- Technically skilled and highly - experienced Cognos Developer with expertise in; reporting requirements gathering, report migration, report development and QA testing.
- Adept at increasing reliability and maximizing productivity by introducing operational efficiencies through the development and implementation of complex reporting standards.
- Provide a genuine commitment to quality and client satisfaction; work closely with clients and end users to ensure optimal efficiency and quality results.
- Demonstrated success in problem solving with a proven track record of utilizing technical troubleshooting strengths to identify and effectively resolve all existing and potential issues.
- Well-versed in all phases of business intelligence and data warehousing projects related to Cognos reporting, including requirements analysis, documentation, development, testing, implementation and maintenance.
- Extensive experience in designing and implementing complex reporting solutions using Cognos Report Studio 8.4, 10.1 & 10.2; able to evaluate report performance and make changes as required to support end user experience.
- Adept at writing SQL, creating complex tabular SQL queries in Cognos and utilizing SQL for interrogating data, data mining, research and quality assurance.
- Highly skilled in creating and modifying models and packages using Cognos Framework Manager as well as building complex prompts using cascades and conditional authoring.
- Utilized Cognos Framework Model and package that crossed several databases in order to create reports that were used as the foundation for multiple dashboards.
- Delivered dashboards were used by analysts to identify Customer internet security threats in a timely manner that also allowed the analysts to explain to the customer cause, source, and remediation of these threats.
- These dashboards allowed the analysts to meet SLA requirements that if not met required Confidential to pay fees back to the customer.
- Successfully analyzed, designed and implemented a complex report set for a multi-million dollar client. Reports delivered included standard Cognos List and Crosstab report for client consumption along with a set of complex Burst report sets that delivered in excess of 5000 reports on a weekly basis.
- Met deliverable requirements (SLA) at a rate of 98%, exceeding the contracted 95%. Regularly ran SQL scripts to validate data and improve report efficiency and performance allowing for the automation of the weekly deliverable.
- Implemented a set of 9 Burst Reports delivered on a quarterly basis for a very high profile multi-million dollar contract.
- Customer was a well known insurance company that required the data for quarterly Confidential filings. I was the sole resource assigned to the delivery of the reports once the data was available.
- I was recognized for meeting the contracted SLA 100% of the time over a period of 5 years.
- Designed, tested and implemented a PowerPlay cube that included numerous dimension and metrics allowing the review of data such as Emergency Room Visits, Hospital Admissions and Hospital Beds Days to support Executive Decision making for budgetary, infrastructure and staffing purposes.
- PowerCube data updates were automated and required no hands on modification for 6 years after initial implementation.
- Recognized for exceptional customer service while supporting both internal and external customers.
- Known for exceptional response to customer requests for customizations and addressing issues in effective and innovative ways related to report sets designed and/or assigned to me.
- Hands on experience working with and developing in versions 7, 8 and 10 (including 10.2) of the Cognos BI Suite of tools including Cognos Framework Manager, Report studio, Power Play Transformer and Cognos Connection.
- Strong experience in creating and publishing packages in Framework Manager from varied data sources.
- Strong complex reporting skills; including complex List Reports, Cross-Tab Reports, Summary and Detail variations, Power Play Cubes including Drill-down capabilities and Drill-Through Reports, and Burst Reports.
- Strong understanding of dimensional modeling of Star Schemas and Snow-Flake Schemas Methodologies for building enterprise data Warehouses.
- Interacted with Customers for requirement gathering, effective Analysis and to provide end-user training.
- Excellent Cognos Dashboard development skills in Cognos 10.2, including using html to auto-refresh.
- Strong experience in client interaction and gaining an understanding of business application, business data flow and data relations.
- Excellent analytical skills, working to understand customer use of data and employing that knowledge in the development process and training customers in usage of reporting solutions
- Worked extensively with SQL Server 2005/8, Excel, DB2, MySql and MS Access to analyze, validate and troubleshoot data at the source level.
- Mentored peers in tool functionality, methods, logic and implementation of reporting solutions.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Analyzed existing database schemas and actively worked with data architects to design star and snowflake schema models to support The users reporting needs and requirements.
- Utilized advanced features like Conditional Formatting, Render variables and style variables in Report Studio in generating multipage Reports.
- Created CPF (Project files) and Published packages from the FM Models
- Created Query subjects, query items, summaries, ranking and complex optional and required filters
- Maximized performance and reusability of Complex Queries by implementing pass-through, various join and union strategies, forcing execution of queries at the database level and controlling query execution methods including concurrent and sequential processing.
- Vast experience working with burst reports, setting up page sets, master-detail relationships and controlling output names and locations, including output to email as required.
- Developed Complex Prompt Pages, including Cascade prompts, various List, Dropdown and Check Box prompts and Conditional Prompts that are hidden or shown based upon values selected in previous prompts and prompt macros where appropriate.
