PROFILE & QUALIFICATIONS
I am a driven, innovative leader that enjoys the challenge of transforming industries with technology. I have managed large platform development projects, and have a deep, hands - on technology background. I am able to communicate effectively with stakeholders and customers to understand their needs and formulate focused strategies. I aim to establish clear direction for quickest, incremental, market deliverables while maintaining a long-term, holistic vision for a company’s technology and product strategy.I take great pride in and ownership of my work and use a hands-on approach - leading from the front - with personal accountability for outcomes.
- 13+ years of Microsoft stack management; Windows Server, Exchange Server, SQL Server configuration and management, Active Directory, Global Policy, scripting, security, file & print services, Terminal Server, Distributed File System/File Replication
- 13+ years of database development; capacity planning, high-availability configuration, monitoring and management; strong T-SQL skills including data modeling with normal forms, indexed and partitioned views, federated/sharded databases, stored procedures, reporting, with a focus on OLTP, more recently with MSSQL, MySQL, and MongoDB
- Exposure to various ERP/CRM systems in varying levels of detail: MADIC, KEA, Onyx, Great Plains, Dynamics, other Oracle-based systems, and business familiarity with ISO and PCI certification processes.
Confidential, Boston, MA
Technology Platform Manager
- As a central pivot point for numerous cross-functional teams working on Cengage’s flagship online learning platform, I coordinate and lead a number of strategic initiatives at a given moment, meeting current business needs and continuously adapting and evolving to stay in tune with - and in many cases define - the future roadmap of the company.
- From early planning stages through to implementation and deployment, I work with various product owners, engineers, project managers, and other cross-functional team members to estimate, establish, and manage a project’s scope, budget, and schedule as it relates to the overall platform roadmap and the company’s long-term strategic business objectives. At times, this may require researching and evaluating emerging technologies, working with and managing third-party engineering vendors or learning tool partners, and working with other company Technology Platform Managers to share knowledge gained and coordinate and mitigate inter-platform conflicts and dependencies.
- At all times, I provide leadership for the numerous platform teams by communicating the company’s and platform’s high-level direction, keeping the momentum and engagement of those teams strong, and driving improvements to our processes to insure the highest levels of productivity, quality, and both customer and employee satisfaction.
- I currently manage over 60 software developers, architects, and analysts, directly and indirectly, and participate in interviewing most new engineering, quality assurance, project management and business analyst candidates intended to work on the MindTap platform’s many teams, our goal being to cultivate a truly world-class software development organization and to foster an atmosphere of ownership and pride where every employee understands the value of their contribution to the company.
Confidential, Boston, MA
Software Engineering Manager
- As a hands-on software development player-coach, I was responsible for managing, guiding, and growing a team of top-notch software developers in support of Confidential ’s online products in a highly collaborative, cross-functional, and matrixed team environment. I worked with other managers and product delivery leaders to ensure that team and project needs were met, and that our joint teams were ultimately crafting the future software products that would transform the online education experience.
- We reinforce Agile best-practices such as Test-Driven-Development, Pair-Programming, meeting Safety-Checks, and Retros so that our engineers could be empowered to deliver quality software with predictable velocity. We foster an atmosphere of confidence, communication, and constant improvement so that great ideas - no matter where they originate - are socialized and implemented to bring value to our teams.
Confidential, Boston, MA
Software Developer IV
- As a member of a world-class software development organization, I worked in a collaborative Agile environment to create innovative teaching, learning and research solutions for the higher education market.
- My work centered on the MindTap online platform, adding and enhancing features, performance, and security.
- Notable project: implementing IMS Global’s LTI specification for integrating third-party online learning applications within the MindTap platform.
Confidential, Westborough, MA
Lead System Architect/Web Developer
- Upgraded and reconfigured production server hardware to eliminate single points of failure utilizing best-practice RAID configurations specific to individual applications.
- Reconfigured Microsoft server technologies to improve efficiency and security.
- Launched refreshes of web site and customer portal, bringing major improvements in usability, presentation, and cross-browser compatibility
- Redesigned SQL data schemas and stored procedures to improve performance and reduce database footprint. Configured failover SQL servers in the event of hardware failure.
- Configured and maintained routing, security, site-to-site and end-user VPNs, and Quality-of-Service for VoIP phone system on Cisco PIX devices (501, 515).
Confidential, Milford, MA
Information Technology and Web Development Consultant
- Provide support to consumers and small-to-medium sized businesses in all aspects of information technology, including network planning and design, desktop and server maintenance and configuration, web site development and hosting, email hosting, disaster-recovery planning, solution right-sizing and “IT Sanity Checking.”
Confidential, Shrewsbury, MA
Chief Technology Officer
- Served as chief technology officer for one of the largest real estate information technology companies in the country. Reporting to the CEO and board, spearheaded the development and managed the technical operation of New England’s largest real estate multiple listing service, serving over 30,000 real estate professionals and over 200,000 consumers daily.
- Managed five direct reports with an overall staff of 15-20, and an annual technology budget of up to $2M, including staff, data provider relationships, technology vendors, hardware, software, and data-center purchases.
- Met regularly with customers and partners to ensure their satisfaction and to help identify new business opportunities, then worked with senior leadership to research, develop, and create plans for new market and product initiatives.
- Drove SDLC processes, standards, and best practices (Scrum, XP) and participated in corporate disaster recovery planning, external security reviews, PCI compliance
Director of Information Technology
- Assigned to serve as information technology leader for over 15,000 statewide customers and oversee the management of all on-site computer systems, servers, software standards, and product research.
- Steered IT direction and assembled IT staff. Reported to the CEO.
Confidential, Hopkinton, MA
Information Technology Specialist
- Supported multi-site infrastructure and network hardware / software utilized by more than 300 end-users in multiple worldwide offices, including individual remote users using Checkpoint firewalls & VPN configurations, T1 and frame-relay connections, Microsoft and Novell networks, Onyx ERP, and other workgroup-enabled software.
Software Engineer - Confidential
Manufacturing Engineering Technician
- Served as member of a team tasked with developing the company’s flagship laboratory automation robotics system, Allegro. Participated in hardware configuration development, network design, and graphical user interface design as well as graphic design and animation programming.