- Has over 10 years of experience in IT industry, working as Teradata Database Administrator with strong background in Enterprise Data Warehousing.
- Specializes in designing, development, implementing, maintaining and monitoring activities on large Teradata environments to ensure optimal performance of databases.
- Has extensive knowledge of Teradata tools & utilities with skills necessary to write efficient SQL queries, optimizing the queries, identifying and analyzing SQL issues and providing high quality solutions.
- Expertise in tools and techniques required for Performance Optimization tasks.
- Has strong experience in BAR activities like scheduling, monitoring and debugging backups and restores.
- Experience with software and hardware upgrade activities, problem diagnosis and troubleshooting.
- Good experience in Unix/Linux Shell scripting and Python with focus on automating tasks.
- Experience with generating and analyzing system metrics reports, capacity planning, DBA reports to help overall performance improvement.
- Has 2+ years of experience in development and testing with Apache Hadoop ecosystems; Pig, Hive, Sqoop, Flume, Zookeeper, Oozie, Spark like tools for Big Data applications.
- Has good experience in data warehousing projects dealing with ETL, having good hands - on experience with Informatica, Mainframe, Sunopsis tools.
- Experience in different phases of software development life cycle (SDLC) process including understanding Business requirements, Analysis, Preparing Technical Design documents, Functional requirements, Low level design documents and required test case documents.
- Proficient in delivering all DBA services as per best practices, having successfully performed in both onsite and offshore roles at various clients.
- Has experience in Data Management, Architecture, System Management and Operations in varied Industries.
- Provides team leadership, excellent communication and interpersonal skills written and verbal.
TERADATA - Tools & Utilities: Teradata BTEQ, FastLoad, MultiLoad, FastExport, Teradata Parallel Transporter, SQL Assistant, Studio, Viewpoint, Administrator, TASM, TDWM, Performance Data Collection & Reporting (PDCR), Query Director, TSET, Data Mover, ARCMAIN, Teradata Wallet.
Platforms: SUSE Linux, MVS (Mainframe), Unix Sun Solaris, Windows
Databases: Teradata, Oracle, SQL Server, NoSQL
Programming Languages: Python, Unix Shell, Ruby
Big Data Analytics: Hadoop ecosystems (MapReduce, HDFS, HBase, Pig, Hive, Spark, Sqoop, Flume, Oozie, Ambari, Cassandra, Kafka), Teradata Aster
Cloud Technologies: AWS (EC2, ELB, VPC, Auto Scaling, Redshift, Route 53, RDS, S3, CloudWatch, IAM, SQS, SWF, CloudFront, Kinesis, Lambda)
ELT & BI Tools: Informatica, Sunopsis, Tableau
Archive Backup Tools: Mainframe, TARA, NetBackup, TSM
Scheduling Tools: crontab, ASG-Zeke, Control - M, UC4
- Successfully and simultaneously led two of Teradata Managed Services projects by working as Sr. Technical Consultant, to deliver DBA services to Customers having wide variety of products like; traditional data warehouses, appliances, Hadoop cluster.
- Worked closely with Client teams, Teradata PS team and offshore team as a single point of contact to ensure timely project delivery and provide solution to any issues or escalations.
- Actively involved in Teradata system upgrade and migration activities. Also, provided support during all major and minor upgrades to help ensure smooth upgrade.
- Performed query optimization by analyzing explain plan and join strategies, and partitioning large tables to improve performance of SQLs.
- Responsible for reviewing statistics collection process for missing, stale, un-wanted stats and provided recommendations.
- Implemented PDCR on production, QA and development systems. Also, scheduled and monitored PDCR jobs.
- Helped setup and periodically reviewed important portlets in TD Viewpoint. Provided recommendations as per best practices.
- Provided value-adds to help save system resources such as space, CPU, IO. Also, performed tuning of suspect queries to help resolve performance issues.
- Reviewed DBQL logging and ResUsage collection, and enabled/disabled them as per TD best practices.
- Setup and implemented backup and recovery strategies, setting up policies/schedules using backup tools.
- Developed modules to extract, process & transfer the data using Teradata utilities like; BTEQ, FastLoad, MultiLoad, FastExport and TPT.
- Worked on analyzing Hadoop cluster and different Big Data analytic tools including Pig, Hive, HBase database and Sqoop.
- Worked on Apache Sqoop for transferring bulk data from Teradata data warehouses to the HDFS.
- Used Hive to analyze the partitioned and bucketed data and compute metrics.
- Worked on providing user support and application support on Hadoop infrastructure.
- Created visualizations and reports for the business intelligence team, using Tableau.
- Resolved issues with batch jobs like; No more spool space, Duplicate errors, stale statistics and other common ETL specific errors.
