Highly motivated, results-oriented senior enterprise architect offering 15 years of storage experience and a total of 21 years of comprehensive and well-diversified IT experience. Exceptional ability to quickly master new technologies, and apply its capabilities to business problems. Excels under pressure and in fast-paced environments. Communicates and interacts well with professionals at all levels.
TECHNICAL SKILLS Storage Hardware
- XtremIO 1-, 2-, 3- and 4-brick
- Symmetrix Family Fibre Channel, iSeries, ESCON, FICON
- V-Max 10K-40K DMX4 DMX 800/1000/2000/3000 8930 8830 8430 3930 3830
- VNX Family File and Block
- VNX1 5200/5400/5600/5800/7600/8000 VNX2 5100/5300/5500/5700/7500
- S200/X200/X400/NL400 Nodes Backup Accelerators
- Celerra Family CIFS/NFS, iSCSI and Fibre Channel
- NSX NS-120/240/480/960 NS-80 G NS-42 G NS-40 G NS-40 G NS-20 NS-704 NS-702 NS700 G NX4
- CLARiiON Family Fibre Channel and iSCSI
- CX4-120/240/480/960 CX3-10/20/40/80 CX200/300/400/500/600/700 AX4-5f/i AX150/i AX100/i FC4500 4700
- Centera Data Domain 880/990 EDL's RecoverPoint Appliances VPLEX
- XIV Gen 2 XIV Gen 3
- EVA Family Fibre Channel
- EVA 8400 EVA 8100 EVA 8000 EVA 6400 EVA 5000 EVA 4400
- XP Family Fibre Channel, ESCON and FICON
- XP 24000 XP 12000 XP 10000 XP 1024 XP 512
- Hitachi HDS
- Thunder Family Fibre Channel
- Thunder 9500V
- Lightning Family Fibre Channel
- Lightning 9980V Lightning 9900V
- AMS Series
- AMS2100 AMS2300 AMS2500 AMS200 AMS500 AMS1000
- SAN Directors and Switches
- Directors: MDS 9500-Series
- Switches: MDS 9222i MDS 9134 MDS 9124 MDS 9112
- Directors: DCX 8510 48000 24000 12000
- Switches: 5300 5100 5000 3900 3800 300 200E
- Directors: 10000 6140 6064 ED-140M ED-64M
- Switches: 3232 DS-24M2 DS-4700M
- Switches: SANbox 5800 SANbox 5600
- SAN Software
- SRM ControlCenter PowerPath Performance Manager StorageScope Replication Manager SAN Copy Workload Analyzer ControlCenter ECC
- Celerra Manager CLI Replicator SnapSure Shell Scripting
- Navisphere NAVISECCLI including scripting MirrorView SnapView
- Symmetrix Management Console SMC Symmetrix Performance Analyzer SPA SYMCLI / Solutions Enabler including scripting TimeFinder/Clone TimeFinder/Snap SRDF/S SRDF/A with Consistency Groups SRDF/Star
- StorageWorks Fabric Manager SecurePath
- CommandView Business Copy
- CommandView Business Copy AutoLUN Performance Advisor
- SAN Volume Controller SVC Tivoli Storage Productivity Center IO Analytics IBM Research Internal Tool IBM XIV GUI
- Benchmarking and Performance Tools
- Sorcery EMC Internal Tool Vdbench SPC-1 Iometer fio btest vdbenchmark
- Connectrix SANscreen Cisco CLI Cisco Fabric Device Manager Cisco Data Center Network Manager DCNM Brocade CLI Brocade Web Tools
- Host Operating Systems Supported
- Windows 2003 / 2008 ESX / VMware Sun Solaris HP-UX IBM AIX Linux IBM iSeries IBM Mainframe Citrix XenServer Novell Netware AIX VIO
- Additional Skills
- Extensive iSeries engineering experience 8 Years Symantec NetBackup EMC NetWorker Dell Tape Silos
Senior Enterprise Architect, Storage
Storage architect for a national pharmacy, PBM and health corporation ranking 12th on the Fortune 500's largest companies in the US, and 35th on the Fortune 500's largest companies globally across 4 primary datacenters and 19 remote sites. Environment consists approximately 15 PB of primary storage. Hardware platforms 39 x Symmetrix Arrays primarily V-Max 40K , 16 x VNX arrays up to VNX 8000 , XtremIO, 4 x Isilon clusters, 40 legacy storage arrays, 33 x Data Domains primarily DD990's , 6 x Centera clusters in a Brocade DCX director-based fabric. Lead architect for storage data at rest encryption project to encrypt all PCI, PHI and PII data by 2015. Develop, communicate and present the company's storage and backup/archive strategy and roadmap to senior management. Determine storage solution gaps for the environment, search for and evaluate solutions addressing any gaps and execute a POC for chosen solution s , resulting in presentation to and voting by the internal Tech Board. Participate in projects, determine solution, architect/engineer to meet requirements and obtain quotes. Set standards and best practices for storage implementation to operations. Develop storage chargeback model. Responsible for capacity planning. Maintain relationships with storage vendors and search for opportunities to increase efficiencies and/or reduce costs with existing or forthcoming products. Support other infrastructure architects by collaborating on solutions affecting or being affected by storage.
