- Hands on end - to-end product R&D, driving system solution architecture, adept at overseeing all facets of project / product development and management, product planning, productization, delivery management, software engineering practices, long-term perspective to think strategically to drive the product / project roadmap, champion process improvements. Technology leadership with 23 years of progressive software R&D experience in offshore software product development centers for large product companies
- Experience in software R&D for verticals namely Embedded Systems, Smartphone platforms ( Confidential, Tizen, Android), Digital Communication, Wireless, Cloud, IoT, Vehicle Telematics / Automotive, Connected Healthcare / Bio-medical, Wearable.
- Experience in designing embedded system based software architectures for scalability, reliability and performance. Driving full stack development for platforms, software on hardware platforms, system software, middleware, solutions, services and applications
- Roles handled Lead, Chief Architect, Principal Engineer, Engineering Delivery Manager, Technical Project Manager, Project / Program / Product Manager, Product Owner, Scrum Master, Technical Director
- Project / Program Management of complex projects / products, large project teams, and multiple projects with more than 220+ team members in waterfall and multiple Agile / Scrum teams, geographically distributed software development teams in customer-centric ecosystem, servant leadership approach for mentoring team,.
- Delivered (Onsite / Offshore projects), implementing development methodologies, tools, processes to deliver time-to market software solutions with strong drive for customer satisfaction, exceptional focus on customer success and competitive differentiation.
- Detail oriented, take ownership with an attested ability to multitask in a dynamic environment with shifting priorities and changing requirements. Able to think strategically, tactically and to build consensus to make product development and program success. Adept at synthesizing a variety of technologies, hands on driving development, architecture and planning process execution of multiple projects.
- Leadership in technology management, defining overall strategy, dive deep new technology area, product roadmap and technical / feature specifications for new products based on long-term product vision, user needs, technical and market trends, and platform capabilities ; owning solution conceptualization to development to end delivery.
- Several first-of-its kind product developments proposed, initiated, devised strategy & product concepts, product roadmap, spearheaded R&D, commercialized and reached differentiated products to the market with exceptional reputation as a solution architect, technology leader and innovator.
- One each granted US patent, IEEE publication. Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Master (CSM)
Project Management: RFP, proposal, product roadmap, project charter, project initiation, WBS, project planning / control / monitoring, requirement management, cross-functional stakeholder management, process adherence, project execution, change request, issue management, Scrum Planning meeting, Scrum review meeting, Scrum retrospective, product backlog grooming, HDL / LLD, APIs design, test / issue / bug Management, risk management, configuration management, release / delivery management, customer communication, Continuous Integration / Delivery / Deployment, project closure.
Networking / Wireless Communication: HTTP, TCP/IP, Cryptography, PKCS, PKI Data Security, SAML, OSGi, Confidential Device Management, Confidential, M2M, IP Multimedia Subsystem, CAN, CANoe 10.0, BLE / Bluetooth stack / profiles (A2DP, AVRCP, BPP), ZigBee, Codecs (Audio, Video H.264), VoIP, SIP / RTSP / RTCP, NFC, RFID
Embedded system Software: Device drivers, firmware, BSPs, Linux Kernel, Board bring-up, Mobile System software
Home Networking: OSGi, UPnP, DLNA, BACnet, Modbus, ZigBee
Connected Healthcare and Informatics: Bio-Medical portable device middleware and connectivity, Continua Health Alliance, Medical Data Signal Processing, PHR
Vehicle Telematics / Automotive / Connected Car / IoT: System Layer, Middleware, IoT Gateway, MQTT, CoAP, AMQP, AWS IoT, IoT Security, IBM IoT Foundation, IoTivity, IoT Analytics, Industrial IoT (IIoT), Home Automation, Audio / Video Electronics, ADAS, Computer Vision algorithms, OpenCV, ISO 26262, Car Connectivity, Connected Car apps, V2X, Connected Car Services, Remote monitoring and diagnostics, OBD II, In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) middleware, Automotive Control System, Automotive Infotainment Head Unit, Automotive Body Electronics System, Fleet Management System, EV Battery Management, Tizen IVI
Programming: C, C++, Java, Perl, Python, x86 Assembly.
