- Striving to develop his thinking, data analysis, and communication skills.
DATA ANALYSIS: Data manipulation (merges, sorts, transposes) & display (scattergrams, histograms, error bars), descriptive statistics; ANOVA, chi - square, correlation, Monte Carlo modeling*, randomization, regression (linear, multiple, logistic), Student’s t, survival analysis*, time series (*=limited).
TECHNICAL COMMUNICATION (2002-2011): six co-authored research papers (three involving data graphics and/or applied statistics), two book chapters, & a book (combined, 197 pages of published technical writing in forestry, geology, & dental public health); data reports, grant writing ($25,000).
OUTREACH: Teaching & public speaking.
LANGUAGES: Native English; fluid conversational Japanese (ten years study including 2.5 yr in Japan).
SOFTWARE: SAS (BASE, 3.8 years, Access (forms, queries, Visual Basic), SPSS.
- Identified the medical-science needs of this wellness IT start-up, found journal articles to fill the gaps, & wrote technical summaries for new medical/IT initiatives.
ADMINISTRATIVE ANALYST 2 (IT)
- Did quality control on annual HEDIS report (HMO “report card” of treatment efficacy) for 500,000+ members using Access, Business Objects, Excel, & SAS (30, 30, 20, & 20%, respectively).
- Hired at the 3-yr SAS-level, I mined HMO databases in support of research projects, clinical trials, & the e-health revolution (SAS 50%, Access 50%).
- In Access, I also set up a database for tracking 12,000 subjects through a multi-year trial.
- Working among study coordinators, principal investigators, clinicians, & MS/PhD biostatisticians, I used SAS (85%), Access, SPSS, & Excel (5% each) to produce statistical reports tracking 2000 subjects through four NIH-funded clinical trials
- (1) a dental rinse for slowing elderly tooth loss
- (2) a low-cost alternative to adolescent braces
- (3) fluoride treatment of baby teeth
- (4) an anti-bacterial chewing gum
- I also analyzed a database of 23,000 kids submitting Medicaid dental claims in New Hampshire.
- For all, I wrote new SAS programs or used code written by prior analysts.
- Between deadlines, I improved data quality, provided researchers with ad-hoc datasets & analyses, & taught applied statistics.
- Gathered & advised clients, & placed them in mutual funds & stocks in taxable, retirement, & educational accounts. Managed $2.3 million from 85 households.