Quality Assurance Manager or Lean-Six Sigma Program Manager.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
A highly diverse background including team-based improvement project management and leadership. Experience includes conceiving and implementing major site-wide improvement programs and using Lean/Six-Sigma methods. Quality background in U.S., European, and Asian industrial environments. Have provided training to hundreds of Team Leaders, including team improvement methods and Lean/Six-Sigma techniques. Program efforts have resulted in significant measurable results, as well as, encouraging positive institutional culture change. Experience as manager of Quality Engineering, Quality Control, Chemical Quality Control, a Medical Clinic, and Safety functions. Education and training includes Certification as a Six-Sigma Black Belt, Master's Degree in Quality Assurance, a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Chemistry, and training programs in Six-Sigma/Lean, Biomedical Devices and Quality Engineering. Excellent written and verbal communication skills with significant experience with high visibility presentations and briefings. Extensive successful experience interacting with top and senior management, regulators, and customers. Very active in Quality Assurance and other domestic and international professional society communities.
SUMMARY OF RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
Confidential, Menlo Park CA, 1989 – 2010 Integrated Performance Management
- Technical support for SLAC’s improvement teams in various areas in this National Laboratory. Consultant to Stanford University campus implementing team-based productivity, quality, and customer service improvement initiatives in business support areas for the President’s Advisory Committee on Labor Policies. Conducted a successful Six-Sigma/Lean based process improvement initiative for a high-volume service area at Stanford University. Conceived and shared with several professional society communities a new institutional team-based improvement process called General Improvement Discussion (GID). GID is designed for rapid, cost-effective application to a variety of potential problems (productivity, quality, safety, etc.) in a wide range of organizational types.
Safety Health and Assurance Department Head
- Led organization with as many as 27 employees, and a $3.6M department budget, during period of significant change and growth.
- Organizational responsibilities included Quality Assurance, On-site Medical Clinic, and Safety.
- Developed an original site-wide improvement process called Safety and Environmental (S&E) Discussions as part of laboratory's self-assessment efforts. Influenced by popular demand, the S&E program continued for eight years, involved approximately 800 teams, and achieved a dramatic decrease in reportable accidents and improved environmental performance. Conceived and chaired the Workers’ Compensation Improvement Team, developing successful initiatives to optimally manage injury claims, significantly reducing workers compensation costs.
- Provided leadership for strategic direction, on-site coordination, and technical response for a major OSHA visit to explore new regulatory responsibilities of this agency.
- Chaired Director’s Task Force on Security vulnerabilities in post 9-11 environment.
- Organized Fifth International High-Energy Physics Technical Safety Forum at SLAC.
- Quality Assurance and Compliance Department Head
- Established the new Quality Assurance and Compliance Department, which included a multi-disciplinary assessment function. Developed team-based improvement initiatives in mechanical and electronics manufacturing areas.
Quality Assurance Coordinator
- Served in the Technical Division, responsible for the institutional quality assurance program. Wrote Institutional Quality Assurance Program Plan.
Confidential, Milpitas CA, 1987 – 1989
Quality Control Manager/Corporate Quality Engineer
- Developed managerial and engineering solutions for improving the quality of products in this rapidly growing, fast-paced, high-volume magnetic media manufacturing start-up environment. Up to 23 persons in QC department.
- Received General Manager’s award for product testing solution that allowed a 1200 person plant to resume operations after a two-week shutdown.
Confidential, Santa Clara, CA; Ireland & Taiwan 1983 – 1987
Quality Control Manager/Quality Engineering Manager/Worldwide Quality Engineer
- Series of progressively responsible assignments in various magnetic media divisions.
- Led Ireland plant quality turnaround that allowed the new division to begin selling product to Apple Computer, the only significant customer at the time.
Education/ RELEVANT TRAINING/Professional activities
Master of Science, Quality Assurance
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Certifications- American Society of Quality Six-Sigma Black Belt Certification
Training- American Society of Quality; Lean Manufacturing, Introduction to Biomedical Industry, Quality System Regulations for Medical Devices, Validation of Computer Systems Used in Production and or Quality Systems (focus on Medical Device Application)
- Professional Activities
- Speaker- American Society of Quality Meeting
- Member American Society of Quality/American Society of Safety Engineers
Former President of Almaden Valley Youth Athletic Association. This organization provided youth football and basketball programs for approximately 300 boys and girls. Developed idea of targeting large Silicon Valley corporate sponsorship, in addition to traditional small business fundraising. Restored positive budget results allowing for continued operation of the organization.
Certified as a whitewater river guide.