- Over eight years of IT experience in database Administration, Design Development and Support of MS SQL Server 2014/2012/2008 R2/2005 in Production, Test, Development and Cluster Server Environments.
- Extensive experiences in MSSQL Server Database administration including monitoring and troubleshooting, database migrating, job automation, backup/recovery, maintenance, and alert managing.
- Hands on Experience on installation and configuration of MSSQL Server 2008/2008R2/2012/2014,
- Experience in database administration activities for DB Security,
- Experience in performing administrative tasks: Database files management, Backup/restore, Database Mirroring,
- Experience in RDBMS design, performance tuning, optimization in SQL server 2008R2/2012
- Performed database migrations on the different environments,
- Knowledge and experience with Security and Audit Management,
- Expertise in AlwaysOn Availability Group(AAG) and HA/DR Troubleshooting.
- Implemented the new SQL Server 2012 mechanisms like data compression, online indexing, contained database, security principals.
- Experience in Replication - Snapshot and Transactional and extensive knowledge in Merge replication.
- Handled multiple SQL Instances on Cluster environment for Server Consolidation,
- Experience in implementing high availability using Log shipping, and knowledge of DB mirroring in SQL server 2005/2008R 2/2012/2014.
- Experience in supporting Very Large OLTP Database and troubleshooting the performance bottlenecks.
- Experience in writing T-SQL (DDL, DML, and DCL) .
- Expert in implementing business logic by using T-SQL, Stored procedures, triggers (DDL, DML) and functions (inline & Multivalued Table functions.)
- Experience in Batch processes, import, Export, Database Monitoring tools and Application support.
- Proficient in physical, logical database design by using Erwin tools.
- Hands-on working experience with analyzing query plans, using extended Stored Procedures, managing indexes and locks, troubleshooting deadlocks.
- Rebuilding the indexes at regular intervals for better performance.
- Experience in using Dynamic Management views (DMV) to trouble shoot and improve server performance.
- Experience in Disaster Recovery Planning, Execution and Security Management Operations.
- Experience in creating SSIS packages. Experience in DTS Migration and Metadata Management: Migrating DTS packages to SSIS, Package Migration,
- Migration experience from MS SQL Server 2005 to MS SQL Server 2008/2008R2, MS SQL Server 2008R2 to MS SQL Server 2012/2014.
- Extensively worked on 32 bit, 64 bit clustered and standalone server en vironments.
- Experience in using Data Partitioning for large tables of data to increase performance.
- Experience in using SQL server tools like SQL Server Enterprise Manager, SQL profiler, and SQL query Analyzer.
- Experience in using SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services) for data extraction, transformation and loading across different database like Oracle, MS Access, and flat files,
- Worked extensively in Query analyzer and profiler for tuning queries using a variable for characteristics and query costs.
- Knowledge of Relational Database Management System(RDBMS)
- Flexible and versatile to adapt to any new environment and work on any project.
- Experience in Visual Studio 2005 Business Intelligence Reports, SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services (SSRS), Crystal reports.
Operating Systems: Windows NT/2008/2003/XP/Vista, Server 2008, Linux, Unix.
Database: MS SQL server 2014/2012/2008 /2005/2000, Oracle
Database Tools: Profiler, DTS, Management Studio/Enterprise Manager, Query analyzer
ETL Tools: SQL Server Integration Services(SSIS), SQL Server Reporting Services
SQL Server: Analysis Services(SSAS),Data Transformer services(DTS)
Languages: T-SQL, Visual Basic, C#, Fortran, C++, MATLAB, XML
Data Modeling Tool: Erwin, Regate, Lit Speed
Application: Microsoft office Suite
SQL Server DBA
- Installed and configured MS SQL Server 2012/2014 on Windows 2008/2012 Server .
- Modeling and architecture of the SQL Server 2012/2014 databases .
- Administrator tasks like managing users, roles and permissions.
- Configuring, tuning and optimizing SQL Server 2008R2/2012/2014
- Maintained the security, integrity and availability of SQL Server.
- Implementing and Managing AlwaysOn Availability group.
- Configuring and implementing contained Databases.
- Managed devices and databases, scheduled tasks, monitored server and database performance, Monitored allocation of memory and procedure cache.
- Migrating SQL Server 2005/2008R2 to SQL server 2014 d atabases on a clustered environment.
- Created Maintenance Plans that help for the performance of SQL Server, which covers database Integrity check, update database Statistics, effective disk utilization and index maintenance.
- Data migration using bulk copy program and DTS from Oracle Databases and Flat files.
- Worked on Client/Server tools like SQL Server Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer.
- Planned database security measures and created and updated database document.
- Creating SQL Server Logins and assigning Roles and Authentication Modes as a part of Security Policies for various categories of User Support .
- Created Alerts for successful or unsuccessful completion of scheduled Jobs.
- Diagnosing and tuning the server optimal performance using SQL Server 2012 SQL Profiler and Database Engine Tuning Wizards.
- Performance tuning on stored procedures, indexes, and triggers.
- Used SQL Server Profiler to tune the performance of the stored procedures and functions to improve the report generation time.
- Maintained high availability of databases using Database Mirroring and Log Shipping.
- Transferring the data(ETL) to Data warehouse by SQL Server 20012 Integration Services.
