I am a PMI certified Project Management Professional with 13 years of experience inProgram Managementand Development disciplines. I am currently working as Sr. Technical Program Manager and have been working as Technical Program Management consultant for more than 8 years. As a Technical Program Manager, I worked onseverallarge projects in IT and Product groups of Microsoft. These projects are of multi-disciplinary, such as development, testing and 24/7 support. I worked / coordinated with multiple groups that are co-located as well as located in different time zones while working on these projects.I am currently consulting with a Microsoft IT group to streamline their estimation and Project Management processes as well as managing few mission critical applications.
- More than 8 years of Program Management experience in handling multiple projects.
- Extensive experience in directing and motivating cross-functional engineering, multi-location teams and departments in support of corporate strategies.
- Experience in working with and managing a PMO.
- Managed projects with team sizes ranging from 4 to 50, working on different technologies and located in different time zones.
- Experience of working with business and engineering stake holders to collect, analyze and document Business Requirements.
- Experience in preparing Functional specs and Technical specs by following Program Management/Engineering Excellence guidelines.
- Experience in working with Technical and architecture teams to analyze systems and design solutions.
- Experience in preparing Project Management Plans (including Change Management and Risk Management plans).
- Excellent knowledge and experience in Effort andCost estimation techniques. I worked as estimation consultant for a client.
- Worked with development, testing, release and support teams to coordinate the project plans and efforts during development, testing, application release and final handing over to support.
- Expertize in using Microsoft Project and Project Server 2007 for project planning and progress tracking.
- Strong technical skills in .Net technologies, SQL Server, Business Intelligence, Sharepoint and Biztalk.
- Experience with Agile/SCRUM and SDLC methodologies.
- Experience in Scenario Focused Engineering.
- Ability to quickly adapt / learn new and changing technologies and environments.
- Strong development background. I worked as development lead for more than 3 years. As a Development Lead, I successfully lead several IT/Productdevelopment projects, including a project for Microsoft IT, which received the Best IT Project Award for quality and on time delivery.
C#, VB.NET, VB6.0, XML and HTMLDatabases
SQL Server 7.0/2000/2005/2008BI Technologies
SSIS, SSAS, SSRS.Net and Related Technologies
.Net Framework, WCF, WPF, WWFWeb Related
ASP, ASP.Net, COM+,Tools & Utilities
MS Project, MS Visio, MS Office and Install ShieldOthers
SharePoint 2007/2010, BizTalk 2006, Project Server 2007/2010, Scenario Focused Engineering, PMBOK
Sr. Technical Program Manager May 2009 - Current
I am currently working as a Senior Technical Program Manager in Microsoft's Product activation group, managing multiple projects of Product Activation platform. These applications are web based portals / web services that enable OEM's, retailers and end users to purchase product keys for Microsoft software and activate the software using those keys. These are part of Microsoft's genuine software initiative to curtail software piracy and encourage end users to buy genuine software. I worked as Sr. Technical Program Manager on the following projects/applications
- Microsoft Redirection Services (MSRS)
- Common Web Services (CWS)
- Sellkeys Decommission
- Sharepoint portal upgrade
I also worked with the PMO of Product Activation group, providing process consulting to help streamline theirProject Management and Estimation processes. Due to lack of mature project management and estimation processes, the team has been experiencing huge deviations in their cost/effort estimations and actuals, apart from lack of control over project outcome. I also developed tools and templates that help in estimation, project management and risk management.
- Successful delivery of all projects by creating excellent functional specifications from requirements, by developing accurate estimations and project plans, tracking the project progress, change management, risk planning and monitoring, coordinating with stakeholders for project status reporting, reviews, UAT and deployment of the solution in production.
- Successfully decommissioning a large legacy application by coordinating with internal business stake holders and external partners of Microsoft, thus saving more than a $1M per year.
- Streamlined project management processes by developing project plan templates.
- Standardizing estimation processes and developing tools required (Excel tools and customizing Microsoft Project and Project Server) for estimating in various phases of the project.
