- Business Intelligence consultant with 8 Years in gathering Business Requirements, with prime focus on Analysis, design and development of business intelligence solutions using Cognos and Crystal Reports.
- Extensively used Cognos Framework Manager tool for developing/customizing the physical layer, business layer, and presentation layer and modifying it according to the business requirement.
- Complete Software Development Life Cycle implementation experience of Data Warehouse/ Datamart and Business Intelligence using Cognos 7.3.2/8/8.2/8.4/10/10.1 Transformer, PowerPlay, Analysis Studio.
- Strong knowledge of Data Warehousing, Data modelling, Stored Procedures, functions, schemas and views.
- Extensive experience in providing end-to-end business intelligence solution by dimension modelling design, building business models, configuring metadata, reports, event driven automation of reports, alerts, on the spot update of database table from report, dashboards and scorecards. Created Physical Layer and Presentation Layer from different types of data sources.
- Expertise in Business Model development with Dimensions, Hierarchies, Measures, Partitioning, Aggregation Rules and Mapping using Framework Manager modelling, cubes and documented in Microsoft Visio.
- Expertise in OLTP/OLAP system study, analysis and E-R modeling, developing and experience working with multi-dimensional data model, star schema and snowflake schema.
- Used various sources like Oracle, SQL Server and Flat files.
- Very good in Debugging, Optimizing and Performance Tuning of Oracle BI/ Cognos objects/SSAS object and database queries.
- Used Categories such as clock to suppress a particular category in Transformer cube design. Also used summarize, apex, suppress.
- Used user defined functions in Transformer cubes, Framework Manager packages extensively.
- Expertise in Oracle PL/SQL and Database Performance Tuning by implementing Parallel Execution, Table Partition, Materialized Views with Query Rewriting, Creating appropriate indexes
- Having complete expertise in Query Studio, Report Studio, Event Studio, Metrics Studio, Metrics Manager and Analysis Studio.
Reporting Tools: Cognos8.1/8.2/8.4, ReportNet1.1MR2, Report Studio, Query Studio, and Analysis Studio. Metric Studio, Event Studio, Framework Manager ,Cognos SDK, Cognos Connection, Cognos Impromptu 7.3/7.4, Cognos Transformer & Power Play7.3/7.4, Impromptu Web Reports (IWR), Cognos Query, Cognos Scheduler, Cognos Architect, Cognos Script Editor, Cognos Upfront, Cognos Power Play, Cognos Enterprise Planning tool, Business Objects XI.
ETL: DataStage 7.X, Informatica, Oracle Warehouse Builder.
Databases: Oracle 8i/9i/10g, MS SQL server, MS Access.
Database Tools: TOAD, Query Analyser, SQL Developer.
Data Modeling: ER/Studio 3.5/4.0, Erwin 4.1
Languages: C, SQL, PL/SQL, HTML, and XML.
OS: Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows NT 4.0, UNIX (Sun Solaris, AIX, HP-
UX), Redhat Linux,
Confidential,Germantown, MD Mar 2012 – Till Date
Sr. Cognos Developer
Wells Fargo Operational Risk Reporting (ORR) System - The Operational Risk group leads Wells Fargo’s compliance and operational risk management activities through companywide programs including: Regulatory Compliance, BSA and Enterprise Operational Risk Management. ORR is the Operational Risk group\'s name for the new reporting environment in which the reporting data is stored. The data is available for use to provide metrics, standard reporting, and to combine with other data in ORR for ad-hoc report authoring across the Operational Risk Platform.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Worked on complete life cycle of Cognos 10 Administration and Cognos BI (Installations, Security, Configurations, Migration and deployment).
- Worked closely with Clients and Business Users to analyze and understand business requirements and Participated in requirements gathering meetings / Sessions.
- Developed technical specifications, data identification and also recommendations on the preferred solution for development, and deploy efficient BI solutions
- Worked on technical design specs for Framework manager, and reporting per the requirements.
- Created project, namespace (Database View, and Business View), and folders and imported required metadata in Cognos Framework Manager.
- Provided cardinality, check data usage, identifiers in the database view.
- Created model query subjects, Data source query subjects, stored procedure query subjects as per the business requirements in the Framework Manager
- Provided version control using CVS for FM Packages, and reports.
- Created schema prompts, required, optional prompts, parameter files, parameter mappings for automation using macros.
- Worked on multiple database, and multiple data source in Framework Manager to generate reports
- Created standard reports in Cognos Report Studio, and Analysis Studio.
- Responsible to build the Framework Manager Models and packages as per the business requirements.
- Published the Packages, and provided security in Framework Manager.
- Created folders, filters, prompts, and complex business calculations in Framework Manager and Report Studio.
- Worked on various reports like, List, Crosstab, drill-thru, multi-query, master/detail, prompted, dashboards, portlets, and tabular reports.
- Designed complex reports with union queries, and SQL queries
- Improved long running reports performance thru writing SQL queries, resolving complex joins in framework manager, filters, and using stored procedures.
- Expertise to understanding, analyze, Cognos, data warehouse(OLAP), and OLTP data
- Designed transformer models, and powerplay cubes using powerplay transformer.
- Worked on powerplay studio to slice/dice Cognos cubes,
- Worked on performance tuning to maintain fast performance of the cubes and Transformer models.
- Recommended to do the complex database calculations in the database to improve report query performance.
- Provided customer training in Report Studio, and Query Studio.
- Developed number of prototypes for the business users. This project was bases of star schema, OLTP data. Involved in multiple phases, which included requirement gathering, design, and development and unit testing.
- Strong knowledge on data warehousing methodologies, and best practices.