- Participated in the migration, testing and remediation of reports from Cognos 7 to 8, Cognos 8.4 to 10.1 and Cognos 10.1 to 10.2.
- Troubleshooting and remediation of root cause error due to logic, join and data type issues.
- Designed and Prepared Training Material for the external users.
- Created List Reports, Cross tab Reports and Charts to support the reporting of Key and Clinical performance indicators (Bed days, ED visits, etc.)
- Implemented Security for Data access, Object level access and Package access
- Used Cognos Connection extensively for organizing, security, scheduling and distributing reports
- Participated in workshops for gathering requirements.
- Analyzed impact on reports due to the changes in the Source systems (e.g. Column additions or removal, data type changes).
- Modified the Framework Manager Models to in corporate the new data elements.
- Developed Power Play Cubes for more robust data analysis.
- Implemented security into Cognos Transformer Models.
- Published Cubes to Cognos 8 Analysis Studio using Framework Manager
- Responsible for documenting the code changes as per the User Change requests.
Technical strengths include: Cognos BI tools, MS SQL, Cognos Framework Manager, Cognos Dashboarding, Impromptu, Microsoft Office (Advanced Excel), ETL Concepts, Data Warehousing, PowerPlay Cubes and Transformer.
Skills Summary: Cognos 7, 8.4, 10.1.1, 10.2 including Report Studio, BIA, Framework Manager, Transformer, WorkSpace, WorkSpace Advanced, Advanced Dashboarding, Cognos Connection, SQL Server 2000/2005/2009 , DB2, MySql, MS Excel, MS Word, MS Access, MS PowerPoint Salesforce CRM for organizational and project management purposes SSIS
Senior Cognos Developer
Confidential, Atlanta, GA
- Collaborated with other developers to reverse engineer current Cognos reporting environment.
- Successfully eliminated dozens of duplicate models, packages and reports accumulated over years.
- Created new model and package to support rebuilding valid reports and future development.
Confidential, Sandy Springs, GA
- Developed custom reports and dashboards for the Confidential that allowed the Analysts to respond to our customer’s internet security threats faster and more efficiently. Implemented dashboards that potentially saved Confidential millions of dollars in missed SLAs and improved customer satisfaction, thus encouraging customers to re-sign contracts for continuing services.
- These same dashboards also alleviated a Senior Manager of the responsibility of manual creation of these data sets and brought the data to a real time status.
- Participated on a team of rotating code reviewers that reduced time spent by a single reviewer allowing them to focus on other development efforts.
- Utilized SQL in multiple database environments in order to interrogate date for performance and data type issues. Databases included DB2, SQL Server, Remedy (proprietary), MySql and Oracle.
Confidential, Kennesaw, GA
- Support Business Intelligence through the development and delivery of reporting solutions.
- Responsible for gathering reporting requirements, creating functional reporting specifications and defining/deploying BI improvement opportunities.
- Create custom report and implementation strategy designs according to reporting requirements.
- Conduct data analysis, parallel testing and root cause analysis to ensure integrity/quality of reporting solutions.
- Prepare and maintain detailed reporting documentation, including production and maintenance reports.
- Facilitate report performance diagnostics and quality control assessments.
- Develop end user documentation and training materials on report consumption and ad-hoc report authoring.
Confidential, Atlanta, GA
- Provide quality client support through the delivery of Cognos reporting and development tasks.
- Directly accountable for defining reporting requirements, interfacing with client manager/end users, creating framework and technical troubleshooting.
- Work extensively with healthcare clients in extremely demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Many of the complex reports developed during tenure are used as company standards.
- Collaborate with client managers and end users to define reporting requirements and develop complicated reports.
- Analyze specifications provided by clients to identify their needs and implement appropriate action plan that outlines reporting needs and goals, projected outcome and technical specifications; convert reporting requirements to technical specifications for report development.
- Create framework manager models/packages, publishing materials to support development of reporting solutions.
- Utilize Cognos Report Studio for internal and external, on-demand and bursting use to develop complex reports.
- Manage high-volume of bursts variations output consisting of thousands of reports.
- Migrate and test all reports to eliminate potential bugs and issues.
- Troubleshoot issues with report or data source using SQL queries and QA reports; proactively identify issues and implement effective resolution in order to maintain efficiency and performance.
Confidential, Atlanta, GA
- Responsible for installing, testing and deploying Cognos products to all developers and internal users.
- Additional scope of responsibility entailed creating numerous complex reports for company departments, including finance and claims; worked closely with departments to aligned reporting requirements with their needs and specifications.
- Developed training materials and facilitated training sessions for internal customers on using Impromptu; educated all users on the application to ensure high efficiency, quality and productivity.
- Installed Cognos companywide as required, including updating application with new versions and hot fixes.
- Developed PowerCubes with complex drillthroughs.