Sr. Mainframe Developer - to build and maintain software for healthcare, financial, or insurance-related systems, interface with end-users and management to obtain and refine requirements, to continue to expand my IT knowledge to stay abreast of emerging technologies, and finally to continue to expound the roles and benefits of the mainframe and its viability in the Cloud environment, whenever possible, to new IT professionals.
COBOL for MVS, COBOL II, HLASM, C/C++, CICS/TS, DB2, VSAM, IMS DB, Datacom DB, Datacom SQL, XML, QMF, SPUFI, Endevor, Expediter, APPTUNE, BMC, CONTROL-M, INTERTEST, TELON, TSO/ISPF, REXX, CLIST, Dialog Manager, LMF, z/OS, z/VSE, z/VM, FTP, Connect:Direct, LU6.2, IBM Data Studio, Remedy, Extra, Elite CMS, IBM PCOM, RMDS, OPC, Abend-Aid, Confidential, ENSCRIBE, MessageWay SharePoint, DataWatch, MS Office Suite - including VISIO and Project, IBM Rational Requisite Pro, CMMI Level II, Agile Development, SCRUM.
Sr. Mainframe Developer
- Luis’ role in IESS (Integrated Enterprise Support Systems), was to provide third-level Mainframe support for QA Testers and Developers for a host of Enterprise Applications. The environment was extremely dynamic, fluid, and delightfully challenging.
- Working in an Agile environment at Vanguard, performed the design and development, of COBOL programs and related multi-step job to capture Offshore User IDs and convert them, for insertion into a DB2 table. A DB2 Native SQL procedure was also developed to convert the User IDs dynamically via Front-End Java programs. Prepared all necessary documentation to migrate the package into production.
- Created and ran a multitude of DB2 Loads and Unloads to migrate tables from the SAT (System Acceptance Testing) region, to the IT (Integrated Testing) region.
- Developed masking process for SSN data coming from the production environment to the test environment, along with associated job.
- Enhanced the Grant processes to support Archive and Accelerator Only DB2 tables.
- Wrote many REXX EXECs and CLISTs to automate and facilitate various processes for the IESS team.
- Modified many jobs to support email delivery to our Offshore Partners. Although the change was repetitive, it required great attention to detail, so as not to impact current production processes.
- Provided Assembler coding assistance to the PCoE (Production Control) Team, with an Assembly Language module used to interface with Lotus Notes, after Vanguard went to Outlook.
- Prepared materials for Peer Reviews of all coding changes. During Luis’ tenure, all the complex COBOL and Assembler coding changes were assigned to him, starting with the Native DB2 Stored Procedure, noted above.
Sr. Mainframe Developer
- Design and development, production support and control, and job scheduling of a CICS/DB2 interface with xPression from CARES (a Maryland State Healthcare system). The interface, developed to supplant CICS Transaction Gateway (CTG) saved Confidential and initial $67K and subsequent $15K/year in licensing of CTG from IBM. The interface was designed to allow xPression users to sign into the CARES CICS system from xPression, authenticating their RACF ID. In conjunction with the interface, developed highly complex XML generators to provide daily feeds to xPression from CARES.
- Design and development, production support and control, and job scheduling of CARES.
- Design and development of a complex interface between the Child Support Enforcement System (CSES) and the new Health Insurance Exchange (HIX) mandated by the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The design and development came in ahead of schedule and under budget.
- Developed numerous, complex, Adhoc Queries to support District Office Case Managers.
- Provided analysis papers, Time & Cost analysis, and technical design documentation for CMMI Level II compliance.
- Provided support during System Testing, User Acceptance testing and On-Call support (on a rotating basis).
- Provided training and mentorship for junior team members.
- Duties included Application design and development, production: support, control, and job scheduling. Development and maintenance of COBOL DB2 Batch software. Conversion and unit testing of COBOL VSAM-based batch modules to COBOL DB2-based.
- Consistently ahead of schedule and under budget with all assigned tasks.
- Developed three new processes in COBOL for MVS/DB2 to replace the existing Federal Case Registry (FCR)-related components, which was written in COBOL II/VSAM. The development was ahead of schedule and under budget.
- Provided maintenance support for numerous modules, jobs, and procedures.
- Created numerous Change Request Analyses (CRAs) for the Management Information Central Repository System (MICRS) and FPLS teams.
- System tested several changes and moved them to the Validation environment for integration testing by the Validation group (SRA International).
- Additionally, took over production reporting to management when a full-time employee took an extended vacation overseas.
- Development and maintenance of DB2 Batch and CICS software for the Office of Application and Supplemental Income Systems (OASIS). Conversion and unit testing of High-Level Assembler batch modules to COBOL for z/OS. Consistently ahead of schedule and under budget with all assigned tasks.
- Provided maintenance support for numerous modules. Performed in-depth analysis for Appeals, Workload Management (WMI) and (SUMS IC) Information subsystems.
