- Data engineer with over 15 years of experience in DBA/Architect/Developer roles (primarily on MS SQL Server platform) in various business environments: insurance, web - commerce, securities trading, banking, energy, legal, SaaS hosting of applications with global customer base.
- Several years of DevOps experience in Agile environments.
- Provided solutions for mission critical OLPT, DW/DSS (SSIS and SSAS) highly available database systems; HADR architectures for business critical data using all range of native (backups, log shipping, replication, mirroring, fci clusters and Always On availability groups) and 3rd party tools.
- Over 20 years of IT experience in development, administration, management of systems development projects on MS platforms.
- SQL Server versions: 6.5 - 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, PDW, Azure SQL Database.
- Project and team management experience. Experience in regulated environments: SOX, PCI, HIPAA, GDPR.
Confidential, San Francisco, CA
Senior SQL Server Engineer
- My responsibilities included optimization of SQL Server instances, establishing performance baselines and creating test cases supporting mixed workload (TSQL, Python, Tableau)
Confidential, Mountain View, CA
Principal SQL Server Engineer
- Performing health checks on dozens or sql server instances (2016 SP2)
- Building an inventory and support documentation
- Advanced instance configuration
- Workload analysis, capacity planning
- Troubleshooting of ongoing production issues (backups, AG groups, replication)
- Query tuning, advising developers on sql server internals and best tsql practices
- Installation and configuration of AlwaysOn Availability Groups (including Distributed AGs)
- Migration to Azure (IaaS) from on-prem datacenters
- Automation of DBA tasks with PowerShell
SQL Server Solutions Architect
- Primary goals included upgrade to SQL Server 2017 (installation of new instances, objects migration and code testing), creation of ETL processes in SSIS between NoSQL sources (JSON, MongoDB) and SQL Server.
- Automation of deployment, configuration and monitoring with PowerShell and DSC.
Confidential, San Francisco, CA
Senior database engineer
- Continuous review and optimization of existing sql server 2016 instances.
- Upgrades from across multiple environments (Production, Stage, Migration, Test and Development)
- TSQL code reviews; optimization/refactoring of existing code base
- Proactively monitor database trends to improve database systems and processes using Solarwinds and Splunk
- Identify and own database related risks, management of support tickets with TFS
- Provide recommendations for analysis and evaluation of systems improvements, optimization, development and/or maintenance efforts including, but not limited to capacity planning
- Creation of clean-up and data archival processes
- Identify and correct performance bottlenecks related to database operations
- Support for timely production releases and adherence to release activities (Git, Jenkins)
- Contributions to development of Disaster Recovery plans and data retention strategy
- On call support 24/7 and primary for 12 hours windows during business days
- Peer to peer replication setup and maintenance between US and EU
SQL Server Solutions Architect
- Create multistage migration plan for moving from 2008R2 and 2012 instances to 2016 EE on Windows 2016 Server (Hardware and app/system inventories, dependencies matrices, RPO/RTO time and scenarios).
- Implement initial stage, involving 5 instances. Project included migration from FCI clusters to Always On availability groups and instance consolidation.
- Implement pilot solution for in-memory OLTP
- Implement pilot solution utilizing columnstore indexes for legacy data warehouse
- Work with developers on analyzing performance impact of migration on existing TSQL code, using query store
Confidential, Oakland, CA
Senior SQL Server DBA
- Review, documentation of existing SQL Server 2008R2 and 2012 installations.
- Recommendations to C level management on data processing (ETL, retention, security).
- Revision of existing HADR solutions. Validation of RPO/RTO times. Implementing improvements.
- Establishing automated monitoring and maintenance procedures for over 1000 databases using combination of third party (Solarwinds DPA) tools and custom tsql scripts.
- Performance troubleshooting of third party and in-house applications - analysis based on waits methodology.
- Reduced wait times by 100+ hours per day on production instances.
- Establishing set of baseline performance counters.
- Identification and tuning of highest impact queries.
- Upgrades of SQL Server instances (VM, bare metal, 2 and 4 node clusters on Windows Server 2012 on Nimble storage arrays) with minimal amount of downtime.
- Trend analysis of resource utilization and capacity planning.
- Troubleshooting of clustered instances of SQL Server on Windows 2008 R2 and 2012
- Creating backup policies with SQL Safe, including automated validation.
- Administration of multiple SSRS instances, upgrades and consolidation.
- Development and maintenance of SSIS packages for ETL processing
- TSQL development
- TSQL code performance tuning
- Working with multiple vendors on resolving technical issues.
SQL Server Solutions Architect / DBA
- Work directly with executives to find the best solution with a given set of budgetary, time and personnel constraints.
- Review SQL Server performance (SLA compliance, establishing benchmarks and baselines).
- Provide executive overview of existing DB infrastructure and suggest areas of improvement.
- Server consolidation (including virtualization)
- Provide database hosting system architecture (server, storage, and networking), design (db schema and application data access guidelines; optimization of TSQL code, SQL server configs and db options). Establish development best practices for TSQL DML and DDL
- Review (or create) database service SLA, validate RTO and RPO compliance.
- Security configuration evaluation.
- Jump-start a company’s failed SQL Server deployment project; fix configuration issues (server, db or client).
- Handle highest level of support escalation calls about SQL Server, including vendor interaction (Microsoft, IBM, HP, Oracle)
- Review and tune TSQL code
- Manage health of SQL Servers with DBCC checks, backups, restores, indexes and stats maintenance, monitoring using custom TSQL and PowerShell scripts.
- Establish performance baselines and benchmarks. Performance troubleshooting using waits methodology.
- Architecture and design of scalable solutions based on SQL Server (bare metal, virtual hosting).
- Reliably improve database performance by examining hardware, software, and storage configuration.
- Provide scale up (hardware upgrade) and scale out (app refactoring, DB partitioning) solutions.
- Design and implement HADR solutions, on instance (clustering) or DB level (availability groups, log shipping, mirroring).
- Design and implement data transformations solutions (ETL processes in T-SQL, SSIS).
- Server consolidation, data source merging.
- Design and deliver custom .
- Tune T-SQL to increase application performance and concurrency.
- Provide replication solutions (setup, monitoring, troubleshooting).
Confidential, Chicago, IL
Sr. SQL Server DBA
- Installation, maintenance, upgrades of multiple SQL Server instances (enterprise editions of versions 7 and 2000) on NT and Windows Server platforms in multiple environments (production, staging, development and testing) in multiple locations (local and remote data centers)
- Automating of maintenance, monitoring and security auditing in multi-server environments (over 100 servers in total) in TSQL and Perl scripts
- Disaster recovery planning, testing and implementation (site mirroring, backups, failover procedures)
- HADR and multi stage backup procedures (SAN, tape, optical)
- Installation of clustered instances over SANs (HP hardware).
- 24/7 on-call production environment support.
- Capacity planning for VLDBs (over 4TB)
- Implementation and support of both OLTP and DSS (Data Warehouse) databases
- Creating of logical schemas and physical estimation for both relational and star-based tables
- Designing, implementing & maintaining DTS Packages for ETL
- Designing star schema and OLAP cubes
- Support of multiple locations (Chicago, New York).
- Shell scripts to automate database operation and database monitoring.
- Database tuning
- TSQL query tuning, developer and support
- Provided primary database support for application database systems Great Plains, SAS.
- Vendor liaison on product evaluation (Oracle, IBM)
- New DBA in our environment.