Storage Architect and Principal Performance Engineer
Write and execute performance test plans at the component and system level. Identify the root cause of performance problems and system bottlenecks. Prepare and present performance characterization results for internal engineering, marketing and field use. Represent the department on special project teams. Validate that component s , subsystem or whole product performance goals are met using internal, proprietary performance testing tools, as well as open source or 3rd party. Assist with the positioning of products due to performance characteristics both with internal products and against competing products.
Storage Architect, Performance Focal Contract
- Storage Architect SME specializing in storage performance design, troubleshooting and remediation across all major vendors' storage arrays, switches/directors and related software products. Lead performance SME for the EMC, and IBM SAN product line. Used advanced performance troubleshooting tools such as XIO IO Analytics an internal IBM tool developed by IBM Research , as well as vendor-specific tools such as EMC SPA or IBM TPC. Support any client where skills are needed, but primarily supported a Fortune 100 financial institution. Environment consists of dozens of Symmetrix/V-Max, CLARiiON's, IBM XIV, NetApp, HP EVA and XP frames, as well as SVC in a 9,000 port, Cisco director-centered, edge/core/edge topology, across multiple sites. Write performance-related white papers and determine performance best practices. Responsible for interfacing with the client and vendor as needed, presentation and clear communication of findings to the client s , both verbal and written. Responsible for V-Max performance-based remediation plan, including in-place as well as host and application migration to alternate frame solution. Provide direction for offshore resources in handling performance issues. Work on other storage-related projects for other clients as needed. Escalation point and lead for performance issues. Interview candidates for employment.
- Received formal recognition from end-client for work performed in the environment.
- Formally Designated as Performance Focal
Architect and implementation engineer for a prestigious institution. Support storage infrastructure across multiple locations as well as a managed hotsite. Environment consists of 5 CLARiiON's, Symmetrix DMX4 replicated asynchronously to a counterpart , as well as manage a V-Max implementation hands-on , replicating Centeras, with Cisco 9509's, 9222i and 9124's and IBM blades with embedded Cisco switches . Identify performance and capacity issues across the environment by reviewing performance data and comparing against best practices, and recommend for or against proposed consolidation or upgrades initiatives. Train, support and prepare documentation for more junior level staff, and act as an escalation resource for advanced technical issues in the environment. Point for storage in disaster recovery preparation and testing.
Resident for a multi-billion dollar conglomerate, supporting storage infrastructure across two dozen sites. Environment consists of approximately 90 CLARiiON's CX4-960, CX4-480, CX4-240, CX3-80, CX3-40, CX3-20, CX700, CX500, CX300 and AX4-5 frames , 10 Symmetrix DMX4 and V-max frames , 30 Celerra's NSX, NS960, NS480, NS80G, NS42G, NS40G, NS704, NS702 and NS700G frames , and 10 Centeras, with approximately 72 switches and directors in a core-edge topology, which includes Brocade DCX, 5000, 3900 and 200E, McData ED-140M, ED-64M, DS-24M2 and DS-4700M. Performed Celerra/NAS health checks and resolved all issues in the environment identified, as well as implemented best practices recommendations for both the Celerra's and CAVA servers. Implemented monitoring and reporting with alerts using SNMP across all platforms. Wrote shell scripts for the Celerra to report on and archive performance data for review. Identified performance and capacity issues across the environment by reviewing performance data and comparing against best practices, and recommended for or against proposed consolidation or upgrades initiatives. Point for connectivity, availability issues with the environment and root cause analysis. Trained, supported and prepared documentation for more junior level staff, and acted as an escalation resource for advanced technical issues in the environment.
