Over 7 years of experience in the IT industry as BI Engineer which includes requirement gathering, analysis, and implementation of database, warehouse and Business Intelligence solutions utilizing Microsoft SQL Server.
- Database: MS - SQL Server 2012/2008/Azure SQL, MS Access
- T-SQL Programming, Dynamic SQL
- Data Modeling: Erwin, MS Visio
- Integration Services (SSIS)
- Analysis Services (SSAS, OLAP Cubes)
- Reporting Services (SSRS, Report Builder)
- Business Intelligence: Tableau
- SDLC: Agile, Scrum, Waterfall, and Spiral
- Programming Language: Java, C#
- Development Tools: BIDS, SSDT, SSMS
- Source Control: Team Foundation Server (TFS)
- SharePoint 2013/2010
Confidential, Charlotte, NC
Technical Environment: MS SQL Server 2014, SSDT, T-SQL, SSIS, C#, TFS, Redgate
- Worked in multiple web application projects, maintained the back-end server systems and conducted performance tuning.
- Modified business logic of the web applications using C#.
- Created database objects such as tables, stored procedures, and user-defined functions on SQL Server Management Studio.
- Maintained back-end database which participated in web application system.
- Performed performance tuning session for database table and column data type, altered column to proper data types and constraints for tables to ensure the database integrity and consistency.
- Modified structure of the user defined stored procedure by applying multiple variables and dynamic SQL.
- Created set operation to replace cursors, and used DBCC command and Dynamic Management View to analyze index fragmentation.
- Re-organized and re-built indexes to improve index usage.
- Built Execute SQL Tasks on SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) Event Handler to log runtime information and error messages to the audit table.
- Researched the constraints and relations between database tables in the back-end server.
- Re-built data modeling and updated ETL packages and data loading stored procedures.
- Checked column dependencies and created stored procedure to conduct data cleansing for front-end inputs.
- Implemented slowly changing transformations with SSIS to maintain historical data in the data mart.
- Implemented SSIS packages utilizing checkpoint, logging, breakpoint, and transaction options.
- Automated the ETL process with SSIS package execution schedules utilizing jobs.
- Migrated SSIS packages from development to production environments with package configurations.
- Used multiple transformations in SSIS to meet the business requirements by extracting data from heterogeneous source systems, transforming and finally loading into the staging database.
- Deployed and configured SSIS packages to the production server with parameters in the SSISDB catalog.
Confidential, Seattle, WA
SQL BI Developer
Technical Environment: MS SQL Server 2012/2016, SSDT, T-SQL, SSIS, SSRS, Tableau, ER-Win, SQL Profiler, TFS
- Interacted with business users and stakeholders to draft/outline the business requirements.
- Attended JRD/JAD and collaborated scrum meetings for the implementation of different projects for functional support.
- Created SSIS packages for data scrubbing, aggregating, and cleansing with multiple tasks/transformations.
- Designed and developed SSIS packages to extract data from multiple data sources; loaded data into destination tables.
- Improved the performance of SSIS packages with non-blocking transformations and multiple properties.
- Managed the execution and security of SSIS packages on the Integration Services Server.
- Developed reports in SSRS such as drill down, parameterized and cascading parameterized as demanded by business users.
- Performed detailed analysis of slow running reports to identify the bottleneck and proposed appropriate solution.
- Scheduled caching, snapshots and subscriptions utilizing shared schedules in SSRS.
- Designed and developed multitude reports in Tableau Desktop such as bar charts, stacked bars, symbol maps, heat maps, text tables per business requirements.
- Created bins, groups, sorts, and sets to create focused and effective visualizations utilizing Tableau.
- Created calculated fields, mapping and hierarchies using Tableau.
- Utilized data blending and cross database joins on Tableau Desktop to fetch data from multiple data sources to create side-by-side comparison reports.
- Connected to data sources utilizing live and extract mode depending upon the type of source and data that best suites the business needs.
- Utilized TFS (Team Foundation Server) to maintain multiple versions of documents, scripts and reports on the server.
SQL BI Developer
Technical Environment: SQL Server 2016/2012, SSIS, SSMS, SSDT, T-SQL, Erwin, TFS, Tableau, SQL Profiler, Azure
- Collaborated in JRD session with project manager and business analyst to analyze the project-goals and prepare BRD documents.
- Created stored procedures, triggers, user-defined functions, and views for newly added data records.
- Utilized temporary tables, table variables, and CTEs in writing complex queries and storing data.
- Utilized explicit transactions to maintain ACID properties for queries and procedures.
