PMO, Portfolio, Program, Project Management professional who sees the big picture and has the ability to quickly shift gears to engage, lead and explain the details. Professional acumen built on listening to and bringing together the customer and IT to deliver high quality products with a high ROI. Success is based on enjoying the pace of senior leadership, fostering long term relationships, and developing team members.
Over 15 years of IT experience: PMO / Portfolio / Program / Project Management, Business Process Improvement Analysis, Facilitation, Relationship Management, IT Systems Lead, Business Analyst, Budget Analyst, System Planning, Training and Customer Service Using the Technologies of J2EE, IBM WAS 6.x, IBM RAD 7.x, Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), and Mainframe Using the Methodologies of PMBOK, BABOK, SDLC (Waterfall, Iterative, Agile) and the GE WorkOut Method (process improvement) using HP PPM, MS Project and Primavera.
PROVEN ABILITIES AND RESULT
Enterprise PMO Portfolio Manager. Responsibilities include PMO process improvement consultant Governance management for over 65 (programs and projects) which includes 5 IT business units (Corporate, Insurance, Reinsurance, Global IT, Strategic Programs) Governance includes the process and procedures to address variances for baseline changes in scope, schedule, and cost Governance includes project dependency tracking and awareness meetings Issues management and the guidance to create and execute action plans Risk management and the guidance to create and execute mitigation strategies Support for HP PPM 9.2 project creation, management, updates and data RAG Reporting Senior leadership reporting for annual and quarterly accomplishments, CSAT, Project Closure vs. Target stats Survey Monkey management HP PPM 9.2 enhancements implementation
PMO process improvement consulting. Provided scheduling and structure efficiency improvements for over 10 PMO procedures (program management, project management, reporting, metrics, +).
Portfolio valued at $250M+
Senior Business Project Manager for The Consumer Lines (Home & Auto): This effort includes managing a program of Home & Auto Insurance projects that will provide improved throughput, pos training, agent coaching tools, campaign automation, improved automation to provide agency self serve quotes ($1M+ annual savings), improved user experience, analytics (ITV, throughput, etc.).
Managed 6 projects with over 10 releases $5.0M+
Senior Project Manager for the Investment Data & Trading (IDT) Program Interfaces: The effort included implementing 300+ interfaces, for integration into a new Teradata data warehouse, new trading platform, new valuation platform, and new investments platform. Analysis included, providing record layouts, business rules, and data definitions. Design workshops included canonical mapping and rationalization of data for transformation using Informatica Utilizing Windows and UNIX file scripts File scheduling using IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler (Maestro). Leverage OBIEE (Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition) for reporting. Utilized CMMI. QA Lead, You are one of the very few Project Managers that I ve come across that thinks logically and technically . $3.0M+
Senior Project Manager for the IDT Trading Platform Project: Leading the effort to stand up a new Trading Platform by capturing requirements, use cases / volumetrics for performance testing. Includes standing up the new Phoenix Funds system. Utilized CMMI. Major effort includes integration of the file transfer timing with other interfaces. $1M+
Senior Project Manager for the IDT Valuation Platform Project: Leading the effort to stand up a new Valuation Platform by capturing requirements, use cases / volumetrics for performance testing. Includes standing up the new VPA system (Valuation Products Administration). Effort included implementing unit value calculations, AM processing, PM processing, and reconciliation processing. Utilized CMMI. Major effort included integration file transfer timing with other interfaces. $1M+
Senior Project Manager for the Faculty Reporting System Project: Lead the delivery of an OBIEE Faculty Reporting System. As the third PM, my challenge included saving the schedule, improving the change management process and developing a cohesive business and IT team. We successfully modified the WBS (work breakdown structure), delivery approach (Waterfall to Iterative Prototyping), and delivered multiple Iterations between March 2012 and Oct 2012. $1.5M+
Instructor of Project Management: Includes development and training of MS Project creating templates to enhance the evolution of ROM estimates to detail level work plans. Training received positive feedback and is now part of the on board training for new project managers.
Senior Project Manager for Yale Budgeting Tool Project: The effort included planning and execution of three vendor proof of concept, eventually replacing two systems. The POC deliverables included functional testing of 254+ features and a performance test of major transactions. The POC was hailed as comprehensive and received approval for full implementation. The new Budgeting Tool provides multi year forecasting, quarterly reporting, monthly operational functionality, and includes functionality to transfer labor in and out of business units. The Yale Budgeting Tool leverages the Yale DWH (data warehouse) and OBIEE (Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition) for additional reporting. Sponsor quote, Steve is doing a wonderful job, represents us beautifully, manages us very nicely, and has a terrific style. $1.5M+
Consultant to the Yale ITS PMO: Participate in the PMO to enhance processes and practices, using tools (Quick Base, portfolio management tools, MS Project), methodologies, metrics (resource utilization) to grow the ITS delivery process. Future opportunities include an online web based working plan of all resources, by month, that presents actuals and projections (ETC) to quickly determine forecast for variance reports and Change Management requests.
