Expertise - Network Hardware: Cisco 3750 series, Metro-Ethernet, and 65xx series chassis switches. Cisco VPN Concentrator, Cisco 1800 and 3845 series routers. Cisco Wireless technology including Wireless LAN Controllers, wireless location appliance and thin 802.11 a/b/g/n AP’s. Dell/Force10 E-series, S-series, Z-series and N-series switches. Dell PowerConnect switching and routing. Foundry/Brocade Super-X chassis switches. Juniper WXC WAN Accelerator. 1/10/40 Gbps Ethernet transceivers (GBIC, Xenpak, SFP, SFP+, QSFP). Fiber Optic cabling. OTDR testing.
Expertise-Security Hardware/Software: Checkpoint FW-1 in High Availability configuration. Secure Platform. Checkpoint site-to-site and client-to-site VPN. Steel Belted RADIUS. 802.1X access control. AES encryption. Palo Alto Networks firewall. Juniper VPN gateway. Sonicwall, Watchguard, Pfsense.
Expertise-Telephony: Avaya Aura PBX. Avaya VoIP phones.
Expertise-infrastructure software: Infoblox DNS/DHCP/IPAM appliances. Incognito DNS and DHCP software. BIND DNS and DHCP server software. PfSense, Splunk, What’s Up Gold, Cisco Wireless Control Server, Avaya Site Administrator, Wireshark, NI Observer. Kiwicattools, AppNeta Pathview and Visio. Plixer Scrutinizer Infoblox NetMRI. Windows Server. Mac OS server. Linux. Microsoft Network Load balancing.
Expertise-protocols: Ethernet, TCP/IP, OSPF, RIP, STP, PVST+, MSTP, LLDP, DNS, DDNS, DHCP, LACP, MLAG, IPSec, LWAP, 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, SSL VPN, IP Multicast, IPv6, 802.1Q VLAN, VRRP, PoE, CDP, NAT/PAT, HTTP, SNMP v1/2/3, SMTP, FTP.
Expertise-scripting/programming: Python programming for Network Engineers.
- Network Redesign for local government organization.
- Installed and configured PfSense firewalls/VPN gateway for security, monitoring, QoS, Load balancing and improved circuit utilization.
- Inside/Outside cable plant design and build for housing development.
- Administer Cisco/Meraki switches.
Network Design Engineer
- Designed mobile network for large non-profit’s mobile ERP solution.
- Developed test criteria for mobile cellular network equipment and executed testing.
- Performed field installations of Cradlepoint cellular network gateways.
- Troubleshoot WAN/DHCP, Administer Confidential wireless network
Network Planning Engineer
- Developed and executed highly detailed Data Center Network upgrades for Dell Networking customers.
- Completed systems discovery as part of upgrade planning.
- Highly detailed cable planning, IP address accounting and power budgets.
- Built multi-vendor integrated systems for Fortune 100 customers.
- Designed and installed Equalogic and Compellent iSCSI SAN’s as per best practices.
- Sonicwall Firewall configuration.
- Dell M1000e blade server chassis installation and integration.
- Built prototype private cloud platform based on BGP, IPv4 and IPv6 for Dell/Microsoft.
- Cloud hardware solutions for Vmware, Hyper-V, Xen.
- Performed IT Assessments and produced as-built design documents.
Confidential, Bar Harbor, ME
- Designed and implemented remote site connectivity, with remote administration support. Included out-of-band remote access in the event the network goes down.
- Designed and implemented network upgrade; deployed gigabit to the desktop with PoE, 10Gb uplinks to redundant core. Installed collapsed datacenter network with support for line rate 1 and 10Gbps connectivity to any servers.
- Migrated DNS/DHCP services to Infoblox cluster. Implemented IPAM. Managed complex DHCP configuration including IP Phone provisioning, Wireless AP provisioning, thin client netboot architecture
- Developed “health of the network” reports for upper management. Updated CIO monthly. Achieved 99.99% availability of core and data center networks.
- Administered Checkpoint FW/VPN, including NAT/PAT, site-to-site VPN and routing.
- Installed Juniper WAN accelerators to improve performance to remote office and provide LAN like performance across a WAN. Extensive performance testing with/without WAN acceleration.
- Managed complete network redesign with new IP address scheme following best practices and supporting complex business requirements.
- Detected and corrected issues before they had an impact. Performed rapid detection and proactive troubleshooting of LAN, WAN, DNS, DHCP and wireless issues using combination of Splunk, Nagios, What’s Up Gold, Kiwi Cattools, Appneta Pathview, Network Instruments Observer and Cisco Wireless Control Server.
- Adept at troubleshooting low grade performance issues, such as latency variance and low grade packet loss that affect applications but don't causing a full outage.
- Performance testing of WAN links to measure the effectiveness of new WAN acceleration.
- Developed network tracking tool that would collect ARP and Bridge tables and correlate them to determine where devices were connected to the network.
- Lead engineer on CIO’s team to build very high performance Internet link to support sharing of large research data sets. Activities included: research, vendor negotiations, and development of UMaine partnership. Partnership acquired private dark fiber link that provided virtually infinite bandwidth to major research POP in Cambridge, MA.
- Technical lead for PBX upgrade project. Deployed new Avaya PBX and VoIP phones. Oversaw requirements definition, cost management, vendor relationships and consultant work.
- Installed enterprise wireless network. Developed requirements, bid out project, supervised design consultants, deployed and configured new system.
- Wireless network grew to 350 wireless access points and 8 wireless LAN Controllers in several locations.
- Designed, built and coordinated network changes for remote site move without interruption.
- Reviewed telephone and data service contracts and negotiated for savings on phone charges. Designed for maximum flexibility with lowest cost.
- Completed top to bottom evaluation and redesign of network architecture, including LAN, WAN, Addressing scheme, VLAN layout, security partitions, redundancy and high availability.
- Supervised design and execution of new construction or improvements to 30+ telecom closets.
- Supervised project to upgrade campus fiber plant for high performance networking >10Gbps.
- Negotiated with Vendors. Managed contracts and budgets