- To provide publications support as senior or lead technical writer.
- Duties would include: assessing documentation needs for a product or service; developing a project plan to produce the necessary documentation on time and to budget; coordinating the activities of other resources (writers, editors, designers, printing vendors) to complete the project, and producing written content that targets the intended audience.
- Strong, demonstrated abilities in project conception, implementation, and timely completion.
- Excellent communication and problem - solving skills. Frequent interaction with various departments to produce product documentation that is well designed and technically accurate.
Working knowledge of: PC-compatible and Macintosh computers.
Software skills include: Adobe products FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Acrobat, Photoshop, Captivate. Microsoft Office Suite Word, PowerPoint, Excel, InDesign, Visio, and Project. Also Camtasia, Dreamweaver, and various HTML editors, FTP programs, and graphic editors.
- Created the company’s first published user manual for flagship product.
- Developed suite of user manuals, quick reference guides, software integration guides, and help files for subsequent versions of flagship instrument, software suite, and product systems.
- Overhauled existing manuals and help system; added localized help; configured the company's first software kit (customized packaging to include printed manuals and software disks).
- Managed contract writers, editor, and print and packaging vendors.
- Managed company-wide project to centralize existing technical knowledge onto the intranet for easier accessibility to customer documentation, training material, field service procedures, engineering specs, marketing collateral, and customer statistics.
- Conducted project team meetings and maintained project website with meeting results, project schedules, and supporting project documents.
Documentation and Packaging
- Designed and standardized set of documentation for four product lines: User manuals (hardware and/or software manuals), quick reference guides, and help files.
- Developed 4-manual set (from administrator to translator audiences) and delivered in print and on CD (PDF); developed online help and integrated localized help.
- Configured company's first software kit; customized packaging to accommodate manuals and software disks.
- Assessed documentation needs (e.g., user manuals, quick reference flipchart, chemistry guides, release notes, customer letters, and final packaging); managed activities of contract writers, graphic designers, photographers, and print and packaging vendors to develop and deliver final manual set.
- reorganized reference document file into separate, manageable files; created alternative master document (writer did not want to use Microsoft Word's master document function) for table of contents and index; developed Microsoft Word template for in-house writers; resolved file size and indexing issues.
- Replaced existing FrameMaker template; significantly reduced overall document file size by replacing existing graphics with compressed, web-ready graphics (no reduction in resolution quality).
- Replaced basic HTML help system with RoboHTML help to improve appearance and add more functionality.
- Worked with help consultant and localization manager to integrate localized help text into new help system.
- Provided in-house support in Microsoft Office products, Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat, and Camtasia.
- Assisted and supported new writer in Marketing.
- Provided publications and software support to Engineering and Marketing.
- Provided product and computer support to Customer Support group, MarketingTraining, Instrument QA, and Purchasing.
- Responded to in-house and customer inquiries in all areas of hardware and software.