Application Delivery Manager for the developers of the Employer Portal, supporting the following applications On Line Billing System, Employer Self Service, and the Enrollment Maintenance Tool. Activities included, the Cigna Accounts Receivable Billing System project (see below), Redwood project (relax the enrollment tool edits, for FSA HCR benefit options ), Open Access Plan for Shared Administration Re pricing (allow enrollment), Portal Currency Employer Portal upgrade (upgrade from WAS 6.0 to 6.1, migration from Boulder CO to Windsor Data Center).
Senior Project Manager for the Health Care Professional (HCP) Segment Service Alignment Project, enhancing the HCP s experience to pre certify existing non third party administered members as well as include for the first time, self service, to pre certify third party administered members. Scheduled to deliver 8 high level business requirements the solution utilizes J2EE, EDI 270 / 271, and a new information repository for members Included, multiple IT solution departments. $1M+
Senior Project Manager for the Dental, Direct Deposit Activity Remittance Project which will provide EFT enrollment, payment generation, document generation, dental document storage, customer service document retrieval process, provider portal retrieval process, preferences (paper / electronic reports) and email notification. Delivering 57 business requirements currently in the conceptual solution / functional design phase. The solution will utilize J2EE, mainframe, Oracle data repository and vendor GraphNet Includes, multiple IT departments. $1M+
Senior Project Manager for the Cigna.Com Redesign Project which will enhance the look and feel of the portal, Team Site (user content), and the infrastructure. The solution will utilize J2EE Includes two IT solution departments and vendor Sapient Agile methodology. $1M+
Senior Project Manager for the On Line Experience Program Access Management Project, enhancing consumer / member access to the consumer portal while enhancing the user experience for the Wellness programs. Solution utilized J2EE 4 releases Agile 2 IT solution departments. $1M+
Enterprise Project Manager program leadership for the TX Electronic Data Exchange project, allowing health care professionals to provide cost of care estimates for their HMO/PPO members at point of service. The solution calculates member liability by summing the treatment cost, member health saving account balance and the members out of pocket expenses Solution utilized J2EE mainframe 2 PMs, 4+ IT solution departments & Thomson Reuters (Veritas Truven). $1.5M+
Enterprise Project Manager leadership for the Mental Health Substance Abuse Segmented Accumes project, separating the accumulated medical benefits by medical, pharmacy and MHSA benefit components for ingestion into the benefits accumulator module and output to the One View system & Web MD. Solution utilized J2EE, mainframe 2 tech leads, 4 IT solution departments. $500K+
Program and Relationship Management for coordination of 10+ construction projects, using Primavera P6. Projects include cityscape beautification project, new chiller plant planning, distributed generation, power plant upgrades, and the coordination of a service upgrade for the Yale New Haven Hospital, Smilow Cancer Center. Program Sponsor quote, In my ten years in this position, since you began managing the customer relationship, the customer no longer escalates to me, the President, or the CEO. $25M+
Enterprise Project Manager leadership for the implementation of the claim repository book of record including an ODS, DWH, and BI reporting) for use by Cigna s service organization, health care providers and members This program included, managing multiple staggered releases managing program financials, and coordinating activities with interdependent IT programs, and facilitating an oversight committee. Work initiatives include implementing, workflow processing to support, external claim pricing with TriZetto personal health record segments to support the Web MD PHR project workflow processing to support the HRA (Health Reimbursement Arrangement) The solution utilized J2EE SOA EDI 835, 837 mainframe three releases Included two IT solution departments, over 80 team members, four project managers, two track leads, and two enterprise architects $25M+
Project Manager for the Cyber Security Project (2006): Coordinated the identification and analysis of the phase I, sign off of critical cyber assets which, provided approval for the start up of phase II the electronic venerably analysis and the development of a multi year budget to perform remediation and sustain compliance.
Process Improvement Facilitator for the Business Process Improvement Program (2004 2006): While working for the IT department, the business utilized my business experience to participate in and then facilitate for, the BPI team using the GE Work Out method to solve Distribution Control Center, OMS, Work Management, Supply Chain and other Utility BPI opportunities. The process used three day workshops to identify the issues, develop recommendations, ROI and then on the third day present recommendations to business leadership at a town hall meeting. Leadership was asked to vote on the recommendations, if approved, leadership would provide sponsor and sanction a 90 day solution team. The process had great success and good vertical ownership.
