- Presented customer demos and slide presentations to upper management.
- Developed a white paper in evolving network management strategies to new generation technologies including XML, SOAP and Web Services for the company’s network access devices and management applications.
- Interacted with cross-functional departments including Validation and Test, Customer Support, Marketing, and Documentation.
- Developed and enhanced a first generation Java-based Client/Server architected EMS for network management of telecommunications equipment.
- Company expert and focal point in Enterprise MIB authoring (SMIv1/SMIv2), network management protocols and interfaces, and software process definitions.
- Project manager for the development of SNMP Agent embedded software applications.
Senior Software Engineer
Confidential, Chandler, AZ
- Managed and contributed to the design, development, test and documentation of the IRIDIUM Portable Dock speakerphone product as the Software Project Lead.
- Performed work breakdown, scheduling, resource allocation and defect tracking for several projects.
- Contributed to the design and development of an IRIDIUM System Simulator used to test the air interface specification for the mobile handsets.
- Designed, documented and developed test scripts for testing GSM mobile phones (OSI layer 3).
- Maintained software for the IRIDIUM Earth Terminals.
- Completed Object Oriented analysis and design using the Unified Modeling Language (UML) on multiple projects.
- Followed the SEI CMM model for software processes.
- Assisted in the development and testing of an Echelon LonWorks wireless location identification system.