Database administrator (DBA) with over 20 years IT experience with variety of database management systems (DBMS). Delivered project development through production support for IBM DB2 v2 - v8 on z/OS, Oracle 8i, 9i, 10g and Sybase ASE 10-15.0 on AIX/Unix, Red Hat/Linux, Sun Solaris/ Unix, SQL Server 2000-2008 on Windows Server 2003.
Areas of expertise include:
- Technical Leadership
- Project Management
- Problem Solving
- Decision Maker
- Policy and Procedures
- Physical Database Design
- Client Focus
Hardware: IBM System z10, IBM AIX-Unix, Linux RHEL, Sun Solaris-Unix, HP-Unix
Databases and Software: DB2, BMC Alter for DB2, BMC Catalog Manager for DB2, BMC Change Manager for DB2, BMC Check Plus for DB2, BMC Copy Plus for DB2, BMC Dasd Manager Plus for DB2, BMC LoadPlus for DB2, BMC Reorg Plus for DB2, BMC Unload Plus for DB2, CA Endevor, CA Librarian, DB Explain
Oracle: BMC SQL-BackTrack® for Oracle, Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control, Oracle Migration Workbench
SQL Server: SQL Server Enterprise Manager, SQL Server Management Studio
Sybase: BMC SQL-BackTrack for Sybase, Sybase Central
Other: BMC Control-M, BMC PATROL, BMC SQL-Programmer Expert, DBArtisan, CA ERWin Data Modeling, Peregrine ServiceCenter, IBM InfoSphere Metadata Workbench, IBM InfoSphere DataStage, IBM Tivoli software, Serena PVCS Version Manager, Serena TeamTrack
Tools: Microsoft Office 2007, Microsoft Project, Microsoft Visio, Office Communicator, PuTTY, WinSCP, Xterm, Telnet
Confidential, Radnor, PA
- Administered several Sybase and SQL Server databases of more than TB in size.
- Wrote Kron shell and SQL scripts for checking ASE servers’ availability, backups, synchronizing syslogins, refreshing databases, DBCCs, disk space, etc.
- Partitioned big tables reducing disk I/O contention automating process.
- Set-up the monitoring of Sybase servers using Oracle Grid Control.
- Supported developers for various projects, troubleshoot and tuned ASE resolving issues.
- Managed and administered more than 200+ SQL Server 2000, 2005 and 2008 database clustering, failover using Veritas NetBackup/SQL Server Client for backups. Installed service packs.
- On-Call rotation for Sybase and SQL Server, root cause analysis for database incidents and issues.
Confidential, Darby, PA
- Gathers and interprets business requirements and analyzes relevant data for business strategy decision making.
- Researches, analyzes, negotiates and acquires hardware and software with vendor management activities.
- Oversees, monitors, and troubleshoots daily business operations.
Confidential, Malvern, PA
- Played a key role in the Sybase to Oracle migration efforts, wrote how-to document Sybase to Oracle Migration Guidelines used by DBAs and Developers, persuaded Oracle to present a seminar.
- Jointly responsible for solving a long term performance issue with historical queries in Sybase running over 25 minutes, investigated with help from another DBA, we were able to reduce runtime for these queries to 30 seconds by the addition of indexes and the rewrite of some of the SQL being executed. This performance problem had existed for several years and several other DBA's had been unsuccessful at solving the problem.
- Advisor to peers in a conversion/migration project between case tools, Bachman to ERWin. Manager reported work outstanding knowledge of DB2, Sybase and Bachman was an asset saving time and reducing learning curve. Administered multiple physical models for DB2, Oracle, and Sybase forward engineering logical designs producing databases.
- Project Manager for the evaluation and implementation of SQL Backtrack for Oracle. Coordinated the efforts of several Oracle DBAs as they assessed if product warranted for implementation.
- Principal DBA resource in use and evaluation of ETL tools. Contributed Subject Matter Expertise and project support to MetaStage and DataStage strategy efforts, administered support to projects.
- Worked Upgrade projects for several RDBMS, DB2 v6, v7, and v8, Oracle 9i, and 10g, Sybase ASE 11.5, 11.9.2, and 12.5.
- Mirrored databases for heterogeneous platforms from DB2 z/OS to Oracle, resolved all technical issues, datatype mismatches, and generated physical model and database.
- Demonstrated mentoring skill in cross-training effort on a project requiring DB2 and Oracle databases.
- Assessed the capabilities and usefulness of several third party products making recommendation for purchase. Worked with vendor installation and training.
- Supported all PeopleSoft environments including 60+ instances for HR/TL/LMS/WFA/QML/STAT. Evaluated storage use and developed a project plan for a PeopleSoft storage management clean-up.
- Designed physical database models for several database management systems including DB2, Oracle, and Sybase. Conducted physical database design reviews and application code reviews.
- Provided project support for Microsoft SQL Server databases, including evaluation and implementation.
Confidential, Collegeville, PA
Lead DB2/Sybase Database Analyst
- Developed, documented and presented a proposal for DB2 Security Policies and Procedures across all DB2 application environments creating roles and responsibilities for database access by functional areas.
- Key leadership role quickly developed technical skills in Sybase and HP-Unix, set policies and directions as a member of the re-engineering Test Services Delivery process team for the new Automated Laboratory.
- Collaborated with IT resources from the Laboratory and Business systems in a Breakthrough Project Team to evaluate SQL Efficiencies. Presented and published DB2 SQL DO's and DON'Ts Technical Manual and DB2 SQL DO's and DON'Ts Reference Card.
- Evaluated, recommended, and acquired several DB2 administrative and monitoring third party tools, organized vendor training for all sector DBAs at SmithKline Beecham. C oordinated the roll-out of DB Explain product.
- Led Database Physical Design and SQL Coding reviews to ensure efficient data access with application development teams. Created DB2 and Sybase physical design models using modeling software.
Confidential, Wilmington, DE
Information Center Specialist / Sr. Programmer/Analyst
- Designed and developed several credit card on-line and batch applications for large FOCUS database systems.
- Collaborated with management and vendors in a benchmark of 2 database management systems, Cullinet’s IDMS and IBM’s DB2, performed a Database Analyst function. Test resulted in the development of a COBOL application for a large 9 million credit card account DB2 Time Series database system.
- Participated in IBM DB2 Design Review for the Time Series database.