- DevOps at Confidential, Citrix, Expeditors, Veritas, Financial using gitlab, GitHub, webhooks, Git, AWS and Azure
- Software developer - Python, Perl, PHP. C and C++ GOLang. Eclipse IDE. Agile environment with gitlab and GitHub source code control.
- Data Center Architect Presales - Complete Datacenter lifecycle - RFP’s Networking, Compute, Storage and Datacenter.
- Storage Architecture: Best practices utilizing current storage technologies from multi-tier vendors for NAS, SAN, iSCSI deployments. EMC, Confidential, Hitachi, Raw SSD’s. Storage Performance testing. Storage automation at CLI level.
- IT Data Center Architecture with full spectrum experience from proposal to build out to implementation and customer acceptance testing of Data Center and / or Cloud.
- Product Development - From Proof of Concept (POC) Development and testing to Customer Acceptance trials.
DevOPS: Puppet, Chef, Terraform, Jenkins, Chocolatey, GIT. Vmware ESXi and Vcenter 6.5 and XEN VM s.
Cloud: Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud (2017)
Development: Microsoft software stack Visual Studio 2017, Eclipse (Neon) on Linux with Perl, Python and PHP
Hardware: Dell, HP, ZT physical servers. ILO, iDRAC and out of band management. Server prod with PXEboot
Storage: EMC Vmax, VNX, Oracle ZFS Appliance, Various Confidential . Hitachi.
- Monitor Storage, Compute, Networking and Applications with Splunk.
- Wrote Python program to create BMC Remedy tickets on demand from Splunk Alerts
- Writing Python automation modules to allocate extra storage for simple storage incidents.
- Finished Splunk automation Alerts for sending XML remediation code to Application teams.
- Integrating Golang email client and server to handle automatic creation of BMC Remedy tickets from email.
- Decomposition of Business Logic deployed as WAR file to microservices.
- Build Docker images of existing critical monolithic business applications including JVM and war file contents
- Build out of Kubernetes POC with focus on running JVM’s and critical Apps with desired state specification.
- Evaluation of Mesos for running JVM’s and critical BI apps in a fault tolerant infrastructure.
- Eliminaton of F5 load balancer by use of virtual load balancer and networking (POC)
- Introduction of Chef automation to business unit(s).
Python and Chef
Confidential, Cupertino, CA
- Evaluate security concerns in Apps Pods under Kubernetes
- Apply chef automation Python Scripts to secure Confidential infrastructure via recipes and Yubikey and pem
- Wrote Python automating Username and PW rotation on Dell iDrac, Cisco UCS and VMware ESXi 6.5
- Audit Automation accounts in LDAP to determine if the account can be decommissioned.
Confidential, Culver City, CA
- Implemented hands off installation of Symantec End Point Manager via Chocolatey and Puppet to Azure Cloud
- Terraform scripting of Azure Roles in a Microsoft Server environment.
- Merges into Git repository of puppet code for EVCloud infrastructure deployment.
- Lift and shift migration of entire EVCloud product from 5 data centers to Azure Cloud.
- Mentoring and analysis of project management practices and go forward plans for cutover to Azure.
Confidential, San Francisco CA
- Wrote Python code to pull daily usage from Dynatrace API
- Wrote Splunk Dashboards to display Dynatrace data in stacked column and table form
- Wrote PowerShell code to utilize Azure CLI 2.0.5 to create VM’s and alerts and templates.
- Created VM’s, Storage Accounts in Azure for SUSE Linux and Windows 2016 Datacenter Server.
- Created reports with Python code to pull statistics from Azure including VM’s, Storage Accounts and Alerts.
Confidential, Seattle, WA
- Complete Chef Devops lifecycle.
- Wrote Chef recipes to deploy Java apps from Nexus repository
- Wrote PowerShell automated installer using Chocolatey to install Chef Devops workstation on PC’s
- Optimized Chef builds using SSD and Megaraid SSD RAID 0 array for faster Chef Cookbook builds.
Confidential, Sunnyvale CA
- Build Engineer for e-comm servers - Redhat, Centos and Ubuntu Linux.
- Wrote puppet scripts for deployment of ongoing Linux components for Openstack deployment.
- Wrote Ansible scripts to deploy Puppet agents to newly created servers.