- Implementation and maintenance of Microsoft project sever for planning and tracking all projects and to provide visibility/ reports to higher management.
- Documentation and training the Project Managers, developers and testers on the usage of tools and templates.
Role: Technical Program Manager May 2004 - May 2009
I worked on several large projectswith various Microsoft IT and Business Groups. These are multiyear projectswith team sizes ranging from 5 to 50 and are executed at onsite, offshore and onsite/offshore modes.
- Worked as Technical Delivery Manager, managing projects of several key accounts in Microsoft.
- Managing the PMO of Satyam Computer Services Microsoft Technology delivery unit.
- Provided Technical Program Management support for several large projects.
- Working with functional managers to identify right resources for the project and assigning them to projects.
- Managing Stake holders, collecting and validating requirements.
- Documenting business requirements and preparing Functional Specifications.
- Scope Management, Schedule and Resource Management (Used Microsoft Project and Project Server extensively).
- Project estimation, planning & scheduling.
- Architectural review and validation.
- Validating technical specifications and Test Plans
- Reviewing project deliverables and deployment modules
- Project progress monitoring and Status reporting.
- Client reviews and using the feedback to improve team performance.
- Conflict resolution and act as the first point of escalation in case of issues in project execution.
- Change Management and Risk Management.
- Overseeing the implementation of quality processes.
- Career guidance and Professional development of associates.Some of the key projects I worked on include
- A large 24X7 support project. Our team is providing Tier1 and Tier2 support for 35 mission critical Product support applications.
- MSCert certification validation projects. Managed a team of 50 resources working at Onsite and Offshore. Worked on multiple releases and several simultaneous projects for 4 years.
- Learning Services portal project with Server and Tools team. Sharepoint is used extensively in this project. Managed a team of 23 working at Onsite and Offshore. Worked on multiple releases for 2 years.
- A mission critical Business Intelligence system used for executive reporting in MSN.
- Project to test 9 LOB adapters of Biztalk Server 2006.
Development Lead August 2002 - May 2004
Development Lead for a Microsoft IT project and lead a team of 10 developers over6 releases for a period of 2 years. This project received Best Project award in the first year celebration of Microsoft India IT organization.
- Collaborated with Program Management team to analyze business requirements and in the preparation of Functional Specifications.
- Prepared high level design, detailed design and Technical Specification documents.
- Project estimations, planning and scheduling.
- Work allocation and Resource management.
- Developing Prototypes.
- Code review and Unit Test case review. (Resulting in lowest number of bugs in System Testing and No Bugs in UAT and Production for 2 releases)
- Development environment maintenance.
- Overseeing implementation of quality processes (First implementation of TSP-PSP in MSIT).
- Setting up development and testing environments.
- Conducting training sessions to the testing, development and support teams.
- Developed ASP, ASP.Net pages, Business Layer using VB and C# and Database development.
- Successful implementation and deployment of 6 releases including Global Build Plan tool for all E & D products
- Successful implementation of TSP/PSP for the first time in MSIT.
- Received "Best Project" award during the first anniversary celebration of MSIT organization in India.
Project Lead / Sr. Developer August 2000 - July 2002
I worked as Development Lead on 2 projects, including a Prototype project using Beta version of .Net Framework.As a Sr. DeveloperI worked on 7 projects for clients like Amex, Honeywell, Arizona National Guards and Lucas Group. Projects for Amex include the development of their Merchant Online Customer System, Secure Authorization API for Point of Sales Devices and Install Shield Package for their ISOP (International Secure Online Payments) client application for Amex Blue Smart Cards. Technologies used were ASP, VB, VC++, COM+, HTML, Install Shield and SQL Server.
Programmer August 1999 - August 2000
I worked as a programmer in the EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) unit developing Web based and Desktop solutions to automate Materials Management and Inventory Management systems. These systems eliminated manual processes to manage the inventory and purchase requisitions for thousands of products and also streamlined interactions between different departments. Technologies used were ASP, VB and Oracle.
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech)
- PMP Certified Professional