- Over 13+ years of hands on experience in managing databases on Oracle 8i/9i/10g/11g/12c versions - Software installations, Patching, Upgradations, RMAN backups, Performance Tuning, Disaster Recovery, DB migrations, Database creations, Automation through shell scripting, Troubleshooting etc.
- Hands on Oracle 12c Multi-tenant architecture databases - Container and Pluggable databases.
- Monitoring and administering ORACLE RAC databases on oracle 11g/12c RAC Clusters.
- Designed and developed plans to achieve high availability, scalability, recoverability of the databases.
- Proficient in applying various patches including One-off patches, PSU, Bundle patches and Release Update (RU) and Patch Sets on stand alone/RAC database homes and GI home binaries.
- Performance Tuning - Tuned various large critical OLAP and OLTP databases and SQL queries using various tools like STATSPACK, AWR, SQLTrace, TKROF, ADDM and Explain Plan etc.
- Expertise in Database Backup and Recovery concepts using RMAN utilities - Refreshed development and test databases from the copy of production databases through active cloning, Restored and recoverd databases from tape backups, disk backups in a temporary databases.
- Hands-on experience in oracle RAC Clusterware/Grid infrastructure administration,configuration and Patching, RAC Backup and Recovery.
- Performed complete database reorganization to defragment the very big tables and indexes in one of the very large database - Released approximately 1TB free space in the file system level and performance of few SQL queries was improved.
- Migrated databases to Super cluster and upgraded it to 12c version; Also, migrated very big databases to Super cluster (Linux to Solaris) using Transportable tablespace (TTS) feature.
- Scheduled UNIX shell script in the critical production databases to generate long-running SQL query details and send it to DBA team group for further analysis.
- Hands-on experience in LOGICAL BACKUPS using EXPDP/IMPDP and EXP/IMP tools.
- Expertise in upgrading databases to latest versions - Different versions of Oracle 9i to Oracle 10g, oracle 10g to oracle 11g, oracle 11g to 12c, Oracle 9i to Oracle 11g etc.
- Designed and implemented Backup mechanism(Weekly once FULL backup, and daily INCREMENTAL backup and ARCHIVELOG backup when file system reaches 80% utilization) with UNIX shell scripts.
- Hands-on experience on migrating databases to ASM storage from tradional file systems. Also, migrated very large databases to BIGFILE tablespaces.
- Performed SWITCHOVER exercise in oracle 2-node RAC databases to reduce downtime on critical databases during OS patching.
- Extensive experience in Dataguard configuration, implementing and maintaining standby databases.
- Experience in configuring and implementing ASM and proficiency in using ASMCMD and ASMLIB tools. Also extensively used SRVCTL and CRSCTL utilities to manage RAC databases.
- Created UNIX shell scripts for automation of schema refreshes, pre and post tasks of database refreshes, database monitoring, daily schema backups, pre and post database outage taks etc.
- Good exposure on Oracle GoldenGate Architecture components. Implemented bi-directionalmirroring for one of the business critical application.
- Exposure on Enterprise Password vault (EPV) which will be used to store all the databases schemas password with appropriate securily. Also used Right Answers utility to create,maintain technical documents in most organized manner.
- Excellent Communication skills, co-ordination and communication with system administrators, business data analysts and development teams.
- Quick learner with ability to develop proficiency and adapt to new technologies and methods in a short period of time.
Databases & Related: Oracle 12c/11g/10g/9i/8i Oracle 11g RAC, Oracle 12c Real Application Cluster
Technologies/Utilities: (RAC), ASM, ASM FD,RMAN, EXP/EXPDP, SQLLDR, Active Data GuardDataguard Broker (DGMGRL), TKPROF, STATSPACK,AWR, SQLTXPLAINSQL Trace,Oracle Golden Gate,ADDM, TOAD tool, CRSCTL,SRVCTL,OUISuper cluster, Exadata,Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM)
HP: UX, Sun Solaris, Red Hat Linux and Windows
Languages: SQL, PL/SQL, C, C++, Java, HTML, UNIX Shell Scripting
- Installation and configuration of multi - node Oracle Real Application Cluster 12cR2 (RAC) databases for development,test,stage and production environments on Linux.
- Responsible for applying security patches on business critical application databases every quarter as soon as they are released.
- Upgraded various databases versions from 9i,10g,11g to 12c & Grid Infrastructure from 11g to 12c.
- Applied patches in Oracle RAC databases in rolling manner to avoid critical databases outage, thus eliminating business impact while we patch our RDBMS and GI home binaries.
- Create and/or, refresh development/test databases from production database using either RMAN duplicate or restoring from backups or loading tables/schema using Data Pump utilities (expdp/impdp).
- Install Oracle agent binaries on database servers and configured production database targets appropriately in OEM to get it monitored by Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM).
