Technology professional with over 15 years of experience leading IT initiatives in support of business strategies and objectives. Results oriented, client focused, process driven, cost-conscious technology manager with proven success in the creation and management of effective teams. Significant experience managing change and realizing efficiency as a result of mergers, consolidations, and downsizing. Extensive exposure and comfort interacting with all management levels within an organization and with managing distributed and virtual teams. Proponent of standards-based computing and process-driven IT, with a comprehensive background in managing multiple complex projects, establishing priorities, and leveraging technology to meet both tactical and strategic business needs. Demonstrated ability to manage large-scale projects with strong leadership, decision making, planning, and communications skills. Practical experience turning programs and projects around to add positive business benefit. Proven experience in negotiating and managing large-scale vendor agreements. Proficient in all major technologies, Service Management concepts, and security governance.
Strategic Consultant Present Provide strategic planning and guidance to multiple clients in Infrastructure & Operations, Service Management, Process Improvement, Program Management, and Architecture Planning. Assist in setting direction, creating roadmaps, process creation/improvement, and managing vendor relationships. Confidential, Bala Cynwyd, PA
Vice President Infrastructure & Operations September 2010 to January 2012
Oversaw all aspects of Infrastructure & Operations including: Voice and Data Communications, Systems, Data Centers, ERP Systems, Messaging, End User Support, Service Desk, Change & Release management, and Database. Focused on enterprise growth and maturity through implementation of technology and governing process.
- Turned around failing data center migration project and delivered on time and budget. Migrated primary data center to new facility and platforms with minimal business disruption;
- Architected and implemented shared North America systems in support of company Shared Services initiative;
- Introduced Service Management framework for the management of infrastructure systems and processes, including formalization of Incident, Problem, Change, and Release Management;
- Introduced metrics and reporting to drive visibility and quality improvement;
- Implemented standard processes for creation of a Shared Services function across North America for all group companies, including process, staffing, management, chargeback, and technology architecture models
- Reduced complexity by eliminating redundant systems and introducing enterprise-class technologies and processes
- Reduced overhead and increased availability by investing in systems and people holistically
Deputy Chief Information Officer February 2008 to May 2010
Managed all aspects of Infrastructure and Operations while continuing to function as CISO. Position created as a result of need to rebuild infrastructure to meet City needs and implement proper process and controls. Oversaw all aspects of Infrastructure including: Voice and Data Communications, Systems, Data Centers, ERP Systems, Messaging, End User Support, Service Desk, and Risk Management. Tasked with streamlining current environment to introduce process control and increase efficiency.
- Identified $1.5M in savings through contract audits;
- Reorganized management team to align with business goals and provide more timely and efficeint customer support;
- Implemented technical and process improvements within environment to reduce management overhead;
- Drove the creation of an ITIL Service Catalog as the basis for an operational framework;
- Increased availability by implementing proper support level agreements (SLAs) and mitigating risk related with older systems and platforms;
- Implemented process improvement to establish defined service levels, including creation of formal SLA process;
- Managed through CIO change, Mayoral change, and significant budget crisis in City;
- Drove consolidation of 52 IT divisions into a centralized enterprise function
Chief Information Security Officer December 2006 to May 2010
Responsible for Information Security compliance City-wide. Tasked with the creation of an Information Security program to insure security of City information assets, as well as constituent data housed on City systems. Responsible for all facets of Information Security. Act as primary interface with City agencies for Information Security awareness, education, and incident response. Provide primary support to Inspector General, City Solicitor, and outside law enforcement agencies in support of investigation, subpoena response, and electronic discovery efforts.
- Established Information Security Group and staffed to meet the needs of the City;
- Drove creation and implementation of a security framework and security policies City-wide;
- Implemented processes for handling investigation requests and subpoena response;
- Implemented multiple technologies to help insure the security of systems and data;
- Oversaw the design and implementation of a new network perimeter to replace aging technology and increase security and functionality at the same time;
- Managed the technical IT needs of the Mayoral transition. This included all aspects of IT and formal training for the new administration members;
- Implemented segmentation project to isolate and protect law enforcement systems through technology and policy
- Successfully helped negotiate the City’s first video surveillance outsourcing agreement for the implementation of a City-wide video surveillance platform. Activities included contract negotiation, definition of scope of work, requirements definition, RFP creation and vendor selection.
Director, North America IT Operations November 2002 to December 2006
Chief Security Officer, North America January 2006 to December 2006
World\'s largest market information company with annual revenue of $2-Billion. Responsible for all IT Operational functions and IT Security across North America encompassing 29 offices and over 2,000 employees. Managed a geographically dispersed professional staff of 34 and a budget of $7MM. Responsible for all facets of Information Technology Operaitons including Helpdesk, Support Services, Networking, Server Support, Security, and Business Continuity Planning. Realigned IT with the business and identified strategic opportunities to leverage IT to increase productivity and reduce costs.
