Proven Senior SQL Server Database Administrator capable of performing a significant variety of positions within a database environment. I have extensive experience designing, maintaining, implementing, tuning and administering SQL Server databases. Broad experience in many facets of the SQL Server Environment including working with 3 rd party vendors and all levels of users.
- SQL Server 2017
- SQL Server 2016
- SQL Server 2014
- SQL Server 2012
- SQL Server Integration Services / Data Tools
- SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS)
- Performance tuning and problem resolution
- Database Development, T - SQL, Stored Procedures, Indexes, Functions, Database security
- SQL Server Replication
- SQL Server table partitioning
- Idera Compliance Manager
- Idera SQL Secure
- Redgate Tools
Confidential, Southfield, MI
Senior Database Administrator
- Develop, tune, monitor, and enhance performance of SQL Server 2017, SQL Server 2016, SQL Server 2014, and SQL Server 2012 databases running on multiple clustered database environments ranging in size up to multiple terabytes running in multiple clustered environments worldwide. Write and enhance t-SQL. Work with developers to tune queries and develop efficient new code.
- Write and implement plans for upgrading SQL Servers to more current versions.
- Provide background information to the data architects for determining need to upgrade hardware. Research and verify whether current configurations will adequately support new projects and provide alternate recommendations if necessary.
- Review proposed database schemas for design and potential issues within the database sever environment.
- Review locks and waits on the SQL Servers to detect potential problems.
- Write project plans for database related activities.
- Perform data loads as necessary including cleansing of data received in a variety of formats.
- Develop and resolve problems with SSIS packages.
- Set up database replication.
- Monitor database operations including performance, backup and restores, SQL agent jobs, and data loads. Resolve issues and correct as necessary. Handle database access requests and database security issues. Research and install hotfixes and perform scheduled server maintenance.
- Worked on SQL Server disk and server consolidation projects including identifying databases and performing the related project work. Perform SQL Server upgrades from SQL Server 2008 R2 to SQL Server 2012 including both side by side and in place upgrades.
- Evaluate and test 3 rd party products for use on the company SQL Servers. Tested, evaluated, recommended and implemented Confio Ignite and SentryOne as the SQL Server monitoring tools.
Confidential, Marysville, Michigan
SQL Server Database Administrator
- Functioned as the lead DBA with responsibility for all SQL Servers running on the corporate network. Designed, implemented, tested and monitored performance of SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 databases ranging in size up to 500GB. Worked with developers to create efficient applications including stored procedures, user defined functions and views. Developed complex T-SQL and stored procedures to meet specialized needs by the development staff. Resolved performance issues including tuning queries and recommending new and changed indexes. Review t-sql code for compliance with company standards. Work with data warehouse and reporting teams on development of SSIS and SSRS applications including efficient coding methods and general development.
- Monitored database operations including performance, backup and restores, and SQL agent jobs. Resolved issues with SQL agent jobs and correct as necessary. Handled database access requests and assure systems are properly secured. Coordinated necessary operations fixes as necessary with network team. Participate in afterhours support for database issues.
- Functioned as a change control officer. Reviewed and developed technical specifications for proposed projects, provided feedback to the appropriate team members. Enforce required procedures and standards to assure all code is implemented in a SOX compliant manner. Developed and refined the procedure for applying object changes to the SQL Server environments. Provide necessary SOX information about the SQL Servers to the auditors.
- Developed the SQL Server upgrade and consolidation plan which allowed the company to stay current on its platforms and save money with hardware consolidation.
- Implemented and manage the SQL Server replication processes using both snapshot and transactional replication. Manage and oversee the replication process used to move data from the company legacy AS400 to the SQL Servers using a 3 rd party product. Implemented table partitioning to performance issues.
- Tested and researched 3 rd party applications for possible use on the company network. Obtained test software and worked with vendors to get all questions resolved. Selected and implemented Quest Spotlight on SQL Server as the companies SQL monitoring product.
- Worked with the Analytics & Reporting team to assure a successful implementation of SQL Server Analysis Services. Reviewed development efforts for appropriate use of fact and dimension tables, implementation of best practices and assurance of best possible overall performance.
Confidential, Dearborn, Michigan
SQL Server Database Administrator
- Designed, implemented, tested and monitored performance of SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 databases. Wrote complex stored procedures, user defined functions, and views using t-sql. Work with developers to create efficient applications including stored procedures, user defined functions and views. Worked closely with reporting team members to develop complex reporting to meet user needs using SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS).
- Oversaw and maintained database maintenance including rebuilding of indexes, capacity planning, and review of patches to determine their usefulness on the company SQL Servers. Developed the SQL Server backup strategy and implemented it. Developed and implemented the upgrade plan for SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005.
- Revised the method used to move objects into production better utilizing scripts and configuration files.
- Tested and recommended high availability options for the SQL Server database systems including both database mirroring and clustering.
- Developed and recommended changes to the load for the corporate data warehouse using SQL Server Integration Services replacing a T-SQL based system. This reduced load times and resulted in increased system availability.
- Ran testing of 3 rd party products proposed for the company network.
- Performed testing, rollout, design and implementation of OLAP cubes using Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS).
Confidential, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
SQL Server Consultant
- Developed, tested, and implemented an SSIS template to allow conversion from DTS to SSIS.
- Converted DTS packages to SSIS integrating new SSIS features and capabilities and verified all functionality worked correctly.
- Designed, wrote, and tested stored procedures for implementation of new client on the corporate system.
Confidential, Livonia, Michigan
Senior Database Analyst
- Designed, implemented, and monitored performance of SQL Server 2000 databases.
- Worked with development teams when designing new applications providing advice on optimal table design and development of stored procedures.
- Wrote stored procedures using T-SQL and corrected issues with existing stored procedures.
- Researched performance questions including correcting indexing, rewriting T-SQL for improved efficiencies and using SQL Profiler to isolate and identify problems.
- Worked with end users to refine SQL query statements to obtain correct results and improve efficiencies.
- Developed and maintained DTS packages to move and transform data as required by the company databases.
- Interfaced with vendors when researching and evaluating new products including running in house testing and resolving concerns with them.
- Performed data modeling using ER/Studio.
- Assisted with disaster recovery including testing of scripts and backup and restore procedures.
- Maintained and answered questions about the 3rd party system used to reach the company legacy databases.
- Developed the plan for migrating current company databases to SQL Server 2005 including introduction of new features and conversion of DTS packages to SSIS.