- Setup and configure Oracle 11g/12c Physical standby databases (Data Guard) to ensure high availability, where the standby database was used for disaster recovery as well as to offload theread-only workloads (running of huge reports).
- Assisted application developers in creating database objects like Stored procedures, Triggers, Functions, Cursors and Packages etc. Supported development teams for moving changes to different development, test environments and move changes to the live production environment.
- Performed database point-in-time recovery from tape database backups in order to get the table(s) that were mistakenly deleted by application teams.
- Enabled Extended Datatype feature (oracle 12c feature) in the databases which enables application teams to store maximum size of 32767 bytes for the VARCHAR2, NVARCHAR2, and RAW data types.
- Oracle RAC Node-evictions - Reviewed the log files/trace files and identify the issue and work with relevant teams (UNIX,NETWORK and STORAGE teams) to fix the issues.
- Installation of oracle components like Oracle OLAP, XML-DB, Oracle context etc as per the requirements from application.
- Backup and Recovery - Designed and implemented backup and recovery strategies using RMAN backups. Scheduled UNIX shell script for FULL database backup (once in a week), INCREMENTAL backup (daily) and archivelog backup when archive log file system reaches 80% utilization.
- Performance Tuning - Proactive - Identify and tune poorly performed SQL queries using EXPLAIN PLAN, SQLTXPLAIN, SQL Trace, AWR, ADDM, STATSPACK, TKPROF tools.
- Performance Tuning - Reactive - Work with application team and get the details of poorly performing SQL query, verify, tune the query using SQL plan base lines, SQL profiles, indexes, hints, ADDM, Automatic SQL tuning etc.
- Applied one-off /interim patches (Only when oracle support team suggest us) to fix the known bugs in the databases. These patches are also applied in rolling manner in oracle RAC databases.
- Implemented shell scripts and scheduled to automate daily backups of few critical schemas; Also, automated schema refreshes in some databases as per the application teams request.
- Monitor and report Database server performance issues by identifying CPU, memory, I/O bottlenecks in the server.
- Installation of Trace File Analyzer (TFA) utility and configured oswatcher,procwatcher tools in the database servers which enables us to troubleshoot and fix the critical issues.
- Available 24x7 for production database maintenance activities and on-call support for critical business application databases when required.
Environment: Oracle11g/12c, RedHat Linux,SunSolarix,Kornshell,GRID INFRASTRUCTURE 22.214.171.124,126.96.36.199,, RMAN, RAC and Active Data Guard, Explain Plan, Oracle Support, Data Pump, Toad, AWR, Exadata,Sql *Loader, Super cluster Exadata Half Rack, Enterprise password vault(EPV), Right Answers, OEM, TKPROF,SQL*trace, SQLTXPLAIN,ADDM.
Sr Oracle DBA
- Supported 24x7 mission critical applications running on Oracle 9i/10g/11gR1 for Standalone and RAC databases on ASM storage.
- Worked with relevant teams (UNIX,NETWORK and STORAGE) and created 4 - node oracle RAC databases on Dev/Test/Stage/Production boxes and migrated data from old legacy system to new systems.
- Installed oracle 11G binaries in the newly built systems and applied latest patch set on top of oracle base software. Migrated the database to new system and then upgraded the database to 11g using manual upgrade steps.
- OEM Agent installation on stand alone/RAC database servers, discover the targets in OEM and enable OEM monitoring for production database targets.
- Performed oracle 11g full client installations on Linux/sunsolarix/windows production boxes for client application database connection.
- Configured standby databases for high availability, data protection and disaster recovery for business critical databases.
- Performed table(s)/schema/database refresh in Dev/Test databases from the copy of the production database using RMAN and data pump utilities expdp/impdp.
- Worked with UNIX teams, SAN storage admins for the configuration of ASM disks and ASM Diskgroups.
- Intensively used Automatic Workload Repository (AWR) and Automatic Database Diagnostic Monitoring (ADDM) reports for health check of the databases.
- Performed capacity planning, space monitoring like tablespace growth using the scripts and from the AWR historical data. Also, Monitor the CPU usage, memory usage, I/O contention on servers using top, iostat, sar, glance, vmstat, etc.
- Up-graded databases to Oracle 11gR1 from oracle 9i and Oracle 10g versions.
- Applied Bug fix patches (one off patches), CPU patches, patchsets on top of GI and RDBMS binaries using OPatch utility and OUI in RAC and non-RAC database servers.
- Discussed and developed long-term strategy to retain audit data for longer periods by keeping only last 7 days worth of audit data in the AUD$ table in the database.
- Implemented Flashback technologies to recover data from Human errors by creating guaranteed restore points in the database periodically.
- Analyze, Identify and resolve locking conflicts in the databases.
- Maintain consistentency in the database parameters and system settings across all the databases of development to test to stage to production life cycle.
