- Award winning communications and media professional with over nine years of experience including: social media management, government/military public affairs, non - profit public relations, development, healthcare communications, strategic communications, new business development, project management, customer relationship management and operations support.
- Able to work across organizational boundaries to execute media strategies, drive partnerships to enhance communications, curate innovative ideas, and serve as a leader throughout the organization.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
- Strategic Communications
- Social Media
- Media Relations
- Community Relations
- Crisis Communications
- Digital Communications
- New Media
- Internal Communications
- Communications Planning
- Event Management
- Customer Relationship
- Public Relations
- Proposal Writing
- Community Outreach
- Project Management
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE:
Confidential, Reston, VA
Senior Media Specialist (Social Media Lead)Responsibilities:
- Manages Bechtel’s social media platforms in accordance with the company’s social media strategy; develop, implement, and measure the success of social media campaigns; and execute traditional media tactics. Recommend and implement innovative approaches based on research and trends that strengthen the company’s social media effectiveness. Provide guidance on social media and work directly with local management, executives, as well as with other colleagues around the world. Also provides training and educational resources to teach employees how utilize social media and be advocates on external platforms.
- Served as acting media relations lead during vacancy of position and currently serves as deputy to the global media relations manager handling all digital aspects of media relations.
- Collaborate with corporate stewardship/corporate social responsibility team to digitally engage with our strategic partners and have represented the company at several signature/strategic partner events.
- Serves as content editor for Bechtel.com managing all content for the newsroom portion of the website. Also collaborates with the internal communications team to execute internal social media strategies and solutions including the president/coo blog, guidance on our internal social media platform, and internal social engagement for business meetings and internal functions.
- Serves as the communications chair for the Reston chapter of “Women@Bechtel,” an employee resource group dedicated to creating an open platform and equal opportunities for women in the organization.
- Acted as a consultant on various communications, strategy, and operations-related projects for Department of Defense (DoD) clients.
- Provided clients with communications, public affairs, and operations management services, along with the development and execution of training and brown bags.
- Also assisted clients with developing internal social media, operations, outreach, and communication strategy guides. Possess Secret Security Clearance.
- SECRET security clearance.
Social Media ManagerResponsibilities:
- Created strategic communications/outreach plans and managed the social media program for the MHS Strategic Communications team.
- Oversaw the social media programs for all component organizations that fell under the MHS and directly reported to the director of strategic communications. Also ran monthly social media working group meetings to update and maintain cohesive messages across the organization.
- Developed social media charters and guidelines for the MHS and its components. Created a social media guidebook to teach internal communicators how to use social media and facilitated social media brownbag courses for the strategic communications lead team and senior leadership.
- Lead social media campaigns for all conferences and special events, including the development and implementation of social media strategy. Also created a budget and worked with conference vendors and planners to make sure social media was incorporated in all aspects of the events.
- Monitored and maintained day-to-day activities on the main military health social media accounts.
- Served as the awards program manager entering the department in communications related award contests.
Public Affairs Program SpecialistResponsibilities:
- Served as the blog manager for the “DoD Live Blog,” the official blog of the Department of Defense. Duties included writing original blog posts; updating and editing posts; and managing all blog content that was placed on the DoDLive.mil
- Served as a social media specialist updating and interacting with audiences on Twitter, Facebook and Delicious.
- Served as the program manager for the DoDLive Bloggers Roundtable. Duties included managing upcoming roundtables; seeking interviewees; reaching out to a list of regular and topic specific bloggers to participate; moderating the roundtable; and compiling after action reports with statistics from the event.
- Wrote special stories for the American Forces Press Service which were distributed throughout the services and national publications
- Created blogger outreach lists for specialized audiences, along with doing media tracking and analysis.
- Served as the awards program manager and helped to win the department over seven awards during tenure.
Public Affairs SpecialistResponsibilities:
- Wrote and researched military health related articles, news releases, brochures and talking points. Wrote content for the online media room and announcements page and managed the content for the awards website.
- Acted as project manager for many areas including: GovDelivery; media distribution; media tracking/analysis; and awards program.
- Created and developed media outreach lists for specialized audiences including military, public health and social service related organizations.
- Developed a communications plan for the Military Health System Conference and served as media planner for the conference. Duties included creating a conference media plan, setting up and developing the media room, writing communications plans and coordinating and executing media interviews.
- Helped to introduce social media to the Military Health System and served on and helped create the TRICARE New Media/Social Media Team.
Public Relations and Marketing Associate
- Wrote copy and did editing for in-house publications: including newsletters, annual reports, and best practices. Wrote scripts and speeches for all major events and annual meetings.
- Established professional relationships with media as the main point of contact. Oversaw several marketing and public relations campaigns.
- Worked in community outreach with other non-profits and as speaker’s bureau member and coordinated and supervised media events.
- Worked in crisis/disaster communications and led media initiatives with Hurricanes Katrina and Rita with the Central Maryland Chapter. Took the lead on media and pitched extensively to media outlets.
- Collaborated with Special Events and Fundraising doing logistics, outreach and public relations.