Results - driven IT professional and degreed accountant, with IT applications experience in health insurance, life insurance, and oil & gas industries. Over 25 years of hands-on experience with all stages of system development efforts, including requirements, analysis, design, testing, implementation, and support. Project leader experience and individual performer experience, with a record of performing both roles simultaneously in fast-paced multitasking environments.
- Insurance - Health Claims Processing, Policy Issue, Agent Commissions & Advances
- Oil & Gas - accounting systems
- Mainframe COBOL environment
- Coding, Testing, Documentation
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Ability to Innovate
Programming: Mainframe COBOL II, CICS, JCL, Easytrieve, VSAM, IDCAMS, SYNCSORT
Some experience with: Assembler and with SQL Server
Systems: IBM OS/MVS/XA, VSE/ESA
Tools: TSO/ISPF, Condor, File-Aid, Abend-Aid, CA7/CA11, Intertest, Expeditor, Endeavor
Confidential, McKinney, TX
- Called upon for special projects in a fast-paced multitasking environment.
- Gained exposure to a wide variety of mainframe application areas throughout the firm.
- Developed effective working relationships with users throughout the firm, from clerks to upper management.
- Frequently consulted by my peers for complex application issues requiring subject matter expertise.
- As project leader and lead programmer for a new Health Claims System, successfully spearheaded the effort to replace a manual process with a completely automated mainframe COBOL/CICS system for payment of claims on Hospital/Surgical plans for the under-65 market.
- Familiar with UB and 1500 claim forms, plus Diagnosis Codes (ICD-9), CPT Codes, Revenue Codes and other data which controls the payment of claims.
- Used EDI 837 transactions to reprice claims with various provider networks.
- Designed and implemented Other Coverage Lookup processing on front end of claims system.
- Medicare Part D team player. Designed custom pharmacy listings based on GPS coordinates.
- Designed and installed a new Agent Persistency Reporting System for use by Sales Administration.
- Redesigned the massive commission rate file and all associated processing, reducing file size by 99%, shortening the load process from several hours to 10 minutes, and eliminating thousands of lines of hardcoding. Project was self-initiated and done on my own time while fulfilling existing responsibilities.
- Known by many users and peers as the subject matter expert for Policy Issue system online problem solving when agent hierarchy errors or commission rates were involved.
Confidential, Plano, TX
- Gained valuable exposure to mainframe applications in the life insurance industry, the banking industry, plus further exposure to the oil & gas industry.
- Consistently rated by managers as Exceeding Expectations.
- When assigned to a new production support position, made runtime improvements which shortened the nightly cycle from over 4 hours to under 2 hours, and reduced average monthly abends from over 20 down to single digits.
- In the banking industry, supported a nationwide system serving over 600 credit unions, running in 9 online regions simultaneously.
- Gained experience with highly structured testing and production release cycles.
- In the oil & gas industry was a team member for the conversion of mainframe systems to a new PC-based Excalibur Oil & Gas application.
- Extracted mainframe data. Used Uniquery for ad-hoc reporting out of Excalibur (UNIX/NOVELL environment).
Confidential, Plano, TX
Vice President, Administration
- Managed hands-on all the accounting and IT functions for this small corporation, including general ledger, financials, billing, accounts payable, payroll, and tax reporting
- Used mbpCOBOL on an early IBM PC to program a new Accounts Receivable & Billing system
Confidential, Dallas, TX
Sr. Systems Accountant
- Progressed from Jr. Accountant to Sr. Systems Accountant while performing a variety of functions in the Corporate Accounting and International Accounting sections.
- Served as Accounting Dept liaison to IT during the MSA General Ledger conversion.
- Managed the transition of foreign subsidiary accounting systems off the mainframe onto a minicomputer, following the Confidential Oil buyout of Confidential