To coach, mentor, lead, manage, serve, and be an integral part of Agile development teams that rapidly deliver innovative, effective and profitable web applications.
- Twenty years leading development teams: designing, building, and testing enterprise software applications and web - based e-commerce systems and services that can function as both SaaS e-commerce and as retail shrink-wrap software.
- Experienced with Agile product development processes for both startups as well as scaled enterprise-level businesses.
- I lead teams to produce cost-efficient and market-driven software that meets stakeholders’ visions and expectations.
- As a Development Manager, I manage release trains. I work across teams and silos to put together a robust continuous delivery release plan.
- I hire, retain, and mentor team managers, developers, designers, QA, and support staff, and foster a sense of ownership and pride in the team and the products.
- As a Scrum Master, I coach teams to be the best they can be, by measuring performance, working to improve productivity and velocity, removing impediments to the development process, and resolving conflicts. I ensure all teams’ sprints have clearly defined goals and that by the end of each sprint, there is an incremental version of the product that adds value to what is delivered
- As a Product Owner, I communicate efficiently between stakeholders and development team members, and ensure the backlogs really represent stakeholders’ views and visions for completed product.
- I am skilled with Agile management software, specializing in Jira. I have managed multiple Jira projects, as well as extended Jira’s capabilities by creating several customized Jira plug-ins and REST end-points.
- I am an adept object-oriented architect, with experience using various design patterns for clean, modular programs.
- I am a skilled quality assurance engineer, with experience in Selenium, Selenium Web Driver, JUnit, and Fitnesse for test automation.
- I can quickly comprehend and learn new technologies to a professional level of competency. Examples include CoffeeScript and Jira API.
Confidential, Atlanta, GA
Product Development Manager
- I ensure continuous delivery by focusing on teams continuously integrating new features and capabilities, ensuring regression issues are addressed, and releasing and deploying new builds to product management and stakeholders.
- I server as a Scrum Master for one of the teams directly. We develop an enterprise-level insurance risk and claims management platform, which is used by customers as a SaaP to build customized risk and claims applications.
- I manage several core areas of software development across multiple teams: including leading zero-defect efforts, comprehensive regression testing, and release management.
- I coach and mentor other scrum masters and managers. I instill values necessary to be successful, including mentoring, coaching, and leading. They in-turn hire, mentor, and lead development teams, with high-performance velocities, delivering and demonstrating valuable software to product owners, product managers, investors and other stakeholders.
- I work with collocated teams, and I work with Scrum Masters who manage collocated teams. I hire, mentor, and work with offshore development and quality assurance.
- I drive initiatives to create development processes that are test and behavior-driven. The primary value of Quality Assurance engineers is in writing test automation, not running an automated script after the fact.
- I strive for teams to use the richest communication mechanisms available. For collocated resource, this involves use of products such as WebEx and Slack. This enable team members to obtain quick answers when they are required. Following my principle of inspect and innovate, I have written and maintained Slack bots to work seamlessly with Jira and Confluence, which allows for recorded story discussions and auto-publishing Confluence pages.
- I am hands-on when it comes to development. When teams need extra effort in any area of the development process, I have filled in to ensure Product Increment goals where met on schedule. Some of the development that I participate when needed include:
- Writing Java and Groovy back-end code, using the Spring framework and Spock, that interacts with a large Oracle database and provides data via RESTful web services.
- Writing and automating quality assurance tests (including positive testing, negative testing, performance testing, integration testing, and regression testing), using Selenium Web driver, JUnit and Fitnesse.
Confidential, Atlanta, GA
Founder, Product Development Manager, and Software Engineer
- Founded and managed Confidential Software, a company that sells software to enable retail “business to consumer” sales transactions over the Internet. Successfully started Confidential with no outside capital investment. Grew company from a one-person basement operation to an office with 20+ employees.
- Extensive experience in product development management. These duties include:
- Market-driven and cost-conscious product management, balancing up-front investments in features and quality against time-to-market and time-to-revenue to maintain market leadership and sustained and predictable cash flow.
- Requirement gathering from a very large and horizontal customer base, and creating Epics and Stories to clearly reflect those requirements.
- Implemented Agile development processes, including backlog creation and backlog grooming, sprints, sprint planning and review, and daily standups.
- Oversaw all software development’s areas, including solution design and architecture, UI/UX, code review, automated and manual testing, product release, and support.
- Hiring, mentoring and training to develop a culture of excellence on the development team.
- Efficiently communicated product’s current development status and status changes to to all stakeholders.
- Managed development partner relationships to ensure all API integrations were up to date. Ensured APIs were implemented correctly and tested.
- Expert programming skills, utilized extensively in the development of Confidential Software’s products:
- Designed Confidential Software’s product offerings to be either on-premise “shrink-wrap” software for self-hosted customers, or as a white-label SaaS offering for web-hosting companies and web designers to resell using subscriptions.
- Coded in Java, C++, C# (both COM and ASP.NET), and C to produce efficient, clean software that “just works”. Documented code so that other team members can pick it up with little effort. Utilized unit testing (jUnit and googletest) and other automated testing.
- Designed and coded web services to specifications for clients. Web services were RESTful and implemented in Java, both with and without Swing, and used SOAP/XML for communicating with web service consumers.
- Evaluated and utilized JBoss / Hibernate framework for use in customized development projects built around Confidential Commerce.
- Strong familiarity with both the Microsoft Windows Server and Linux based operating systems (including Ubuntu, RedHat Enterprise and Centos, and Mint), as well as a wide range of other older Unix variants (including SunOS and Solaris, IRIX, HPUX, AIX, DEC/OSF 1, FreeBSD, BSDI, and Solaris X86).
- Integrated database access with MySQL and MS SQL Server - includes writing SQL statements for a variety of cross-table operations, data indexing and manipulation, and query optimization, as well as automated installation and table creation, Integration with MongoDB (no-sql technology) via Hibernate.
- Implemented security utilizing public key encryption via GPG and SSL transactions using the OpenSSL API.
- Implemented ESMTP functionality for systems without direct access to sendmail-like executables.
- Utilized different source control systems, including GitHub, Microsoft Visual SourceSafe, SVN in a WebDAV environment, and Perforce.
- Implemented standardized cross-platform compile and release procedures.
Confidential, Atlanta, GA
- Integration of third party audio and video coders and decoders, implemented as Microsoft COM objects, into existing LabView-based system for automated testing of cable boxes and cable-modems.
- Utilized C# and COM knowledge as well as LabView.
- Focused on making code as quick, simple, and fast as possible due to having to scan large amounts of raw transport streams, video steams, and audio streams.
- Assisted with on-site sales and marketing operations, including technical on-premise sales calls and trade show events.
- Managed global partnerships - produced and provided marketing and sales assistance to resellers and partners.
- Implemented SalesForce.com CRM / sales system.
Confidential, Atlanta, GA
- Coded and maintained NetZIP, a Microsoft Windows based program for archiving files.
- Experience with Visual C++, MFC, and underlying Win32 System calls.
- Integrated NetZIP with Netscape Communicator.
- Designed, developed, and patented a method for remotely manipulating ZIP archives.
- Microsoft Certified Professional and Software Engineer.
- Responsible for all new product development throughout complete life-cycle.
- Managed development team to specify, design, implement, and maintain Microsoft Windows based utility software products.
- Trained in project management and development management.