Environment: Cognos 10/8.4, Report Studio, Framework Manager, Query Studio, Event studio, Powerplay Studio, Analysis studio, Powerplay transformer8.4, Oracle10g, Informatica, Unix and windows.
Confidential,Scranton, PA Aug 2010 – Feb 2012
Sr. Cognos Consultant
- Involved in installing and configuring Cognos 8 BI and worked with Cognos 8 BI modeling, Report Studio ,Query Studio and Analysis Studio
- Interact with the Business Users and documented their query, business analysis and reporting needs, Understood data and business logic underlying the requirements
- Worked closely with business and end-users to translate functional and business requirements into technical requirements
- Created Projects, Models, and Packages using Cognos Framework Manager and deployed packages on Cognos Connection
- Imported power cubes from the Power Play enterprise server to Cognos connection server
- Created folders, Filters, Prompts, and Complex Financial Calculations in Framework Manager and Report Studio
- Authored complex reports(like List Reports, Cross tab Reports, Drill through Reports, Master-Detail Reports etc.) using Report Studio and trained end users in building Ad-hoc reports using Query Studio
- Provided Security through LDAP Server and configuration settings in Cognos configuration
- Involved in Administration, Installation and configuration of Cognos servers, implementing security, managing Users, User Groups and Roles in the organization
- Extensively worked on Transformer for Data Modeling of the corporate data for building up of Multidimensional Cubes
- Involved in customizing and optimizing SQL queries through PL/SQL coding.
- Involved in Cognos SDK to customize, automate various tasks and design-time web services consumption
- Scheduled Impromptu and PowerPlay reports to run on a monthly, weekly, and daily basis using Cognos Scheduler.
- Used Union, Union all, Intersection for creating queries.
- Involve with Scheduling and Distributing reports through Schedule Management in Cognos Connection and Burst reports to different user groups
- Trained End users to operate the reports and Cognos Query Studio
- Production Support by involving in change requests of old reports
Environment: Cognos 8.4, Report Studio, Framework Manager, Query Studio, Event studio, Powerplay Studio, Analysis studio, Powerplay transformer8.4, Oracle10g, LDAP, Unix and windows.
Confidential,Irving TX Jan 2009 to July 2010
- Involved in requirements gathering of the various work streams by meeting with the business User’s and base lining the details and translate those requirements into a Data warehouse design.
- Was part of Team member’s Design Review meeting’s and other Production issue meetings to discuss and finalize on the Design approach.
- Expertise in Performance tuning of the queries and tracking the issues involved in the report queries.
- Experienced in Reporting/ DW Data analysis and Data validation process which will overcome maintenance overhead.
- Worked with Data Engineering team to design Facts, Dimensions, Dimensional data Model, Data Structures (relational and OLAP) and Hierarchies of the business model.
- Did a Proof of Concept cube in Transformer 7.4 and migrated 7.3 cubes into 7.4 cubes.
- Experienced in developing test Scenarios/Conditions along with test data requirements
- Created security based upon the user group by using single sign on.
- Created Dimensions, Aggregations and Levels using ReportNet 1.1 and designed Rank reports. Also created drill through, drill down and drill up reports from this metadata model.
- Star schema grouping is done to join many fact tables with set of dimensions.
- Namespaces, query subjects and query items are named according to proper business sensible names.
- The performance of the reports improved by driving Cognos Reporting options according to the best sql queries. Like Filter before grouping or filter after grouping were chosen correctly.
- Report bursting feature used to send same reports to many users with different formats.
- Repeater table was used to find out mortgage profit in various countries.
- Reports were scrollable using block scrolling features.
- Cube to cube and cube to report drill through were achieved in this project.
- Sub cubes were created to analyse a specific business area.
- Training provided to the power users to understand and create basic reports by themselves.
- Stored procedure query subject is used in the ReportNet metadata model
- Scorecards and Dashboard were created to find out the metrics performance of the IT department.
Environment: Oracle 7.3.2/8, Cognos 7.3.2, ReportNet 1.1, Windows XP, SQL, PL/SQL, and TOAD 6.3, Crystal Reports.
Confidential,San Francisco, CA Mar 2007 to Dec 2008
Product Defects Analysis and Product Quality maintenance requires Cognos reports which were migrated from the Cognos 6 to Cognos 7.2. The migration was not entirely using tools. Some of the reports were created from scratch. Also for Product Quality Maintenance a POC project in ReportNet was developed to test the feasibility of the system to undergo the migration of legacy reports into ReportNet reports.
- Catalogs and reports were tested and fixed if needed after migration.
- Prompts undergone into changes for the version 7.
- IWR was used to publish the reports in web.
- Few complex reports were developed using Cognos 7 features.
- Sample charts and crosstab reports were created in ReportNet report studio.
- Environment: Cognos 6/7/ReportNet, Oracle 7.2/7.3.2, Sql Server 2000.
Confidential,India Feb 2005 to Feb 2007
I involved in creation of reports, cubes for Policy Issuance, C4G Management Systems. Analysed various time buckets in which premium amount need to be paid by the customers and instrumental in handling inspection of various schemes using reports in the project online inspection system.
- Created catalogs in Impromptu reports.
- Developed cascading prompts for impromptu reports.
- Used Hot Cache feature in impromptu reports
- Used Access Manager to provide access to various user communities.
- Created separate queries and unit tested reports.
- Inspection data is incrementally updated into the inspection system cube
- PowerPlay reports were used by management to view the inspection analysis.
- Many legacy inspection reports were brought under inspection cube.
Environment: Cognos 6/7.2/7.3, Oracle 7, Crystal Reports 6., UNIX, Windows 2000