- A database professional with more than twenty years of database administration, IT management, and application development experience.
- Extensive experience with a variety of relational database management systems including Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise and Sybase Replication Server.
- Special area of expertise includes database administration, data warehousing, distributed systems and replication design, business systems analysis, functions and requirements definition, system architecture, feasibility studies, testing and training.
- An information systems professional with thorough knowledge of the current computer skills.
Databases: Sybase ASE Sybase IQ IBM DB2 LUW
Sybase SQL Anywhere: Oracle 10g/11gMS SQL Server
MiddleWare: Sybase DirecConnectSybase OmniServer Oracle Appl. Server Sybase Rep. Server
Database Tools: DB ArtisanER StudioSQL Server Manager, Rapid SQLERWIN Quest TOAD, SQL Back Track Power DesignerDB Visualizer, Oracle O.E.M.Rep. Server ManagerSybase Central
Development Tools: PowerBuilder 6PowerBuilder 5Lotus Notes
Oracle Developer: Oracle J Developer
Languages: Perl DBI/DBDC/C++PowerScript
Methodologie: sRAD PathAgile Scrum
Testing Tools: Mercury WinRunnerSQA Team Test
Operating Systems: Windows XPWindows VistaWindows 7
Windows Server: RS/6000 AIXHP/UX
Sun Solaris: Linux
Version Control: PerforceCVSSubversion
- Responsible for the flagship products DBArtisan and Rapid SQL which have over 11,000 customers include 97 of the Fortune 100 firms.
- Managed a development team of more than 30 developers and QA testers.
- Provided release plans and story backlogs for all new features including business cases, specifications, UI design, application modeling, and database functionality.
- Also, responsible for creating and maintaining a product release roadmap including major and patch releases.
- Participated in DB industry events such as Sybase Techwave, SQL PASS, and IOUG.
- The application platform supported a variety of RDBMS platforms including Sybase ASE, Oracle, MS SQL Server, DB2 LUW, and DB2 z/OS.
- The developer editions also included support for MySQL and ODBC data sources.
- Carried out the day to day role of a scrum master using Agile methodology.
- Designed and produced specification for supporting Sybase IQ which will be released in the next major release.
Program Manager - Sybase /MS SQL Server
- Confidential is a leading software supplier of professional grade database tools. These products include DB Artisan, Rapid SQL, ER Studio, and Performance Center.
- Joined Confidential ’s Program Management Team. dis team is responsible for the technical ownership of all the firm’s tools. dis ownership includes managing and formulating the vision and approach of the tools. Also dis includes managing the development and QA teams working on the tool.
- Responsible for the platform direction for both Sybase and Microsoft database products. dis responsibility includes being the voice and advocate for what Embracadero’s Sybase and MS SQL customers would require in the database tools offered. dis includes creating business cases that lead to well defined specifications of the database features within Confidential ’s products.
Database Management Team - Leader
- Managed a team of six DBAs that carries out all database design, development, and support through out the corporation. dis includes all aspects of staff management including compensation and performance reviews.
- A member of The Change Control Board that is responsible for reviewing and approving all tech projects. dis includes the sign off authority from a database point of view.
- Participated in architecting strategic technology initiatives along with other Tech Leaders.
- Played a major role in The Regulatory Compliance Project insuring that Confidential is compliant with Sarbanes/Oxley and CISP U.S. regulations.
- Managed the design and implementation of a complete High Availability database infrastructure for www. Confidential .com . dis was done utilizing Sybase Replication Server 12.6 in a warm-standby configuration as well Sun Clustering to insure the availability of the replication servers.
- Architected, designed and implemented a Data Warehousing environment using Sybase IQ 12.7. dis project included the design and development of the data transfer and ETL tools that transferred data from multiple sources. dis process also included massaging and cleansing the data to facilitate business analysis.
- Participated in the re-design the IVR System database to accommodate the VOIP Conversion Project.
