PMP certified and CSM certified Senior Project Manager and IT Manager with 25 years of experience in progressively responsible positions and over 14 years of experience in being a change agent and improving IT organizations through executing standards and processes, effective project management, and effective change management. Transformed high - turnover, ad hoc teams and departments to stable, scalable “high performance teams”. Experienced in Agile development and waterfall development.
IT Leadership, Scrum, Agile development, Sr. Project Management, Creating and Implementing Processes and Procedures, Change Agent, Change Management, Scalable Departments, MS-Project, RUP, Niku Clarity, ClearQuest, ClearCase, HP Quality Center, WBS, EVM (Earned Value Management), Data Warehouse, Full life cycle development, Use Cases, Requirements Traceability Matrix, PCI, SharePoint
- Managed the development of the Accounting Modernization Project.
- Replaced a legacy accounting system with new technology running C#, SSRS and SSIS.
- The major tools used were Sharepoint, Project Server, Confidential and HP Quality Center for defect tracking.
- Managed a $6M modernization project to modernize the Accounting system developed for crop insurance.
- Implemented an agile spiral methodology to be used in this effort.
Technologies: MS-Project 2010, Project Server, Sharepoint, Confidential, HP Quality Center, MS-Office, Windows 7
- Managed the IT and help desk projects. Mainframe, web and phone infrastructure was being replaced and upgraded due to out-of-support and inadequate systems and software to support growing environment.
- The major tools used were Sharepoint, MS-Project and Confidential (Team Foundation Services) to manage the SDLC, and FrontRange for issue tracking and production support.
- Managed a $10M complete IT overhaul to provide disaster recovery capabilities, update all software and replace 140 physical servers with 16VMs running on Blades.
Technologies: MS-Project 2010, Sharepoint, Confidential, FrontRange, MS-Office, Windows 7
Sr. Project Manager
- Managed the ODI development, BI development, ODI administration, BI administration and SSIS development teams for the enterprise data warehouse.
- Implemented the agile methodology on the high priority data warehouse projects.
- Managed contractors from multiple vendors on the teams.
- The major tools used were JIRA for managing the backlogs and aligning tasks to sprints, MS-Project to manage the SDLC, and ClearQuest for issue tracking and production support.
- Implemented the Scrum methodology for the high-priority projects on the enterprise data warehouse.
- Managed the ODI and SSIS development and administration teams for the enterprise data warehouse.
Technologies: MS-Project 2007, JIRA, ClearQuest, ODI, OBIEE, EPM 11, MS-Office, Windows XP, Oracle
Sr. Project Manager
- Managed development of the rule engine and the ETL for the data warehouse for the redesign, and conversion of the unemployment insurance system from a mainframe-based system to a Siebel-based system.
- Managed contractors from multiple vendors on each system performing the development in an agile environment.
- The major tool used was EPMLive to manage the tasks, document the user stories, organize the feature backlog, release backlog and burn-down charts in the agile environment.
- ClearQuest is used for issue tracking and production support.
- Led development of the ETL team responsible for the scripts for creation and maintenance of the Oracle data warehouse used for the Siebel implementation.
- Led development of the OPA rule engine which is the first implementation in the USA to integrate this version of the OPA rule engine with this version of the Siebel implementation.
Technologies: EPMLive, ClearQuest, MS-Office, Windows 7, ETL, OPA, Oracle
Sr. Project Manager
- Managed development of systems designed for supply chain management.
- Managed multiple vendors on each system performing the development in an agile environment.
- The major tool used was MS-Project to manage the tasks, and Rally to document the user stories and organize the feature backlog, release backlog and burn-down charts in the agile environment.
- Managed development of a very high visibility, major cost-saving system to track high-priority parts through the entire supply chain, interfacing with several other systems.
- Managed development of 3 warehouse applications in an agile environment to track parts and the shipment of those parts.
Technologies: MS-Project 2002/2003, Rally, MS-Office, Windows XP, Java, SQL Server
Sr. Project Manager
- Led team of architects, developers and QA personnel for systems used by the Payment and Risk Management Department of the Confidential to fulfill Confidential obligations legislated by US Congress. Instrumental in creating PMO processes and procedures used by the Kansas City office of Confidential .
- Responsible for creating processes and templates for the Change Management Plan and the Configuration Management Plan.
- Managed the complete SDLC used by the federal government on software projects.
- The methodology used was agile, utilizing scrum.
- The major tool used was MS-Project to manage the tasks, and Excel to document and organize the feature backlog, release backlog and burn-down charts in the agile environment.
- The issue tracking system was ClearQuest.
- Developed processes and procedures used for change management and configuration management for the creation of a new PMO for the Kansas City office of Confidential using the Scrum methodology.
- Envisioned and managed the development of a ‘core payments team’ used by 6 different payment systems which reduced development work for a payment system by 60%.
- Interviewed, hired and staffed 20 resources in 3 months for this successful development effort.
- Managed projects ranging from 6,000 hours to 13,000 hours.
Technologies: MS-Project 2002/2003, RUP, ClearQuest, ClearCase, MS-Office, Windows XP, Java, SQL Server
- Performed IT management of the technical team and department.
- This included software, hardware, wireless network installations, system development, QA and support.
- My goals were to establish and implement a project management methodology consistent with the Confidential, make the IT team scalable, remove “barriers” with the sales team, and improve revenues from the technical services team.
- Achieved all goals within 15 months.