- Responsible for creating, deploying and scheduling new SSIS packages.
- Migration of the data from DTS to SSIS packages.
- Created reports using SQL Server Reporting Services.
- Designing and testing various disaster recovery mechanisms to ensure 100% data recovery in the event of failures
Environment: SQL Server 2008R2/2012/2014 Enterprise Edition, T-SQL, Visual Studio 2010, Windows 2008 platform, SQL Profiler, DTS, SSIS, SSRS.
SQL Server DBA
- Worked on SQL Server 2008R2/2012 failover clustering which is built on top of a Window server 2008 cluster.
- Completed administration of MS SQL Server version 2008R2/2012.
- Designed, added, eliminated, and maintained indexes, organized tables, recommended changes to application development team.
- Appropriately tuned database applications and monitored their performance for achievement of efficient database access for applications.
- Implementing and managing different type of replication models like Snapshot, Transactional, and Merge.
- Involved in complete database design including conceptual, logical and physical models.
- Performed data extraction and migration activities for populating test (or non-production) and customer databases.
- Analyzed business recovery requirements and maintenance strategies and plans for critical databases.
- Performed data backup, recovery, and transfer operations.
- Effectively managed disk space using LITE SPEED for Database Backups
- Provided maximum protection using AlwaysOn availability group.
- Creating views and stored procedures and optimizing them as required by front-end developers for easier implementation on web pages.
- Developing stored procedures, triggers, views and adding/changing tables for data load and transformation, and data extraction.
- Used functions to create predefined conditions and prompts to filter the data and dynamic user selection
- Used Dynamic Management Views (DMV) for monitoring the performance of the server
- Migrated and tested DTS packages to SQL Server 2008R2/2012 Integration Services.
- Developing Crystal Reports used to generate all daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly Reports including current status.
Environment:: Windows 2005/2008, MS SQL Server 2005/2008R2/2012/2014, T-SQL, Visual Studio 2008, Crystal Reports 8.5, Lite Speed, MS Access, DTS, BCP, SSIS, SSRS
SQL Server DBA/Developer
Confidential, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Performed installation, configuration and maintenance of MS SQL Server 2005/2008R2 in development, test, and production environment,
- Managed security on the production and development environments.
- Monitoring server activities and resolving various performance issues by running DBCC commands, trace SQL Server Profiler, DMV, Windows performance monitor, Database engine tuning advisor, using activity monitor and execution plan,
- Analyzed the complete environment for resource utilizations and suggested upgrades to increase I/O and avoid bottlenecks.
- Applied service packs and hotfixes,
- Day-to-day administration of live SQL servers,
- Maintaining and verifying backup to check its validity and recoverability, scheduled automate jobs to take backup as per company policy, and applied different recovery model for each environment,
- Automated consistency checks of the database (DBCC) for SQL Server.
- Administered the space usage of the various databases for various applications.
- Proposed and implemented various high availability options to maintain the high availability of SQL server in various environments.
- Suggested and implemented various SQL Server services environments.
- Upgraded SQL server 2005 boxes to SQL server 2008R2 and acted as the point of contact for all developers.
- Tested point in time recovery of the production 2008R2 databases using the traditional backup/restore technique,
- Configured and implemented replication and Log shipping,
- Created and managed stored procedures, indexed view, user-defined function and trigger and database constraint to meet businesses requirements.
- Extensively developed SQL scripts for maintaining administrative task.
- Worked on monitoring and tuning of SQL script. Created upgraded script for production database
- Converted many DTS packages to SSIS packages during the up gradation of the servers.
- Involved in performance tuning and query optimization,
- Creating SSIS packages to import and export data from various data source and destinations like Oracle, My-SQL, and Access to/from SQL Server,
- Fixed and rebuilt many SSIS packages during the migration,
- Analyzed many databases in MS SQL Server environment for performance issues,
- Involved in tuning various reports generated using SSRS,
- Documented the various observations made and suggestions on various environments,
Environment: Windows 2005/2008, MS SQL Server 2005/2008R2, SSRS, DTS, SSIS, Erwin, SQL Server Profiler, T-SQL, SQL Loader, Database engine tuning Advisor, Upgrade Advisor.
Confidential, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Participated in Data Modeling (Logical and Physical Design of Databases), Normalization and building Referential Integrity Constraints,
- Implemented Data partitioning, Error handling through TRY-CATCH-THROW statements, common Table Expression(CTE)
- Backing up master & system databases when necessary.
- Worked on client/server tools like SQL server Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer to Administer SQL server.
- Created and integrated user defined functions and stored procedures for reporting purposes.
- Designed and developed various reports
- Analyzed expensive queries and tune the same to optimize application and system performance,
- Created Database Maintenance Plan for the performance of SQL server, and Re-indexing
- Planned the complete backing up of database and restore the database.
- Created stored Procedures, Triggers, Cursors, Tables, Views and other statements for various applications, maintained referential integrity and implemented business logic.
- Involved in performance tuning of the database and T-SQL queries using execution plan.
- Automated and Monitoring jobs and making sure all jobs ran successfully every night.
- Used SQL Server profiler to monitor the performance of an instance, debug T-SQL statements and stored procedures and functions.
Environment: : Windows 2003, MS SQL Server 2005/2008R2, SQL, T-SQL, SQL Query Analyzer, Profiler