- Wrote Ansible scripts to provide BIOS settings over iLO
- Wrote Ansible scripts to provide Puppet verification of proper completed puppet software pushes.
- Automation of Redhat Satellite Server Provisioning
- Analysis of existing network management topology - move to CMDB push architecture.
- GOLang prototyping for distributed Linux provisioning.
Devops Puppet / Chef / Python tools / Storage
Confidential, Sunnyvale, CA
- Responsible for 27,000 physical servers worldwide. Provision with Puppet and chef
- Wrote Puppet recipes to deploy new application components for mapping team
- Wrote Ansible yml scripts to deploy Puppet agents.
- Monitor 27,000 servers with Zabbix. Set up Zabbix Templates and alerts.
- Write custom monitoring scripts in Python.
- Security - use Ansible to patch Oracle Linux to pass security scans.
- Resolve all LDAP and Networking problems in multiple worldwide locations.
- Audit Splunk installation for Compute, Network and Confidential Storage.
- Install Splunk apps for Juniper and Cisco network monitoring. Custom configure apps.
- Wrote alerts for critical F5 load balance monitoring for NOC teams.
- Created Network error monitoring for Splunk realtime dashboards.
- Corrected Splunk Indexing storage NFS mount problems and sourcetype issues with regex.
- Interface Splunk with EMC VMAX and VNX snmp data for storage performance monitoring.
Confidential, San Diego, CAProject Manager
- Develop on demand build system using Linux, curl and Python for building off shore software to on shore
- Managed HP and Dell Compellent Storage Arrays attached to VMware server farm.
- Managed migration from older Dell/EMC arrays to EMC VNX
- Assist build team with Jenkins. Introduce Puppet for provisioning new systems.
- Build out of in house cloud for security analysis of new threat signatures.
- Evaluation of AWS and Azure cloud based computing platforms for customer deployments.
- Built in house cloud provisioning system as AWS / Azure too expensive.
- Perl and PHP scripts written to automate build system on multiple AWS cloud based Linux hosts.
- Product development on XEN based security appliance for custom code fixes in C++.
- Analysis of EMC custom VNX and Isilon monitoring script at Confidential in Seattle
- Generation of security certificates to enable SSL encrypted path for data exchange
- Test of custom Confidential generated dash board written in C# with new certificates.
Confidential, Boulder COProject Manager
- Mapping storage performance of cache based Confidential storage with fio and vdbench
- Running storage performance tests and graphing with Gnuplot and Excel
- Created automated Perl test harness for automated storage performance testing
- Working on Linux Driver caching solution using SSD’s. Building installable .ko
- Testing Caching performance against Facebook cache.
- Build Engineer - Linux device drivers for storage cache testing, gmake w/ gnu software stacks
- Kernel Development - Bcache kernel modification. Addition of metadata for internal caching solution
- Storage performance test scripts written in Python to run continuous FIO read/write performance testing.
- Create runbooks to hand off performance testing to new Confidential hires.
- PDA group: Respond to RFP’s for customer storage configurations for a GO/NO-GO decision
- Test Compellent Storage designs in Lab with IOmeter and VDbench for performance
- Certify Multipathing solutions against RFP’s
- Augment RFP’s with best practices relying on vendor information
- Provide support to Field Engagements to promote sales process.
- Answer any questions from any field person about any Storage Issue to further a sale.
- Certified on Compellent for Top Gun Sales and Top Gun Storage Architecture
- Attended various Equallogic Seminars.
Confidential, Anaheim, CA
Storage Architecture consultant
- Senior Datacenter architect. Plan migration of 2,600 servers to two data centers
- Build “what if” scenarios with different storage platforms. Study costs and trade offs
- Interview hospital IT teams to provide background to build proposal.
- Provide input to storage section of data center green field build proposal.
- Submitted team crafted proposal as requested to Confidential ’s Hospital CTO.
- Specification of approved array vendors such as HP/3PAR, DELL, HDS, EMC
- Use Splunk to understand error conditions of app work load of apps to be migrated.
Confidential, Palo Alto, CA
- Senior Datacenter Storage Admin - Avamar setup of 600 servers of SHC for Confidential .
- Created LUNS on EMC VMAX for consumption by VMware on Cisco UCS
- Created runbooks for IDC team in India.