Senior Database Administrator
- Participating in the Tier 3 on-call rotation system for all Confidential ’s database production systems.
- Responsible for the design, development, and implementation of the Sybase Replication Server into the Confidential .com database back-end environment in-order to achieve a higher capacity and scalability of the site.
- Part of the database team in charge of the database analysis and design of the Confidential .com re-engineering project.
- Assigned as the primary database resource on the voice Confidential systems including POS, IVR, 900 IVR, and CM.
- Assigned to the Customer Relation Management System as the primary database architect with responsibilities including the design and development of the logical and physical data models, data conversion procedures form the legacy data store, and the design and development of database me/O layer using Sybase Stored Procedures.
- Participating in the ongoing support and maintenance procedures for the Point Of Sale system including the design, development and implantation of any required batch programs.
- Participated in the design, development and implementation of the daily IVR sales download to reporting and financial system in a fashion that insures full financial re-conciliation.
- Mentoring and training junior Database Administrators through knowledge transfer.
Senior Database Consultant
- Responsible for the design, development, and implementation of the Sybase year-end roll-over procedures which included optimization and streamlining of current batch programs and scripts.
- Provided database support to the development teams within the IT department including database design and analysis as well as stored procedures coding and performance support.
- Provided database support on an Oracle 7.3.4 instance including running vendor fixes as well as maintaining backup and recovery procedures.
- Mentored a junior DBA through knowledge transfer and on the job training
- Participated in the identifying, documenting, and optimizing of the Sales Decision Support and data warehouse OLAP system critical load procedures.
- Responsible for the design, development, and implementation of a Sybase migration project that migrates two Sybase Adaptive Server installations from Sybase Adaptive Sever 11.0.3 on OpenVMS and Sybase Adaptive Server 11.9.2 on HP/UX to Sybase Adaptive Server 11.9.2 on Compaq True64 Unix. dis project includes the migration of schema, stored procedures, and data migration. The development of the migration procedures uses Sybase DBI/DBD Perl module and the BCP interface.
Senior Database Consultant
- Participated in the database design of a relational DB2 model replacing the legacy Confidential customer and prmise files and assisted in defining the conversion and mapping rules used to convert the data from Confidential to DB2.
- Participated in the database support for the project including the database change request system and also supported the other members of the team on database issues including PowerBuilder / Sybase interface.
- Participated in the analysis, design, and implementation of a data refresh scheme that allows the comparison and synchronization of data between environments.
- Responsible for the design, automation, and implementation of data replication from DB2 to Sybase SQL Server.
- Supported system integration analysts in the analysis and design of a backup recovery strategy that insures the integrity, compression, and synchronization of data within all the different components of the distributed system ‘DB2, SQL srv, and REP. Srv’.
- Responsible for the installation, setup, and design of Sybase Replication Server Monitor ver. 11. dis design constantly monitored the various development environments and alerted support personnel in the case of failure via paging.
- Participated in the business continuity and resumption planning for the project including the design and implementation of database backup benchmarking on the Sybase environment.
- Participated in the design and development of a data interface between the CIS system and the Clarify Customer Relation Management (CRM) System running on an Oracle8 instance. The data interface utilized both Sybase and Oracle utilities as well as Unix shell scripting using korn shell and perl.
Senior Database Consultant
- Designed and implemented the replication schema of the existing O.R.M. to create a decision support read-only copy.
- Designed, developed, and documented a disaster recovery procedure of the replicated data and replication schema to function in coordination with existing backup and recovery procedure of the on-line system.
- Participated in and supported the efforts taken to build a web interface for the O.R.M. system to be used by external business partners.
- Responsible for the design and implementation of Sybase Replication Server Manager Rel. 11 which included building an interface to OpenView paging system and the help-desk sub-system.
- Participated in the migration of the replication environment to System 11 including both Sybase SQL Servers and Sybase Replication Servers.