IT Business Strategist (2002 2005)
- Coauthored a Systems Integration Plan, which resulted in the development of a multi year budget forecast with commitments to multiple projects, business process improvement, and the initiation of a Work Management Project which included OMS (Outage Management Systems) interfaces.
- Developed a Mobile Strategy discovery approach, which received business approval.
- Authored a System Performance white paper (WAN LAN HW SQL Desktop focus), which resulted in improved customer awareness and IT funding.
IT PMO Portfolio Manager (2002 2004)
- Team Member of the Enterprise IT Portfolio for the IT Enterprise Infrastructure. This initiative included providing a technology 101 education series that aligned and ranked, key enterprise business applications and mission critical applications with consideration using an ITIL structure for the IT Infrastructure products and services. This initiative created an improved understanding of the benefits and consequences of IT funding changes. It provided IT and business management a cross understanding of each others needs and most importantly, it provided IT a seat at the business budget table. Annual portfolio $150M+ capital, $54M+ expense
- Managed the Five Business Unit IT Portfolio, of IT programs, projects, products and services annual $55M+ capital, $9M+ expense which, was accountable to three IT Investment Councils which, I co facilitated with business leadership. This resulted in improved business awareness, improved project progress reporting, and improved business ownership. The councils were attended by business and IT leadership.
- Introduced and managed a CBA tool for proposing IT initiatives, which utilized a ten year cash flow.
- Provided consulting and coaching for IT and Business Leadership, to jointly develop and present Business Cases / CBA, at the IT Investment Council(s) which resulted in, improved business trust, improved business ownership of IT projects and increased IT funding.
- Influential in the strategic positioning of technology products.
- Restructured the portfolio and improved the budget variance reporting process and dashboards.
Business Development and Implementation Management (2000 2002)
- GPS Distribution Field Asset Survey which digitized wire and pole field assets Identified a positive ROI which supported the new Work Management System Investment Model, OMS (Outage Management System), and Mobile Workforce Management $15M+
- Cascade Asset Management upgrade of the asset inspection and maintenance system. Developed and executed business confidence testing which resulted in the postponement of the upgrade until the vendor developed proven modules. Received accolades from business leadership.
- Massachusetts Pole Life Cycle Management System. Provided SME support for a team of WMECo, National Grid, NSTAR, and Verizon employees to investigate a common asset system which resulted in business approval and IT funding, to implementation one common business solution for the state of Massachusetts.
Process Improvement Facilitator / Project Manager for the Supply Chain and Work Management Suite Integration (2002): Facilitated the process improvement of a number of key workflow issues (data & process) between the supply chain (INDUS) system and the work management suite. Activities included: Understand the leadership challenge Develop the BPI project life cycle plan / schedule / approach Develop leadership project progress reports Review the approach with the key stakeholders (sponsor / impacted managers / core team) Identify the BPI SME s Align the critical success factors between leadership and the team Perform pre workshop, data / process analysis Schedule workshops Facilitate BPI workshops through team building, problem statement confirmation, develop current state flip charts develop desired future state flip charts brainstorm and document the gaps Provide initial recommendations report Develop business confidence testing (BCT) approach to identify key workflows issues (data & process) Facilitate the BCT workshops to develop and execute scenario process scripts Develop final findings and recommendations report. Results: The approach, the process improvement facilitation, and recommendations report were well received by the business leadership group. This initiative provided a root cause understanding of the data and process issues. The recommendation contributed to the reorganization of the business planning & scheduling process, supply chain process and secured IT funding to make permanent data quality repairs.
Process Improvement Facilitator / Project Manager for the Operations, Distribution Clearance Request & Qualified Persons DB (2002): Designed for 2 BU s. Popularity expanded the delivery to 3 additional BU s. This BPI initiative was a success. The common process resulted in IT funding and business savings.
Process Improvement Facilitator for the T& D Systems Operations Review Committee (SORC) Document Organizer (2002): Led the effort to develop and implement this system, which consolidated and enhanced the work flow for four business units.