OS: Linux, Embedded Linux, Nucleus RTOS, OS9 (RTOS), WinCE, VxWorks
Hardware platform: Intel x86, TI TDA, ARM Cortex, Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM
Mobile Platform: Android OS, Confidential Handset Platform, Confidential bada / Tizen, Confidential Linux Platform (SLP), QNX, LiMo, Symbian, Palm OS, Microsoft Windows Mobile
Project Management, Development, Testing Tools: MS Project, Visio, Microsoft Project Server, IBM Rational Rose / ClearQuest / Clearcase / Purify / DOORS / Jazz / Team Concert, Robotic Process Automation (RPA), Perforce Version Control, Confluence, Blackduct, Protex, Valgrind, Parasoft Insure++, Jira, Flurry, Google Analytics, DevOps, Jenkins, Maven, Docker, GIT, Github, Linux Yacto, debuggers, Oscilloscope, JTAG, ICE emulators, LabVIEW, cross compilers.
Confidential, Mountain View, CA
Technical Project Manager / Product Manager
- Led wearable product (Gear) development team and facilitated innovation within the team to successful launch smart wearable system. Performed a competitive analysis of IoT platforms and defined features, software requirements for end-to-end IoT platform. Led team in product development, testing and validation, risk assessment, and optimize development productivity of multiple product lines. Develop and drive the roadmap for the wearable product, including planning and timing of features to deliver business value, continuously improving time to market.
- Leading and coaching a team for Agile adoption. Facilitated sprint planning, backlog grooming, daily stand-up meetings, reviews/demos, retrospectives, and other scrum ceremonies. Elicited and translated wearable business and technical needs into Wearable Platform and solution requirements.
- Managed (Planning, tasks tracking, resource allocation, release plans, risk management, configuration management, issue / bugs tracking, release process, customer communication, issue resolution, stakeholder management) 18 Engineers in Agile and delivered Smart Wearable Device platform solution (System, Middleware, HMI, UI) based on Android OS for Personal Healthcare monitoring and fitness tracker.
- Participated in Agile project inception, iteration meetings, user stories, acceptance criteria, launch readiness, project metrics; bug triage analyzed and tracked the performance of product and features, process improvements through automation.
- Led the team in system architecture, development, platform integration board bring-up, Android OS and Linux Kernel v3.14 porting, JNI / HAL (Sensors) on Ineda, Marvel and Qualcomm ARM Chipset. Managed team for wearable middleware for Bio Sensor Data Stream processing and fitness tracker algorithms, Wearable Service Manager, APIs. Led team for development of IoT Gateway for Wearable devices with MQTT protocol (Mosquitto MQTT Broker v3.0 bridge to AWS IoT). IoT data stored on AWS Cloud platform for analytics (Node.js, MongoDB)
- Healthcare and IoT Platform
- Initiated, championed and evangelized Confidential ’s first Healthcare device platform and built CoE and cohesive research team (65 members), delivered Confidential ’s first Healthcare platform architecture for personal healthcare portable device products based on Android OS Platform (AOSP). Spearheaded conceptualization, delivery of IoT gateway device and nurtured technology portfolio by initiating many innovative PoCs.
- Formulated strategic plan for platform development to sustain future product objectives and analyzed existing Connected Healthcare products and business models for opportunities to innovate and innovate. Defined the technical architecture for the Healthcare IoT gateway that envisioned with the customer. Led team of 35 Engineers to develop Android Mobile Healthcare Sensors Data Stream Management in IoT gateway device, Connectivity, Biosensors Wireless Network middleware.
- Architecture and designed Android OS based personal Health monitoring ECG, Blood Glucose Confidential Health mobile application, UI / UX and mobile-based Continua Personal Health device IEEE 11073 Personal Health Data standard.
- Spearheaded architecture and design of Smartphone based Data Stream Management System Engine for processing complex events from real-time sensors data (Bio-Medical, Healthcare, Wearable), rapid, time-varying data streams and execute continuously SQL like queries.
- Led team for developing Healthcare analytics and remote monitoring health services by developing Clinical Decision Support System (CDSS), Rule Engine, health services, REST open APIs, Personal Health Record (PHR) framework on AWS cloud platform.
- Facilitate sprint planning, backlog grooming, daily stand-up meetings, reviews/demos, retrospectives, and other scrum ceremonies. Collaborating with project stakeholders to determine release dates, scope, and sprint goals. Ownership in tactical decision on healthcare IOT product functionalities. Demonstrated ability to reach connected healthcare IOT gateway device product to market.
- Agile Project Management
- Defined product roadmap, product planning, played scrum master role, SOW, RFP / RFI, Project charter, product planning and created backlog in conjunction with product owner and key stakeholders.
- Issue management on Jira including creation of user stories, sub-tasks, user stories prioritization for delivering business value, scrum metrics (burn down charts, velocity), review meetings and facilitation of retrospective meetings and continuous improvement in team process.
