- 20+ years’ success driving underwriting operations and success for high - growth organizations
- Dynamic executive with repeated success directing sizable underwriting teams and driving department performance.
- Extensive expertise in risk assessment, account management, turnarounds, team development, process improvement, and lending process.
- Excel in deadline-driven environments; readily adapt to all production channels and maintain stringent regulations.
- Promote collaborative culture with steadfast commitment to creating environment that provides unbiased underwriting for clients.
- Expert presenter, leader, responsive communicator, and analyst; able to sustain solid relationships and cultivate maximum profits for corporate success. Interested in relocating to California ).
AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
- Productivity Optimization
- Process Improvement
- Leadership/Production Teams
- Project/Risk Management
- Staff/Division Development
- Loans/Products/Roll Outs
- Retail/TPO Platforms
- Workflow Requirements
Expert Skills: FHA DE Underwriter (0110) | VA LAPP Staff Appraisal Reviewer (7537)
Technical Proficiencies: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Access) | Fannie’s Automated Underwriting System, Desktop Underwriter | Freddie Mac’s Loan Product Advisor | Ellie Mae’s Loan Origination System, Encompass360)
Confidential, Englewood, CO
Vice President of Underwriting
- Provide executive-level leadership with full responsibility for managing underwriting activities for retail mortgage banker overseeing branches across 25 states.
- Direct underwriting operations overseeing activities .
- Identify process improvement opportunities and implement changes to effectively increased productivity, improve turn times, and decrease deficiencies.
- Provide mentorship, development, and guidance to team members spanning all of the facets of underwriting (AUS, manual, and non-QM).
- Conduct risk assessments for all business practices which introduced risk to organization’s operations, resolve underwriting issues, collaborate cross-departmentally on regulatory compliance, and drive/track personnel performance.
- Established and drove team performance of 95% or higher concurrently ensuring team consistently exceeded service level agreement standards.
- Promoted level of excellence cultivating minimized error business culture with team’s error rating 5% or below on consistent basis.
- Leveraged expertise to promptly and effectively resolve loans that were suspended for purchase by investors and investor repurchase demands.
Confidential, Manhattan Beach, CA
Vice President, Underwriting Manager
- Controlled full accountability for underwriting residential mortgage lending unit for nationally known $6.5B institution with 10 branches, nine loan offices, and workforce of 275 employees.
- Administered underwriting operations, managed unit of nine underwriters, communicated corporate vision, and leveraged leadership skills to guide bank’s Portfolio Residential Underwriting Department.
- Drafted/interpreted credit policy as an acting member of bank’s Credit Council. Boosted overall production volumes to record levels.
- Acted as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for specialty project for the Chief Credit Officer’s rewrite of bank’s credit policy.
- Directed overall increase of unit production (increased by more than 50%).
Confidential, Frederick, MD
National TPO Underwriting Manager
- Executed leadership, platform growth, and underwriting management for rapidly growing full-service national lender.
- Oversaw underwriting responsibilities including management of on-site/remote staff, development/training, underwriting production, staffing according to volume plans, and cultivating growth of TPO Platform.
- Directed team guaranteeing team achieved/exceeded company’s production standards.
- Provided integral support to advance TPO Channel (Wholesale and Non-Delegated Correspondent Divisions) resulting in accomplishment of production and profitability goals (exceeded goals).
Confidential, San Ramon, CA
Wholesale Underwriting Manager
- Performed management of underwriting department for national innovative lender of all productions channels.
- Planned strategies, aligned staff with departmental goals, and defined subordinates’ job responsibilities to achieve overall corporate objectives.
- Analyzed and addressed critical issues through the implementation of turnaround initiatives.
- Adhered to underwriting compliancy ensuring high quality and saleable loans.
- Reduced massive overflow/backlog of loan volume (from previous flood of application from HARP set up by Federal Housing Finance Agency) and successfully cut 4-month turn times to 48-72 hours (alleviating issues with expired credit documents during underwriting process).
- Supported organization’s Credit Policy initiatives.
Confidential, Concord, CA
Regional Underwriting Manager
- Administered executive-level leadership while helming accountability for underwriting activities for full-service retail mortgage lender licensed in 32 states with branches spanning over 23 states.
- Managed all aspects of underwriting ensuring safe and sound underwriting guidelines were maintained while supervising performance, productivity, and work quality of underwriters (Wholesale Channel).
- Maintained KPIs for turn times while researching/developing credit policy procedures/underwriting guidelines.
- Resolved issues of any suspended or declined loans. Issued notifications regarding regulations/process improvements.
- Directed Underwriting Unit for Retail and Wholesale production channels successfully increasing production by over 25%.
- Identified potential in junior underwriters, honed talent by developing junior underwriters into skilled underwriters, and determined clear career path for unit members.
Confidential, Plymouth, MN
Vice President, Underwriting Manager
- Supplied executive-level leadership with full accountability for all business activities involving underwriting for organization with branches stretching across 20 states.
- Oversaw local/remote underwriter/underwriting activities.
- Established and spearheaded workforce productivity culture by maintaining projections, increasing production (200 to 300 units per month), and sustaining workflow requirements.
- Initiated product and investor rollouts.
- Innovated/deployed new initiatives (Uniform Collateral Data Portal, UCDP and FHA 203(k) product offerings).
- Stabilized company/teams throughout merger process ensuring smooth transition into single entity. Collaborated closely with underwriting teams (preexisting and newly acquired) to guarantee standardization of processes bringing overall consistency and balance to teams.
- Acted as company’s representative with the Minnesota Mortgage Association’s Underwriting Roundtable.
Confidential, Pleasanton, CA
Director, Mortgage Underwriting
- Drove broad range of underwriting activities for Pacific Region including the control of organizations two largest Wholesale Operations Centers among five Retail/TPO offices.
- Owned concurrent accountability for regional underwriters adherence to regulations/policies and full scope of underwriting activities within the Pacific Region.
- Established and achieved crucial staff development while ensuring commitment to regulations/quality by delivering group training, one-on-one sessions, conference calls, and active communications (written/verbal).
- Conducted site visits, audits, second reviews, and team performance check-ins.
- Piloted various products in region including new Jumbo Loan Product for organization prior to successful rollout companywide.
- Owned accountability and oversight for five underwriting centers including the two highest Wholesale offices recognized as the top producers in the country.
Confidential, Wilmington, DE
- Conducted day-to-day underwriting functions including advising wholesale underwriting team, supporting all members, observing adherence to credit policies/regulations, and providing highest level of client care on complex transactions. Improved process/procedures to deliver efficient decisions regarding underwriting.
- Relocated in service of company to successfully execute Eastern Division transformation/turnaround. Established collaborative culture of positivity concurrently improving low performance to high productivity and efficiency. Earned unit accolades and praise from executive-level leadership.
- Collaborated with bank’s Risk Department to assess/address complex and difficult transactions.
- Acted as chief presenter to Credit Risk Officer for exceptions on loans above $1M simultaneously holding credit exception authority on loans valuing $1M.