Experienced Manager in the chemical industry specializing in Research and Development, Analytical Chemistry and Quality Management. Consistent record of increasing responsibility with a strong aptitude for leading employees to success both for the company and their personal careers.
Confidential, A manufacturer of polyurethanes, sealants and adhesives, mortars and epoxy products serving industrial, construction and automotive markets. A $500 million division of Sika AG ($3billion revenue).
Managed a team of 8 ( 2 PhDs, 3 chemists and 3 technicians) in developing, maintaining and domesticating polyurethane (PU) sealants and adhesive formulas Sika's major markets. -Leader of 3 product market introduction teams. These teams included marketing, technical service, operations and quality disciplines (total sales $180 MM).
- Successfully launched Sika USA's first Direct Glazing PU for an Automotive OEM ($2MM) In compliance with Ford specifications including DFMEA, APQP, PPAP and all technical requirements.
- Developed a line of wood floor bonding adhesives ($2MM).
- Completed multiple cost reduction programs through raw material and formula adjustments ($3MM).
- Developed a wide variety of new products for all of Sika's markets ($30MM).
- Maintained and domesticated products in order to rapidly introduce new products to market.
- Managed research projects in order to enhance the technical expertise of the R & D group.
- Instrumental in problem solving and supporting process issues and start-ups in production.
- Responsible for coordinating all Toxic Substance Control Act (TSCA) activities in Sika USA.
With a group of four developed mortars and grouts for the concrete repair market ($35MM).
- Leader of the market introduction team .
- Introduced two fast setting repair mortars in order to compete in DOT projects ($2MM sales).Produced a unique grout for segmental bridge construction ($1.5MM).
- Supported manufacturing during product introduction.
A project leader for the R & D team also responsible for all TSCA activities and analytical services
Provided analytical service to Technical Service Department and R & D for customer complaint resolution.
Project leader of Sika's most successful after market windshield repair adhesive ($10MM).
Purchased various analytical instruments.
Quality Systems Manager (1993-2001)
- Achieved ISO-9001/2 Certification for all four USA facilities by developing, implementing and maintaining through auditing an efficient and effective common Quality System, and upgraded the system to QS-9000 automotive standards which included FMEA
- Reduced polyurethane sealant scrap from 0.8% to 0.05% by incorporating prevention,
control of batch formula, and process control in the plant by using SPC (Cp and Cpk), Gage R & R, Problem Solving, error proofing and other Quality improvement techniques.
- Reduced finished good inventory by $1.3MM and improved product availability by minimizing testing and paper throughput by 5 days.
- Developed, organized and managed electronic customer complaint process and return policy which responds to customers within 24 hours.
- Initiated statistical process control and analysis in the plant.
Quality Control Manager (1991-1993)
- Restructured the Quality Control Department to increase efficiency from 0.9 to 1.6 samples per hour.
- Designed and implemented a system to reduce non-conforming products from 8% to < 1%. Introduced to Sika Total Quality Management Tools (TQM) leading to various quality teams including a Customer Complaint System and problem solving still in use.
Confidential,1981-1990 Nutley NJ
A manufacturer of precious metal and electronic electroplating processes. A $20MM division of Occidental Petroleum, a Fortune 500 metal and mining company with annual revenues of $2.3 billion
Quality Assurance Manager (1989-1990)
- Developed a Quality system to meet military standards.
- Improved on time shipping rates from 75% to 98%.
- Reduced product adjustment rates from 20% to 8%.
Managed 9 analytical chemists in customer sample analysis, quality control and analytical R & D.
improved Sample Turnaround time from 75% in 3 days to 97% in 2 days.
Confidential, A major manufacturer of copier toners and photographic chemicals.
Analyzed competitor's products and developed various test procedures.
Master of Business Administration, Management in the Chemical
Master of Science, Chemistry, Instrumental Analysis,
Bachelor of Arts, Chemistry,