- Collaborated with the team, architect, project reviews, presentations (status, mid-term plan, KPIs) and project / user stories estimation, wireframes, sprint planning, sprint retrospective, Agile/Scrum practices in team, product owner to ensure rightness of features and design, defining done and acceptance criteria for product release.
- Managed customer & communication, cross functional communication, stakeholder management, managed integration with other product groups.
- Manage change and project risk proactively and meet higher management, stockholders’ expectations and communication (Business Analyst, System Architects, QA, Testing team, HR, System Admin).
- Facilitated cross-functional communication to remove impediments and influence decision-making outcomes, resolving product post-release defects and driving best practices, methodologies for integration and test automation.
Technical Project Manager / Product Manager / Mobile Solution Architect
- Spearheaded automotive / Telematics platform architecture, product ownership, driven development of Connected Car services middleware and HMI. Drive product requirement analysis / gathering, architecture, engineering and IVI, car services, connectivity integration decisions, and timelines across multiple teams. Conduct project reviews, driving consensus, proactively identified, resolved technical issues, and removing team’s impediments. Worked with key stakeholders in product management to define strategy, prioritized product backlog, requirements. Engaged closely with the team to help determine the best technical implementation methods. Research and proposed new solutions that would improve product differentiation and competitive advantage.
- Provide hands on technical leadership to the team for development of Mobile phone and Vehicle Connectivity with IoT Gateway (Android / Linux OS, Qualcomm SoC) and Sensors (Motion, Accelerator, Magnetometer, Gyroscope) / Devices through Mosquitto MQTT Broker and RabbitMQ for vehicle data to AWS cloud.
- Engaged team in ideation and develop PoC for Vehicle to Device and Pedestrian (V2P / V2X / V2D based on Qualcomm 9150 Cellular V2X chipset) communication by integrating V2X DSRC WAVE PHY / MAC (stack IEEE 802.11p, 1609, WSMP) on ECU connectivity with RSU (Lighting, Traffic signals).
- Real-time vehicle OBD II data, Video data, ECU on-board sensors algorithms for Automatic crash / collision detection, 3D simulation / reconstruction of crash on computer, vehicle automatic E-Call for accident detection through Cloud, Web based control center. CAN conformance testing of Crash Sensor system to evaluate its compliance with the ISO 16845 standard. Diagnostics testing to validate the compliance of Vision Safety System to the J1939 standard.
- Translated IVI, Automotive middleware framework components technical specification into project scopes of work and automotive product requirements while spearheading IVI architecture and development. Established a cadence of IVI, middleware deliverables from team members.
- Spearheaded the development in an agile, iterative, data-driven environment, executed middleware development for In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) GENIVI Linux middleware, Yocto Linux build, automotive HMI, Vehicle remote diagnostics based on Open Diagnostic Data Exchange protocol, Porting of Ethernet Audio Video Broadcasting (AVB) stack by continuous tools and process improvement for quality deliverables. Led the team for deliverable of digital instrument cluster controller, framework, HMI (real-time Speed, Tacho, Battery, fuel, oil, trip odometer animated gauges ) integrated with Display Controller, 3D graphics engine, 2D OpenVG and Media Processing Engine . Integrated with TomTom nagivation engine and, map data, map and navigation library in IVI middleware.
- Led the team for development of cloud based Open Service Platform for Vehicle Analytics and Services which enables applications to use various connected car services exposed in the platform. The Vehicle Analytics platform designed uses machine learning and statistical analysis to detect anomalies and predict failures in real time of vehicles. The platform integrated with Linux open source code components such as Apache Kudu, Solr, MongoDB, Kafka, Spark Streaming, Impala. Cloud-based predictive maintenance programs use the cloud-car connection to monitor systems in the car - brakes, transmission, or battery charge and send alerts if there are early-warning signs of a potential issue. The vehicle data exchange framework, which facilitates the flow of vehicle big data to service providers. The Data Hub aggregates data, stores and distributes in packages to monetize data.
- Collaborated with development team and stakeholders, and to define the Product Backlog and Product Roadmap by way of IVI / Mobile User Stories, storyboards, wireframes, and other software design artifacts. Advocated Agile with Devops and implemented automation for CI / CD and associated configuration management, automated deployment, and validation.