- Managed several acquisitions integrating multiple heterogeneous computing environments into one standards-based environment saving over $5MM annually, including the merging of all IT Operations functions during the recent merger of TNS and NFO;
- Successfully created a single IT Operations team across North America while maintaining morale and limiting turnover. Resulting team is stronger and more efficient;
- Achieved or exceeded all required staffing reduction levels without impacting service levels;
- Migrated several discrete networks to a single, carrier-managed solution using MPLS across North America which resulted in over 25% annual savings, increased network capacity, and increased availability;
- Centralized multiple helpdesk functions into one and off-shored helpdesk to company facility in India. Effort resulted in increased coverage, improved service levels, and reduced labor costs;
- Handled all client information security audits for North America encompassing access controls, data security and privacy, on-site audits, code reviews and physical security. Worked with banking, health care, technology, automotive, etc.
- Lead effort to consolidate and reduce data center footprint across North America and move to single solution with increased stability and service levels.
- Assessed spending across all IT functions and implemented ways to reduce spending, both short and long term. Reduced costs 13% in the first 6-months and over 20% in the subsequent 12-months;
- Responsible for Disaster Recovery planning and implementing proper process and controls to insure uninterrupted operation of all systems and supporting business processes.
- Implemented change management processes, which increased communication and significantly reduced unplanned downtime;
- Managed implementation of corporate security policy and insured compliance and effectiveness of plan. This included creation of action plans, communication, configuration management, and event handling;
- Managed multiple complex projects designed to increase the efficiency of IT Operations and align IT more tightly with the business. Projects included executive level summaries and presentations to board-level executives for approval.
- Managed operational aspects of corporate Oracle Financials implementation.
Director, Information Technology, Northeast Region Integration February 2002 to October 2002
Directed the Northeast Region Field Operations Team realignment from a geographically diverse, market-based team into a functionally centric regional model. Responsible for the management of the reorganization process and candidate selection to build the new team. Defined rules of engagement for operation and oversaw regional projects that were central to the integration of the markets. Managed Data Network integration project across the Northeast.
- Achieved all realignment milestones, including transformation into functional organization;
- Developed and implemented business plan for headcount justification in region. Achieved the required 65% reduction in headcount within 6 months;
- Created and implemented transition plan for elimination of all functions in Region, including this position.
Director, Information Technology, Confidential October 1999 to February 2002
Managed an annual budget of $12MM and a professional staff of fifty. Directed all facets of the IT department to include: corporate information architecture, data and voice infrastructures, information security, database and reporting strategy, software development efforts, and project management. Provided strategic planning to senior management.
- Reduced 2000 Operating budget by 50%, totaling more than $9MM in savings annually;
- Successfully led the effort to integrate the SBC Wireless network with BellSouth Mobility to form Cingular Wireless;
- Managed through 50% attrition due to merger;
- Implemented all major systems and processes to enable the opening of over 40 new retail locations within budget and schedule requirements;
- Managed the Year 2000 project and developed comprehensive business processes;
- Initiated and implemented process to establish and maintain IT standards nationally across the Field Operations organization;
- Negotiated multiple vendor agreements, including $2MM PBX Maintenance, carrier contracts, and various software & hardware support contracts.
Director, Confidential January 1999 to October 1999
Integrated seven teams comprised of seven managers and forty-eight staff to form a single Network Services team responsible for all aspects of network operations and planning. Facilitated the formation of a management team to oversee daily activities. Managed a $20MM+ budget. Expanded and maintained the network to meet the needs of the business. Migrated all Netware systems to NT. Implemented automated monitoring, which reduced staff and increased availability. Created standard operating procedures to govern all operations-related processes, including disaster recovery.
- Eliminated Novell Netware and standardized on Microsoft Windows NT as a common OS platform for all systems, decreasing administrative and maintenance costs while improving efficiency;
- Implemented automated monitoring of all systems and initiated 24x7 coverage of network and systems to increase availability, improve service levels and bettersupport the business;
- Implemented vendor managed ATM network solution for connectivity of remote retail sales offices. Network connected over 35 locations across 3 state region;
- Negotiated $5MM Microsoft Select agreement that resulted in over $4MM savings for company.
Senior Network Manager, Confidential May 1997 to January 1999
Directed Network Administration team consisting of seven network administrators. Accountable for budget of $7MM. Managed all facets of systems-related maintenance, upgrade, and monitoring (NT, UNIX, Netware). Supported 250 servers in a distributed environment, utilizing remote and proactive management tools to ensure availability and performance of systems.
- Created standards for the hardware and software in the environment;
- Implemented automated processes for the creation of servers and workstations; reducing server build time by over 300%, and workstation build time by over 500%;
- Developed monitoring and maintenance procedures to proactively detect and repair problems. Dramatically improved availability and stability of monitored environments.
B. S., Physics
OTHER RELEVANT EXPERIENCEConfidential, Wayne, PA
Senior Network Administrator January 1997 to May 1997
Senior technical expert providing technical direction to team of 7 junior technical personnel. Managed all NT server based systems in a distributed environment of over 250 servers.
Network Administrator October 1996 to January 1997
Assisted in the conversion of the legacy Novell-based network to a Windows NT based network that was TCP/IP based and utilized Windows NT, SMS, Exchange, SNA Server, Internet Information Server, and SQL.
Confidential, Wilmington, DE January 1995 to September 1996
Senior User Support Services Analyst
Technical lead for the Server and network support team. Developed standard operating procedures for the management and expansion of the environment.
Confidential, Wilmington, DE October 1993 to December 1994
Systems Consultant, DuPont Merck Pharmaceutical Company
Administrated and supported a 100-user Novell 3.11 LAN.