Storage Architect/lead for an 8.5 billion health system in Michigan, with 59 locations. Infrastructure consists of Cisco 9513 directors and 9122/9406 switches, EMC Symmetrix DMX4-24 in the process of migrating to V-Max , EMC CLARiiON's CX4-960's and a CX3-80 , EMC Celerra's NS40 and NS-960's , RecoverPoint and Replication Manager. Host operating systems supported include IBM mainframe, Sun Solaris, IBM AIX, HP-UX, Novell Netware, Microsoft Windows 2003/2008, ESX / VMware and Citrix. Responsible for the Celerra NS-960 implementation, including data mover including VDM's , filesystem design, quota configuration, file extension filtering, SnapSure and Replicator configuration. Performed the V-Max implementation, and DMX to V-Max migration using Open Replicator and PowerPath Migration Enabler, as well as SRDF. Performed upgrade of ControlCenter 6.0 to 6.1 for V-Max compatibility. Managed McData to Cisco director migration. Managed CX3-80 to CX4-960 migrations. Developed a capacity planning and chargeback model for all aspects of storage infrastructure. Perform mentoring and technical supervision of less junior SAN personnel, performance troubleshooting across the entire fabric and review of design, current and planned from a standards and best-practices perspective. Interface with EMC to plan changes, upgrades and implementations of infrastructure, as well as any post-mortem reviews necessary for any technical issues encountered, project-related or otherwise. Primary technical resource for the storage virtualization evaluation project. Led host SAN standardization project for multiple operating systems best practices and supported configurations for SAN builds .
Storage Engineer III EMCIEe, SE
EMC Certified Implementation Engineer, Expert EMCIEe and SE for CLARiiON and Celerra storage arrays. Performed all aspects of implementation for both arrays, including installation, FLARE and DART code upgrades, hardware upgrades, migrations, performance analysis, health checks, sizing including for VMware and Citrix and post-mortem troubleshooting. Support a national sales force with pre-sales engineering and implementation for the EMC CLARiiON, Celerra and DMX storage arrays, as well as the HP XP and EVA, and Hitachi storage and storage-related product lines. Other storage arrays engineered and supported on an as-needed basis, such as Overland, Dell EqualLogic, Pillar, Xiotech and Lefthand. Engineering on SAN fabrics including NAS for performance issues, data migrations, replication, upgrades, and SAN health checks. Achieved multiple vendor-specific engineering certifications. Also architected deduplication, backup and replication solutions. Achieved certification in Symantec NetBackup. Performed backup assessments BSA , filesystem assessments FSA , e-mail assessments ESA and commonality assessments CSA . Architected a solution based upon the findings, and implemented that solution. Responsible for developing the storage practice, and remaining current with product lines and best practices. Provided storage training to the sales force, and attended pre-sales meetings to provide technical expertise. Assisted with the development of literature, advertisements, marketing campaigns and seminars to generate storage and backup business.