- Participated in the daytime database support system including dealing with emergency situations such as server failures and data corruption
- Participated in monitoring, fine-tuning, and performance optimization of the Global Credits and Corporate Treasury SQL Servers. dis task included the streamlining of replication to minimize the impact of replicating data that is not required.
- Participated in the design and development of the Foreign Exchange Order Globalization requirement between Toronto, London, and Singapore.
- dis includes the design of a replication schema that achieves site autonomy while insuring a synchronous system of globally transferring orders’ ownership between sites with confirmation.
- Participated in the planing, testing, and implementation of adding Singapore to the Global Credit trading system. dis task included the development, testing, and implementation of all data synchronization and materialization scripts.
- Participated in the on-call rotation system for all Confidential Production systems.
- Participated in the development and implementation of the database back-up ‘using SQL BackTrack’ and consistency check ‘dbcc’ jobs.
- Supported other DBAs on Sybase Open Client / Open Server and ODBC drivers.
- Responsible for the testing and certification of Sybase Replication Server, including the set-up of procedures, tips, and guidelines.
- Participated in the design and setup of Sybase SQL Server environment on NT, including the automation of back-ups and design of remote support procedures.
- Responsible for the physical design of the application’s database.
- Maintained the physical data model using Erwin 2.6.
- Designed the security sub system that achieved row level security.
- Designed the system’s enterprise Replication strategy and developed all replication definitions and subscriptions.
- Responsible for the design and development of R.me. triggers.
- Developed and implemented database conversion and migration procedures.
- Designed back-up and disaster recovery procedures that included the replication infrastructure.
- Participated in the selection and evaluation of Intranet development tools.
- Facilitated the design, development, and implementation of database interfaces to the web.
- Designed and developed all Sybase stored procedures for the project.
- Responsible for assembling the development team including the hiring of contractors. Supervised, trained, and mentored a team of three developers.
- Responsible for the Full Cycle Development of the project.
- Analysis and design included data modeling using ERWIN 2.1, prototyping, developing functions specifications, and building application framework.
- Developed complex Sybase System 10 stored procedures to perform all updates to database tables for enhanced security. Stores procedures were also used to retrieve complex reports. Triggers were used to maintain referential integrity across tables.
- Carried out database administration tasks whitin the development environment including creating devices, segments, databases, tables, and stores procedures. That also included granting access permissions.
- Acted as a consultant to the development team to guide them through system design analysis, development, testing, implementation, and database administration.
- Designed, developed, and implemented remote cheque printing at participant sites using Windows and Novell SDK function calls to capture status of jobs in the print queue for remote printers attached to print servers.
- Supervised system and integration and performance testing.
- Designed specifications for the application security via the use of Sybase groups and permission levels.
Senior Programmer Analyst
- Responsible for system design and analysis, development, testing, implementation, and database administration.
- Carried out data modeling using ERWIN, developed system specifications. And developed screens to encapsulate business rules and requirements.
- System development involved creating class libraries, application framework, ancestor objects and user objects (visual and non-visual) as per application requirements. Crosstab and n-up datawindows were used in reports that emulated ‘spreadsheet like’ look and feel.
- Used Embedded SQL for complex queries that used views to optimize table joins.
- Installed a PC based LAN system using Novell. TCP/IP was used to communicate with the existing mainframe system. Project also included establishing, maintaining, and fine tuning application access to SQL Server.
- Provided Dyad Technologies, Toronto with PC hardware to setup a local area network. The network is running DECNET. The project included installing services to communicate with DEC mini computers as well as VAX equipment.
- Added PC workstation to an existing Novell network at Datapro Canada. The project included setup, training, and maintenance. Also, added CD-ROM server towers in order to enhance Datapro’s on-line information service.
- Supplied the Canadian Broadcast Company’s MIS department with their hardware and software requirements. Also, assisted in installing hardware and software. Carried on some training projects for CBC’s employees.