- Developed a new PMO consisting of new processes, procedures, development of a support team, new templates, a standard methodology and status reporting that all projects moved through. The project management processes were Confidential -compliant, and very welcomed among the senior management, internal staff and clients.
- The development methodology used was agile, including scrum, iterative development, pair programming, just in time design, formal gating between project phases, formal close-out activities, weekly status reporting with EVM and project forecasting.
- This small business (~20 employees) company is the regional sales leader of Motorola scanners.
- They also provide wireless network installs and software development for Windows Mobile barcode scanners for warehouses and field service operations, such as delivery drivers or utility service workers.
- Planned and formulated vision of new Project Management Office.
- Sold executive team on new Project Management Office through executive presentations, ROI, and sales team buy-in.
- Created and implemented performance tracking and SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures).
- Developed new Support department for support of the software systems.
- Planned new hardware modifications and installs to support the growing client base.
- Increased customer billing to $150K/month from the IT team for the first time in company history through effective change management and implementation of new support processes.
- Incorporated Scrum methodology, resulting in better time to market and meeting budgets and timeframes.
- Established and enforced an Agile project methodology following PMI guidelines.
- Developed a regular status reporting cycle with EVM.
- Setup and administration of the SharePoint portal.
- Reduced the support calls from eight/day to one/day.
Technologies: Windows XP/2003/2007, Sharepoint 2007, MS-Project 2002/2003, MS-Office, .NET, PHP, SQL Server
- Managed IT projects in a matrix management environment to successful completion using Assurant's standard practices, EVM, project management packages and provide accurate reporting and oversight to the oversight committee.
- Standard practices included waterfall development using Requirements Traceability Matrix (RTM), eProject, formal gating between phases, presentations to the Executive Oversight Committee and weekly status reporting with EVM.
- Additional responsibilities included working with the business analyst in definition, requirements gathering and developing the business requirements.
- The company provided insurance for employee benefit packages.
- Instituted a security initiative to encrypt hard drive on 10,000 employee laptops using WinMagic's SecureDoc system. This project had a 1 month span handed down from company executives. It was completed on time.
- Managed development of a new data warehouse for their life insurance division, saving the company $4,000,000 a year in consulting fees. This was estimated at 5,000 hours and 5 months. This was completed on-time using a team made up to all contractors.
- Redeveloped the PDLC/SDLC methodology to convert a standard waterfall project management to an Agile process. This project was completed in 3 months.
- Oversaw development of a data synchronization effort for the healthcare insurance division, to synchronize data for the quote and policy departments. This project was estimated at 9,700 hours, and it was on-time when my contract ended. I transitioned it to another project manager.
- Managed the full life cycle development and implementation of 3 projects, and managed a 4th that was on-time when my contract ended. Three of these projects were concurrent development.
Technologies: Windows XP/2003, Linux, MVS, eProject, .NET, Java, Oracle, OS/400, MS-Office, Lotus Notes
Sr. Project Manager
- Managed personnel, project, EVM and P&L for a new health care system for our clients. Created a methodology for my team to use, which was Confidential -Compliant.
- New methodology included new SOPs, processes, templates, project management documentation templates, formal gating between phases, presentations to executives, formal close-out activities and weekly status reports including EVM.
- The system included a new web server farm, including database servers, web servers and application servers providing the hardware for a 25,000 hour web development effort.
- The team consisted of 25 people, which was a combination of developers, system architects, BA and QA.
- The Early Intervention data warehouse contained medical records for 1MM children in five states, with over 10MM claim transactions every 2-3 months. The system was fully HIPAA Confidential compliant, using BizTalk with the HIPAA Accelerator.
- Implemented a Scrum methodology on a team with 25 full-time team members managing 7-8 projects concurrently.
- Managed the full life cycle of a new web-based system running on a new web farm consisting of Windows and Linux servers with full redundancy. The system was a 25,000 hour, $1,500,000 budget, web-based, time-sensitive, data warehouse system of medical records. It was fully HIPAA Confidential compliant.
- Analyzed and managed the setup of the server farm for this system. It required migrating all users to a new web system running on all new hardware consisting of web servers, presentation layer servers, business layer servers, data servers with full redundancy and “hot swappable” components.
- Supervised 25 direct reports and 49 indirect reports.
- Developed budgets ($7.7M per year), revenue forecasting and staffing requirements for my entire team.
- Converted the companies waterfall approach to use Agile methodologies, such as Scrum, iterative development, pair programming and just in time development.
- Managed 15 full development life cycle projects, ranging from 2,000 hours to 25,000 hours.
- Researched ACH formats and prepared technical specifications for creating the ACH formats for developers.
Technologies: Windows XP/NT/2000/2003, Linux, AS/400, System/36, OS/400, MVS, .NET, HTML, XML, BizTalk, Oracle, SQL Server, MS-Project 97/2002/2003 , MS-Office
Programming Supervisor/Project Manager
- Personnel and project management of an IT team developing applications for mail fulfillment in VB and FoxPro.
- My goals were to oversee the development process, and ensure accurate reporting of status and hours.
- The company provided mail order fulfillment services for the pharmaceutical industry.
- Managed development of 5 projects concurrently, and a team of 5 developers.
- Supervised an initiative in upgrading the company to 32-bit operating system and getting new software such as Visual Basic 5.0, saving 200 hours on the average-sized project.
- Created a project standards committee, which resulted in written standards, better code and quicker turnaround on new projects.
Technologies: Windows NT, OS/2, System/36, Project Workbench, VB, FoxPro, MS-Office