- Program Manager for Smart Car Platform (IVI, HUD, Middleware, System core, Android OS) project initiation (RFP, project proposals, RFI), product roadmap, directed product management of for cars safety, assistance and vehicle Infotainment services. Engaged with technology partners, team and led long-term development with a focus on platform requirement, differentiated features, architecture, innovation, performance, power, and external components integration and continually improve the product for a successful product. Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the code, architecture, integration and process methodologies; continuously seek technology innovation to introduce valuable features.
- Spearheaded system architecture and development of middleware Camera based ADAS (V2X Lane Detection and Departure Warning, Vehicle Forward Collision Warning, Pedestrian Detection, traffic sign recognition, surround view 360 deg monitoring ), driver drowsiness monitoring for driver assistance safety. Delivered computer vision OpenCV algorithms on ECU based on Freescale iMX.6 / TI TDA2X SoC and Android OS and ISO 26262 functional safety, benchmarked with Mobileye solution.
- Managed development, porting of system layer on Android / Linux, ECU bring-up, BSPs, OEM Hardware Adaptation, device drivers / HAL (Camera, LVDS Display, GPS, I2C, Gyro, Acc, Mag Sensors), BLE connectivity and BT Audio / Video profiles.
- Middleware framework for D-Bus Communication, Automotive Message Broker for vehicle sensors data aggregation. Voice Recognition middleware using Nuance Dragon Drive Speech engine, Dialogue Manager, Voice Recognition API and Voice navigation. Korean market specific Virtual Assistant using Naver’s Line Clove (Cloud Virtual Assistant). Architecture of Connected Navigation based on (Google Map API and TomTom Map library, Map data) / Map Viewer, OpenLR integration, TPEG Real-time data traffic data.
- Led all scrum ceremonies, including backlog grooming, sprint planning, stakeholder demos, and team retrospective.
- Established the new platform initiative to develop IVI system solution based on Tizen Smartphone platform for Automotive IVI framework compliance with GENIVI. Requirement gathering and driving middleware architecture for intuitive IVI home screen, BT HFP hands free dialer, fast boot, screen splash, Automotive Message Broker, Ethernet AVB, Speech, DLNA connectivity for devices, Automotive Device APIs, Web Framework for Automotive HMI / Apps, Automotive network management. Collaborated with multi-discipline engineering teams (Connectivity, Navigation, Multimedia System, Graphics) to create new solutions based on novel ideas
- Proposed project proposals for global Smart City projects using IoT gateways and sensors for Parking Assistance, Automated Street Lights, Digital Signage, Intelligent Bus Information System, Smart Garbage Bins, Smart Services and Solutions for citizens. Architecture and designed Smart building Management based on AWS IoT Cloud.
- Led Smartphone tactical product development execution and managed product lines (product roadmap, release plans, source code merging strategy, deliverables, improvements, integration, and benchmarking, analyze technology trends, identify differentiated features) of Android OS based smartphone models. Program management (4 teams, total 130 Engineers) for Linux Kernel v3.1x porting and Android OS (JellyBean, KitKat, Lollipop) system development, merging Linux kernel patches, integration and porting to ARM 64-bit SoC chipsets (Qualcomm, Marvel, Spreadtrum) smartphone hardware. Directed team for continuous integration, continuous delivery of Android OS system software for Confidential Android smartphones.
- Linux Kernel bootloader, board bring-up, BSPs, HAL / device drivers (Keypad, display, USB, Graphics, Camera, Power, Audio), Kernel configuration, kernel optimization of power / memory.
- Program management (roadmap, planning, release plans, features prioritization, stakeholder communication, project reviews, development processes improvement, schedule deliverables), of Android smart phones product commercialization of several Confidential Android smart phones (Model: J1, J4, J6, Core Prime, Grand Prime).
- Instrumental in driving automotive platform embedded solution development and architect of Confidential ’s first Electric Vehicle Intelligent Battery Management Systems (IBMS) platform and embedded controller based on Android OS, ECU (MediaTek SoC).
- Led team from conception to system integration, hands-on debugging, code reviews and delivery of board bring up, drivers / BSPs (Battery sensors), CAN bus integration, Android HAL and JNI. Developed smart intelligence monitoring for State of Charge / State of Health native algorithms. Developed middleware for Battery monitoring service, manager, native library. The IBMS platform communicates with AWS Cloud for remote battery monitoring, Battery diagnostics, charging point navigation, Firmware OTA) and Android apps
- Initiated, managed the engineering R&D and program execution of Confidential ’s own Smartphone OS platform based on Linux Kernel (System Core and Sub-systems, Middleware, Application Framework, Apps, SDK v1.0) with modularity, configurability, extensibility and interoperability. Built team of 80+ Engineers, spearheaded technical architecture, requirement gathering, non-functional requirements (power, performance, memory, quality), platform integration (Core, Middleware, Systems, Apps).
