- A solutions oriented senior level Health Information Technology Professional with extensive experience encompassing all areas of healthcare operations, process improvement, quality improvement, systems implementations, regulatory & compliance, and documentation and training. Over twenty years in the industry directing and managing large, complex, and multi phased projects; leading large cross functional teams through multimillion dollar initiatives.
- Developed educational tools for all types of eligible professionals, healthcare executives, office staff, IT professionals and the community regarding the ARRA/HITECH act promoting the “meaningful use” of electronic health records and related technologies. Trained the new Healthcare workforce in upcoming roles including; Implementation support specialists, Analysts, implementation managers and technical support staff.
- Developed the “Coding and EDI Connection” Workshops for a major Medicaid Managed Care company, educating the Provider community on appropriate billing and coding practices. Developed and integrated the curriculum for transition to 5010 and ICD - 10
- Lead successful completion of a gap analysis for 004010 to 005010 migration for Medicaid Managed Care Health Plan
- Developed budget, strategy and migration plan for Health Plan transition to 5010 HIPAA standard transaction sets
- Developed and delivered proposals and presentations to Sr. Executive teams focused on government mandates including 5010 and ICD-10
- Developed Organizational strategy and migration plan for Health Plan transition to ICD 10 CM and PCS
- Developed strategies and educated providers on the use of the electronic health record as a tool in the prevention and management of chronic conditions in order to improve patient outcomes
- Managed Staff assuring all project deadlines were met; implemented corrective action plans when necessary
- Consulted with EHR Vendors; guiding them through the Federal Governments meaningful use requirements. Provided live feedback to demo systems in order to optimize performance of the EHR’s and gain buy-in from the provider community as well as certification from CCHIT.
- Conducted process and workflow analyses, identified areas of deficiency in medical practices, and made recommendations to effect strategies for process redesign in order to optimize efficiency, improve outcomes and meet meaningful use objectives
- Completed hundreds of IT projects through the complete lifecycle on a multitude of Clinical Information Systems, Hospital Information Systems, Behavioral Health Systems, Surgical Information Systems, Materials Management Information Systems and Lab Information Systems throughout the US and Canada. Project venues included; Hospitals - inpatient - outpatient - behavioral health & ancillaries. Projects also included physician practices and small clinics. Projects supported multiple applications on various platforms across the continuum of care
- Designed and created high level tool kits aimed at providing a road-map type of approach for hospitals to utilize during the strategic planning of IT initiatives. Components of the tool kit gained National recognition, selected by HRSA for use in a nationally distributed toolkit for HIT planning
- Authored the Journal of AHIMA article, “Small Practice Big Decision, selecting an EHR system for Small Physician Practices”
- Designed tool kits and methodologies to assist small to mid sized physician practices with the adoption and implementation of Electronic Health Record applications
- Designed the presentation for the MSSNY lecture series “Taking HIT to the Next Level”, conducted the lecture series 6 sessions per year
- Former member of New York State eHealth Collaborative Policy and Operations Council, sub workgroup chair
- Implemented EHR and e-Prescribing initiatives in multiple environments
Acute Care Solutions: Allscripts ED, PCS Materials Management Software (now Eclypsis), Lawson, Materials and Accounting Software, Lawson Materials and Accounting, IDX Admissions, Clinical, Financial (TES, BAR) and Scheduling, Sunrise Surgical, Sunrise Anesthesia, Sunrise Lab System, Siemens Products including Invision ADT, OAS Gold, HDX, EAD/MPI and Eagle Patient Accounting
Long Term Care Solutions: ADL Data Systems Long Term Care Software; financial & clinical
Ambulatory Care EHR & PM Solutions: McKesson Practice Partner, Allscripts Healthmatics PM & EHR, EncounterPro EHR, eClinical Works PM/EHR, Centricity/Logitian PM/EHR, Sage Intergy, Soapware EHR, Medsoft MPM, Medi-Soft, & Medical Manager
Home Care & Behavioral Health Applications: HCIS, Home Care Billing and Scheduling software, CMHC, Behavioral Health, CSM, Behavioral Health Practice Management Suite of Products including the EMR Clinician Workstation
Mainframe Applications: American Health Care, IDX, Barrister and EMS Computer Aided Dispatch Systems.
Claims Adjudication: Facets v 4.61, 4.81, Facets HIPAA Gateway
Confidential, Bronx, New York
- Strategic and tactical planning for implementation and compliance with the State and Federal Healthcare Reform mandates including Health Insurance Exchange, Patient Centered Medical Homes, Dual Eligibles, and Health Information Exchange.
- Developed and Directed ICD 10 Program Management office for the ICD 10 transformation program.
- Gained organizational buy-in for multiple regulatory initiatives; created and lead cross functional steering committees for 5010 and ICD 10 Programs. Member of Policy Tiger Team for NYS DOH APD Project and HEAL 10 Advisory Council.