- Implementing join, set operator, and apply operator to combine data from multiple data sets.
- Implemented temp table, table variable, dynamic SQL script for complex business logic under TSQL environment.
- Involved in implementing error handling in SQL scripts utilizing try catch and transactions.
- Created used defined stored procedure and functions based on business demand for operation and calculation.
- Analyzed dimensional model architecture identifying required modification on dimension and fact tables to improve report rendering performance.
- Developed packages in SSIS to aggregate and prepare data for report purpose and resolved issues during runtime.
- Created SSIS packages with SSIS and custom loggings to log runtime events and help in debugging.
- Validated data loads to destination with SQL scripts and SSIS packages
- Configured SSAS storage and partitions, and Aggregations, calculation of queries with MDX, Data Mining Models, developing reports using MDX and SQL.
- Designed complex SSAS solutions using multiple dimensions, perspectives, hierarchies, and measures groups.
- Developed various style SSRS report with drill down, drill through, and parameter to enhance user experience.
- Deployed SSRS report and dashboard into SSRS report manager for report sharing with both data driven and standard subscription.
- Delivered SSRS reports to multiple file formats such as PDF, word, and Excel format based on business demand.
- Created report snapshots and caches to improve performance of SSRS reports
- Configured resources on Microsoft Azure platform to developing IaaS, PaaS cloud platform for data processing.
- Migrated databases from local database engine onto Microsoft Azure SQL database for proof of concept.
- Implemented Team Foundation Server TFS as Version Management for Microsoft Technologies.
Confidential, Charlotte, NC
Business Intelligence Engineer
Technical Environment: Microsoft SQL Server 2012, Teradata SQL Assistance, Toad for Data Analyst, SQL Profiler, SSIS, Tableau, SAS, SharePoint, Microsoft visual Studio 2010
- Communicated with Business partners of the Enterprise Independent Testing team and the Compliance tests stakeholders to confirm the Business Requirements.
- Documented business requirements from JRD sessions with users and subject matter experts
- Reviewed business requirements with development teams (front end and database) to define functional requirements
- Created and provide Data population based on the Data collection plan and to Test Owners.
- Developed standardization process of data in destination based on source data analysis
- Analyzed requested changes in the data models and reviewed with dev team for practicality of it
- Loaded data to Excel files utilizing SSIS packages to analyze trends in data using Excel functions
- Created stored procedures and SQL scripts with system functions and views to analyze meta data of database
- Created and edit the Script Task in the SSIS package using variables to improve automation task schedule.
- Wrote MDX expressions for cube calculations and KPIs, and then created OLAP Cubes, dimension for analysis to meet the business requirements using SSAS.
- Interacted with Tech leads, BAs, QAs and other developers discussing product execution performance through JAD meetings and Daily Scrum meetings and provide improvement plan to Compliance managers.
- Tested SSIS packages and fix SQL code issues from test execution using SQL Server Data Tools.
- Developed Tableau dashboards with multiple visualizations such as slicers, bar charts, tables, matrices, tiles, maps.
- Implemented action filters, parameters and calculated sets for preparing Tableau dashboards and worksheets.
- Utilized excel sheet, flat files, SQL Server, Oracle, and Tableau extract source for designing reports in Tableau desktop.
- Created drill down, drill through, cascaded, sub, and parameterized reports in SSRS.
- Involved in creating complex formulas and calculations within SSRS to meet the needs of complex business logic.
- Provided 24/7 technical support for Tableau production issue and performance concern.
Technical Environment: MS SQL Server 2008/R2, TSQL, TFS, SSIS, SSAS, SSRS, Tableau, SharePoint 2010, Erwin, DTA, SQL Profiler
- Gathered business requirements as endeavor that planning and the implementation phase of a 3E (Law Suit product).
- Designed functional and technical documents, report templates and reporting standards for the report developers.
- Reviewed reports and recognized gaps in data; identified source for missing data.
- Interacted with Tech leads, BAs, QAs and other developers discussing accounts/policies mapping methods through JAD meetings and Daily Scrum meetings.
- Conducted JRD sessions with different Auditors, Business Users to capture and document the BRD.
- Analyzed tables, views, stored procedures and indexes in support of various databases and ETL applications.
- Implemented error handling technics such as try-catch, raise error, @@error techniques.
- Embedded DML triggers on tables for implementing business-specific rules and advanced constraints.
- Scripted multiple database maintenance tasks in SQL Server for reducing manual processes and related overheads.
