Solutions-focused, self-motivated professional with a progressive career path developing and supporting human resources departments in the financial, municipal government, manufacturing and educational industries. Excels at interacting with all levels of employees including senior executives, management and staff. Highly versatile; quickly masters new roles, responsibilities, and environments. Reputation for integrity, dedication and work ethic.
Conflict Resolution • Risk Management • Strategic Planning • Process Improvement
Full Life-Cycle Recruitment • Negotiations • Compliance
Relationship Building • Problem Solving • Benefits Administration • Staff Training & Motivation
- Restructured the company’s workers’ compensation system via education, which resulted in reduction of worker’s compensation claims by 40% in two-year period and an annual premium reduction of over $150,000.
- Improved operational efficiency by upgrading payroll system to an automated program, which reduced payroll processing from 3 days to 1.5 days.
- Implemented a retirement training program for employees and upgraded employee benefit plans.
- Chosen to serve as a Trustee on Pekin Insurance’s DB and DC plans for 12 years.
- Increased DC participation rate from 62% to 78% in two years.
- Designed, developed and facilitated the integration of new performance appraisal documents for exempt and non-exempt personnel to identify and develop internal talent.
- Decreased turnover from over 17% to under 8% annually.
Director of Human Resources (1997-2009)
Human Resource Manager (1994-1997)
Human Resources Operations
- Contributed a broad knowledge of HR operations toward educating all levels of employees on issues involving employment, compensation-benefits, payroll, employee relations and policy design at corporate office and multi-state locations in Midwest covering over 700 employees.
- Optimized staff performance by developing and integrating strategies concerning personnel policies for EEO/OSHA employment related issues, disability accommodations, maternity/paternity leave, performance management, absence management, compensation, workforce planning, legal compliance, and employee misconduct.
Management and Team Leadership
- Improved staff performance by facilitating cross-functional training as well as establishing a collaborative teamwork environment.
- Corporate trainer on supervision techniques, workplace harassment, management leadership skills, compensation and benefit programs.
- Effectively oriented, trained and motivated personnel to ensure adherence to company policies, rules and regulations.
- Updated employee and internal policy procedures manuals.
- Liaised between staff in conducting evaluations, defining skill gaps and providing recommendations on strategic training and professional development solutions.
- Planned and coordinated schedules to maximize use of human resources while controlling labor costs and meeting customer needs.
Confidential, IL (1992-1994)
Labor Relations Manager
Played a key role as the Chief Negotiator Representative for the city with collective bargaining units, including police, fire, administrative and craft/trade unions. Addressed formal grievance procedures for all eight units. Supported the development and integration of new compensation software to cost out economic proposals during contract negotiations. Served as a key staff member of the citywide committee that achieved $1 Million in cost-savings.
Additional Work History
City of Kansas City, Kansas (1991-1992) – Labor Relations Administrator
General Education & Training, Inc. (1987-1990) – Human Resources Manager
Inter-Collegiate Press, Inc. (1984-1986) – Plant Personnel Manager
Masters in Public Administration