- This was a new department; hired, trained and managed staff of Project Managers, Developers, Coders and Analysts.
Confidential, Bronx, New York
- Provided strategies and direction for the electronic business services for a large Medicaid Managed Care Health Plan.
- Direct EDI operations for inbound and outbound transactions.
- Conceptualized and implemented the “Coding and the EDI Connection Workshop” series, educating providers and their staff in the proper rules and regulations of billing and coding in order for them to submit clean claims and streamline the adjudication process.
- Work closely with Sr. Executive Team to build a strategic plan for Electronic Data Interchange initiatives including; Gateway Migration, Paper to electronic 837, 835 remittance, 270/271 eligibility, transition from 4010 to 5010, ICD-10 Conversion, and electronic Medicaid applications and the development of a custom member/provider transaction portal solution in order to provide easy access to claims, benefits and eligibility information.
Confidential, Kings Park, New York
Health Information Technology Consultant & Project DirectorResponsibilities:
- Provided Project leadership and guidance for the Samaritan Physicians Organization Physicians, the only Long Island Awardees of the Medical Society of the State of New York HIT Grant to implement Electronic Health Records in 9 Practices for 32 Clinicians.
- Gathered all pre-implementation checklist information for each site including all practice identifiers, CLIA, NDC, DEA, Payer ID’s, Service types, procedure codes, ICD codes, modifiers, etc.
- Developed conversion plan and gathered all patient data required to complete all data migrations for each site. Created all output sheets.
- Worked closely with client and vendor to build the clinical templates, Chief complaint list, Exam lists, Review of Systems, Physical exam templates, schedule types, etc .
- Coordinated all training and attended all training sessions.
- In addition to working for the Samaritan Physicians I also provided consultative services to Medical Practices on all aspects of Practice Management including the EHR Roadmap from Assessment to Quality Improvement.
Confidential, Lake Success, NY
SENIOR EHR IMPLEMENTATION ADVISOR/PROJECT DIRECTORResponsibilities:
- Collaborated with DOQ-IT Teams nationwide to develop curriculum to effectively educate physician practices on the benefits of Health Information Technology. Delivering lectures on HIT adoption and the HIT roadmap.
- Development and administration of practice assessments and workflow evaluations
- Conducting site visits to medical offices; evaluate existing processes for re-engineering opportunities
- Conducting and coordinating EHR vendor demonstrations both at the Confidential offices and physicians offices
- Providing technical assistance to practices with vendor selection, project planning and contract negotiations
- Providing integral advice to practices on formatting, designing and building relevant clinical content into the EHR system
- Working closely with providers on transformational change process. Assist providers in developing key strategies to implement technology into their practice in order to enhance provider/patient communication, improve the quality of care delivered and improve operational efficiencies.
- Coordination of conferences and events for organization as well as the community, i.e. HIMSS PACT conference; coordinated sponsorship, marketing, and all related activities
- Developed and conducted presentations for medical societies, physician organizations and community groups on DOQ-IT and the value of adoption
- Evaluation of vendor applications for compliance with CCHIT, HIPAA, HL7, X12, and all relevant SDO’s in order to provide recommendations for appropriate solutions to physicians
- Attendance at many national events, including HIMSS 06’ Connecting Communities, HIMSS 07’, AHIMA events, and the KDP learning sessions conducted by LUMETRA the lead Quality Improvement Organization.
- Managed the 8th SOW CMS funded Health Information Technology project and Web forum for 31 participating New York Hospitals
- Designed and facilitated a conference call series designed for hospitals to educate the HIT teams on the “How to’s of implementing CPOE, Bar-Coding and Telemedicine projects in the Acute Care Setting”
- Coordinated all activities, monitored deliverables and developed management reports required for the HIT project.
- Submitted all deliverables to Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services as required under the CMS contract on time and within budget
- Conducted coaching sessions with IT leaders at various hospitals in order to assist them in HIT project planning and strategizing
Confidential, Islip, New York
Senior IT Project DirectorResponsibilities:
- Managed multi-million dollar project implementations for Creative’s Practice Management/Billing, EHR and Clinical applications, including the integration of the Wiley Treatment Plan templates.
- Managed all phases of the implementation process including; task assignment, contract review, data analysis, budget issues, monthly billing, resource utilization management, milestone tracking and conversion issues.
- Supervised and directed activities of all team members including developers associated with each project. Managed and directed staff of greater than 40 employees.
IS Senior Project Manager & Acting Director of Information Technology
- Coordinated & facilitated project implementations at both the Bronx and Westchester facilities.
- Managed MIS department staff including Network Administrators and telecommunications staff.
- Coordinated daily monitoring of major application vendors, including; ADL Clinical and Financial systems and Simplex Time and Attendance.