- Monitoring of proper operation of Avamar Backup servers with EMC on site Avamar lead.
- Day to day operations of Avamar and Networker backups as required by Confidential and SHC.
- Restores of EMC VMAX corrupted LUNS. Monitoring of Oracle Databases.
- Provisioning of EMC VMAX for day to day needs of Oracle DBA’s.
- Emergency Avamar restores of servers as required by Management and Confidential teams during migrations.
- Migration LUN creation and zoning for migrating servers and databases
- Monitored migrated servers with Splunk for operational errors and correctness.
- Setup puppet master to assist with migration to green field Cisco UCS servers.
- Create run book for Avamar backups and restores to hand to Run team.
Confidential, Redmond, WA
- Senior Datacenter Storage Admin - SAN/Servers / Address Book Application Performance testing of 1.0 and 1.2 release of Address Book Application on SAN Support of SAN infrastructure LUNS between production and backup site via SRDF.
- Response to Address Book incidents and outages Response to SAN outages including Symmetrix and VMAX production and backup sites Audit of WWN mappings on Brocade DCX switches.
- Oracle performance tuning. Storage tuning. Application and storage performance metrics.
- Day to Day storage operations with EMC VMAX.
Confidential, Bellevue, WA
- Senior Datacenter Storage Admin - SAN/Servers / Oracle / Data mining and config.
- Create Method of Procedures (MOP’s) for all changes to data center infrastructure Day to day management of EMC Symmetrix DMX’s including timefinder and SRDF.
- Zoning and configuration of Brocade DMX switches. Hold weekly meetings on all projects. Replication from an Oracle single instance to Oracle RAC under Symmetrix. Migration of Oracle instance from single to Oracle RAC with Symmetrix timefinder/mirror.
- EMC VPLEX, 3PAR metro evaluation for replication between local data centers.
- Measured storage performance with Oracle database workloads. Graph performance with Cacti monitoring tool.
- EMC V-Max migration planning from Symmetrix to VMAX via SRDF.
- Oracle DBA - looking for deadlocks with Oracle 11 instance.
Confidential, Santa Barbara, CA
- Senior Datacenter Architect - SAN refresh HDS Hitachi Storage, Brocade Director switches.
- Audit SAN - build configuration database, Manage refresh SAN fibre channel cable with MTP cable project Schedule day to day operation of Hitachi USPV and USP-VM arrays with operations resources
- Plan installation and configuration of HDvM and Storage Navigator with Hitachi resources and operations.
- Migration of Oracle 11i Databases from Hitachi USPV to EMC VMAX w/ timefinder/mirror
- Manage upgrades of 3 remote data centers with similar function Provision storage for Citrix Xen servers from HDS AMS-1000. Provision storage for Microsoft Exchange 2007/2010 from Confidential Fas filers. Brocade DCX re-zone to match new business requirements and make SAN more reliable.
- Attach of EMC/Dell CX3 arrays to Hitachi USPV for migration to HDS Modular AMS 2000 array
- Create and document storage systems. Create runbook for storage HDS
Confidential, Livermore, CA
Datacenter Storage and ESX Architect
- Senior Datacenter Architect and PM - VMware ESX Architecture and roll out. Storage refresh.
- Analysis of existing storage environment - redesign of Finisar monitoring solution. Upgrade to 8 gig Finisar monitoring pending.
- Design and deployment of Live Site Ops monitoring with SNMP connection into Confidential, Hitachi and 3PAR storage systems.
- Display of real time performance with Splunk monitoring tool.
- Rollout Splunk to external stakeholders Architecture of VMware Cluster using Virtual Center and ESX servers. Attachment to 3Par storage over iSCSI on dedicated IP network to green field VMware rollout.
- Upgrade of storage infrastructure to 8 gig SAN using Brocade 5300 class switches.
- Data Domain DD690 De-duplication systems.
- Rollout of VMware 4.0 vSphere Cluster using iSCSI on 3par 400 backend. Documentation of whole process and handoff to Live Site team.
- Splunk architecture and rollout of monitoring tool for Live Site team and data base teams See: http://jeffreyfall.com:8000 for sample. Decommission of Hitachi Lightening arrays. Upgrade to 3par 800 series
- Wrote custom Splunk Module for custom monitoring of Laser metrics and realtime feedback in Python. http://lasers.llnl.gov