Senior Engineer, SAN Architecture
Designed, implemented and supported a multi-billion dollar financial institution's SAN infrastructure across multiple sites. Supported infrastructure included Brocade 48K director, Cisco 9124 switches, EMC Symmetrix DMX3 , CLARiiON CX3-20c , Celerra NS-40 and Centera storage arrays, each of which is replicated to an offsite counterpart, as well as self-replicating VTL's for the iSeries. Also responsible for the backup environment which utilizes EMC NetWorker Legato software and a Dell tape silo for open systems and VTL's for the iSeries and open systems. Performed the migration from a direct-attached to a switched fabric design. Implemented Celerra storage arrays, including data mover including VDM's , filesystem design, quota configuration, file extension filtering, SnapSure and Replicator configuration. Procured and installed CLARiiON arrays with MirrorView replication. Brocade 48K directors, Cisco 9124 switches and VTL's. Engineered the iSeries boot from SAN environment using load source emulators, with SRDF/S replication to a hot site. Other host operating systems include Windows 2003 and ESX / VMware. Implemented and supported all SAN and backup hardware and software. Responsible for the SAN budget and procurement, as well as capacity planning. Updated senior-level management on a regular basis the current status, issues and future direction of the SAN and backup infrastructure. Determined the storage infrastructure strategy, which included inter- and intra-platform tiering with a chargeback model.
Senior Storage Analyst Contract
Senior member of Dell's EMEA Gold Storage Support team. Resolved technical issues, answered technical questions, and provided technical services for customers in Europe, the Middle East and Africa for Dell/EMC FC4500/FC4700 and CLARiiON AX- and CX-series storage arrays, Cisco, Brocade and McData switches, Emulex and Qlogic HBA's, as well as related software products such as EMC Navisphere and PowerPath. Performed SAN health checks, FLARE code upgrades and third-level support for complex storage problems. Managed, mentored and reviewed storage personnel, developed training programs/materials, and documented issues with storage products. Customer satisfaction root cause analysis lead for storage in EMEA. To achieve Six Sigma yellow belt, implemented project with cost savings of approximately 3.25 million per year, while increasing data accuracy and customer satisfaction.
Onsite HP consultant, responsible for designing storage and storage capacity planning for an international, multi-billion dollar telecommunications corporation. Work across vendor's storage solutions, including HP EVA's and XP's, EMC Symmetrix and DMX arrays, EMC Celerras, Hitachi 9900V Lightning arrays, NetApp, Brocade and Cisco directors and multiple host operating systems including all varieties of Unix and Windows in a multi-petabyte core/edge topology. Acted as the liaison between the client Cingular Wireless and the vendor Hewlett-Packard .
Resident Consultant Contract
Functioned as the onsite EMC Resident, responsible for auditing the design and maintenance of a multi-terabyte, multi-location, multi-billion dollar utility company. Worked with Hitachi 9900V and EMC Symmetrix arrays, McData switches and directors and varieties of Unix and Windows in a core/edge topology. Evaluated and implemented new vendor hardware and software solutions. Acted as the liaison between the client ERCOT and the vendor EMC .
Senior Engineer promotion
Senior member of a 12-member SAN team for a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical corporation. Responsible for high availability storage for more than 200 SAN connected hosts, including varieties of Unix, Windows and mainframes, to storage arrays at local and remote sites, across more than 24 HP and EMC arrays. Responsible for more than 80 Brocade switches and directors at local and remote sites, in multiple fabrics. Presented a variety of storage to hosts using HP Command View EVA/XP or EMC's ECC, grouping/ungrouping on the HP EVA's, as well as zoning on the switches using the Java-based and command line interface. Managed and troubleshot a multi-hop EMC replication environment. Performed switch code upgrades on arrays and switches. Migrated hosts from EMC Symmetrix to HP XP1024 arrays, as well as reclaimed the EMC storage. Performed storage troubleshooting via the command line interface on arrays, switches and hosts. Utilized third party tools to manage, troubleshoot and design the SAN environment. Functioned as project manager for storage projects. Responsible for maintaining the department and storage request website on the corporate intranet with Microsoft FrontPage. Streamlined the procurement and connectivity processes, and developed Microsoft Access databases to manage them. Trained and supervised other SAN team members. Documented SAN environment and tools. Validated the SAN infrastructure per FDA requirements. Promoted from Engineer to Senior Engineer within 12 months for exemplary performance.
Project lead for the transition of multiple insourced systems into the corporate data center, including the evaluation of the client's existing infrastructure. Responsible for the overall management, maintenance and administration of systems. Administered training and ongoing education to systems management personnel, as well as evaluated skills and acted as team lead. Screened, evaluated and participated with the hiring decisions for full-time and contract personnel. Provided 24/7 third-level technical support to outsourced customer and CSX systems management.