- Created column store indexes on various tables in the OLTP database to enhance SQL query read operation.
- Enforced referential, user defined and entity integrity by creating Triggers, Foreign Keys and Unique keys on tables.
- Profiled source data (SQL database tables and flat files) with different methods in SSIS package
- Developed source to target data mappings for the multiple ETL solutions including data type and transformation logics.
- Designed multi-package SSIS solution to load historical data into enterprise OLAP database.
- Profiled source data (SQL database tables and flat files) with different methods for SSRS report.
- Analyzed and implemented strategies for improving the performance of existing reports and further leveraging old SSRS reports in recent reports as click through or sub reports.
- Generated Tableau Dashboard in Tableau Desktop with actions and parameters to enhance user experience.
- Created Tableau Dashboard with Action and parameter for user interaction.
- Developed Tableau Data extract with multiple complex tableau calculation and LOD Expression.
Confidential, Fort Lee, NJ
Technical Environment: MS SQL Server 2008, BIDS, SSIS, SSAS, SSRS, Tableau, TSQL, Erwin, TFS
- Actively involved in gathering system specification requirements for the project through JRD sessions from business users and Subject Matter Experts(SMEs)
- Involved in creation of functional requirement specifications (FRD) and supporting documents for business systems, experience in database design process and data modeling process.
- Created workflows, process diagram and gap analysis to derive requirements for existing systems enhancements.
- Created an estimate of the analysis project time based on specified business requirements as been followed up.
- Coordinated with Business analyst for data cleaning and variables selection to ensure records in database meaningful and analyzable.
- Developed Dynamic SQL script with join and filtering logic pulling data from data mart for analysis purpose based on business requirement.
- Maintained referential integrity, domain integrity and column integrity by using the available options such as constraints etc.
- Analyzed and modified database objects such as stored procedures, user defined functions, triggers and indexes utilizing T-SQL.
- Analyzed Triggers to update master tables to authenticate the transactions depending on business logics.
- Modified database structures as directed by developers for test/develop environments and assist with coding, design and performance tuning.
- Optimized procedures and functions utilized by ETL Packages to reduce ETL Process time.
- Implemented Master/Child Packages so that Master Package should be scheduled which will in turn initiate the execution of other packages.
- Designed ad-hoc SSRS reports in the test environment for data validation utilizing SSRS.
- Implemented formatting for reports by applying parameters, and assigned parameter defaults and data types in SSRS.
- Created filled map for user interactive report in Tableau desktop.
- Configured Tooltip in Tableau report to make report clearer by including calculation formula.
- Created reports on data validation and sent them to the concerned users.
SQL Server Developer
Technical Environment: MS SQL Server 2008, TSQL, BIDS, Erwin, SSRS, SSIS
- Actively involved in gathering system specification requirements for the project.
- Implemented temp objects such as CTEs and Table variables wherever necessary to improve the performance and for simpler code design.
- Assisted DBA in writing T-SQL scripts to ensure the Database Integrity and fine tune the Databases and Consistency.
- Created new database objects such as Procedures, Functions, Indexes and Views using T-SQL.
- Implemented System String Functions such as CHARINDEX, PATINDEX for retrieving the part of the string from a table filed.
- Implemented Dynamic SQL for user customizable queries to be answered by the SQL Server.
- Implemented SSIS Packages to perform ETL Operations from multiple data sources including excel and text files.
- Analyzed/ debugged the issues on production environment for SSIS packages and provide solutions by adding new tasks and/or transformations.
- Incorporated Error Redirection during ETL Load in SSIS Packages.
- Optimized reports by optimizing the embedded T SQL queries or using optimized stored procedures in Data Sets.
Technical Environment: MS SQL Server 2008, SSIS, SQL Profiler, TSQL, BIDS, Erwin
- Updated the documents with all the changes that take place throughout the development phase of the database and maintained a version of old documents.
- Helped Front End development team by creating views, stored procedures and UDF’s which are used in presenting the data or modifying the data on web pages.
- Fine-tuned slowly running queries by utilizing Execution plans and SQL Profiler.
- Wrote complex queries which uses multiple JOINs, Sub queries and Sep Operators.
- Designed SSIS Packages to transfer data between servers, load data into database, and archived data file from various heterogeneous sources such as SQL Server, Oracle, Excel, CSV etc.
- Created ad-hoc reports, and complex Enterprise reports (drill down, and drill through reports, parameterized reports, and cascading report)
- Generated test data and tested the database to meet the functionalities deliverables in the project documentation and specifications.