- interested in a position that aligns with my knowledge and experience in Microsoft SQL Server production. As a Microsoft certified DBA, I have an extensive experience in backup, recovery, maintenance, automation, high availability and disaster recovery along with performance tuning and query optimization skills. I opt for an environment that promote and value interpersonal skills, lifelong learning, innovation and analytical skills.
- Microsoft certified Professional in SQL Server administration with more than 5 years of proven experience in providing 24/7 support on production and non - production environments.
- Excellent understanding of conceptual, logical and physical database modeling and software development life cycle(SDLC)
- Strong understanding of the database development life cycle including data modeling, database coding, testing, and implementation
- Provisioning an Azure SQL Server and SQL Azure database through Azure web portal and Azure Powershell
- Configuring server level and database level firewall rules to connect to secure SQL Azure server
- Setting up Active Geo-Replication using Azure web portal and Powershell
- Database administration on Production and non-production MSSQL Servers with server configuration, performance tuning, and maintenance with troubleshooting capabilities.
- Installing and configuring SQL Server on standalone and clustered environments, SSIS, SSRS and SSAS and Applying Service packs, patches, hotfixes and cumulative updates.
- Excellent understanding of SQL Server architecture and Database storage structure
- Have experience with Normalization (1NF, 2NF, and 3NF) techniques for improved database performance in OLTP environments.
- Worked in using recursive CTEs, CTE, temp tables and effective DDL/DML Triggers to facilitate efficient data manipulation and data consistency
- Experience in implementing Business logic by using T-SQL statements like stored procedures, triggers, and user-defined functions (UDF).
- Working on Virtualization technologies like VMware, Virtual Box, and Hyper -V
- Migration of databases Side-by-side and in place upgrade from old version to newer version and from one edition to another edition
- Experience in analyzing Performance, Query optimization and tuning, creating Indexes and re-written stored procedures
- Worked with system administrators and developers to migrate databases from SQL Server 2008 to SQL Server 2012 and SQL Server 2016
- Identified the I/O and memory bottlenecks, blocking and deadlocks caused by complex queries using SQL Server Activity monitor/profiler, Dynamic Management Views (DMV) and handling them by implementing better Query Execution plans
- Solid experience and outstanding knowledge on High availability (HA) and Disaster recovery (DR) solutions like log shipping, Mirroring(HIGH safety and High performance), Replication(Snapshot & Transactional), Clustering and Always on
- Designing and implementing database Backups including Full, Differential & Transactional log and restoring databases based on the company’s RPO and RTO
- Excellent knowledge of point-in-time recovery of databases
- Experience in automation of administrative tasks like creating Maintenance plans, creating Jobs, Alerts using SQL agent and monitoring and troubleshooting Job Failures
- Owning, tracking and resolving database related incidents and requests, fulfilling requests and resolving incidents within SLAs.
- Responding to database related alerts and escalations and working with engineers
- Experience in Managing Windows server, Active Directory and SAN disk configurations
- Experience in Creating and deploying SSRS reports
- Rebuilding databases including user and system databases at the time of server crash and bringing back the server to online state
- Experience in Data Extraction, Transforming and Loading (ETL) packages and deploying on a production server
- Experience in supporting production environment 24/7
MSSQL Server DBA
Confidential, Laurel, MD
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Responding to developer issues and guiding them to write performing T-SQL codes.
- Worked on Administration, Database Design, Performance Analysis, and Production Support for Large (VLDB) and Complex Databases up to multiple Terabytes.
- Developed and created new database objects including tables, views, index, stored procedures and functions, Subqueries, Joins, UNIONS and also updated statistics
- Created Entity-Relationship diagrams and flow diagrams using Visio and documenting
- Created maintenance plans to automate updating statistics, reorganizing and rebuilding Indexes and check the consistency of databases
- Addressed SQL Server security issues by creating user logins with the principle of least privilege and monitoring those user accounts regularly by using SQL Profiler
- Planned and implemented Database Backup strategy with associated Disaster Recovery procedures according to RPO, RTO, and SLA of the company
- Used Windows Powershell and different Maintenance plans to automate tasks like updating statistics, reorganizing and rebuilding Indexes and check the consistency of databases
- Solved Concurrency problems of blocking and deadlocks, by viewing and tracking them using Activity Monitor and Management Studio summary page and Profiler
- Configured SQL Server Reporting service, developing and publishing reports
- Worked with developers during Capacity planning, logical and conceptual modeling and ER- diagram development of databases and placement of data
- Implemented and monitored SQL server high availability and disaster recovery solutions like Log Shipping, Mirroring, Clustering and Always On Availability Group
- Evaluating CPU, Disk I/O and Memory related bottlenecks, blocking and deadlocks by using activity monitor, SQL logs, SQL Profiler & other tools
- Installed and Configured SQL Server on virtual like VMware and Virtual server
- Responding to requested tickets and fixes any database issues.
- Working with CDC, Data Compression, and TDE
- Set up baseline workloads using the SQL profiler and database tuning advisor (DTA) which resulted in providing the missing and superfluous indexing on tables.
- Configured SSRS using configuration manager, created and maintained security roles
- Responsible for creating and deploying reports based on requirements using SSRS.
- Used Various SSIS tasks such as Conditional Split, Derived column for Data Scrubbing
- Used SSDT to extract data from multiple sources (Excel and flat files) and load into SQL Server databases and from SQL Server to Spreadsheets.
- Deploy SQL scripts in production environments, applying patches, performing code review/optimize SQL for reporting, interfaces and data conversions.