Project Manager for the Customer Request System (2001 2002): Initiated the effort, which led to the implementation of the first multi company browser based (.Net and SQL Server) customer request system at Northeast Utilities. $500K+
Mergers & Acquisitions Team for Northeast Utilities Con Edison (1999 2001): Contributed to the M& A activities to valuate the IT infrastructure, corporate IT applications, and business unit IT applications teams were formed due diligence was conducted interviews were held with key stakeholders to assess economies of scale, and the value of IT products, applications, and services in addition analysis was provided to determine scalability of processes and systems, current performance, best in class applications comparisons, retirement cost, and new start up costs / upgrade costs project schedules were developed and updated at periodic status meetings. The M& A products were produced on time. The merger was approved and later rescinded.
Project Manager / Business Analyst / QA for distribution IT projects (1993 2000): Body of work includes successfully implementing, work management systems, construction work order systems, planning & scheduling systems utilizing DB2, Mainframe.
IT Systems Lead, Business Analyst and Training Coordinator (1998)
- As the IT Systems / Business Lead, worked directly with the business and IT to capture requirements, develop estimates, make recommends, prioritize work, assign work, provide testing & training, to maintain and implement IT business systems.
- Led the effort to support the Work Management Suite and Engineering Analysis Suite, which resulted in improved business requirements, improved testing, and quicker business knowledge transfer.
Process Improvement Analyst with Ernest & Young, CT Light & Power Co., AT& T, and CATV BPI Reengineering Team (1995): While supporting the IT department, the business secured my services to support a multi utility company initiative to improve the workflow process of the electric, phone, and cable companies. The process included understanding the current state process, brainstorming a desired future state, and brainstorming the gaps to achieve the future state. The results identified a sustainable process improvement method with $1.8M savings, annual.
Business Analyst / QA for the State of CT Highway Billing System (1993 1994): Supported the implementation of a system that tracks and provides reimbursement the CT Light and Power for construction work provided on state highway projects. This system was designed to reduce / eliminate the reoccurrence of CL& P accumulating $30M of account receivables from the State of CT. The solution utilized DB2 / mainframe received a company award.
WORK EXPERIENCE By Company By Core Skills
Program Management, Project Management
All Companies Program Management Use of Lite Weight Common Process Management Frame Work e.g., Project plans with similar WBS Common financial management spreadsheets Weekly status meetings with similar structure Common health criteria At the ready co pilots (we cover for each other so we can comfortably go on vacation) Common SharePoint Structure (rapid assimilation of information) Business Capabilities Communication Log, provides on going clarification of Business Capabilities (minimizes emails, it is a weekly status check point, enhances testing, reduces code misses)
All Companies Traceability Management Dashboard Projects are managed by work streams, processes, features, stories, and proposed conceptual Business Capabilities . Once the requirements elicitation process identifies the specific products , the project is managed to completion by specific Business Capabilities e.g., Reports, QA functional test cases, Weekly status by each business capability, etc.
Most deliverables / artifacts belong to or roll up to a specific Business Capability. The Objective is to successfully Deliver Business Capabilities.
All Companies Team Communications Provide clear expectations and support and to create positive outcomes e.g., many things have the potential to repeat from project to project. The objective is to see it before it happens and mitigate.
Interfaces, Data Warehouse, ODS (Operational Data Store),
- Approved approach to have Teradata consultant provide Data Architecture consultation for structures, fact tables, dimension tables, data views and data marts
- Approved the facilitation of JADs for Data Modelers and SMEs for canonical mapping
- Directed the BAs for Interface analysis, file specs, business rules, record layouts, data dictionary and interface partner JARs
- Directed the work to develop use cases, NFRs, and volumetrics, for performance testing
- Directed the work to initiate data population (static / dynamic)
- Directed, approved, and contributed to the testing strategy and execution
- Contributed to Data Migration approach and coordination
- Yale University Financial data store, < 500TB, Teradata appliance, 100 + Interfaces
- Directed the design, development and testing of the OBIEE Financial Reporting Suite
- Cigna Claim Book of Record, > 500TB, 100 + interfaces
- Directed the JADs for Data Architects, Data Modelers and SMEs for canonical mapping, dimension table, fact table development
- Directed the design, development, and testing of multiple Batch interfaces to extract and load data using synchronize and asynchronous methods. Provided SOA interfaces for the presentation layer.
- NU GIS database, > 500TB, 100 + interfaces
- Directed the discovery, RFI and final selection of the database solution GE Smallworld
- Provided oversight for the design, development and testing of the GIS database
TECHNICAL / PROFESSIONAL TRAINING & AFFILATIONS
Technical: Primavera P6 MS (Project, Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, VBA) Clarity
Professional: Knowledge of: PMBOK, BABOK, ITIL, ADKAR, Waterfall SDLC, RAD SDLC, Agile Scrum, R& D Prototyping SDLC, Business Process Improvement Facilitation (GE Work Out method)