- Partner Program Experience: 20 years experience in design, development and leadership for Sun's Catalyst, iForce and Sun Partner Advantage partner programs. This included channel partners, ISVs, IHVs, Startups, System Integrators and VARs globally. Managed global systems responsible for delivering over $7 billion in partner revenue to Sun.
- Management Experience: 10+ years experience managing engineering teams of up to 35 people including managers and individual contributors both technical and non-technical.
- Delivery Experience: 10+ years of on schedule and on budget delivery record for Sun's partner program production releases.
- Change Leadership Experience: Managed the same team through 7 layoffs, 8 managers, 2 organizations and over $1.1M in budget cuts over 8 years while still delivering on all schedules for the business. Not a single team member quit my team during this period of reduction.
- Organization Consolidation Experience: Consolidated 20+ separate engineers efforts throughout Sun's Sales & Marketing organizations into 1 partner engineering team resulting in budget savings, organizational focus and increased efficiencies.
- Financial Experience: Managed budgets up to $2.5M annually for contractors and vendors, $1M annually for capital equipment and $3.5M annually in employee expenses.
- International Experience:
- Management: Direct reports and colleagues located in India, Russia, UK, US and Brazil. Managed global team including all scheduling, resource allocation, management, training, deployment and support for partner systems.
- Web Content: Core Sun Partner Advantage partner program web pages translated into US English, UK English, Spanish, German, French, Brazilian Portuguese, Mandarin Chinese and Simplified Chinese. Contracts and partner agreements translated into all languages Sun Microsystems conducted business in (25+ languages).
- Training and Documentation: Provided training and user documentation for each release of the Sun partner program tools to be used to train the 50+ call center agents located in the Americas, APAC and EMEA. As needed, engineers were also provided for onsite call center agent training.
- Support Experience: All partner systems had to be available global 24x7. Provided first and second level support for distributed, complex, enterprise level systems.
- Technology Experience:
- Managed projects using Java, Solaris, Linux, SunONE Application/Web/Portal servers, LifeRay portal, CVS, Keynote monitoring tools and WinRunner/LoadRunner & Silk QA automation tools.
- Day to day experience with Project, Office suite, iWork suite, Firefox/Internet Explorer/Chrome web browsers, MacOS & Windows OS and Android & iOS mobile devices.
Confidential, June 2010 - Present
- Extensive travel through out the USA and Canada.
Confidential, February 2010 - May 2010 Sr. Engineering Manager
- Migrated the Sun Partner Advantage partner program systems into the Oracle Partner Network systems.
- Managerial responsibilities including project prioritization, resource allocation, budget management, staff meetings, reporting status to upper management, setting individual & team goals, focal reviews, career development, conflict resolution, 1-on-1 meetings with direct staff, hiring, and reduction in force decisions.
Confidential, December 1999 - January 2010 Sr. Engineering Manager
- Worked closely with Sr. Director and VP level management on the business side to prioritize, define, implement and deliver the Sun Partner Advantage partner program for channel partners and ISVs partner systems and subsequent quarterly development releases. The systems included:
- Global Channel Partner portal with Channel Partner Membership Engine
- Global ISV portal
- Global Customer Care Center portal
- Global Reporting portal
- Global Channel Partner Training Certification system
- Sun Partner Advantage Partner Directory for 20,000+ partners
- Managed technology changes for the core system from hardcopy to Perl to Java to a Portal based system using both Sun technologies (SunONE stack) and open source technologies including the Liferay portal.
- Provided 24x7x365 day support globally for systems.
- Managed $2.5M annual budget including external vendors providing engineers.
- Managed team of up to 35 technical and non-technical staff members including local and remote employees and contractors across multiple time zones including the roles of Project Managers, Java Developers, Database Developers, Web Developers, System Administrators, Quality Assurance Testers and User Experience Designers.
- Managerial responsibilities including project prioritization, resource allocation, budget management, staff meetings, reporting status to upper management, setting individual & team goals, focal reviews, career development, training, conflict resolution, 1-on-1 meetings with direct staff, hiring, and reduction in force decisions.
Independent Consultant August 1998 - November 1999
- Sybase: Create a series of Adobe Flash presentations for use at tradeshows.
- Broadcast.com/Yahoo!: Webcast of New Year's Eve from Fremont Street in Las Vegas.
- Sun Microsystems: Webcast the Sun Microsystems' sponsored 'Fillmore Sessions' concert series from The Fillmore in San Francisco.
Confidential, July 1994 - July 1998 Engineering Manager, New Media Marketing
- Managed New Media Engineering for CD-ROM Programs including Sun Solutions disc.
- Managed 6 Engineers, Multiple Third Parties, and New Media Lab.
- Created and Managed Chats for Sun Products and Celebrity Chats
- Managed Development of 1st Disneyland and Disney Channel web sites
- Started 'Mark and Marc Interviews…' with Web VIPs for Sun.com home page
- Guest Speaker at UCLA Film School's Graduate Program's New Media Seminar
- Managed New Media activities at the following events:
- 1995 Lollapalooza - Shoreline Amphitheater - Mountain View, CA
- 1996 US Open of Surfing and Bud Surf Tour
- Sun Microsystems & House of Blues Java Joint - 1996 Summer Olympics - Atlanta, GA
- Sun Microsystems and Democratic National Convention - August 1996 - Chicago, IL
- Millennium Evenings at the White House - 1998
- Initiated and managed New Media relationships for Sun with Addicted to Noise, American Pavilion/Cannes Film Festival, American Recordings/Warner Music Group, Capitol Records, House of Blues, IUMA, KICU - Channel 36, Mandalay Films, MTV Networks, New Line Cinema/Fine Line Features, Pollstar, Progressive Networks, Sony Music (Columbia/Epic/Sony), Ticketmaster, William Morris Agency, Yahoo
Confidential, June 1993 - June 1994 Engineering Manager, CD-ROM Programs
- Managed 4 staff engineers for the CD Programs projects and an annual budget of $500K.
- Moved CD-ROM interface from proprietary interface to web browser interface.
- Managed 1st port of Java to non-Solaris SPARC platform (SunOS and Solaris x86).
- Moved CD-based Sun ISV Catalog to the Web.
Confidential, August 1990 - May 1993 Lead Engineer, CD-ROM Programs
Confidential, July 1989 July 1990 Software Engineer
- Specified, designed, scheduled and implemented the migration of Windows based CD-ROM publishing utilities suite to the Sun SPARCstation 1 running SunOS.
Confidential, June 1988 - June 1989 Software Engineer
- Member of team of two writing a removable fixed disk device driver for SCO Xenix 286/386.
Confidential, September 1983 - May 1988 Associate Software Engineer
- Developed compiled BASIC (CBASIC) and dBase programs for retail businesses.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science Concentration in Microcomputer Systems and Management Applications
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT COURSES
- High Tech Product Management & Product Marketing
- Sun Manager Training
- Managing within the Law
- Negotiating Skills Workshop
- Time Management and Personal Leadership
- Business Communications in Europe
- Business Communications with the Japanese
- Communicating Across Cultures
- Visualization of Scientific Information