- Monitored ETL batch jobs using Teradata Viewpoint and provided support in timely manner to resolve any batch job failures.
- Responsible for preparing weekly/monthly/quarterly reports and conducting review meetings with client team, PS teams and MS teams to review system charts, team's achievements, any outstanding issues and future action items.
- Responsible for ensuring all Managed Services deliverables defined as per the Common Minimum Processes and are performed on every project.
Sr. Technical Consultant
- Responsible for providing services on Customer’s newly setup Teradata Data Warehouse Appliance 2800 Production and Test systems.
- Working closely with Client DBAs and Developers team to help them by working on different database issues and providing solutions as per Teradata best practices.
- Prepared documentation and educated developers, who are from non-Teradata background, on how to debug common Teradata issues and how to take advantage of Teradata's parallelism architecture.
- Worked on different efforts of query tunings and helped Client save lot of system resources.
- Helped to debug Teradata related issues for the jobs running on Informatica.
- Worked on and setup Teradata Parallel Transporter (TPT) jobs to migrate data between QA (Test) and Production Teradata systems.
- Utilized Workload Management portlets in Teradata Viewpoint and created custom ruleset to better manage utility sessions.
- Setup some DBA maintenance scripts to identify inactive users on the system and users whose password going to expire in certain days. Also, setup audit scripts to track create/modify user activities on Teradata systems.
- Managed database objects security access through appropriate roles and rights.
- Periodically performed Multi Value Compression to free up disk space.
- Helped setup archive-restore backup jobs to have regular backups of important database objects, using Teradata's proprietary tool TARA (Tiered Archive Restore Architecture). Worked with DBA, Developer, Network teams to come up with appropriate backup schedule.
- Designed and developed several DBA alert scripts like; Orphan HUT locks, Password expiration, Account inactivity etc.
- Worked on to enhance RLS (Row Level Security).
- Helping Client DBAs in understanding different Teradata concepts and providing knowledge on Teradata DBA activities.
Lead Database Administrator
- Was responsible for maintaining all DBA functions on Production and Test Teradata platforms in operation 24x7. Platforms included Teradata's latest Active EDW 6700 for Production and 5600 series nodes for Test.
- Worked closely with Client's DBA and System Programmer team for managing their Teradata systems and remained responsible for all deliverables and implementation as a single point of contact with the Client.
- Actively involved in various major internal projects within Confidential 's like; Teradata hardware and software upgrades, data migration from TD 12 to TD 13, design and development of a technical architecture.
- Identified and implemented different states, rule sets and workloads in Teradata Active System Management (TASM) to ensure accurate allocation of various system resources to different structured and ad-hoc requests.
- Analyzed system performance and managed system resource consumption. Identified high resource intensive requests and tuned them in order to effectively use over allocated resources to other requests & processes.
- Generated Performance Data Collection & Reporting (PDCR) reports, analyzed and identified these reports for data or system performance anomalies and provide the desired solution to the Client and implemented it.
- Successfully implemented Multi Value Compression (MVC) every six months to free up disk space on Teradata production systems. This improved system performance significantly and also helped Client on cost efficiency.
- Monitored the performance of the Data Warehouse for smooth on-going operation of Production Server to accommodate structured & ad-hoc requests.
- Helped standardize Backup and Restore process on Client's systems by performing several enhancements like; creating master table to identify what databases/tables are not getting backed up and automatically add those objects to the archive jobs for All AMPs Archive or Cluster Archive or Database Level Archive, based on the object size and their load frequency.
- Identified requests that affecting Teradata systems and took appropriate actions using Teradata proprietary tools like Teradata Viewpoint and Teradata Manager.
- Worked with Client's development & user team, understood their requirements and helped them in implementing their requests.
- Successfully worked on Query Tuning & Optimization. Have completed the task to investigate worst performing end user or batch user queries. Have helped the individual users in tuning their high resource consuming queries.
- Identified and eliminated unused and outdated database objects for better performance and availability of resources. Generate DBA reports other system performance related reports. Also, generate capacity planning (forecasting) reports.
- Utilized Teradata Administrator, Teradata SQLA, Teradata Manager, Teradata BTEQ and Teradata Query Director to effectively administer Teradata systems.
- Delivered new and complex high quality solutions to Client in response to varying business requirements and creating and managing user accounts.
- Provided various value additions to the Client in terms of mainframe batch job enhancements. Also, helped them to setup various DBA maintenance jobs on Mainframe. This helped Customer to better manage/maintain their systems.
- Used Teradata Multiload, Teradata Fastload for data movement between two Teradata systems.
- Monitored batch jobs which are using Teradata Load utilities and take appropriate action when any issue occurred during their operation.