- Provided User-Centered Design support for the Registration of Most Everyone (ROME) project team within Confidential . This included derivation of business processes, analyzing user needs, assisting in requirements definition, designing browser-based interfaces, and designing and conduct usability testing.
- Directly participated in Interaction/Interface design experience, which included User-Centered Methods and User Analysis.
- Facilitated deriving user needs and business requirements during SCRUM sessions, where Luis elicited business goals and user needs, created Personas and Scenarios of Use, and created and refined screen prototypes.
- Designed and conducted formative and summative usability tests in both formal and informal settings. Documented user requirements, screen designs, and design recommendations, and Requirements Definition processes.
- Provided incoming team members with a thorough overview of ROME/RCS, and UCD.
- Supporting the Office of Application and Supplemental Income Systems (OASIS), designed, and developed EXCEL spreadsheets to properly catalog macro usage across six systems, for estimating project scope.
- Performed analysis and decomposition of High-Level Assembler macro functionality, which provided other developers the information required to substitute the macros from Assembler into other languages as needed.
- Recommended conversion language and method to management.
- Modified CICS screens and programs and related applications, which enabled end-users ( corporate and field offices) to permit persons with disabilities to perform identical functions as persons without disabilities - US Section 508 - Accessibility for Persons with Disabilities.
- Supported the Office of Retirement and Survivors Insurance Systems (ORSIS), concurrently, Luis developed and rewrote complex Functional Requirements (FRs) to support the conversion of the Debt Management System (DMS) to conform to Section 508.
- Mentored new team members.
- Went above and beyond delivering a management summary, to Confidential, which provided a complete picture of the engagement’s deliverables, enabling many departments to save time and resources.
- Developed specifications for complex business requirements and processes (new, enhancements, and maintenance).
- Developed and maintained software for a complex full-cycle mortgage processing sub-system.
- Led and participated in data modeling, simulations, peer reviews, and analysis efforts.
- Verified program logic by preparing test data for trial runs, tests and debugging programs. Participated in the overall systems testing.
- Supported several weekend-long implementations of the application into production.
- Performed analysis, which facilitated the development of Software Requirement Specifications (SRS) and Software Design Specifications (SDS) by the Technical Lead. All of the efforts above assisted Confidential with the implementation of new, time-critical, government-mandated, software enhancements. Confidential ’s Home Loans Division repaid 15B in bailouts (that were not requested) and made an enormous profit in that fiscal year.
Sr. Mainframe Platforms Specialist
- Defined, developed, documented, tested, and maintained COBOL for z/OS, High-Level Assembler, and C++ programs, REXX and z/OS JCL procedures required for the migration of software from the LAN development environment to z/OS, VSE, and IMS environments.
- Performed development and maintenance of platform-specific programs and Open Systems products using Starteam.
- Developed, tested, maintained, and optimized product fulfillment procedures for use by Fulfillment.
- Maintained and upgraded the INTRANET and INTERNET sites with the most current release of Open Systems products.
- Developed and maintained a Software Build and Promote Subsystem utilizing COBOL, Assembler, FTP, JCL, Dialog Manager, REXX, and ISPF. The Group 1's - Library Management System (LMS) was based on IBM's proprietary Library Management Facility (LMF) and then (due to the obsolescence of LMF) migrated and rewrote under SCLM. Designed and built a product build system which transferred software from PVCS (later Starteam) from the LAN via FTP and built complete Mainframe ready products. The process culminated by running installation verification procedures (IVPs) and packaging the software with installation and sample JCL/scripts for fulfillment via the corporate internet site.
- Designed, developed, and conducted a series of mainframe-related classes, where the target audience was in-house associates.
- Maintained Legacy Assembler applications. Provided third level customer support and internal technical support company-wide.
- Provided operational installation documentation for mainframe-centric products. Instrumental in the acquisition, migration, and implementation of Group 1's first R390 computer to facilitate development, fulfillment, and product builds.
- Developed macros for use by Remedy and Microsoft Word to produce elegant reports to be used at daily Off-line Problem Management meetings.
- Worked around the clock to ensure that communications were running smoothly.
- Performed root-cause analysis and resolution of production problems involving BI-Synchronous and Asynchronous communications.
- Resolved issues surrounding Sterling Software's Connect Direct product and other communications issues. Determined the need for, contracted and planned a training course for in-house employees for IMPACT Immedia's MessageWay product (a messaging subsystem running in a Pathway environment).
- Developed Confidential queries and reports against MessageWay's ENSCRIBE database and a metrics collection and analysis subsystem on Tandem, with C++, accessing ENSCRIBE database, which, after analysis, were used to enhance and improved transmissions of the in-house communications facility (MTF).
- Produced a System Architecture VISIO diagram that was utilized at various levels within the organization, which facilitated interactions among Confidential staff and management and coordinated the development and implementation of a Mid-West clone of the existing MessageWay application on the east coast.