- Executed Change management scripts on daily/weekly basis
Environment: MSSQLServer2008R2/2012/2014, MSAccess, Azure, Windows 2003/2008/2012, DTS/SSIS, SSRS, Visio, Lite speed, SQL Diagrams, Index tuning wizard, SQL Profiler, Query Analyzer, HPSM, PowerShell
SQL Server Production DBA
Roles and responsibilities
- Installed, configured, administered and secured SQL server 2005, 2008R2, 2012/2014 on production and non-production in Clustered and Standalone server environments.
- Configured and monitored Always On availability group on windows failover cluster
- Re-synced availability database on all replicas using T- SQL script and manually.
- Implemented SQL Security and object permissions like creating end users and logins and assigning roles to the users and managing user permissions
- Identify orphan users in the servers, successfully migrated end users between multiple servers.
- Developed and approved T-SQL scripts to production SQL server databases
- Worked on production issues like log space full, blocking and deadlocking
- Worked in a process based environment, responded to trouble tickets with various severity levels and fix any database issues promptly to meet SLA of the company
- Implemented Change requests and infrastructure service requests on a regular basis
- Redesigned and placed the physical files of a tempdb database on their own drives.
- Reassessed database capacity growth patterns, and set up accounts for the SQL Server to avoid using the SA account.
- Posting an Incident resolution ticket, perform Root cause analysis and documenting solutions
- Performed Server buildups and decommissioning on a regular basis
- Monitored Maintenance plans and jobs to maintain database quality and troubleshooting Job Failures when they occur in the system.
- Tested Backup and Recovery strategies by simulating various recovery scenarios like loss of data files, Transaction logs, Point in time recovery
- Worked on data maintenance tasks like Reorganizing and rebuilding indexes
- Checked database Health and consistency by using DBCC commands and DMVs
- Created SSIS Packages to Extract, Transform and Load data into Reporting instance to generate the reports easily and quickly
Environment: Windows 2008R2, 2012R2, MS-SQL Server 2016/ 2014/2012/2008 r2, T-SQL, MS SQL Server Integrated Services (SSIS), SQL Server Agent, SSRS, SQL Profiler, Visual Studio, TFS, Service Now and JIRA Ticketing System.
SQL Server DBA
Confidential, Pittsburg, PA
Roles and responsibilities
- Installed and configured SQL Server 2008R2 on Windows 2003/2008 servers, applied service packs and security fixes in Clustered and Standalone environments.
- Worked extensively on installation, upgrade and configuration of MS SQL server 2008 and 32/64 bit SQL Server Cluster for SQL 2008
- Configured Merge and Transaction Replication from production to DR Servers and reporting server with multiple subscribers.
- Implemented high availability solutions for mission-critical databases with clustering and Always on Availability group
- Configured Log shipping using SQL Server Management Studio.
- Created and scheduled maintenance plans for tasks like backups and cleanups
- Monitored job and alerts, CPU utilization, Data and log file sizes and space availability Verify backups and error logs on the servers and troubleshoot any failures alerts
- Respond to trouble tickets assigned to me and fix any database issues promptly
- Tested Backup and Recovery strategies by simulating various recovery scenarios
- Monitored database quality including database consistency check with DBCC, Defrag, and index tuning and monitored error logs.
- Created ETL packages with different data sources (SQL Server, Flat Files, and Excel etc) and loaded the data into destination tables by performing different transformations using SSDT.
- Worked with system administrators to plan and estimate drive capacity and storage
- Created and modified tables, stored procedures, views, indexes triggers and UDFs
- Tuned queries and improve performance by using tools like DTA and SQL Server Profiler
- Created Active Directory Users, Computers, and Organizational Units and assigned NTFS permissions by interacting with system administrator
- Installed Virtual box and created multiple VMs and installed Windows Server 2008 R2
- Worked with System administrator for configuring DHCP and Static IP Addresses for different machines
Environment: MS SQL Server 2008/2005, T-SQL, MS SQL Server Integrated Services (SSIS) SQL Agent, SSRS, SQL Profiler, Windows 2008/2003 server, Visual Studio, and.Net Framework.
SQL Server DBA
- Perform support roles for small projects and key projects
- Installing and configuring MS SQL Server 2005, 2008, 2008R2 on Windows Server 2003,2008 and 2008R2 in standalone environments
- Tune and troubleshoot database performance issues
- Perform maintenance on servers to address security vulnerabilities and patching
- Setting up Mirroring, replication and log-shipping.
- Working with senior database administrators to manage multi-server SQL server environments
- Perform backup, recovery, installation, configuration, upgrade, and migration of SQL servers and databases
- Provide support in production, test and development environment
- Troubleshooting server and database connectivity issues
- Troubleshooting performance issues, security issues, locks and deadlocks
- Developed DR plans and automated failsafe backup remediation modules for accurate backup monitoring and reporting / Ad hoc reporting.
- Worked closely with development team for performance enhancements, code reviews and provided vital inputs in terms of index optimization, schema structures, data changes, file layouts etc.
- Working with Remedy Tickets (Any changes on staging and development environment need to Create Remedy Tickets)
- Involved in all ITIL process like Change management, Incident Management & Problem Management.
- Developed and deployed stored procedures, created triggers and audits.
- Developed Jobs for maintenance in terms of updating statistics, rebuilding indexes, scheduled full/diff/log backups, refreshing database environments periodically or on demand. Also set up notifications for failure of jobs etc.
- Developed automated processes to perform ETL and data validation
- Extracted and converted data from various sources like excel, flat file, SQL server etc.
- Performed event-handling, error-handling and debugging
- Tasked with database backup and restore, managing securities, scheduled jobs, alerts, and database mail
- Performed database integrity checks using DBCC utilities and maintenance plan configuration wizard
- Troubleshooted SQL server performance issues using execution plans, SQL profiler, statistics, index-tuning wizard, perfmon
- Performed database upgrade and migration from SQL server 2005 and 2008 to SQL server 2012 and 2016