- Used Teradata ARCMAIN for taking important data backups, so in the event of disaster or any system issues, the data can be recovered to its original state.
- Depending upon the time of the day and data user traffic, prioritized the workload on Teradata systems by using Teradata Query Director (TQD) load balancer.
- Implementation of data and table-level security, setting up access rights and space rights for Teradata environment.
- Used Teradata Systems Emulation tool, emulate a Production system by providing the ability to export and import all of the information necessary to fake out the Teradata optimizer in a test environment. This helped in query debugging and resolve Production system issues.
- Worked on Teradata Aster related requests such as; user creation, role creation/grant, loading data from Teradata-to-Aster and Aster-to-Teradata using SQL-MR functions, generating space consumption reports, setup table and user retention for audit purpose.
- As required, created tickets to fix an issue or a bug. Also, created tickets for Production implementations. Completely adhered to Customer's ticketing system policies.
- Attended Meetings with Client for further necessary actions and status.
- As a team lead, responsible for mentoring offshore team on Teradata and provide knowledge transfer on project related work and remain single point of contact between Client and offshore team.
- Was responsible for completing Client specific requirements, coordinating with Client's DBA and development teams for the same and distributing the work among team members.
- Successfully worked on several system performance enhancements which helped Client saving system resources.
- Generated Teradata system performance reports on regular basis and analyzed the system behavior.
- Observed the entities causing issues or affecting Teradata systems and took appropriate action against them.
- Performed several workload balance enhancements for smoother operation of Teradata systems.
- Involved in query tuning and performance optimization tasks. Reached out to the requesters of bad queries and helped them to use the system optimally.
- Successfully worked on data statistics collection process enhancements and streamlined the old process.
- Used Teradata's proprietary tools like Teradata Manager, Teradata Viewpoint to monitor and manage Client's Teradata systems. Also, using these tools, performed database health checks and tuned the databases.
- Involved in workload balancing. Used workload management tool and methodology to manage the system workload to help Client business team to meet SLA.
- With the in-depth expertise in the Teradata cost based query optimizer, identified potential bottlenecks with queries from the aspects of query writing, skewed redistributions, join order, optimizer statistics, physical design considerations (PI/USI/NUSI/JI etc) etc. In-depth knowledge of Teradata Explain and Visual Explain to analyze and improve query performance.
- Analyzing sessions with high spool usage, high CPU usage, high disk usage, and high skew etc when alerts are received.
- Performed several Teradata-Mainframe batch enhancement tasks. This helped Client in cost savings.
- Deliver new and complex high quality solutions to Client in response to varying business requirements and creating & managing user accounts.
- Handled Confidential 's Primary production system having 120 nodes, 3120 AMPs and Secondary production system having 66 nodes and 1716 AMPs. Also handles Development & Test systems.
- Have worked with Client and users, understanding their requirements and helping them in implementing their requests.
- Used Teradata Manager & Teradata Administrator to Monitor and Manage Teradata Database.
- As per the requirement, created Teradata objects like Databases, Users, Profiles, Roles, Tables etc.
- Helped onsite DBAs in modifying Databases, Users, Roles & Profiles.
- Successfully worked on Query Tuning & optimization. Have completed the task to investigate worst performing end user or batch user queries. Have helped the individual users in tuning their high resource consuming queries.
- Successfully managed Databases, Users on Production as well as Test systems.
- As per request and requirement, granted or revoked database access to the users. Managed database objects security access through roles, which is a Teradata standard.
- Monitored the system, identified the queries & requests affecting the system and took appropriate action against them.
- Implemented Partitioned Primary Index. This improved system performance.
- Developed an automatic data statistics collection process which used to run from Unix machine. This helped saving CPU cycles.
- Reallocated disk space when there was a request for additional space.
- Performed Multi Value Compression (MVC) to free disk space on the system.
- Regularly monitored database and table space usage and took appropriate action when the usage exceeded the threshold.
- Identified the data skewness and took required action to minimize the skew impact.
- Executing monthly, weekly and daily reports in UNIX and automated the scripts using shell script.
- Worked on releasing Teradata utility locks of failed Fastload or Multiload jobs to avoid blocking on the system.
- As per the request from Client, copied or moved database objects from one Teradata system to another.
- Successfully executed change requests for data definition changes required on the system. Frequently co-ordinated with Client's development team on the same.
- Restricted Teradata Manager Users to some Menus & Options access within Profiles.
- Defined alerts using Alert Policy Editor to monitor Teradata system to take proactive actions like database space exceeding threshold limits by sending email, killing idle session for more than x hours.
- Performed data backups on Nearline system, which was Confidential proprietary technology.
- Engaged in the activity to perform successful Workload management on Teradata systems.