- Instrumental in architecture and driving team to develop Open Service Platform (OSP) middleware based on SOA, SaaS, PaaS architecture on device and REST APIs on cloud platform.
- Smartphone platform delivered (for smartphone commercialization) Confidential ‘bada’ v1.0 (Tizen) smart phone platform and Middleware based on Linux OS and commercially launched Confidential ’s first Tizen based smartphone model ‘Wave S8500’.
- Instrumental in seeding research on first-of-its kind “Pervasive Computing” platform (Intelligent System) for ubiquitous seamless mobility and filed several patents.
- Architect of smartphone middleware framework for Context awareness, Cognitive framework with Embedded Inference / Reasoning Engine, Expert System for Context inference, Decision Support System, OWL Ontology Semantic Reasoner engine, Ontology Knowledge Base, Peer-to-Peer devices networking (MANET protocol) for Adhoc networking. Developed Confidential ’s first VR mobile framework and provided Second Life (online virtual world) Service and Second Life VR App (Tizen). Conceptualized Robots VR interaction as a Virtual Assistant in Virtual World environment. Architecture for AR / VR middleware and integrated Pervasive Services with Oculus VR device with Confidential Smartphone (Tizen platform and Android Galaxy S6) HMD and Gear VR. Led team for architecture and development of SVG compact engine, porting OpenGL-ES library, optimized 3D Graphics Rendering Engine, Hand Gesture recognition engine and integrated with Pervasive VR services.
- Led development team for architecture, conceptualization, Smart Home networking gateway and middleware framework based on Open Services Gateway (OSGi) and integrated with UPnP protocol for services discovery on network.
- Created product roadmap, development strategy and spearheaded Data security middleware architecture. Delivered Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) framework for Confidential smartphone data security. Facilitate product requirement, architecture, system integration of Public Key Cryptography Standards (PKCS), Management Protocol, Request Message Format, X.509 Data processing, ASN.1 and integrated with cryptography algorithms such as RSA, 3DES, MD5. Developed Confidential Digital Rights Management (DRM) 1.0 for mobile multimedia distribution. Architect of Mobile based Trusted Computing Platform, Trusted Platform Module to enable mobile hardware-based data security, hardware level cryptography and certified by Trusted Computing group.
- Chief Architect and Delivery Head for product R&D of Confidential Smartphone Platform (SHP) / MOCHA (Modular & Configurable Handset S/W Architecture). The Confidential 3G smartphone product lines for various wireless operators launched to the market.
- Framework for Confidential Device Management (DM), SyncMl, DRM engine, Wireless PKI Internet Security framework.
- Application framework C/C++ APIs (Qt UI framework, Windows Manager, Notification Manager, Resource Manager, Application launch and Apps APIs for developers).
- Mobile built-in apps such as Mobile Browser, Contacts, Calendar, Instant Messaging, MMS client, commercialized platform for Confidential smartphones.
Senior Technical Manager / Mobile Solution Architect
- Collaboration with the core team members to design and develop world’s first Internet Browser (Wireless Access Protocol) for Windows Embedded CE OS based mobile phones.
- Spearheaded product development and management of Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system. Designed VoIP solution based on SIP Audio / Video Streaming RTP / RTCP communication stack and middleware integration with Codec (Audio / Video). Project managed PoC of ISO 93 financial card transaction protocol.
- Product engineering development and management of team (35 Engineers) that pioneered rugged handheld Walkie-Talkie (instant Multimedia communication through 3GPP / Confidential Push-to-Talk PTT protocol over GSM).
Project Lead / Embedded Architect
- Product architect of computer connected, Web enabled, RF 900 MHz digital spread-spectrum Cordless phone product named ‘pcPiper’ / ‘Yap Piper’ and reached to the Singapore market. Architect of Cordless phone and Wireless Phone Base Device enabled with RF wireless protocol stack. Lead team for development of device drivers for display / keyboard / Joystick / optical mouse, BSPs (UART / SPI / I2C / USB 1.0) and board-bring up.
Embedded System Architect
- Led the team (15 engineers) for Building Automation System architecture, product development of embedded firmware for magnetic card ISO / IEC 7811, Barcode card swipe Reader and Encoder Terminal Device, PLCs, sensors gateway (temperature, humidity, water level, heating) networking through BACnet, Modbus RTU / RS485 protocol and remote monitoring on Unix PC.