ObjectiveTo find a position that utilizes my skills as a UNIX professional.
April,2007 - February, 2009 Confidential, Beaverton, OR Test Engineer
Testing DS3k and DS4k disk subsystems with AIX and Linux:
- Installed and configured IBM pSeries LPARs and Bladecenters using JS20 and JS21 blades for a variety of test configurations specified by LSI. Including firmware updates and software loads for various architectures involved.
- Attached Fiber Channel runs to components. Designed and implemented zoning according to MPIO specs on McData, Qlogic, and Cisco FC switches. Configured Qlogic and Emulex HBAs.
- Submitted defects to both disk and AIX manufacturers and worked with development to test and implement their new code for retesting.
- Wrote technical documents (manuals) for the DS3k and DS4k disk subsystems when interfacing with AIX/MPIO.
- Installed and tested SAN Volume Controller configurations with pSeries hosts and DS3000 and DS4000 disk subsystems.
- Implemented a NIM server for the entire test lab to use for hosts installations. Gave a short presentation on how to use the NIM server for our application.
Jan.,2006-Sept., 2006 Confidential, Wilsonville, OR UNIX Systems Administrator
Completed data merger with Movie Gallery: Completed Sequent End of Life conversion to AIX:
- Installed and configured IBM 9117-p570 LPARs for Oracle data processing of Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video store files.
- Planned LPAR layout for load balancing and redundancy. Built LPARs to customer specs. Assigned Hitachi HDS 9585 LUNs to the zoned hosts using Hitachi Hi-Command. Built Veritas volume groups and filesystems while working closely with dba's.
- Implemented Veritas Netbackup policies for each system to backup data to ADIC Scalar i2000 LTO tape library.
- System security and monitoring was setup for each LPAR using Tivoli and Tripwire.
- Maintained older AIX 7040-p671 and 7028 systems attached to ESS 800/F20 Shark disk arrays.
- Planned and implemented upgrades from AIX 5.1.0,x to 220.127.116.11 including appropriate firmware for fiber channel switches and HBA's.
- Planned and implemented fiber runs from new Brocade 3900 switches to Hitachi HDS 9585 disk array, including flashing firmware on the switches and zoning.
2000-July, 2005 Confidential, Beaverton, OR Systems Support Engineer
Pseries technical support in the following groups:
- Kernel (LVM, commands, auditing,etc) Minimized customer downtime by repairing their filesystem structures after hardware failures. Aided administrators and end users with AIX command usage.
- AP/Systape (printers, modems, serial communications, Sysback) Aided users by configuring system backup strategies and implementations. Generated license keys for product verification. Diagnosed various problems with printing subsystems including TCP/IP networking and formatting of print.
- SAN support (Brocade, McData, FastT, ESS, SANVC, SAN tape, etc) Mapped and diagnosed various fiber networks to trouble shoot both bad hardware and firmware that would cause disruption of communication in the fiber subsystems. Then help repair any AIX filesystems that were damaged due to any disruption.
- NUMA-Q hardware and software support. Remote administration of large customer base. Tasks included every aspect of system administration except database administration. Configured and installed sustems from scratch coordinated with onsite hardware technician. Troubleshoot possible bugs and system failures to end result of either user error or software/hardware problem. Contributed solutions to large troubleshooting database.
- Linux support. Configured and troubleshot various issues with RedHat and SuSe versions of Linux. Assisted VmWare support team with various issues interfacing on top of Linux.
1996-2000 Confidential, Beaverton, OR Systems Support Engineer
- After-hours support of NUMA/Q, Symmetry, AIX, and Linux systems. Remote administration of large customer base. Tasks included every aspect of system administration except database administration. Configured and installed sustems from scratch coordinated with onsite hardware technician. Troubleshoot possible bugs and system failures to end result of either user error or software/hardware problem. Contributed solutions to large troubleshooting database.
1993-1996 Confidential, Burbank, CA UNIX Systems Administrator
- Supported user community of 150 users in client/server atmosphere. Performed hardware and software upgrades and installations of Sequent computer systems. Identified and resolved disk bottlenecks by moving heavily utilized databases to separate busses. Monitored user activity to balance system load. Designed an implemented tax forms for payroll. Responsible for applying updates to in-house applications. Automated nightly backup scripts for operators. Resolved printing issues with Xerox 4050/4090 printers.
Classes taken while employed 2000-2005:
- AIX Kernel Internals
- DS4000 FastT Disk Subsystems
- 2105 ESS 'Shark' Disk Subsystems
- AIX 5.x Migration
- AIX troubleshooting
- AIX Fundamentals
- SCSI Internals
- B.A., Music Education.
- AIX v 6.1, 5.2, 5.3 administration
- SAN Volume Controller
- DS Storage Manager
- ESS Specialist
- Fiberchannel and SAS connectivity
- EMC and Hitachi disk arrays
- Network (TCP, DNS, ESCON, FDDI, Ethernet)
- Veritas Netbackup and LVM
- Some ksh and Perl scripting