- SYSAUX tablespace abnormal growth - Analyzed and identified the list of components that are contributing to SYSAUX tablespace growth and purged the records from SYS tables that are older than retention period.
- Worked with application teams and helped them to tune the problematic SQL queries using SQL TRACE, SQLTXPLAIN, TKPROF, ADDM, EXPLAIN PLAN utilities.
- Scheduled UNIX shell script to generate long-running SQL query details and send it to DBA team group for further analysis.
- Provided 24x7 on call support for multiple large business critical application databases.
Environment: Oracle11g/10g/9i,Red Hat Linux,SunSolarix,Kornshell,ASM, CRS, RMAN, RAC and Active Data Guard, Explain Plan, Oracle Support, SQL Developer, Data Pump, Toad, AWR, OS WATCHER, Sql *Loader, ADDM, Data guard, OEM, EXPLAIN PLAN, SQL TRACE, OUI, EXP, IMP, STATSPACK,OPATCH, EXPDP/IMPDP, Shell scripting, Performance Tuning.
- Installed, configured, and maintained Oracle 9i/10g databases on Redhat Enterprise Linux platform.
- Applied patch sets, CPU patches and one - off patches on top of oracle RDBMS home binaries.
- Migrated the data from old systems to newly build systems using logical backup data pump expdp/impdp tools.
- Prepared UNIX shell scripts to perform schema migrations from source database to target databases.
- Performed Table(s)/Schema/Database Refresh in Development and Test databases from live production databases.
- Proactive and reactive performance tuning. Worked with application teams and gathered details on the performance issues and helped them to tune the queries by suggesting indexes,hints,queryre-write etc.
- Designed and implemented backup strategy and scheduled a script to backup the database regularly.
- Create, configure, manage schemas, users, tablespaces in the databases.
- Worked with application teams and understood about the purpose of each schema in the database and performed cleanup of elevated access from all the schemas by assigning only appropriate mandatory system,objects privileges and roles to users in the database.
- Enabled SQL trace for problematic sessions and generated TKPROF output file, analyzed the file and fixed SQL query performance issues.
- Created LOGON trigger to restrict direct access to few schemas in critical production database from TOAD/SQL*plus/SQL Developer tools as per the application team request.
Environment: Oracle 8i/9i/10g, Sunsolaris,Red Hat Linux, HP-UX, Korn shell,ASM, CRS, RMAN, Active Data Guard, EXP, IMP, EXPDP/IMPDP, Shell scripts,Explain Plan, Toad, SQL*trace,TKPROF, PL/SQLTriggers.
- Responsible for installation,configuration and maintenance of different versions of oracle 9i,10g and 11g databases. Also, installed various versions of oracle client software in the application servers.
- Applied critical patch updates (CPU) patches in business critical databases every quarter as soon as they are released.
- Upgradation of databases from 8i,9i,10g to oracle 11g version. Also, upgraded few old databases to oracle 10g version as well.
- Refresh table(s)/schemas/database in development and test databases from the production databases using logical backup tools exp/expdp/imp/impdp and RMAN backup.
- Applied PSU patches and latest patch sets on top of RDBMS home binaries in which business critical databases were running.
- Create and manage users, roles, privileges,tablespaces,tables, indexes and other database objects.
- Analyze,identify and resolve Database Locks and blocking sessions.
- Rebuild all the indexes that are fragmented. Also, performed defragmentation of tables to get the HWM right up to actual used space.
- Generated AWR,ASH,ADDM reports for the databases during problematic periods; Configured statspack reports and scheduled a job to generate snaps for every hour for the databases which we do not have AWR license.
- Generate SQL TRACE for the sessions experiencing performance issues and use TKPROF to generate output file which can be easily analyzed.
- Gather table/schema/database statistics to get accurate statistics about the objects which are mandatory for optimizer to generate appropriate execution plans.
- Restored database from the tape backups in a temporary database to a specific point in time and performed recover in order to get the data that was deleted unknowingly by application teams.
- Worked on the database alerts that were generated by Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM).
- Work with application teams to deploy new objects/modify existing database objects in stage and production databases.
- Move datafiles across file systems either because of the space issues in the file systems and/or IO performance issues.
- Migration of databases from SAN storage to ASM storage.
- Enabled schemas to be capable of sending emails from the stored procedure by installing appropriate packages and assigning privileges to schemas.
- Prepared UNIX shell script to list out stale application specific database standard roles, and the list of objects for which privileges are missing in the roles and the script to be used to refresh the roles. Scheduled the script to be executed in the production database once in a week and then send the report to application teams.
Environment: Oracle 8i/9i/10g/11g,HP-UX, Redhat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), Sun Solaris, ASM, RMAN, Explain Plan, Oracle Support, EXP/EXPDP/IMP/IMPDP, Putty, Toad,SQL*plus, iSQL plus, TKPROF,AWR, ADDM, Statspack, SQL *trace, Shell scripting.