Hands-on senior electrical engineer with extensive experience in analog and digital circuit design. Full life cycle design background including switch mode power supply design, charger design, printed circuit board layout, prototype builds, testing and production. Experience in analyzing, interpreting and troubleshooting electronic circuits.
- DC-DC Converters
- Switch Mode Power Supply Design
- Linear/Switch Mode Chargers
- Analog and Digital Design
- Embedded Controls
- Magnetics Design
- Control Loop Stabilization
- Filter Design
- PCB layout
- Mentor Graphics
- Microsoft Project
- Microsoft Office
- C and C++
Confidential | Mount Prospect, IL | 08/2010 – 12/2010
- Designed, fabricated, modified and evaluated hardware/software for new and existing battery charging products.
- Managed product development process from idea generation, prototyping, production to product discontinuation.
- Assembled, tested and debugged prototypes.
- Tested and verified design conformity to domestic safety agency.
- Evaluated manufacturing processes and process capability, verified accuracy of BOMs and assembly drawings and scheduled/facilitated design reviews.
Designed the following chargers:
Projects included design, selection of components, simulation, PCB layout, prototyping, testing and preparation for production. Performed full evaluation and data analysis on the charger/power supply projects. The chargers were designed with algorithm to customize the battery temperature, battery voltage, charge current, time and status display parameters. The chargers consisted of a Power Board (Flyback SMPS) and a control borad. The flyback design was offline with an output of 12V, 3A.
- Single Battery Charger/Jumpstarter
- Dual Battery Charger/Jumpstarter
- Single Battery Charger/Jumpstarter with Inverter
Confidential | Mount Prospect, IL | 06/2001- 03/2010
Implemented charger and switch mode power supply designs from concept stage through production. Member of cross-functional team during the project life cycle. Projects included design, selection of components, simulation, PCB layout, prototyping, testing and preparation for production. Performed full evaluation and data analysis on the charger and power supply projects.
Designed the following projects:
- 10.8V Lithium Ion 1 hour switch mode charger.
- 7.2V Lithium Ion 1 hour switch mode charger.
- 12V NiCad 3 hour charger.
- 4.8V NiCad charger 3 hour charger.
- Offline Flyback converter with an output of 9.6V, 10A. Design included power component selection, magnetic design, feedback loop compensation and voltage control.
- Quickly troubleshooted problems and offered low cost solutions to meet requirements of minimal operating budget.
- Coordinated shared resources to keep projects on schedule for start of production (SOP).
- Attended monthly project review meetings to discuss my project schedule.
- Led projects through prototype, pre-pilot, pilot and production stages.
- Worked with Chinese engineers and suppliers.
- Traveled to China on business.
- Surface mount and through hole component selection.
- Printed circuit board layout.
- Worked with component suppliers to meet design requirements and cost objectives.
- Experienced with UL regulatory agencies.
- Set goals and objectives for the engineering test lab.
- Held annual performance reviews for the lab associates.
- Created engineering lab budget.
- Managed technical staff to complete scheduled testing and fixture development.
- Continued my non-managerial responsibilities of Project Engineer.
Confidential | Mount Prospect, IL | 02/2000 - 06/2001
Power Supply Design Engineer
Designed switch mode and linear regulator power supplies. Involved in power supply projects from concept stage through production. Projects included design, selection of components, simulation, PCB layout, prototyping, testing and preparation for production. Performed full evaluation and data analysis on the power supply projects. Designs included power component selection. Designed the following power supplies from concept stage through production:
- Forward converter design with an input range of 36V to 72V, outputs of 3.3V, 5V and 7.2V and 10A. Design included magnetic design, feedback loop compensation, voltage control and current limiting.
- Linear regulator design could both source and sink 5A.
- DC-DC non-synchronous buck converter design with an input of 2.5V, output of 1.5V, 3.2A.
Confidential | Buffalo Grove, IL | 06/1999 - 02/2000
Electrical Design Engineer
- Provided solutions to problems in previous designs for biomedical equipment.
- Assisted technicians on production floor.
Confidential | Racine, WI | 01/1997- 06/1999
- Designed test boards for electronic stress screening equipment.
- Assisted technicians on production floor.
Confidential | Milwaukee, WI | 1996
Electrical Engineering Internship
- Worked on power supply projects on an engineering team.
- Performed various testing techniques and procedures.
Experienced with oscilloscopes, digital multi-meters, power analyzers, dynamometers, electronic loads, signal generators, function generators, spectrum analyzers, frequency response analyzers, digital analyzers
AMA Project Management Course, PLC Training, Annual Power Supply Seminars, Mentor Graphics Training, LabView training, Problem Solving Course, Microsoft Project Course, Presentation Skills Course, Managing Effective Relationships with Chinese Engineers (MERCE) Training, Time to Market Training
Bachelor of Science
Major: Electrical Engineering